Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wyman Stones never to late
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:08

I don't think Bill will ever tour with the band again but I think The Stones are missing a chance to make a a new album with Bill & Mick Taylor .if Mick & Keith have the songs why not ASK Bill and Mick T to get into the studio in UK where they live. Tell Mr Jones to take a rest till show time.I'm sure he won't mind after all he will be well paid.
Just think we the fans could get the album we want the full band Mick Keith Ronnie Bill Charlie & Mick Taylor Also keep Chuck on the USA side keep him for the live shows.Get Ben Waters to sit in. Sounds like the line up to make an album to remember.

Re: Wyman Stones never to late
Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:23

We all know they should do this.

But they won't!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:34

My take is that Mick is afraid of putting out a new Stones album because it might get panned. Since Mick is not writing with Keith anymore, intruducing new tunes to record will not be organic and spontaneous the way it once was. Maybe Chuck the musical director can break this impasse

Mick would rather play it safe by playing the old catalog. By playing the old old catalog as in pre-1980. Concerts are where the big money is these days. New albums are tour promotion vehicles because they don't bring in much money for anyone. Springsteen makes a lot more playing live and he is one act who probably sells a decent number of CDs on new album releases

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 23:39 by triceratops.

Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:36

thumbs up This would be a killer album. I always preferred Bill to Darryl.

But the chance they will do this is very low.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:13

Bill has his own band now. he got mad at the Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:20

duke richardson
Bill has his own band now. he got mad at the Stones.

I've gotten mad @ the stones, many times. Still, I'd play on their album if asked.

Date: December 10, 2013 00:35

what would it take to get Bill to play on it, is the question..

asking him nicely doesn't seem to be how they do things..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:57

Highwire.uk
I don't think Bill will ever tour with the band again but I think The Stones are missing a chance to make a a new album with Bill & Mick Taylor .if Mick & Keith have the songs why not ASK Bill and Mick T to get into the studio in UK where they live. Tell Mr Jones to take a rest till show time.I'm sure he won't mind after all he will be well paid.
Just think we the fans could get the album we want the full band Mick Keith Ronnie Bill Charlie & Mick Taylor Also keep Chuck on the USA side keep him for the live shows.Get Ben Waters to sit in. Sounds like the line up to make an album to remember.

All very well, but it all means nothing without the songs being good to begin with and the hunger/desire being there to make a good record.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 10, 2013 01:07

Too much pride involved. Bill and Mick quit the band that's all there is to it. As far as I think Mick and Keith are concerned, they made their bed now they have to lay in it. I really think if they were fired there'd be more of a chance at them getting back in the band whether live or studio.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 10, 2013 01:34

OK, assuming they do a new album--what if they only allow Bill to play on two tracks? He might feel slighted, having expected more involvement, then complain about them through the press, swearing "never again..."

They have already put aside their differences once for the Ian Stewart tribute album, and Bill appears on Watching The River Flow. So it's already happened recently, a new Stones studio track with Bill Wyman on board. Why do we need another one or two? What will it prove, and how will it alter the direction of The Stones' music or improve their sound?

Besides, Bill is now 77 and has admitted in recent interviews that he can no longer enjoy or even tolerate loud music. He is a Rhythm King now, and he has built an active and varied enough life in his years after leaving The Stones. Bill leads his own outfit now, makes the decisions, so I doubt that he is nostalgic for the servile limitations that he would have to fit himself back into even for just a couple of studio tracks, where Mick and Keith would be controlling everything including the volume of his bass.

Bill Wyman is now a Stone Alone, and if he ever publishes the rumored "tell-all" follow-up to that initial memoir, that will all but solidify it. You can never go home, and you can never be young again. We have The Rolling Stones that the passage of time has granted us, and this should be good enough for now.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 10, 2013 02:06

triceratops
My take is that Mick is afraid of putting out a new Stones album because it might get panned. Since Mick is not writing with Keith anymore, intruducing new tunes to record will not be organic and spontaneous the way it once was. Maybe Chuck the musical director can break this impasse

Mick would rather play it safe by playing the old catalog. By playing the old old catalog as in pre-1980. Concerts are where the big money is these days. New albums are tour promotion vehicles because they don't bring in much money for anyone. Springsteen makes a lot more playing live and he is one act who probably sells a decent number of CDs on new album releases

Stones albums from Steel Wheels on have generally been reviewed positively (with requisite "not as great as 1968-1972" caveats). Mick isn't afraid a new album would get panned; rather, he knows 1) it won't sell and 2) the album format is kind of a 20th century antique anyway.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 10, 2013 02:48

He won't fly that far! I had a dream recently where the Stones opened with 'BITCH' and MT was onstage with them....from the beginning to the end.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2013 04:08

It's the most logical, and most meaningful, thing they could do...Which is why they'll never do it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 10, 2013 05:59

As great a band as the Stones are/were they have missed many opportunities to do some things that the fans clearly want but that they just won't do it this being one of them.

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: December 10, 2013 07:11

The Next Day from Bowie sold well why can't the Stones do the same

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 10, 2013 08:37

Gazza
Highwire.uk

All very well, but it all means nothing without the songs being good to begin with and the hunger/desire being there to make a good record.

thumbs up

Gazza you are absolutely right, and your post says a lot more than the 5 pages thread of "Darryl a professional" or whatever it is called.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 08:37 by Torres.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 10, 2013 11:14

If Bill did come back for a studio album it would only be the real deal if Keith replaced his bass parts after he's gone home. It might be worth finding out if Taylor has any songs they could do. Once they've removed his credits we're 90% of the way to having a classic on our hands.
On a more serious note, Gazza is totally right. More than Bill on bass, Mick and Keith need to come up with some decent songs. That's about as likely as Brian Wilson writing and producing an all new album better than Smile or Paul McCartney writing a whole good album.
I think it is too late.
What it's not too late for is some more classic concerts. They don't need Bill for that. I'm looking forward to next years shows. Let's hope they maintain the momentum and performance quality from the last round and increase Taylor's contribution. If they do, we're in for some seriously good music.

Date: December 10, 2013 11:31

<it would only be the real deal if Keith replaced his bass parts after he's gone home.>

Or like they did on SW, let Ronnie do them winking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 10, 2013 14:06

Mel Belli
.... the album format is kind of a 20th century antique anyway.

A rather sad truth sad smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 10, 2013 20:51

the rolling stones from the 1960"s [including mick taylor] have a strange way of working and co-exsisting with each other.
they seem to have put on this front of one big party where everyone is having this wild time but the reality is alot of very serious hard work.

you dont just get drunk and high one night and let it bleed ends up on the tape in the morning.
i think that serious businesslike thing shows through more when bill ,charlie ,mick taylor and when he was alive stu are talking.

mick,keith and woody are big personalities and color things a certain way,bill is very dry-i"m not not travelling across the globe for two songs a night" or charlie saying he "would rather be home in bed"than being on tour.
but what they say in public doesnt matter-its cult of personality crap.if bill and mick taylor work on record with them its business.how much work,how much time,how much money.we all know they need to get serious this time and so do they,its obvious.no more half baked tour souvenirs passing for records.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 10, 2013 21:03

ash
What it's not too late for is some more classic concerts. They don't need Bill for that. I'm looking forward to next years shows. Let's hope they maintain the momentum and performance quality from the last round and increase Taylor's contribution. If they do, we're in for some seriously good music.

Let's hope they up the momentum and performance quality from the last round. It was pretty lame for the most part, except for Mick T's cameo on Midnight Rambler most nights. But we know they're going to do the same State Fair/Greatest Hits of the last go round. Yeah, they don't need Bill for that. Hell, they don't need anybody but Mick Jagger for that.

Date: December 10, 2013 21:15

they don't need anybody but Mick Jagger for that

yeah they could just as well have Jagger with the Foo Fighters..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 10, 2013 21:42

pure fantasy , all of it . if a new album was gonna happen we would have already had it.to much work and father time keeps marching on at warp speed . better to enjoy what we get i.e. the live concerts and give thanks that we have had this 50 and counting or 51 and counting .i do hope to be able to see them live again and again.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 10, 2013 23:06

24FPS
Let's hope they up the momentum and performance quality from the last round. It was pretty lame for the most part, except for Mick T's cameo on Midnight Rambler most nights. But we know they're going to do the same State Fair/Greatest Hits of the last go round. Yeah, they don't need Bill for that. Hell, they don't need anybody but Mick Jagger for that.

really?? what an odd comment.the shows i saw the band was playing really well and that opinion seemed to hold true for most everyone on this board and elsewhere.the stones don't need keith,charlie or ronnie to play their most well known songs? wow.

do you mind if i ask what shows you saw last year?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 10, 2013 23:19

Why would they want Bill? He whines and snivels and cries over the Stones since 1993. Nothing is ever good enough for him. Just a bitter old man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 23:20 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: December 10, 2013 23:26

Bill read this unisone IORR praisal of his last album (SW), and that motivated him a lot to overcome his fear of flying, scrap his band project, bury his detectors and leave his family to tour down under...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 11, 2013 01:30

The most important thing to remember is that Bill Wyman has never been of vital importance to the actual existence of the band. Though not famously so, they were The Rolling Stones before Wyman joined, and if you read the book Phelge's Stones, even after he joined some members--especially Brian--were still expressing a desire to replace him.

It is only important to fans who first became aware of the original band and who grew accustomed to his playing style and presence. But Wyman was never a core member, and so long as the core of the band remains intact, then other musicians outside that core may come and go as the passage of time and personal differences dictate.

To that core band of musicians, Wyman was only truly needed in those first weeks when he had amplifiers and cigarettes to offer. Now the band can afford its own musical equipment and vices. As Wyman himself acknowledged and illustrated in his book Rolling with the Stones, the band had placed an advert for a bass player quite some time after he had joined and become a full and "permanent" member, noting with bitter irony in the caption below the photo of the advert: "Perhaps my amplifiers and cigarettes weren't enough after all."

Truth be told, whether Bill had joined or not, The Rolling Stones would have existed and become famous regardless.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:02

lem motlow
24FPS

really?? what an odd comment.the shows i saw the band was playing really well and that opinion seemed to hold true for most everyone on this board and elsewhere.the stones don't need keith,charlie or ronnie to play their most well known songs? wow.

do you mind if i ask what shows you saw last year?

I saw the pay-per view last December. Then I witnessed in person the 1st night in Los Angeles. Lame, lame, lame. Keith managed to pull off a decent JJF. Other than Mick T on Midnight Rambler I don't remember any other highlights. Maybe Emotional Rescue because it was the only thing different. Keith can barely play anymore. Even Ron seems a little uninspired. And no one else here feels the band is flat? I doubt that.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:05

stonehearted
The most important thing to remember is that Bill Wyman has never been of vital importance to the actual existence of the band. Though not famously so, they were The Rolling Stones before Wyman joined, and if you read the book Phelge's Stones, even after he joined some members--especially Brian--were still expressing a desire to replace him.

It is only important to fans who first became aware of the original band and who grew accustomed to his playing style and presence. But Wyman was never a core member, and so long as the core of the band remains intact, then other musicians outside that core may come and go as the passage of time and personal differences dictate.

To that core band of musicians, Wyman was only truly needed in those first weeks when he had amplifiers and cigarettes to offer. Now the band can afford its own musical equipment and vices. As Wyman himself acknowledged and illustrated in his book Rolling with the Stones, the band had placed an advert for a bass player quite some time after he had joined and become a full and "permanent" member, noting with bitter irony in the caption below the photo of the advert: "Perhaps my amplifiers and cigarettes weren't enough after all."

Truth be told, whether Bill had joined or not, The Rolling Stones would have existed and become famous regardless.

What does this prove? Maybe they didn't appreciate him at first because they didn't show s*^t about bass. Over time he proved his worth. Wyman/Watts was THE greatest rhythm section in rock and roll.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 11, 2013 03:34

Sorry, to say that half of the greatest rhythm section in rock & roll was never a "core member" really misses the point of what the Rolling Stones actually are (or were) musically.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home