Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT. Songs That Sound Similar To Each Other
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 2, 2013 22:23

Sympathy For The Devil and this:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 2, 2013 22:32

^ smoking smiley

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: December 2, 2013 23:55

The Beatles song Yesterday, and the Christmas song Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Right on the part "here we are as in olden days, happy golden days of yor.....I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday"

Yup - your never going to hear ether the same again.

Date: December 3, 2013 00:21

This is quite obvious:

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: December 3, 2013 00:23

One of the more obvious ones:

Sweet Home Alabama:

Werewolves of London:

All Summer Long:

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 3, 2013 07:15

Welcome to the Hotel California.

Date: December 3, 2013 07:19

Well, I'm your Venus
I'm your fire at your desire.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 3, 2013 07:26

vox12string
The intro riff to Brown Sugar, the one at the start that's repeated 4 times before going into the main body of the song is taken from a Bill Haley instrumental break.

I was driving along one day when I heard the song on the radio & right in the middle, quite unmistakeable, was the riff, a fair bit slower than Brown Sugar. The announcer only back-announced Bill Haley as the performer but not the song I've been searching for 20 years to prove I wasn't halucinating, but to no avail

Do you mean....

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 3, 2013 12:42

howled

Ian Andersson has been talking about that:

SF: Your song “We Used To Know” is certainly an influence on “Hotel California.” Can you talk about that?

Ian: It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time… I believe it was late ’71, maybe early ’72 when we were on tour and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single. The song, I believe, called “Take It Easy.” And they were indeed the Eagles. We didn’t interact with them very much because they were countrified laid back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff. And I don’t think they liked us, and we didn’t much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other’s space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song, because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song “Hotel California” sometime later. But, you know, it’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence. It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it’s a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence. But it’s difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn’t been used, and hasn’t been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It’s harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you’re gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar.

[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: December 3, 2013 13:29

I once heard a 1920's song called something like bulldog blues by Henry Thomas?? on a radio blues documentary. Anyway the canned heat song "going up the country" is a virtually identical rip off albeit with different lyrics

Also read somewhere-and confirmed by listening-that Chuck Berrys intro to Johnny B Goode is lifted note for note from the intro to Louis Jordan's Ain't that Just Like a Women

Date: December 3, 2013 13:44

These songs start out way too similar with the lead vocals...

Date: December 3, 2013 13:49

Thommie
howled

Ian Andersson has been talking about that:

SF: Your song “We Used To Know” is certainly an influence on “Hotel California.” Can you talk about that?

Ian: It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time… I believe it was late ’71, maybe early ’72 when we were on tour and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single. The song, I believe, called “Take It Easy.” And they were indeed the Eagles. We didn’t interact with them very much because they were countrified laid back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff. And I don’t think they liked us, and we didn’t much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other’s space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song, because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song “Hotel California” sometime later. But, you know, it’s not plagiarism. It’s just the same chord sequence. It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it’s a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence. But it’s difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn’t been used, and hasn’t been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It’s harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you’re gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar.

[www.songfacts.com]

I think Ian is being very nice and generic about it, but the Eagles touring with Tull in 1971 seems to have little to do with it, as it was apparently Felder who took the chord progression to Henley and Frey and Felder wasn't with the Eagles in 1971 and anyone can listen to a Tull album of course.

The "We Used To Know" chord progression is pretty rare and unique in that it is a chord followed by it's V chord and then up a minor third to that chord and then it's V chord etc etc.

Coming up with this chord progression would be pretty rare and it would be like someone coming up with John Coltrane's chord progression in "Giant Steps" which is another pretty unique and unusual chord progression.

I know of no other songs that use the "We Used To Know" chord progression in it's whole cycle except for "Hotel California" even though the turnaround at the end of the chord progression is a bit different with some chord substitutions which are common in turnarounds.

Angie has the first part of it's chord progression being very similar to "We Used To Know" and Hotel California but then the Angie chord progression veers away from it.

It's not only the rather rare chord progression (especially in pop rock) that "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California" share, it's also big hunks of the verse melody.

"We Used To Know" is in 3/4 and "Hotel California" is in 4/4, but time signatures don't mean much in this case and it's pretty easy to alter the time signature.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-03 13:53 by howled.

Date: December 3, 2013 13:59

A "dark version" of both We Used To Know and Hotel California - released prior to the Tull track grinning smiley

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: December 3, 2013 14:19

The Jam's Start is the same as The Beatles Taxman

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 3, 2013 14:59

Rockman

Thunders had the meanest guitarsound on the market....smoking smiley

Bobby McFadden...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: December 3, 2013 15:14

DandelionPowderman
A "dark version" of both We Used To Know and Hotel California - released prior to the Tull track grinning smiley

The Nick Drake "Day is Done" song is interesting and it would be one of the few songs that does have a resemblance to "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California.

The main difference is the 6th chord which is a C in "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California" and Nick Drake seems to use it's relative minor instead which is Am and this breaks the I-V, up a minor 3rd, I-V etc pattern that "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California have but "Day is Done" is pretty close.

Maybe Ian came across Nick.

All songs transposed to Am for comparison.

As I said before the turnarounds at the end of the chord progression can change.

Day is Done - Nick Drake Recorded July 1968 – July 1969 [tommyemmanuel.files.wordpress.com]

Am E7, G D7, F Am,

turnaround Dm F7, E

We Used To Know - Jethro Tull Recorded April 1969
[tabs.ultimate-guitar.com]

Am E, G D, F C,

turnaround B, E

Hotel California - Eagles Recorded March - October 1976

Am E, G D, F C,

turnaround Dm, E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-03 15:17 by howled.

Date: December 3, 2013 15:28

All use the same riff but Ricky Nelson came first.

Ricky Nelson - Summertime

Blue Magoos - (We ain't got ) Nothin' Yet

Deep Purple - Black Night

Date: December 3, 2013 15:33

Smoke on the Water riff comes from a 60s Bossa Nova tune, Maria Moita.

Jimmy Page's riffs and sections of songs come from so many places that I'm not going to list them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-03 15:35 by howled.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 3, 2013 15:43

Come On
Thunders had the meanest guitarsound on the market....smoking smiley

I agree! smileys with beer

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 3, 2013 15:55

Free 'All Right Now'

and the Steve Miller Band 'Rock N Me'

share the same riff

Date: December 3, 2013 15:59

howled
DandelionPowderman

The Nick Drake "Day is Done" song is interesting and it would be one of the few songs that does have a resemblance to "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California.

The main difference is the 6th chord which is a C in "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California" and Nick Drake seems to use it's relative minor instead which is Am and this breaks the I-V, up a minor 3rd, I-V etc pattern that "We Used To Know" and "Hotel California have but "Day is Done" is pretty close.

Maybe Ian came across Nick.

All songs transposed to Am for comparison.

As I said before the turnarounds at the end of the chord progression can change.

Day is Done - Nick Drake Recorded July 1968 – July 1969 [tommyemmanuel.files.wordpress.com]

Am E7, G D7, F Am,

turnaround Dm F7, E

We Used To Know - Jethro Tull Recorded April 1969

Am E, G D, F C,

turnaround B, E

Hotel California - Eagles Recorded March - October 1976

Am E, G D, F C,

turnaround Dm, E

I agree, howled. Even Angie has the same progression - to an extent.

Everytime I start to play Angie for someone, they start singing Hotel California - bloody annoying! winking smiley

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 3, 2013 16:14

franzk
Sympathy For The Devil and this:

Interesting!

Another track that reminds me a little of the opening to the live 69 version of 'Sympathy For The Devil', is Bob Dylan's studio version of 'Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues' off HIGHWAY 61 REVISTED.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: December 3, 2013 16:29

First of all, stonehearted, no it's not "Shake Rattle & Roll", just got access to a 16cd collection so I'm going to have it on high rotation in my house until I clear it up once & for all.

Secondly, it was my wife who mentioned the sampling involved with the Andrew Loog Oldham's version of "The Last Time" & The Verves "Bittersweet Symphony"

Wiki mentions that they got licensing permission for the sampling but once Mr Klein saw how successful the song was they were sued for sampling too much, with the rersult of "100% of royalties going to the Rolling Stones"

Here's more info
[en.wikipedia.org]

Andrew Loog Oldham "The Last Time"

The Verve "Bittersweet Symphony"

Date: December 3, 2013 16:47

Radiohead got sued by Albert Hammond for Creep.

Date: December 4, 2013 00:59

Totally twin songs:

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:11

franzk
This is quite obvious:

It's been noted that Bowie's Fame was influenced (to put it kindly) by this song:

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:21

Steve Miller's "The Stake" is very similar to Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way".

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: December 5, 2013 01:30

the guitar intro of 'thank you' by zeppelin and guitar of 'can't you see' by marshall tucker band.

any cult song, always in the key of D, chords are usually D, C and G. 'fire woman', 'sanctuary', 'love removal machine' etc.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 5, 2013 01:48

vox12string
First of all, stonehearted, no it's not "Shake Rattle & Roll", just got access to a 16cd collection so I'm going to have it on high rotation in my house until I clear it up once & for all.

Secondly, it was my wife who mentioned the sampling involved with the Andrew Loog Oldham's version of "The Last Time" & The Verves "Bittersweet Symphony"

Wiki mentions that they got licensing permission for the sampling but once Mr Klein saw how successful the song was they were sued for sampling too much, with the rersult of "100% of royalties going to the Rolling Stones"

The sampling is minimal.

The main problem is that they borrowed so heavily from the ALO Orchestra arrangement and used much of that versions slowed down The Last Time verse melody for Ashcroft's main vocal line.

50/50 split would have been fair. Half for the melody to the original writers Jagger Richards and thus some to ABKCO, the other half to Ashcroft for his original lyrics.

ABKCO being ABKCO wanted it all and saw that they could easily get it.

Bittersweet Symphony is better than The Last Time due to his lyrics. The messy crap the crediting just further drives home the meaning of the song.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 5, 2013 19:42

I don't know what people are hearing. It's seams like people are stretching it. Two people have two eyes a nose and a mouth so they look the same. I don't think so.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home