Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Keith's amusing letter - In April of 1962
Date: November 28, 2013 11:53

<as he wrote nothing for the book>

How do you know?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 28, 2013 12:07

Keith talked, James wrote.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 29, 2013 09:37

Well, James transcribed. So the words are still all Keith's.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 29, 2013 09:41

Poor James. For every 2 words, he had to listen to that nervous laugh.

Date: November 29, 2013 09:45

I know what you mean but I think it's just become an ingrained habit. He doesn't have a whole lot to be nervous about.

Date: November 29, 2013 12:15

Aquamarine

I think it's a lil bit naive to believe that all the words are from Keith. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-29 12:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 29, 2013 12:24

stonehearted
^ Phelge's Stones, another great personal diary from that period, makes mention early on of how Keith would make weekly trips to the guitar shop to make payments on his Harmony guitar, which was on "hire purchase".

This same book confirms the Muddy painting the ceiling anecdote, only it attributes it to Brian, not Keith.

C

Date: November 29, 2013 12:54

liddas
stonehearted
^ Phelge's Stones, another great personal diary from that period, makes mention early on of how Keith would make weekly trips to the guitar shop to make payments on his Harmony guitar, which was on "hire purchase".

This same book confirms the Muddy painting the ceiling anecdote, only it attributes it to Brian, not Keith.

C

James posts here, ask him about it smiling smiley

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 29, 2013 13:33

Don't know if anyone's noticed it but "cidyr" should be "cider" and "whiskey" should be "whisky" in English.

I believe Keith was a good student so I think this letter is fake or at best an idealised version. The real Keith would have spelt correctly. Maybe he did mention his meeting with Mick to his Aunt Pat, maybe not. I also agree that Mick was Michael in those days - and apparently remained Michael to his parents until they died

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 29, 2013 13:48

exhpart
Don't know if anyone's noticed it but "cidyr" should be "cider" and "whiskey" should be "whisky" in English.

I believe Keith was a good student so I think this letter is fake or at best an idealised version. The real Keith would have spelt correctly. Maybe he did mention his meeting with Mick to his Aunt Pat, maybe not. I also agree that Mick was Michael in those days - and apparently remained Michael to his parents until they died

And Mike to his friends for all his childhood. But as I understood Jagger started to use "Mick" at the time he started to go to School of Economics to sound more edgier and 'working-class like' in that political atmosphere... So he could have introduced himself as Mick to Keith then. But Keith had known "Mike" as well...

But what goes for those "cidyr" and "whiskey", good points, but still knowing how much Keith admired America then, he could have used them to soound 'cooler', who knows...

- Doxa

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 29, 2013 13:50

That "letter" smells of bull to me. Stuff like this is the reason "Life" has been sitting on a shelf for 3 years , only half read.

The letter ?..............Blondie wrote it ! tongue sticking out smiley

sc uk

Date: November 29, 2013 14:11

Doxa
exhpart

And Mike to his friends for all his childhood. But as I understood Jagger started to use "Mick" at the time he started to go to School of Economics to sound more edgier and 'working-class like' in that political atmosphere... So he could have introduced himself as Mick to Keith then. But Keith had known "Mike" as well...

But what goes for those "cidyr" and "whiskey", good points, but still knowing how much Keith admired America then, he could have used them to soound 'cooler', who knows...

- Doxa

I've read that too, but wouldn't "Mike" be even more "working class-like"?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 29, 2013 16:24

His Majesty
Aquamarine

I think it's a lil bit naive to believe that all the words are from Keith. grinning smiley

It's not coherent enough to be anyone else's words...It has to be Keith's cause there's so much rubbish...

Date: November 30, 2013 01:52

I don't question that Keith wrote the letter--I do question the accuracy of whoever transcribed it, though.

Look at this part: when a guy I knew at primary school 7-11 yrs y'know That should obviously be "ago," not "y'know." (Similarly the letter uses an American spelling of "marvellous." ) That's what I'm dubious about, not that Keith wrote the original. It's been doctored, maybe by him, maybe by others, but it remains fundamentally his words, like the rest of the book (I may be naive, but literature is my biz, so . . . winking smiley ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 01:53 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 30, 2013 01:56

Aquamarine
I may be naive

And for that I thank you. Please don't change

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 30, 2013 03:05

Aquamarine
I don't question that Keith wrote the letter--I do question the accuracy of whoever transcribed it, though.

Look at this part: when a guy I knew at primary school 7-11 yrs y'know That should obviously be "ago," not "y'know." (Similarly the letter uses an American spelling of "marvellous." ) That's what I'm dubious about, not that Keith wrote the original. It's been doctored, maybe by him, maybe by others, but it remains fundamentally his words, like the rest of the book (I may be naive, but literature is my biz, so . . . winking smiley ).

thumbs up

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: January 14, 2014 16:37

- when a guy I knew at primary school 7-11 yrs y'know -

That's the way Keith would speak, except it is written incorrectly - which alters the meaning or the logic. It shold be:-

"when a guy I knew at primary school, 7-11 yrs..., Y'know?"

There are very few Celeb books that are written by the actual Celeb. Most are just dictated and someone has just copied a transcript - like Keith's book. Despite reading some parts 5 or 6 times, I had skipped them in the end because they didn't make sense. The book suffered from the lack of a good editor.

Keith used to write things down. Whether it was a Diary or letters he never Particularly said. I asked him a couple of times what he was writing and he'd just say to his aunt or mum. You'd sometimes walk in while he was writing - then he'd stop and put it away, It wold usually be a page from a notepad that he'd fold and put in his pocket. It could have been a diary - I don't know, we lived in chaos. Letters? I don't know. Wasn't aware of any stamps ans encelopes laying around to support that theory - although Brian wrote to the music presss and BBC.

Something could have beem posted to a relative and handed back later, or he could have just kept it all. If you recall, I mentioned his Masked Nanker X letter in my book. It was on a a page from Keith's notepad and laid around the bedroom for ages - and probably still there when we left - along with Mick's million pound cheque. I had to re-write the contents of the Nanker letter as best as I remember them - it was just a single page.

I think he may well have the originals - I still have some things from 102 as well. Although we lived close and there was no room for secrects, we didn't go thru each others pockets or open their letters (mainly Brian's letters). No one had any money, so you weren't gonna find anything by searching...))

A for the spelling of cyder etc above... Publishers change some words to make them understandandble to the US or foreign markets - they don't want to print two versions of one book. For example - Americans don't know what a lift is - but know an elevator... kerb is another...

Phelge's Stones [www.jamesphelge.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-14 16:39 by JamesPhelge00.

Date: January 14, 2014 22:39

JamesPhelge00
- when a guy I knew at primary school 7-11 yrs y'know -

That's the way Keith would speak, except it is written incorrectly - which alters the meaning or the logic. It shold be:-

"when a guy I knew at primary school, 7-11 yrs..., Y'know?"

This makes more sense, thanks--and thanks for the info and the snapshot of life at 102! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home