Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Downtown Suzie
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2013 00:10

Weirdest song in the Stones canon? The Stones' "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number"? Bill Wyman's masterpiece?

Discuss.

Re: Downtown Suzie
Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 23, 2013 00:34

Would've made an interesting b-side. I wonder if it was ever considered for inclusion on Exile since some of its tracks span back to that time-early versions at least.

Date: November 23, 2013 00:50

big4
Would've made an interesting b-side. I wonder if it was ever considered for inclusion on Exile since some of its tracks span back to that time-early versions at least.

More like a LIB cast-off with Ry Cooder, right?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 23, 2013 01:03

During a telephone call with their japanese distributor King Records from 1968 (available on the Black Box Disc 4 - remastered version) Jagger mentioned that they had just finished recording a new song for their next album, and, when asked about the title of this song, answers "It's called Sweet Lucy".

So, yes, it was obviously intended for inclusion on BB, but fell wayside when Jagger-Richards came up with more of their own songs. Initially, Jagger-Richards were a bit short of new material for BB, so (according to Bill) the other band members were asked to bring whatever songs or song sketches they had to the sessions.

Date: November 23, 2013 01:21

alimente
During a telephone call with their japanese distributor King Records from 1968 (available on the Black Box Disc 4 - remastered version) Jagger mentioned that they had just finished recording a new song for their next album, and, when asked about the title of this song, answers "It's called Sweet Lucy".

So, yes, it was obviously intended for inclusion on BB, but fell wayside when Jagger-Richards came up with more of their own songs. Initially, Jagger-Richards were a bit short of new material for BB, so (according to Bill) the other band members were asked to bring whatever songs or song sketches they had to the sessions.

You can bet that was the last time that happened!

Date: November 23, 2013 01:44

71Tele
big4

More like a LIB cast-off with Ry Cooder, right?

Right, like I said. There were tracks on Exile whose origins stretched back to LIB sessions. In fact didn't Shine A Light go back as far as '68?

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 23, 2013 02:37

who is on backing vocals? keith richards

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 23, 2013 03:10

that's a big problem with the stones. they should've kept that door open for others to contribute such as wyman. taylor possibly wouldn't have left, or at least use the songwriting excuse. wood can put a song together and should have been included more often. too bad, they could've had a far more interesting batch of songs.

Date: November 23, 2013 04:12

microvibe
who is on backing vocals? keith richards

Sounds like more than just Keith. Maybe Bill?

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 23, 2013 04:29

I love the track. It's quintessential Stones to me.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 23, 2013 04:43

Good track which seemed "finished" to a degree.
But not up to the album standard of BB..a tough album to get a guernsey mind you!

Date: November 23, 2013 10:17

Well, I love the track since I first heard it on Metamorphosis...certainly no hit single, but it's a nice little catchy tune, no worse than, let's say, Jigsaw Puzzle. But of course we're accustomed to the released trackslists of their albums and it's always difficult to imagine how outtakes that were released many years later could have fitted in or even replaced other tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-23 11:07 by alimente.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 23, 2013 11:49

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Acoustic guitar: Ry Cooder
Electric guitar: Ry Cooder
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Background vocals: Mick Jagger, Jimmy Miller & others
Percussion: Jimmy Miller
Handclaps: ---

info

HTW intro:

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 23, 2013 12:09

>In fact didn't Shine A Light go back as far as '68?

Jagger first demoed it in July 1970 with Leon Russell, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. We know that version as Get A Line On You.

N

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 23, 2013 12:51

alimente

When in 1968 did the interview happen.

Obviously this would not have been the version featuring Ry Cooder from Spring 1969. Unless of course the interview has been mid dated?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 23, 2013 15:04

71Tele
Weirdest song in the Stones canon? The Stones' "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number"? Bill Wyman's masterpiece?

Discuss.

It's not weirder than Gomper.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 23, 2013 15:11

Silver Dagger
71Tele

Discuss.

Gomper is not weird!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2013 15:15

This song was recently discussed ad nauseam in the Ry Cooder thread: [www.iorr.org]

Date: November 23, 2013 20:54

Koen
This song was recently discussed ad nauseam in the Ry Cooder thread: [www.iorr.org]

Sorry to "ad" to the nauseam.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 23, 2013 22:25

71Tele
alimente

You can bet that was the last time that happened!

I wonder what Charlie brought to the sessions. Probably a sketch of a hotel room.

Drawing by Charlie included as part of the 1966 U.S. Tour concert program.

Date: November 24, 2013 01:03

Silver Dagger
71Tele

Discuss.

It's not even the weirdest on Metamorphosis.

Family is even weirder, imo.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 24, 2013 01:23

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
71Tele

Discuss.

Gomper is not weird!

Probably not if you live in Amsterdam! grinning smiley

Date: November 24, 2013 02:06

grinning smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 24, 2013 02:21

As we would say here in italy, it's half a turd ...

Back to zero is a masterpiece in comparison!

C

Date: November 24, 2013 03:11

my vote for weirdest Stones track goes to this little "diddy"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 24, 2013 03:11

liddas

C

thumbs upYup

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 24, 2013 11:00

Recorded as Lyle Street Lucie at the Spring 1969 "Jamming With Edward" session(s) with Ry Cooder, according to Bill Wyman.
Later renamed Downtown Suzie for Metamorphosis.

Date: November 24, 2013 11:55

TippyToe
Max'sKansasCity
liddas

C

thumbs upYup

Maybe you can listen to some of that Joan Jett '80s crap rock you love so much to flush this Stones song out of your head.

It'not really a Stones song, and it doesn't sound very Stonesy either smiling smiley

They never chose to release this one themselves.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 24, 2013 12:19

big4
my vote for weirdest Stones track goes to this little "diddy"

Obviously a "demo" for Happy. Very cool, love it.

Date: November 24, 2013 14:04

His Majesty
alimente

When in 1968 did the interview happen.

Obviously this would not have been the version featuring Ry Cooder from Spring 1969. Unless of course the interview has been mid dated?

Well, the booklet info says:

Track 17 RARE TELEPHONE CALL FROM JAPAN.

Interview March 1968. Mick in London interviewed over the phone from Tokyo by the King Record Company.

The first question was: "What are you recording today?"

I doubt this interview had been misdated by the bootleggers, as later on Mick was asked if the new album will be "continuation from the last one, Satanic Majesties". So when discussing the "new album", it's clear that they are talking about what would later become "Beggar's Banquet", although Mick mentions that "we don't have a (album) title yet, at the moment we're just recording the songs".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home