Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman's Books
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 12, 2013 16:39

Stoned Alone and Rolling with The Stones. I'm sure both books are worth buying as Wyman is known as a collector and great chronicler of events. Probably lots of great photos, as well. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but which one has the most information about Mick Taylor..or is he just treated as a mere blip on the radar screen?

Re: Bill Wyman's Books
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 12, 2013 16:53

Both are definitely worth reading, being packed with hard facts (although they do contain errors, despite Wyman's famous penchant for journals and accuracy). His first book, Stone Alone, was criticised for being dry, whereas Rolling With The Stone feels more trivial with its abundance of pictures, fact boxes and memorabilia.

The latter has a fair amount of info on Mick Taylor scattered throughout the pages that are relevant, but certainly not a huge amount. It's dominated by the 60s, probably because the Stones worked most intensely during that period. I also get the feeling that Wyman is more fond of the 60s than the 70s, perhaps because he was absent during some of the most legendary drug-fuelled moments. If you're looking for tons of rock 'n' roll debauchery, his books are not for you.

Stone Alone has almost nothing about Taylor, since it only covers the time up until Hyde Park '69, but instead a fair amount of stories relating to Brian Jones. I believe Bill had the outspoken goal to give Brian what he felt was some well-deserved redemption visavi the "unholy trinity" Jagger-Richards-Oldham.

Myself, I'm looking forward to Bill's next book, if it is in fact true that he's working on a true followup to Stone Alone that should pick up at mid-1969 and cover the rest, dryly written or not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 16:55 by LieB.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 12, 2013 16:57

Stone alone is mainly focused on the 60s period. Interesting like reading a balance sheet, yet very informative. Not much on Taylor though.

Rolling is mostly pics coming from BW's archives + some notes. Not very informative. Not much on MT. And awful editing & quality of prints, if you ask me.

C

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:03

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll buy Rolling with The Stones and his upcoming book would probably be good, as well. I have to laugh, I just saw the Jimi Hendrix documentary on PBS (just posted my impression of it on that thread) where it showed a quick segment of him and the Stones backstage. They only showed MT from the neck down; just saw his blue shirt and white trousers...not so for Jagger and Richards. I guess there are those who just don't think he was/is that important. Shame on them!angry smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:32

Having worked in publishing sectors/books I always collected them.
With books about the Stones - like Beatles and Elvis - it just never stops. Always new ones coming.

Bill's Stone Alone was a bit dry and book-keeping. But I'd still have loved to read his recollections of the wild 70's.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:32

he also published a book of photographs of his neighbor the painter Marc Chagall..

I don't have it though..

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:37

LieB
Both are definitely worth reading, being packed with hard facts (although they do contain errors, despite Wyman's famous penchant for journals and accuracy). His first book, Stone Alone, was criticised for being dry, whereas Rolling With The Stone feels more trivial with its abundance of pictures, fact boxes and memorabilia.

The latter has a fair amount of info on Mick Taylor scattered throughout the pages that are relevant, but certainly not a huge amount. It's dominated by the 60s, probably because the Stones worked most intensely during that period. I also get the feeling that Wyman is more fond of the 60s than the 70s, perhaps because he was absent during some of the most legendary drug-fuelled moments. If you're looking for tons of rock 'n' roll debauchery, his books are not for you.

Stone Alone has almost nothing about Taylor, since it only covers the time up until Hyde Park '69, but instead a fair amount of stories relating to Brian Jones. I believe Bill had the outspoken goal to give Brian what he felt was some well-deserved redemption visavi the "unholy trinity" Jagger-Richards-Oldham.

Myself, I'm looking forward to Bill's next book, if it is in fact true that he's working on a true followup to Stone Alone that should pick up at mid-1969 and cover the rest, dryly written or not.

Every Rock bio/autobio is always full of inaccuracies, and I read a lot of them, but Bill's book has less mistakes then most I ahve read.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:39

I'm a fan of Bill's books.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:42

I liked Rolling With The Stones because it discussed Bill's life during World War II. And Stone Alone was the first account of what it was like to be in the Stones.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 12, 2013 20:10

Stone Alone was good and I rather have too much info than not enough.

[billwyman.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 12, 2013 20:34

His signature metal detector instruction book is a fabulous read. Quite thorough but perhaps a bit dry.

Sort of like his other books.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 12, 2013 22:14

In hindsight I like Bills books. But whenever I open them I always remember why I don´t read them as often. "Rolling with the Stones" is kind of nice bedtime reading though.

An absolute warning should though be given to his recent scrapbook. Even though its beautifully binded and all....OMG...if you found the image quality of "Rolling with the Stones" crap Liddas, you should NOT visit this one. Every piece of text and image is overblown to the point most pixels are very apparent. Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 23:21 by RobberBride.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 12, 2013 22:43

Is it really true that he is writing a follower to STONE ALONE (covering the post-Jones years)? I know there is a book coming out, but can't remember seeing it specified such. (Or is that that scrapbook?)

At the time STONE ALONE was released I recall him saying that he would continue the story, but I thought he gave up the idea. ROLLING WITH THE STONES was something else. From the base of that book, and of his interviews along the years, he doesn't be so fond of the druggie 70's, even though he surely would have lots of stories to share, for sure. And like mentioned here, he wasn't so involved in the inner circle of the band any longer, not contributing to the creative processes, and seemingly not too impressed of their music either. There probably aren't such big stories any longer to prevail, such as the 'agenda' of STONE ALONE to emphasize the importance of Brian Jones, and tell the story behind the Glimmer Twins taking the leadership in the band by the help of Andrew Oldham.

Anyway, it would be interesting to have another account of those druggie years than that of Keith's, what it really felt like being in the band and try to work with junkies, but I also understand why Bill might no be so keen on that, if it turns to have a too negative tone, or if it brings to him too many negative flashbacks. For example, what happened in Jamaica while making GOATS HEAD SOUP was surely not a thing to write about.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 22:46 by Doxa.

Date: November 12, 2013 22:49

"Tuesday there was €135.243 on my bank account"... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 12, 2013 23:05

DandelionPowderman
"Tuesday there was €135.243 on my bank account"... eye rolling smiley

I guess the point in sharing that sort of info - there was so much of that - was also like killing the myth that they were doing financially so fine as they they might looked like. Sort of newsworthy thing I suppose (but boring in the long run).

But then one could ask what was the point telling all those numerous encounters with fan girls...eye rolling smiley Keith's witty reply in LIFE to that was one of the funniest parts in that book..

- Doxa

Date: November 12, 2013 23:23

Right on! No doubt about Keith having fine-read Bill's book grinning smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:09

He needs to come out with a coffee table book that turns into a coffee table.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:12

ryanpow
He needs to come out with a coffee table book that turns into a coffee table.

Kramer beat him to that like 20 years ago...he needs to get some new material.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:14

How bout a book with a page at the end you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 02:15 by ryanpow.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:22

he is really an amazing person ...
an innovator musically and grasped technology particularly computers very early. Innovative musically, I guess you could just say he's unique. Plus he understood bass sound and musicality and made his sensibility work for the Stones. And he had all the equipment ready for them.
Then I remember reading I think in Stanley Booth's book where he imagined a tuner like is common now, but that was in 1969 when he was talking about it ...

Date: November 13, 2013 09:38

What about a book that turns into a metal detector?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:06

...yeah get Rolling With The Stones ... it's a good one ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:07

duke richardson
an innovator musically and grasped technology particularly computers very early. Innovative musically, I guess you could just say he's unique. Plus he understood bass sound and musicality and made his sensibility work for the Stones. And he had all the equipment ready for them.
Then I remember reading I think in Stanley Booth's book where he imagined a tuner like is common now, but that was in 1969 when he was talking about it ...

Don't forget that he was also the first bass player to play fretless, which was also self-made (he removed the frets from his standard English solid-body bass [Dallas Tuxedo] because they were rattling). He really knew his instrument.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:30

CousinC
Having worked in publishing sectors/books I always collected them.
With books about the Stones - like Beatles and Elvis - it just never stops. Always new ones coming.

Bill's Stone Alone was a bit dry and book-keeping. But I'd still have loved to read his recollections of the wild 70's.

If he can remember....winking smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 20, 2013 11:04

LieB

Glad Bill gives Brian some redemption. hot smiley

Posted by: ukheart ()
Date: November 22, 2013 02:16

duke richardson

I second that Bill is a amazing person.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 22, 2013 02:50

Stone Alone, while dry, is really essential reading for the Stones fan.

I feel that way for several reasons, chief among them, as mentioned previously here, Bill provides a balanced, or at least sympathetic, perspective on Brian we don't get from many other sources, and all those dates and details really bring to light just how hard the Stones worked - for YEARS. Reading it, in certain spots, I start to get (just a little bit) bored and then it just hits me and I think, when do these guys get a DAY OFF.... and they don't, or just barely, for really long stretches.
is
But there is other stuff... tons of it. Like how on earth Keith Richards, (in 1977 was it?) simply left alone in his room with no minders about at all, such that Bill has to go get the heroin for Keith himself.

You find out Jagger is crying when sentenced to prison. You learn, when Bill goes seeking some modest help from the "Stones office" for a solo project, that its really the Mick and Keith office. They are too busy arranging a baby sitter for Keith & Anita, or dinner reservations for Jagger or whatever. You find out when Bill objects or asks questions about Alan Klein, Keith admonishes him to stop being "greedy". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out No doubt that is followed up with another update of there only being three hundred dollars in his bank account next time he checks. All good stuff!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2013 04:25

...It's Bill's lil' black one that we'd all lurv ta flip thru ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 22, 2013 09:22

I don't think it's that lil'. winking smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 22, 2013 17:07

SweetThing
Stone Alone, while dry, is really essential reading for the Stones fan.

I feel that way for several reasons, chief among them, as mentioned previously here, Bill provides a balanced, or at least sympathetic, perspective on Brian we don't get from many other sources, and all those dates and details really bring to light just how hard the Stones worked - for YEARS. Reading it, in certain spots, I start to get (just a little bit) bored and then it just hits me and I think, when do these guys get a DAY OFF.... and they don't, or just barely, for really long stretches.
is
But there is other stuff... tons of it. Like how on earth Keith Richards, (in 1977 was it?) simply left alone in his room with no minders about at all, such that Bill has to go get the heroin for Keith himself.

You find out Jagger is crying when sentenced to prison. You learn, when Bill goes seeking some modest help from the "Stones office" for a solo project, that its really the Mick and Keith office. They are too busy arranging a baby sitter for Keith & Anita, or dinner reservations for Jagger or whatever. You find out when Bill objects or asks questions about Alan Klein, Keith admonishes him to stop being "greedy". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out No doubt that is followed up with another update of there only being three hundred dollars in his bank account next time he checks. All good stuff!!

Exactly! There's the truth and there's the fiction, Bill speaks the truth...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home