Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Jagger + Water
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 10, 2013 09:07

The comedian Gallagher did it with watermelons! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 10, 2013 13:20

owlbynite
Got my first horse as a child & hoisted hundreds of thousands of buckets of water (with ice in winter) & uphill thru snow & ice over the years.. usually one in each hand (two at a time) before & after school.....so, to me, this is nothing a young child couldn't (and I did not) do...Jagger is a grown man in these photos...
sorry, unimpressed....sad smiley

Yeah, but you saw the Stones on the 1792 tour, right? Did Mick throw water then?

Re: Jagger + Waters
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2013 14:31

- The Quiet Knight, July 9th 1978 by Mitchell Canoff

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:22

stonehearted
bye bye johnny
stonehearted
Could imagine the water bucket being trotted out during a club or theater show?

Yes, well, by 1978 the circus was coming to town.

And it wouldn't be much longer before the bright lemon yellow tights would be making their oft-lamented appearance. Oh yeah, and the balloons as well.

the second photo is from kansas city 1981 when taylor came out as a guest as part of the deal with making peace with the glimmers over some royalties issues.that was one heck of a show !i think the date was 12/14/81

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:24

at first when i saw the title of the thread ,i was like mick jagger collaberated with roger waters .imagine a little pig on the wing meets jumping jack flash himself .that could be fun !

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:23

treaclefingers
I thought this was going to be a thread about Mick Jagger and Roger Waters doing a duets album for Christmas.

Me too !!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:31

all i could find for you -

"Pink Floyd's Roger Waters has paid tribute to Mark Fisher who designed the iconic "The Wall" stage set in 1980. Fisher passed away on Friday after a long battle with cancer at the age of 66. "Mark was a great man and a great friend," Waters told TeamRock Radio (via Classic Rock). "I remember Mick Jagger coming to see The Wall. He came straight backstage afterwards and said: 'Who did that? I want it.'"

Posted by: SquealingTea ()
Date: November 10, 2013 19:58

The story of Mick, his bucket and me...

I was at Candlestick Park in SF in 1981. Right up front with my body against the barrier wall (no one in front of me), taking pics with my 35mm camera w/ 70-210mm lens. Big camera, easy to see, and, from what I could tell, I was the only one in my area with such a camera. Along comes Mick with his bucket of water. I’m looking thru the lens and see he’s getting closer – he appears to be looking right in my direction. The crowd is getting extra excited and I’m getting knocked around a bit, so I lower the camera to below chin level and hold it out in front of me, arms extended over the barrier wall, to avoid inadvertently hitting myself in the face with it during the commotion. Mick is now about 20 feet away, LOOKING ME STRAIGHT IN THE EYES, and proceeding in my direction. He comes as far out to the edge of the stage as possible, and he’s STILL looking right at me (teenaged girl who actually looked about 12). I’m thrilled to be having this fabulous, extended eye contact w/ Mick! Having obviously seen me with my huge, prized, non-waterproof camera, I had no doubt he’d do a little pivot turn and aim his H20 bomb elsewhere. But NOOOOOO, he was gunning for me!! And there is simply NO WAY that he could have failed to see my camera… he saw me, and my big black camera was just below chin level, outstretched, and there was no one else was in front of me. Perhaps he was gunning for me because of the camera? (BTW, cameras were allowed at this show, so I’d done nothing wrong). It all happened so fast. For a split second, while still engaged in the oh-so-fabulous mutual eye contact, I saw a “Ha! I’m gonna do it!” sort of look on his face and it suddenly registered, to my horror, that he really WAS gonna do it (right in my direction!) and that my beloved camera was in imminent danger of drowning. I scrambled to wedge the camera between my chest and the barrier wall and hunch my body over it in an attempt to protect it from the impending dousing (which, mercifully, worked – though my face & hair got wet). “What an assholio!”, I thought. Perhaps he got a little kick out of seeing the look of horror on the young girl’s face? Micks moment of ungentlemanliness didn’t deter me from continuing my Stoneslove, though. By contrast, Keith was the consummate gentleman. When he spotted me w/ my camera, he strode right on over with purpose, positioned himself directly in front of me at the very edge of the stage, and served up some tasty Keef Face for my lens! He lingered for a while. I took 4 shots and spent a fair amount of time between them fumbling and focusing/re-focusing because I was overwhelmed, shaky, freaking out and hyperventilating (I was at the height of my teenaged Keith lurve then). He went the extra mile so the kid in the audience could get her shot.

In conclusion: Mick=Toad, Keith=Prince…
Kidding!! I still appreciate Mick, big-time, but he does hurl buckets of water with malicious intentangry smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:10

Great story Squealing Tea, I am impressed with your poise at such a young age.

Mick was obviously in the fun, don't give a sh-t zone, probably very high on adrenaline, if nothing else. It's good you can take it in stride all these years later. As for Keith, he's certainly had his a-shole moments as well, but in this case, I'd say he was a Prince among Stones. grinning smiley

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: November 10, 2013 20:45

TheGreek
the second photo is from kansas city 1981 when taylor came out as a guest as part of the deal with making peace with the glimmers over some royalties issues.that was one heck of a show !i think the date was 12/14/81

That was only the beginning of the royalty conflict.
And his appearance was in no way part of a deal. It resulted from a telephone call between Taylor and Keith, after they found out they were passing through the same city that day.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 10, 2013 22:01

LieB
In '72, wasn't he tossing roses and no water? Maybe both.

Anyway, I love that story about the road crew putting a pig liver in the bottom of the rose bucket at one gig on that tour.

They were actually tossing roses on the '69 tour. Note the sequence at the end of the Altamont show, post-stabbing, post-scuffles, etc., where everything is ending on an upbeat, happy note and the Angels were grabbing piles of flowers from the front of the stage and hurling them into the audience, with a shrug and good-natured grin. This was during Street Fighting Man (at 1:26:25).

Date: November 11, 2013 01:53

stonehearted
They were actually tossing roses on the '69 tour. Note the sequence at the end of the Altamont show, post-stabbing, post-scuffles, etc., where everything is ending on an upbeat, happy note and the Angels were grabbing piles of flowers from the front of the stage and hurling them into the audience, with a shrug and good-natured grin. This was during Street Fighting Man (at 1:26:25).

They had the roses on the '72 tour as well, plus water. Evident in these clips:

New York '72:

From CS Blues:

Date: November 11, 2013 08:16

LieB
owlbynite
Got my first horse as a child & hoisted hundreds of thousands of buckets of water (with ice in winter) & uphill thru snow & ice over the years.. usually one in each hand (two at a time) before & after school.....so, to me, this is nothing a young child couldn't (and I did not) do...Jagger is a grown man in these photos...

Yeah, but you saw the Stones on the 1792 tour, right? Did Mick throw water then?
1792??? confused smiley missed it!
the water stunt is still nothing a bunch of young elementary school girl equine-owners didn't do with utility livestock buckets, much heavier.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 12, 2013 15:20

SquealingTea

I was at Candlestick Park in SF in 1981. Right up front with my body against the barrier wall (no one in front of me), taking pics with my 35mm camera w/ 70-210mm lens. Big camera, easy to see, and, from what I could tell, I was the only one in my area with such a camera. Along comes Mick with his bucket of water. I’m looking thru the lens and see he’s getting closer – he appears to be looking right in my direction. The crowd is getting extra excited and I’m getting knocked around a bit, so I lower the camera to below chin level and hold it out in front of me, arms extended over the barrier wall, to avoid inadvertently hitting myself in the face with it during the commotion. Mick is now about 20 feet away, LOOKING ME STRAIGHT IN THE EYES, and proceeding in my direction. He comes as far out to the edge of the stage as possible, and he’s STILL looking right at me (teenaged girl who actually looked about 12). I’m thrilled to be having this fabulous, extended eye contact w/ Mick! Having obviously seen me with my huge, prized, non-waterproof camera, I had no doubt he’d do a little pivot turn and aim his H20 bomb elsewhere. But NOOOOOO, he was gunning for me!! And there is simply NO WAY that he could have failed to see my camera… he saw me, and my big black camera was just below chin level, outstretched, and there was no one else was in front of me. Perhaps he was gunning for me because of the camera? (BTW, cameras were allowed at this show, so I’d done nothing wrong). It all happened so fast. For a split second, while still engaged in the oh-so-fabulous mutual eye contact, I saw a “Ha! I’m gonna do it!” sort of look on his face and it suddenly registered, to my horror, that he really WAS gonna do it (right in my direction!) and that my beloved camera was in imminent danger of drowning. I scrambled to wedge the camera between my chest and the barrier wall and hunch my body over it in an attempt to protect it from the impending dousing (which, mercifully, worked – though my face & hair got wet). “What an assholio!”, I thought. Perhaps he got a little kick out of seeing the look of horror on the young girl’s face? Micks moment of ungentlemanliness didn’t deter me from continuing my Stoneslove, though. By contrast, Keith was the consummate gentleman. When he spotted me w/ my camera, he strode right on over with purpose, positioned himself directly in front of me at the very edge of the stage, and served up some tasty Keef Face for my lens! He lingered for a while. I took 4 shots and spent a fair amount of time between them fumbling and focusing/re-focusing because I was overwhelmed, shaky, freaking out and hyperventilating (I was at the height of my teenaged Keith lurve then). He went the extra mile so the kid in the audience could get her shot.

In conclusion: Mick=Toad, Keith=Prince…
Kidding!! I still appreciate Mick, big-time, but he does hurl buckets of water with malicious intentangry smiley

This is a wonderful story. I'd like to think Mick didn't even think about the fact he might be destroying your camera--maybe he thought you'd get a great shot out of the incident or something. (Do you still have those Keith pics, btw? winking smiley )

Date: November 12, 2013 18:21

owlbynite
LieB
owlbynite

the water stunt is still nothing a bunch of young elementary school girl equine-owners didn't do with utility livestock buckets, much heavier.

I figured, since you travelled through the ice and snow by horse, you may have been present on the legendary 1792 tour, immortalized in a thread on this forum a few years ago. grinning smiley

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:35

Early in the show on the first night at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1989 some jackass in the second or third row threw what appeared to be a full beer at Mick and doused him pretty good. Never losing his composure (or the beat) we saw Mick summon a stagehand and whisper something to him. A few moments later the stagehand appeared with a full bucket of water which he dutifully handed off to Mick who then proceeded to empty the entire contents on and near the aforementioned jackass.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 12, 2013 19:38

The fire hoses came out in Orlando 1981 - surely before then too as the picture on the back of the 81 tour program has Mick with a hose in full 1978 tour costume (high-water pants and duct tape).

Date: November 13, 2013 09:01

LieB
owlbynite
LieB
owlbynite

I figured, since you travelled through the ice and snow by horse, you may have been present on the legendary 1792 tour, immortalized in a thread on this forum a few years ago. grinning smiley

Missed out! grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:26

SquealingTea

The way you described Mick right there--with the slinking but wide-eyed, almost predatory intent of movement--reminds he of the term one of my high school English teachers used at exactly that time to describe Jagger. She was a good 20 to 25 years older than Mick. Because I had done and presented a paper one day on Altamont, she said that day as I was filing out toward the door at the end of class: "Mick Jagger reminds me of a rattlesnake. You never know what he might do next. He seems alright one minute, then the next he looks like he might pounce right on you."

when was Jagger's first and last water bucket toss . . .?
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 28, 2013 19:56

When was the first? Europe 1973? I remember the rose pedals in 69-72, did he toss water in 72? . . .

When did Jagger toss his last bucket of water? Was it Hampton 1981? Did he do it in Europe in 1982? Europe 1995??

6:50 here , , ,

Re: when was Jagger's first and last water bucket toss . . .?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 28, 2013 22:07

There are pix of Jagger doing this in 76 so I'd say 75...
In 72 the bucket had confettis and... pig parts!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:14

1973 or 1975 for first water toss. it ended in 1982

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:18

Flowers in 1967, his shoes in 1968...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:19

The bastard drenched me at Slane in 1982. With a hose.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:48

Gazza

And you creamed your jeans....

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:50

I got the bucket in Buffalo...aug 8, '75

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 29, 2013 04:18

flashhh
Gazza

And you creamed your jeans....

It was a badge of honour for some time afterwards.

"he hit me RIGHT between the eyes - honest!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 04:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 29, 2013 09:31

We got the water treatment at Wembley in '03.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 10:36 by shattered.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 29, 2013 14:19

Taking a shower at work to save time at home.
I do it too sometimes.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 29, 2013 15:02

Some of the Jagger + Water pics I found in my books:
European Tour 1973, to the audience.
European Tour 1976, to the audience/ shower.
Canada 1979, to the audience.
US Tour 1981, shower.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home