Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Has Mick J ever played a guitar solo? (Recorded)
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 7, 2013 18:28

DandelionPowderman
He also plays the acoustic slide guitar on This Place Is Empty.

Really? Are you sure?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2013 18:31

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
FortuneTeller800
I always had the feeling that it is him doing the solo in "Streets of Love".

It is him.

I am ready to bet a beer that the solo on SOL is Ronnie.

C

I'm on grinning smiley

When we listen to the live versions, where Ronnie plays it (together with Mick) - just as with Doom And Gloom (they used the same approach here), it sound totally different to the static and a bit clumsily take(s) on the album.

If you listen to Mick's "solo" on God Gave Me Everything from Goddess, you'll hear the similarity. It's Mick's right hand-technique that reveals him.

Just my two cents on this smiling smiley

No way whatsoever that its Mick playing the solo on God Gave, that's 100% Kravitz (with Ross on acoustic, what a waste)!

And I confess that I can't remember Mick playing lead on SOL live. Ron Wood I'm sure: I was 10m from him in Dubendorf when he literally took SOL to another level!

If anything the solo on the studio version of SOL sounds slightly Dontstoppish ...

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-07 19:53 by liddas.

Date: November 7, 2013 18:43

It's perfectly possible that what I heard backing up Ronnie live was played by the keyboard.

On the album, however, I can't hear Ronnie at all even though he is credited.

On Doom And Gloom there should be no doubt, imo.

Date: November 7, 2013 18:44

Kirk
DandelionPowderman

Really? Are you sure?

Yep. He is specifically credited in the liner notes.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2013 18:49

latebloomer
Don't know so much abour solo's, but you gotta give him credit for looking good with a guitar. smiling smiley

Eh. Are those the same guitars? It looks like it. That's hilarious if they are. What is that, 1973 to 2005?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 7, 2013 20:01

DandelionPowderman
It's perfectly possible that what I heard backing up Ronnie live was played by the keyboard.

Whoever came up with the "solo" on the album did a great job: simple twist of the melody line, but very effective. IMHO Ronnie 100%

Live, I don't hear two instruments playing the solo theme. I hear Ronnie playing octaves, is that the part you were referring to?

C

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 7, 2013 21:46

DandelionPowderman
Kirk
DandelionPowderman

Really? Are you sure?

Yep. He is specifically credited in the liner notes.
Thanks, I haven't noticed that!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 8, 2013 11:34

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Whoever came up with the "solo" on the album did a great job: simple twist of the melody line, but very effective. IMHO Ronnie 100%

Live, I don't hear two instruments playing the solo theme. I hear Ronnie playing octaves, is that the part you were referring to?

C

Yeah and unlike on D&G he goes to the back when the solo arrives and when he comes back you can see him playing rythm...and yeah it's Kravitz on GGME, actually it's his music with Mick's lyrics.

I wonder if Dandy's UserID hasn't been hijacked by Matthijs for this thread ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 8, 2013 11:45

gotdablouse
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

Yeah and unlike on D&G he goes to the back when the solo arrives and when he comes back you can see him playing rythm...and yeah it's Kravitz on GGME, actually it's his music with Mick's lyrics.

I wonder if Dandy's UserID hasn't been hijacked by Matthijs for this thread ;-)

He he smiling smiley

My point was that the God Gave Me, SOL and Doom And Gloom solos are very similar and have the same kind of effect on those tracks. They are also very, very simple. Mick's increasingly dominating guitar playing on Stones records lead me to believe that he had a hand in crafting those solos/themes. On Doom And Gloom, for instance, it sounds like he pretty much had everything down (except for Ronnie's and Keith's overdubbed tracks).

The solos don't sound like anything Ronnie Wood would do. And when he does it live, it still sounds differently.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 8, 2013 11:48

Yeah no doubt about D&G, it would be interesting to hear the Jagger/Clifford demo...probably very similar to the released version!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home