Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Still Life
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:41

"Live albums are funny things. I mean, it's not the sort of thing I rush home to play but this one sounds pretty good. It's... CONCISE. You know, it's like a telescopic version of the show."
-Mick 1982

"All this live stuff I want to come out as soon as it's ready, you know. Otherwise it becomes history. I would've liked the live album to come out in January but it's impossible, you know - I was dead on me feet. It sounds pretty good to me and I don't generally like live albums. I've stuck with this one so - it's good stuff."
-Keith 1982

Quotes from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:52

Still Life & GYYYO have flow & continuity. Love You Live , Match Point etc.., good albums in their own respect, do not share the same attributes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 10, 2013 02:09

DandelionPowderman
Hampton is the real live album from that tour.

And there's nothing wrong with Satisfaction, Let Me Go or Shattered on Still Life, imo. The two latter songs are my favourite versions.

"Let Me Go" and "Shattered"... What? I thought you Dandie were not keen on speeded/coked up versions? Isn't that, what did you say... a bit cheap way to sound energetic? Or does the latter only apply to Taylor days... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2013 02:18

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

And there's nothing wrong with Satisfaction, Let Me Go or Shattered on Still Life, imo. The two latter songs are my favourite versions.

"Let Me Go" and "Shattered"... What? I thought you Dandie were not keen on speeded/coked up versions? Isn't that, what did you say... a bit cheap way to sound energetic? Or does the latter only apply to Taylor days... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Still Life is in breach of the descriptions act. It should be Coke Life.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:29

i miss the coked up days .

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 10, 2013 15:52

Prefer SL to SweetSS.

better sound, some excitement to the show.
Jeroen

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 10, 2013 17:41

Still life is lifeless. Got also bad reviews from the critics. And rightly so.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:03

kleermaker

sweet summer sun will get the same. boring.
Jeroen

Date: November 10, 2013 18:08

corriecas
kleermaker

sweet summer sun will get the same. boring.
Jeroen

Agreed. A lost opportunity in the light of HP 1969 history.

Date: November 10, 2013 18:12

kleermaker

Probably the last one to get bad reviews. Every damn album ever since has been hailed "the best since EXILE - or at least SOME GIRLS"... I don't know what the hec happened to good critical rock journalism as far as the Stones are concerned; the mission seems to be like defending the group for still somehow representing the musical values from the times when rock and roll still meant something, no matter what the actual output has been like. That's at least been the impression I have got during all these years when reading those reviews. Or probably the records just were so damn good...

- Doxa

Date: November 10, 2013 18:14

Doxa
kleermaker

Probably the last one to get bad reviews. Every damn album ever since has been hailed "the best since EXILE - or at least SOME GIRLS"... I don't know what the hec happened to good critical rock journalism as far as the Stones are concerned; the mission seems to be like defending the group for still somehow representing the musical values from the times when rock and roll still meant something, no matter what the actual output has been like. That's at least been the impression I have got during all these years when reading those reviews. Or probably the records just were so damn good...

- Doxa

Well, I didn't make it up:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:20

Elmo Lewis
Lots of chatter lately about Tattoo You and Undercover. But there was another Stones album in between - The 1981 tour document Still Life. It's rarely discussed here and seems to rate somewhere between the sublime Ya Yas and the abysmal Love You Live (El Mocambo side excepted). One fan's thoughts:

The album gets off to a great start, then the Stones come on: Just kidding Sir Duke's "Take The A Train" provides a cool intro for the band.

This version of "Under My Thumb" is smoking with nice, loud guitars. After the somewhat confusing-at-the-time comments (this was the dawn of PPV remember), we get a guitar driven version of LSTNT. I actually prefer this to the studio version. Then, the wheels come off. "Shattered" has never sounded worth a crap live - this is Exhibit A. The 2 covers are fairly interesting and decent. Nothing bad, nothing too great either.

Side 2 begins with "Let Me Go", an average song that sounds average on here. I love "Time Is On My Side" here, a little different from the studio version, but cool nonetheless. Ditto "Just My Imagination". Sure, it's edited all to hell, but still sounds good. "Start Me Up" was the current hit and the crowd reacts to it nicely. However, the home listener thinks it sounds thin - nothing like the full-bore version that opens Flashpoint. The Stones finish with an awful sounding version of "Satisfaction" (never sound good live, Exhibit B, someone buy Keith a cheap fuzzbox please). Hendrix's SSB closes out this document (now there's a guest star!).

Some highs, some lows. To many this was the last hurrah of the "real" Stones (although 1982's European tour was ongoing at the time). Your thoughts?

Well said.

Date: November 10, 2013 18:23

Yep (to Kleermaker's last post). This is what (also cited in Wikipedia) Bill Wyman says of it in ROLLING WITH THE STONES:

"As a live album it pales against GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! and doesn't come close to LOVE YOU LIVE. It is best remembered as the 27th US and 23rd UK release, and not a lot else".

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 18:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:32

Still Life and it's film cousin, LSTNT, are enjoyable, with a few high points, but they haven't aged well. Meanwhile the Hampton download and the boot DVD have emerged as the true testament of the '81 tour.

Date: November 10, 2013 18:38

24FPS
Still Life and it's film cousin, LSTNT, are enjoyable, with a few high points, but they haven't aged well. Meanwhile the Hampton download and the boot DVD have emerged as the true testament of the '81 tour.

thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: November 10, 2013 18:44

Doxa
Yep (to Kleermaker's last post). This is what (also cited in Wikipedia) Bill Wyman says of it in ROLLING WITH THE STONES:

"As a live album it pales against GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! and doesn't come close to LOVE YOU LIVE. It is best remembered as the 27th US and 23rd UK release, and not a lot else".

- Doxa

Love You Live wasn't well received either. In fact even worse than SL:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 10, 2013 18:46

I've always though the album was ok, even before I was into bootlegs. Not great, not bad, just good. I did feel that ten songs was a bit short.

Where I have issue with your post, btw, is your characterization of Ya-Yas and LYL. Ya-yas is good but awfully overdubbed. Shows off the band at the time, and yeah, it's one of the better ones.

Love You Live though, is to me absolutely fantastic, by far my favorite Stones live album. I love the sloppiness, the volume, everything about it. That's how I think of the Stones: loud, boozy, and with lots of Ronnie at his best.

Different tastes!

Date: November 10, 2013 18:48

kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

[en.wikipedia.org]

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! had set the standard a bit too high...

- Doxa

Date: November 10, 2013 18:52

kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

[en.wikipedia.org]

The link you provided said the album was well received grinning smiley

Date: November 10, 2013 18:53

Doxa
kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

[en.wikipedia.org]

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! had set the standard a bit too high...

- Doxa

Not to think of an official live album from the 1972 and/or 1973 tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 18:53 by kleermaker.

Date: November 10, 2013 18:55

Ya yas blows both 72 (L&G) and 73 (BA) out of the water!

Date: November 10, 2013 18:56

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

[en.wikipedia.org]

If you think that twice only two stars means well received ....

Date: November 10, 2013 19:09

DandelionPowderman

I disagree, but have to say that both L&G and the official Brussels are absolutely NOT among the best of those tours, while YaYa's' songs are. Had they released the bootleg Brussels then it would have surpassed even YaYa's. The same goes for the Philly and NYC 1972 concerts. Besides, both L&G and the official Brussels have an inferior sound quality, certainly compared to YaYa's.

Date: November 10, 2013 22:44

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

[en.wikipedia.org]

Two random reviews, while the article focused on how the album was received in general grinning smiley

If you think that twice only two stars means well received ....

Date: November 10, 2013 22:45

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I disagree, but have to say that both L&G and the official Brussels are absolutely NOT among the best of those tours, while YaYa's' songs are. Had they released the bootleg Brussels then it would have surpassed even YaYa's. The same goes for the Philly and NYC 1972 concerts. Besides, both L&G and the official Brussels have an inferior sound quality, certainly compared to YaYa's.

It doesn't sound like you disagree grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 11, 2013 00:55

However Ya Yas was produced, it stands alone as the quintessential live Stones album. There's just something about, it, the power, the roughness. When they turn that corner to Street Fighting Man everything is regal and through the roof. It has to be among the top 5 live rock albums of all time, including Band of Gypsys, David Live, The Who Live at Leeds, and Woodstock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 03:28 by 24FPS.

Date: November 11, 2013 01:03

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

It doesn't sound like you disagree grinning smiley

If I had to choose between YaYa's and the official Brussels it would be hard, but I prefer the bootleg Brussels to YaYa's. Also L&G is above YaYa's on my list, but with a nose's length.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:12

I've never liked this album. I thought Clearmountain did a good mix on it, clear and well defined guitars. #1-But it seems too short. #2-Let Me Go, is a terrible arrangement compared to the cool vibe the studio has. #3-too many covers on it. First 5 songs rock really good though.

Date: November 11, 2013 10:29

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

You know I like "Live In Texas", right? That should answer your assumption pretty well smiling smiley

AND: The way Shattered and Let Me Go are played has nothing to do with the wanking fest JJF from L&G. At least Keith and Ronnie take their solo spots, instead of destroying Mick's singing - just a minor detail you forgot winking smiley

AND: Those two studio versions are a bit too slow for my liking grinning smiley

Date: November 11, 2013 11:55

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

You know I like "Live In Texas", right? That should answer your assumption pretty well smiling smiley

AND: The way Shattered and Let Me Go are played has nothing to do with the wanking fest JJF from L&G. At least Keith and Ronnie take their solo spots, instead of destroying Mick's singing - just a minor detail you forgot winking smiley

AND: Those two studio versions are a bit too slow for my liking grinning smiley

Okay, okay.... your explanation is accepted. Just about.grinning smiley

I like the slow, groovie tempos of the originals (even though I admit "Shattered" sounds almost like will fall apart any second just for the engine rolling way too slow and under-speed... "Let Me Go" has been always for me like a shining example of the unique Stones groove in its best decadent Pathe Marconi form), but I like STILL LIFE versions due to the fact that they still are "road versions". They use some sort of artistic imagination in their delivery, if nothing else but speeeding them up. Perhaps with "Let Me Go" a bit too much, since they sound way too busy to quite keep it in their hands, and sound oddly not in touch with it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 11:57 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home