Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Still Life
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 7, 2013 13:43

i like it , my only bitch is that it is cut and not a full setlist . having said that ,this is the last blast from the pre vegas era stones .when it was the stones blasting down the tracks with all that cocaine fueled energy (yeah i know not p.c.)but it was the last gasp of the seventies era when they were exciting and not preprogrammed with chucks keyboards controling everything .keef was very much leading the way with charlie keeping time on the skins and ronnie playing his arse off.what else can i say about mick's vocals .singing with such gusto and bravado and lest i forget about bill wyman big ass bass keeping the bottom rocking .dont get me wrong i ate up the 50th anniversary shows with the best of them ,but back in 81 this was the last time the stones had stu tickling the ivories along with the mac man playing some killer b3. god i miss this version of the stones .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-07 18:01 by TheGreek.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 7, 2013 14:27

After the release of Hampton and Leeds it is only an overmodest testimonial of what took place on stage then.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 7, 2013 14:45

DandelionPowderman
Spud
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
The mixing of the album frustrates me.
Sounds like crap.
Hampton boot is much bettter..

Never heard that before. Do you mean that the instruments are badly mixed/leveled? The sound in general? Too much effects/too less effects?

I think Hampton sounds very much like Still Life. The main difference is the digital mastering on Hampton.

Ill have to re-visit my lp..but way back when I listened to it it sounded very "tinny" with no meat..if u know what I mean.
Or maybe I just prefer full concerts rather than a cut and paste job...
Would play Hampton before still life anyday

SL actually sounds very good on a decent system. The prouction is not "in yer face" but has some nice natural dynamics and a real sense of space.

The dynamics, as well as the fatness within the production, is captured better here than on the Hampton release, imo.

When hearing the SB-recordings of Hampton, I get some of the Still Life-feel, except for the annoying loud audience sound in places smiling smiley

Ha..then maybe my stereo is shit.
Still doesnt change my opinion of the average patch up job that SL provides..
Basically a token release.

Date: November 7, 2013 14:50

Except for the heavy editing in Imagination and the "mystery third guitar" in the bridge on LSTNT I don't hear much patching.

The only beef I have with it is that there are too few songs on it. And, ok, SMU is a little lame-sounding.

However, to this day I haven't heard better versions of UMT, LSTNT, Shattered, Time Is On My Side and Let Me Go. That's half of the album...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 7, 2013 14:52

DandelionPowderman
However, to this day I haven't heard better versions of UMT, LSTNT, Shattered, Time Is On My Side and Let Me Go. That's half of the album...

thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 7, 2013 15:03

DandelionPowderman
Except for the heavy editing in Imagination and the "mystery third guitar" in the bridge on LSTNT I don't hear much patching.

The only beef I have with it is that there are too few songs on it. And, ok, SMU is a little lame-sounding.

I guess you haven't heard UMT from 1969 then..

Date: November 7, 2013 15:30

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

I guess you haven't heard UMT from 1969 then..

Of course I have, and I like it very much thumbs up

However, this particular version is absolutely fantastic, imo. Keith and Ronnie's playing, the drive and Mick's singing. Perfection!

When listening to the bootleg version, it was really, really well-played - and yes - the solo was played live smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2013 15:40

Shattered on the VOODOO tour was the best live performance of that song.

Date: November 7, 2013 15:43

GasLightStreet

Too slow, and I don't like Bernard and Lisa doing the BU-vocals. Ronnie's solo was poorer as well.

Apart from that the VL was quite good, imo.

PS: And Mick's singing was poorer, too. He hasn't quite got that "rap" rhythm down since 1982, imo...

Date: November 7, 2013 17:32

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Too slow, and I don't like Bernard and Lisa doing the BU-vocals. Ronnie's solo was poorer as well.

PS: And Mick's singing was poorer, too. He hasn't quite got that "rap" rhythm down since 1982, imo...

Hmmm. Well, I know it's different. It's slowed down and funkier. I thought Ronnie played the solo fluidly, Charlie was excellent. And Keith chugs out the phased out lick in a laidback manner. Mick, well, he grunted it out in typical Mick fashion. He was certainly into it more so than the 81-82 performances where he just sped through it (and the BANG performances were awful). My mind may be biased a bit due to liking the version on the Giants Stadium bootleg SPARKS WILL FLY, which I think is excellent.

Date: November 7, 2013 17:47

Aside from Shattered I've always loved STILL LIFE. It has a huge sound to it. Twenty Flight Rock is great. Time On My Side and Imagination are fantastic. It's likely that Time On My Side is the best track on the whole album. Under My Thumb is great.

It's difficult to not like Going To A Go-Go.

It's an intersting album. When it came out I was 11 years old. I had listened to GYYYO for a couple of years and had found LOVE YOU LIVE via some friends (I found it to be a hilarious album). So this live album was so different from those previous ones. It's a very clean sounding live album. The mix is pretty good. The packaging was vibrant and somewhat funny.

It wasn't until the Virgin reissue came out, I think, that I noticed the third guitar in LSTNT.

Perhaps with the live movie they wanted this album to be a bit off and not full of the big hits. Then again, judging from the performances of some of those songs it's good they didn't put them on this, although the ramble scramble of Satisfaction is pretty bad. It is entertaining though. Mick's "singing". Had they included Beast Of Burden on this album it would have easily been the worst track. It's a horrible performance of that song. They strangled it.

Certainly the two live bootleg official releases are a much better deal. Fresh from success yet with STILL LIFE only two songs from SOME GIRLS and one from TATTOO YOU? It's probably amazing that they even considered yet alone actually put Let Me Go on this.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 7, 2013 17:57

i had been into the stones for 2 years by the time i bought still life in 1989.

loved it, was surprised they still had it live and it was great to listen to the band in a different era from which i had heard before. i had heard a lot of negative stuff about the stones music from certain eras and was often under the impression they were no good post 1972.

shattered was great and better than the studio version, start me up, satisfaction and lets spend the night together rocked, as did a couple of cover versions, under my thumb and time is on my side were good aswell considering they are not really my favourite sort of stones song.

would have been better with an extended set list. songs which would merit inclusion could be.

little t and a
hang fire
black limo
no use in crying
respectable
some girls

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 7, 2013 18:09

The sound mix for this album is excellent. I had a lot of fun listening to Still Life over the years. It's an 81 tour sampler.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 8, 2013 17:51

1981 was my first tour and seemed surreal - seeing the Stones and in daylight! I thought it bored the daylights out of Mick! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:16

Elmo Lewis
1981 was my first tour and seemed surreal - seeing the Stones and in daylight! I thought it bored the daylights out of Mick! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Good observation! I saw them in 1982 and the sun was burning down everything. Stones live should be experienced in the middle of the night (exception to the rule: Hyde Park 69).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2013 18:26

GasLightStreet
Aside from Shattered I've always loved STILL LIFE. It has a huge sound to it. Twenty Flight Rock is great. Time On My Side and Imagination are fantastic. It's likely that Time On My Side is the best track on the whole album. Under My Thumb is great.

It's difficult to not like Going To A Go-Go.

It's an intersting album. When it came out I was 11 years old. I had listened to GYYYO for a couple of years and had found LOVE YOU LIVE via some friends (I found it to be a hilarious album). So this live album was so different from those previous ones. It's a very clean sounding live album. The mix is pretty good. The packaging was vibrant and somewhat funny.

It wasn't until the Virgin reissue came out, I think, that I noticed the third guitar in LSTNT.

Perhaps with the live movie they wanted this album to be a bit off and not full of the big hits. Then again, judging from the performances of some of those songs it's good they didn't put them on this, although the ramble scramble of Satisfaction is pretty bad. It is entertaining though. Mick's "singing". Had they included Beast Of Burden on this album it would have easily been the worst track. It's a horrible performance of that song. They strangled it.

Certainly the two live bootleg official releases are a much better deal. Fresh from success yet with STILL LIFE only two songs from SOME GIRLS and one from TATTOO YOU? It's probably amazing that they even considered yet alone actually put Let Me Go on this.

I've always liked this album...difficult for me to choose whether I prefer Under My Thumb (BEST VERSION EVER!) or Time Is On My Side (BEST VERSION EVER!).

Even if you absolutely HATE the rest of the album, and I agree with you on Satisfaction and Shattered, this is worthy if just for those two cuts...and Going to a Go-Go, and Twenty Flight Rock and Let's Spend the Night Together and Let Me Go and...

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: November 8, 2013 21:14

Still Life is 100 X better than Bigger Bang.Thin sound? it was their peak before Vegas - era , they were real guitar driven band and Jaggers voice was stronger than in 78 tour.I remember this release - i was 13 y.o. and punk movement was very strong.Stones proved that they were cool rock band , not any dinosaur.It should have been double album.

Date: November 8, 2013 21:34

kleermaker
Elmo Lewis

Good observation! I saw them in 1982 and the sun was burning down everything. Stones live should be experienced in the middle of the night (exception to the rule: Hyde Park 69).

And HP 2013!

Date: November 8, 2013 21:36

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Hmmm. Well, I know it's different. It's slowed down and funkier. I thought Ronnie played the solo fluidly, Charlie was excellent. And Keith chugs out the phased out lick in a laidback manner. Mick, well, he grunted it out in typical Mick fashion. He was certainly into it more so than the 81-82 performances where he just sped through it (and the BANG performances were awful). My mind may be biased a bit due to liking the version on the Giants Stadium bootleg SPARKS WILL FLY, which I think is excellent.

We don't disagree that much. I like the 94 versions as well.

Charlie was less robot-like in 94, but Ronnie's SL-solo is sharper, imo.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 8, 2013 22:33

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 22:34 by ryanpow.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 9, 2013 02:09

Love this album.
The title? Still life as in a painting of a bowl of fruit?
Or Still Life (in the old dogs yet)?..

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 9, 2013 04:42

Eleanor Rigby
Sounds like crap.

Definitely -- Still Life was hacked to bits and many parts re-recorded in the studio, if I remember correctly. Hampton is what they really sound like, and a great sound it is!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 9, 2013 16:46

LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby
Sounds like crap.

Definitely -- Still Life was hacked to bits and many parts re-recorded in the studio, if I remember correctly. Hampton is what they really sound like, and a great sound it is!
Yeah that album and film are not a good representation of the tour.... Best part of the movie is where Keith drops his cigarette and Ronnie picks it up and finishes it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:02

The best live versions of Start Me Up are captured in Still Life (Chicago) & Hampton.

Date: November 9, 2013 18:28

vertigojoe
Love this album.

bowl of fruit

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 9, 2013 20:53

treaclefingers
vertigojoe
Love this album.

bowl of fruit

As in those paintings: dead things. That Still Life is, dead things in fact.

Date: November 9, 2013 21:16

kleermaker
treaclefingers
vertigojoe
Love this album.

bowl of fruit

As in those paintings: dead things. That Still Life is, dead things in fact.

Within which are the seeds of new life.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:20

The first Stones live album I ever bought. Loved it then and I still like it. Even the bright cover art. Always liked the Bob Clearmoutain sound mix.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 10, 2013 01:39

Stoneage
The first Stones live album I ever bought. Loved it then and I still like it. Even the bright cover art. Always liked the Bob Clearmoutain sound mix.

Also the greatintro- It's a choice fun album to enjoy (in car) on your way out to any event.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home