Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Favourite Rolling Stones "Baroque Pop" Song.
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:12

The wiki articles list these songs as being Rolling Stones "Baroque Pop" songs per "genre":

Play with fire
As Tears Go By
Ruby Tuesday
Lady Jane
Backstreet Girl

Favourite? Comments? Others?

I know labels often just serve a functional purpose and is not always necessarily the way it is though labels obviously help to call something a rock 'n' roll song.

Baroque pop, baroque rock,[1] or English baroque,[2] often used interchangeably with chamber pop/rock,[3] is a pop rock music subgenre which originated in the United States and United Kingdom. It emerged in the mid-1960s as a fusion of pop rock and classical music, particularly of the baroque period.

Interesting concept.

Re: Favourite Rolling Stones "Baroque Pop" Song.
Date: November 5, 2013 20:13

For the record, yes, along with psychedellia, "She's a rainbow" is placed in this category as well.

Examples of other bands' songs welcome too. Of course, I guess generally just putting a harpsichord in a song can make it sound like that too as in "Session Man" by the Kinks I would think.

"Lazy Day" by Spanky and Our Gang is often described in this mode as well. Very good song.

Best of Spanky & Our Gang: 20th Century Masters the Millennium Collection album for sale Like a more baroque Mamas & Papas, their strength was their amazingly constructed harmonies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 20:33 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:32

Moonlight mile
But I don't think it has harpsichord on it...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:34

Lady Jane.

There were some amazing baroque pop recordings around at the time, i.e. Odyssey & Oracle by The Zombies.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:37

duke richardson

But I don't think it has harpsichord on it...

It doesn't have to. thumbs up

Date: November 5, 2013 20:49

tomcasagranda
Lady Jane.

There were some amazing baroque pop recordings around at the time, i.e. Odyssey & Oracle by The Zombies.

thumbs up

I always liked that style, I may look into it. The style may have gotten slightly lost though I guess exponents of it have been along most of the time. Really good style. Difficult to define.

My definition is wrong at least in part when I'd say "It sounds sort of medieval" but some Jethro Tull sounds like that but that I gather is called "progressive rock".

It's interesting "Eleanor Rigby" and I believe they said "Yesterday" is classed in this genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 20:53 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:54

Filed under 'others'

New Faces

Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: November 5, 2013 20:55

'Ride On Baby' is another underrrated track that I think fits this genre. I've also got a soft spot for 'If You Let Me'.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 5, 2013 21:02

guess we can rule out 'Sway' even though the strings are very nice..

Date: November 5, 2013 21:03

That article from wikipedia says "Sunshine Pop" is the cheerful counterpart of "Baroque Pop" and the above would be the so-called "Sunshine Pop".

This song by the Hollies is often unrecognised but I enjoy it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 5, 2013 21:38

I try to figure out what exactly is Barogue.......

Agree...........?

Congratulations
Sittin' On A Fence
I'am Waiting
In Another Land

Date: November 5, 2013 21:55

NICOS

Congratulations

Not that.

Date: November 5, 2013 21:57

Best: Lady Jane
Worst: New Faces

Date: November 5, 2013 22:22

NICOS

Agree...........?

Congratulations
Sittin' On A Fence
I'am Waiting
In Another Land

I think songs that sound like they could be Medieval or sung in Renaissance times fit the bill but it is not defined in that way. Maybe that's why I like the Stones tunes even more, much more than the Beatles songs called Baroque Pop like Eleanor Rigby. I can almost see Lady Jane being sung in the banquet room of a Castle, hmmn, speaking of Castles and all that with the Beggar's Banquet photo shoot. Ruby Tuesday picks up tempo at the refrain but seems to have that down as well.

Not positive about the listed songs.

Harpsichords, Dulcimers seem to add to it by a lot. Sounds like "Eleanor Rigby" is classed that way because of the string arrangements.

"As tears goes by" has the lyrics "It is the evening of the day" per a search but to me, it sounds like he sings "if tis the evening of the day" and that in itself sounds Olde English.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 22:26 by BroomWagon.

Date: November 5, 2013 22:25

The intro on Ride On Baby might be the most baroq-esque they ever did.

It's almost hard to believe it was the Stones who played that intro...

Date: November 5, 2013 22:28

DandelionPowderman

Lots of factors, note in Lady Jane, even the pronunciation of "again". Making "again" rhyme with "Jane" again, seems uniquely English.

"Your servant am I and will humbly remain", that doesn't even sound very 20th century, sounds like Royalty, that may not be the definition of Baroque Rock but that sounds very uniquely English. In the USA, it'd be difficult to even come up with lyrics like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-05 22:32 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 5, 2013 22:42

BroomWagon
NICOS

Agree...........?

Congratulations
Sittin' On A Fence
I'am Waiting
In Another Land

I think songs that sound like they could be Medieval or sung in Renaissance times fit the bill but it is not defined in that way. Maybe that's why I like the Stones tunes even more, much more than the Beatles songs called Baroque Pop like Eleanor Rigby. I can almost see Lady Jane being sung in the banquet room of a Castle, hmmn, speaking of Castles and all that with the Beggar's Banquet photo shoot. Ruby Tuesday picks up tempo at the refrain but seems to have that down as well.

Not positive about the listed songs.

Harpsichords, Dulcimers seem to add to it by a lot. Sounds like "Eleanor Rigby" is classed that way because of the string arrangements.

"As tears goes by" has the lyrics "It is the evening of the day" per a search but to me, it sounds like he sings "if tis the evening of the day" and that in itself sounds Olde English.

Thanks BroomWagon I think I get the picture........

Date: November 5, 2013 22:43

Lady Jane:

It has an Elizabethan atmosphere with its lyrics and Brian Jones's dulcimer, without any drums on the studio version.[1] However, live recording have drums included. The song was a part of their live act during their 1966 and 1967 tours. They also performed the song during their fourth TV appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. Since Jones's death in 1969, the Rolling Stones had not played the song, but it was included in the setlist for the band's second 50th anniversary show at the O2 Arena in London in November 2012. It was originally included in the first night's set but dropped for an unknown reason.

Date: November 5, 2013 22:49

BroomWagon
DandelionPowderman

Lots of factors, note in Lady Jane, even the pronunciation of "again". Making "again" rhyme with "Jane" again, seems uniquely English.

"Your servant am I and will humbly remain", that doesn't even sound very 20th century, sounds like Royalty, that may not be the definition of Baroque Rock but that sounds very uniquely English. In the USA, it'd be difficult to even come up with lyrics like that.

I agree totally, but I meant musically (Ride On Baby).

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 5, 2013 23:33

Toss up between Lady Jane and Back Street Girl.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 5, 2013 23:37

Personally, I do not like harpsichord in any of the songs except some on Satanic Majesties which is psychadelic. On the rest, it ruined the songs for me. They used it on B2B also, on a ballad, I forget the name, but I cringe when I hear it.

Date: November 5, 2013 23:57

DandelionPowderman

at one point didn't we start calling New Faces, New Feces?

For the record, I don't have a problem with the song...something different on the Voodoo.

Date: November 6, 2013 04:18

I never knew Bill played bow on the doghouse bass like this:

Date: November 6, 2013 04:21

Keith did the bowing and Bill the note fretting on the recording.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 6, 2013 08:01

I am waiting
Lady Jane
Ride on Baby

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 6, 2013 08:04

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

For the record, I don't have a problem with the song...something different on the Voodoo.

I've always like New Faces. I think it's a nice tune. Come on, guys and gals, everything doesn't have to "rock." God, what a boring world that would be if that were the case.

Date: November 6, 2013 08:33

tomk
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I've always like New Faces. I think it's a nice tune. Come on, guys and gals, everything doesn't have to "rock." God, what a boring world that would be if that were the case.

What I find curious with a band like the Stones, that have done almost every style of popular music (and most very well) is that you'll get factions of fans that hate certain styles.

To me, that is exactly why I love the band and rarely am bored with it is because they can cover so many styles and yet still sound like the Stones. I think that strength is exactly why I enjoy listening so much.

Date: November 6, 2013 08:49

"Dream on" sounds kind of Baroque to me, always seemed like they were innovative as well, if I'm not repeating myself here, additionally of course, Dream On is bluesy, a ballad, rocks, etc.

Heard some of the Zombies "Oddysey and Oracle", that is very good and was mentioned in this thread as well. Will look into that more.

Date: November 6, 2013 09:28

tomk
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I like New Faces too. However, all the other baroque-songs they did are better, imo smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2013 09:29

treaclefingers
tomk
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I've been playing baroque myself, absolutely love the Kinks and love the Stones's baroque-numbers. It's just that New Faces isn't up there with the other ones, even though I like it smiling smiley

What I find curious with a band like the Stones, that have done almost every style of popular music (and most very well) is that you'll get factions of fans that hate certain styles.

To me, that is exactly why I love the band and rarely am bored with it is because they can cover so many styles and yet still sound like the Stones. I think that strength is exactly why I enjoy listening so much.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home