Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Voodoo Lounge album
Date: October 29, 2013 16:44

Love Is Strong
So Young
The Worst
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me, Baby
Baby Break It Down

Moon Is Up
Mean Disposition
You Got It Made
Out Of Tears
Thru And Thru

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 29, 2013 16:52

That shortening exercise could have been done to TATTOO YOU most of their albums.

Date: October 29, 2013 16:54

Witness
That shortening exercise could have been done to TATTOO YOU most of their albums.

VL is a double album, Witness. TY isn't smiling smiley

Date: October 29, 2013 17:02

It is nothing wrong about releasing a double album in my opinion.

TATTOO YOU could have been made a mini-album.

Date: October 29, 2013 17:04

Witness
It is nothing wrong about releasing a double album in my opinion.

TATTOO YOU could have been made a mini-album.

Why is that, there isn't even a weak song on TY?

Date: October 29, 2013 17:06

It is a matter of taste. Such as they made it, that album is their weakest, in my opinion.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:09

DandelionPowderman
Love Is Strong
So Young
The Worst
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me, Baby
Baby Break It Down

Moon Is Up
Mean Disposition
You Got It Made
Out Of Tears
Thru And Thru

Yeah, DP in my original post I forgot "Jump On Top" - great song. I didn't include "So Young" as it was on the SG bonus disc.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 29, 2013 18:10

Also, left T & T off because I already had 2 Keith songs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:30

Witness

If I were going to take off a song from Tattoo You, perhaps Neighbours. But then, I think you could take off Lies from Some Girls as well.

At least when you're down to 10 or 11 songs, if one of them is duff, not a big deal.

It's when you have 16-18 tracks and you can easily remove 8 of them, that becomes a problem. The album is too hard to get into. The good music is buried amongst the average so you end up listening to none of it.

That I think is the problem with the post Steel Wheels stuff. Too much average material for the good material to get lost in. OK, I like Saint of Me, but you're telling me I've got to wade through ASMB, Already Over Me, Lowdown, Gunface and Always Suffering to get to it? Pass.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2013 18:33

Are we going to polish this turd also?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 19:05

Suck on the Jugular is the only turkey on there to me. Sounds forced and in parts out of tune.

Date: October 29, 2013 19:25

Stoneage
Are we going to polish this turd also?

spit shine!

Date: October 29, 2013 19:29

treaclefingers
Witness

If I were going to take off a song from Tattoo You, perhaps Neighbours. But then, I think you could take off Lies from Some Girls as well.

At least when you're down to 10 or 11 songs, if one of them is duff, not a big deal.

It's when you have 16-18 tracks and you can easily remove 8 of them, that becomes a problem. The album is too hard to get into. The good music is buried amongst the average so you end up listening to none of it.

That I think is the problem with the post Steel Wheels stuff. Too much average material for the good material to get lost in. OK, I like Saint of Me, but you're telling me I've got to wade through ASMB, Already Over Me, Lowdown, Gunface and Always Suffering to get to it? Pass.

In fact, even if I am far from pleased with TATTOO YOU, I would not take anything away from it, unless the band hypothetically offered alternatives. But rhetorically to announce my wish to do such things, is my way of objecting to have songs that I myself like or worship, taken away from many other albums. When you mention songs that you have to wade through to come to "Saint of Me", you give the titles of songs, which, with the exception of "Gunface", I either like or simply love. Most painful of all, is to see "Always Suffering" once again neglected. One might say that it is a subdued song to be about suffering, and that it ought to have been more passionate. However, when there has been a very longlasting feeling of suffering, so comprising that it is understood as always, the more silent, but deepfelt melody and its delivery, might be seen as all the more adequate for the feeling. I find it very moving. One of their very, very best from 1989 and onwards.

And when I consider VOODOO LOUNGE to be a good album, and a couple of solid steps up from DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS, as describing a comparative slump in between them, VOODOO LOUNGE does not reach the level of BRIDGES TO BABYLON. However, I would not shorten it, and trying to do so, would hardly heighten my verdict of the album. And if someone was out in that errand, I am afraid that songs that are especially to my esteem, would be the ones taken away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 19:33 by Witness.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 21:56

i think what the stones should have done with albums which maybe have a bit to much filler to drag it down is to get rid of certain songs and replace with cover versions.

it worked with the first few albums, for voodoo lounge, maybe they could have added

like a rolling stone, another 2 covers and songs from voodoo lounge like

love is strong
you got me rocking
i go wild
brand new car
the worst
out of tears
blinded by rainbows
new faces
moon is up

that would be a good album.

could have done the same with bridges to babylon.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: October 30, 2013 04:42

I couldn't have said it better myself Gazza, spot on!

Date: October 30, 2013 04:46

Witness
treaclefingers
Witness

In fact, even if I am far from pleased with TATTOO YOU, I would not take anything away from it, unless the band hypothetically offered alternatives. But rhetorically to announce my wish to do such things, is my way of objecting to have songs that I myself like or worship, taken away from many other albums. When you mention songs that you have to wade through to come to "Saint of Me", you give the titles of songs, which, with the exception of "Gunface", I either like or simply love. Most painful of all, is to see "Always Suffering" once again neglected. One might say that it is a subdued song to be about suffering, and that it ought to have been more passionate. However, when there has been a very longlasting feeling of suffering, so comprising that it is understood as always, the more silent, but deepfelt melody and its delivery, might be seen as all the more adequate for the feeling. I find it very moving. One of their very, very best from 1989 and onwards.

And when I consider VOODOO LOUNGE to be a good album, and a couple of solid steps up from DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS, as describing a comparative slump in between them, VOODOO LOUNGE does not reach the level of BRIDGES TO BABYLON. However, I would not shorten it, and trying to do so, would hardly heighten my verdict of the album. And if someone was out in that errand, I am afraid that songs that are especially to my esteem, would be the ones taken away.

Well, my intent was not to disparage you or your preference for those songs so sorry it came out that way.

On the other hand, I will stand by my assertion that almost all albums, to be listenable, shouldn't be longer than 10-12 songs and last about 40-45 minutes. That's a perfect amount of time.

There is the very rare exception, Exile, Blonde on Blonde, White Album where I think a double can be pulled off and the result actually be better as a longer, double album. I don't think any of the stones albums other than Exile or a greatest hits album like Hot Rocks fall into that category.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 11:45

I for one would rather hear EVERYTHING, given the paucity of new material for about 3 decades!, and decide for myself what I like or what I can do without.

If they HAD cut VL down to 10 or so songs, then all of us would be missing SOMETHING that we may have enjoyed, because NONE of us can agree on the 10 that should be in the 'final cut"

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: October 31, 2013 15:55

I’m really surprised that so many people dislike Voodoo Lounge. I’ve always liked this album. It’s one of the few ‘modern’ Stones albums that I tend to listen to start to finish [the sum is better than the parts]. There does seem to be more of a band feel to this album vs. Bridges and Bigger Bang where the Stones were rarely in the same room together. Maybe this was due to Bill’s departure and everyone put a little more into the recording. I liked that they tried something new with some of the songs. I grew up in the ‘60’s – the benchmark years for me will always be 1968-1972. But the Stones are never going to sound like that again; still this is a very good album. There were also some great B-sides released during this time [I’m Gonna Drive, Jump On Top of Me, The Storm], all would have been great additions to the album. As to the length… there are pages and pages of posts asking for the Stones to open the vaults – release it all, we say. CD’s have there drawbacks but you can always edit out the songs you don’t like. Truth is, a Stones failed experiment is often better that much of the music that is currently out there.

Date: October 31, 2013 16:23

RWFish
I’m really surprised that so many people dislike Voodoo Lounge. I’ve always liked this album. It’s one of the few ‘modern’ Stones albums that I tend to listen to start to finish [the sum is better than the parts]. There does seem to be more of a band feel to this album vs. Bridges and Bigger Bang where the Stones were rarely in the same room together. Maybe this was due to Bill’s departure and everyone put a little more into the recording. I liked that they tried something new with some of the songs. I grew up in the ‘60’s – the benchmark years for me will always be 1968-1972. But the Stones are never going to sound like that again; still this is a very good album. There were also some great B-sides released during this time [I’m Gonna Drive, Jump On Top of Me, The Storm], all would have been great additions to the album. As to the length… there are pages and pages of posts asking for the Stones to open the vaults – release it all, we say. CD’s have there drawbacks but you can always edit out the songs you don’t like. Truth is, a Stones failed experiment is often better that much of the music that is currently out there.

I'm not so sure there are that many who actually dislike it.

It probably has more to do with the enormous amount of exciting outtakes that weren't included on the album AND that the album is a little too long for many's liking...

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 1, 2013 06:11

It is a shame that these remainders are not treated like their 77-78 sessions and used across multiple albums. Bridges to Babylon and an album before and/or after it would had revived them as a comercially viable "recording" band.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 1, 2013 14:09

I love Neighbors. TY is perfect.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 1, 2013 14:25

RWFish
...Truth is, a Stones failed experiment is often better than much of the music that is currently out there.

Very good point.
The issue, as ever, is that [for some folks], if it's not as good the "golden years" output...it must be rubbish.

Date: November 1, 2013 16:18

nick
It is a shame that these remainders are not treated like their 77-78 sessions and used across multiple albums. Bridges to Babylon and an album before and/or after it would had revived them as a comercially viable "recording" band.

I don't know about that...I think the idea of editing is to take out the average or poor material. If all you're doing is relocating it to a new album then I think you're really sinking the quality of that new album.

Anyway, it's a moot point now.

Date: November 1, 2013 16:50

Spud
RWFish
...Truth is, a Stones failed experiment is often better than much of the music that is currently out there.

Agree 100%

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-01 16:50 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 02:30

I thought it was a good Stones album..Very versatile.. I think its a nice recent gem

Jump On Top Of Me Should Have Been On The Record

Cheers,

SOUL

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 03:30

no

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:41

There's a lot on VL that should have been left off. The B-sides, with exception to So Young, should've been on the LP. Too much is too much, regardless of how long it's been.

They did slightly better with BRIDGES, although BTB is a bit too long too (dump the stupid MAWGJuiced and ridiculous Gunface and suddenly BTB gets pretty good).

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: January 7, 2014 13:54

I like Gunface and Juiced. Bridges is a cracker of an album to me. I always preferred Voodoo until about five years ago when I found myself thumping Bridges consistently. I think Bridges is the furthest they've ever trodden outside of their comfort zone since Satanics.

I still love Voodoo though. Just think it would've been better clipped is all.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 7, 2014 13:56

For me Bridges is a far superior album. Voodoo is wildly uneven with a hell of a lot of pretty bad filler. Some very embarrassing songs as well, like Suck on the Jugular. Some great material though, such as The Worse and Mean Disposition.

Date: January 7, 2014 14:08

whitem8
For me Bridges is a far superior album. Voodoo is wildly uneven with a hell of a lot of pretty bad filler. Some very embarrassing songs as well, like Suck on the Jugular. Some great material though, such as The Worse and Mean Disposition.

And Bridges isn't? The gap in quality, from How Can I Stop to Gunface is unbelievable, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 14:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home