Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What show did you see on the 1969 tour?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:45

Aquamarine, have you ever been to Los Angeles?
If you should have reason to come here, I will give you the grand tour of music in crowd spots. Even Zuma Beach!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:57

Many years ago, though I didn't get a chance to explore--but I will probably be in California this spring, will keep you posted! Would love to see the places I've heard about all these years. smiling smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 3, 2013 08:10

Regarding equipment problems at the LA Forum shows: There was only one glitch at the first show. On Midnight Rambler, Mick's harmonica microphone was feeding back terribly, so he ditched it and played through a vocal mic. Otherwise, the show was clean sound-wise (of course, to my recollection! It will be 44 years in a few days!).

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2013 08:20

DaveG
Regarding equipment problems at the LA Forum shows: There was only one glitch at the first show. On Midnight Rambler, Mick's harmonica microphone was feeding back terribly, so he ditched it and played through a vocal mic. Otherwise, the show was clean sound-wise (of course, to my recollection! It will be 44 years in a few days!).

Awesome!! I was only 10 years old at the time so attending a Stones concert was not negoitable with my parents. Let me ask you this question - Is the L.A. concert comparable to the "Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out" collection?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 3, 2013 09:02

Chris Fountain
DaveG

Awesome!! I was only 10 years old at the time so attending a Stones concert was not negoitable with my parents. Let me ask you this question - Is the L.A. concert comparable to the "Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out" collection?

Yes, nearly identical set, with just a few differences. At the show I attended, Mick and Keith sat down and played Prodigal Son, which is not on Ya Yas. It was brilliantly performed, after which Mick said, "Got a crick in my neck after that one!"

Remember, the first Forum show was only the second show on the tour, Fort Collins being the first. They were still working out some wrinkles. By the time they got to NYC (Ya Yas), they were in a groove.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:30

I did both shows at Auburn then Baltimore. JJF opener was great! Then Carol--I learned every lick Keith played on that--fun to play to this day.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:46

Just one show for me . hyde park in 1969

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 3, 2013 15:05

Important to note that RADIO was a key factor in 1969. Most of the great radio personalities of the time were talking non-stop about the Stones. Radio was the life blood of young people then. We listened constantly, called our friends and we all knew that if we didn't get to see the Stones, life would have no meaning at all!

NY TIMES HEADLINE FOR REVIEW OF THE NOVEMBER 27, 1969 CONCERT:

16,000 SHOUT WITH JOY AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 19:51 by stonesrule.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 4, 2013 02:23

Michael Lydon, worked for Rolling Stone magazineback in the day, did a nice long write up on the 1969 tour titled "The Rolling Stones Discover America" which was publised in the defunct Ramparts magazine collectors edition published in 1970. He also put it out in a book titled "Flashbacks" which has a great collection of Rock stories from the golden era.

[www.amazon.com]

You can get just the Stones piece from Amazon as a download for $1.99.

[www.amazon.com]

It is a great read if you are a fan of that tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-04 05:57 by oldschool.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 4, 2013 17:20

stonesrule
No, there were 2 shows and as my memory cleared this morning the 2 shows were on the same night of November 8. The delay because of the afternoon sports event caused the first show to be very late starting thus the 2nd show did not begin until after 1AM in the morning.

Seems to be right. But for many years there was talk of return shows in LA Nov. 20/21.(Aeppli:Heart of Stone,etc.)

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: November 6, 2013 12:14

CousinC

Seems to be right. But for many years there was talk of return shows in LA Nov. 20/21.(Aeppli:Heart of Stone,etc.)

There was a planned for the 20th but it got cancelled along with a couple of other shows.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: November 6, 2013 13:17

I parked my bike right in front of the stage at Altamont. Didn't see too much of the show though, too busy clubbing people away from the motor.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 9, 2013 22:57

I noticed the Chicago Tribune had a reporter sending dispatches on this tour.
I will try to post them in the next week or so.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: November 13, 2013 22:32

Altamont. I've already written about it on other IORR threads, but I guess my favorite song from the show would HAVE to be 'The Sun is Shining.' The only time on the tour they played it. I definitely remember people in the audience looking at each other and asking what song THAT was, with lots of shrugging shoulders.

BTW, I had a very clear memory of Mick announcing they were going to play a new song they had never done onstage before: Brown Sugar. Some laughs from the audience, and you could see (and can hear on recordings) Keith and Mick Taylor reviewing the opening chords together. Wow. 30 years later when I finally acquired a cassette recording of the concert, memories were confirmed.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 13, 2013 22:53

scaffer
Altamont. I've already written about it on other IORR threads, but I guess my favorite song from the show would HAVE to be 'The Sun is Shining.' The only time on the tour they played it. I definitely remember people in the audience looking at each other and asking what song THAT was, with lots of shrugging shoulders.

BTW, I had a very clear memory of Mick announcing they were going to play a new song they had never done onstage before: Brown Sugar. Some laughs from the audience, and you could see (and can hear on recordings) Keith and Mick Taylor reviewing the opening chords together. Wow. 30 years later when I finally acquired a cassette recording of the concert, memories were confirmed.

The Sun Is Shining:

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:17

The Sun Is Shining:

[/quote]

This has been covered previously, but in the first photo of this audio post the taper can be seen at the stage on the right. He has blondish hair and glasses. The guy was a real trooper that day considering what he had to go through to get his recording. He was in the thick of it.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 14, 2013 13:26

I just wanted to say that these stories are great. For those of us too young (or even unborn) in late-1969, these stories help us get a clearer picture of the tour.

So thanks to all who have posted. Please keep them coming!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 14, 2013 15:41

Thanks scaffer..
Those Altamont stories are brilliant !
Now all we need is a full soundboard and dvd !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 15:42 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: November 14, 2013 16:33

There are two guys here at work that attended in '69, one in Minnesota ('72 actually) and the other in Colorado. That guy said he liked B.B. King better. Oh, to trade places. Made him a nice BB compilation after telling me all about it and he's a happy man. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 16:37 by Lil' Brian.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 14, 2013 18:52

pmk251
The Sun Is Shining:

This has been covered previously, but in the first photo of this audio post the taper can be seen at the stage on the right. He has blondish hair and glasses. The guy was a real trooper that day considering what he had to go through to get his recording. He was in the thick of it.[/quote]

Like a war journalist in the heat of the battle.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:45

Someone above asked about this show and I just stumbled across it:

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 4, 2014 20:07

tornnfrayed
Is there video of this show ?

I was trying to find some videos from Tokyo and found this one:

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 4, 2014 20:35

Wow...never seen that footage!
Awesome..thanks for the link and the uploader..great work.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 4, 2014 20:48

pmk251
Here it is: The Taylor Satisfaction solo from the 2nd show, but watch for that quick look of Keith playing LQ. I watched him a lot that night. Music was coming out of his body.

That boy could play a mean guitar

Date: March 5, 2014 00:33

michaelsavage
pmk251
Here it is: The Taylor Satisfaction solo from the 2nd show, but watch for that quick look of Keith playing LQ. I watched him a lot that night. Music was coming out of his body.

That is great footage I have never seen before! thanks for sharing

Date: March 5, 2014 00:47

Cristiano Radtke
tornnfrayed
Is there video of this show ?

I was trying to find some videos from Tokyo and found this one:

Pretty cool footage! makes you wonder how much more 69 tour stuff is out there we have never seen!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 5, 2014 21:00

oldschool
michaelsavage
pmk251

That is great footage I have never seen before! thanks for sharing

That was great..........is there more footage..........

LA '69 - super 8mm with dubbed sound
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 9, 2014 05:47

Re: LA '69 - super 8mm with dubbed sound
Date: March 9, 2014 17:10

It blows me away how much shows up on YouTube. I wonder how much of this stuff would be lost or unknown if it wasn't for YouTube.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

"Rock and Roll is a nuclear blast of reality in a mundane world where no one is allowed to be magnificent." _ Kim Fowley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-09 17:16 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Re: LA '69 - super 8mm with dubbed sound
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 9, 2014 17:30

Nicely done HBwriter

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home