Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: What show did you see on the 1969 tour?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2013 00:43

In '69 i was 4 years old and my mom says NO!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 31, 2013 01:28

I was 4 years old as well. At least there's the album and film documenting bits and pieces of it. I can imagine from those that they were great concerts to see in person, and the Stones were great.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: October 31, 2013 05:10

pmk251
Inglewood Forum, 11/08/69, 2nd. I have previously posted my comments. The show made a lasting impression on me. It was not the most exciting show I ever saw, but even then I had a sense that I had seen something historic. 28 years later I heard the very nice audience recording of that show. I set aside the time, locked my self away, put on earphones and listened to that recording as closely as I ever listened to anything in my life. I time traveled. The slow, sexy opening chords of JJF. Jagger apologizing for the late hour (it was in fact the 9th). The show opened then closed with a rush. The middle was mostly medium tempo or slower. I felt it was a more low key show than I thought it would be. I was grateful to hear the opening chords of UMT. Even then I grasped that the set list was pointedly chosen. The star of the evening for me was Keith. When I heard the recording I confirmed why. For me this was and always will be classic Keith, playing the music the way he was born to play it. He made it look effortless and very sexy.

Which CD has the "very nice recording ? Would love to pick it up. Please advise. Thanks and I enjoyed your reminiscenses.

Date: October 31, 2013 05:12

Is there video of this show ?

Date: October 31, 2013 05:12

filstan
16 November International Amphitheater, South Halsted Street Chicago Second show. Mezzanine seats stage right. I've also posted some comments about this show in other threads, but what the hell. Brings back great memories. I was 16 and drove the family station wagon to the show with 3 friends in tow. Riveting show that reaffirmed my belief that these guys were the real deal. That Ampeg sound, LIB was not yet released so those songs from that LP were not known to most of us yet. I still believe that on this tour was Jagger at his best. Mick and Keith sitting on the stools doing Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move was cool. Chuck Berry was a phenomenal opening act and Terry Reed was also good. Stones doing Carol and Queenie made it extra special. Rockin! Short and sweet setlist. MT was brilliant and looked so young. He and Keith were magical together. Cool SFD workup early in the show was awesome and showed that MT and Keith could get it on. Midnight Rambler blew everyone away as it was completely unknown. Can you imagine? Finish with Satisfaction and SFM were huge. No encore necessary. I loved all the boots from that tour. Hope more surface in better quality. Still waiting for a complete video. It must be out there....

Is there a partial video of this show ?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 31, 2013 06:14

Yes, I would love to find video of the 1st Forum show as well. I doubt if any exists, other than bits and pieces. I did find a recording of it and it brought back some wonderful memories, even though it is a terrible-sounding recording.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 06:38

tornnfrayed
pmk251
Inglewood Forum, 11/08/69, 2nd. I have previously posted my comments. The show made a lasting impression on me. It was not the most exciting show I ever saw, but even then I had a sense that I had seen something historic. 28 years later I heard the very nice audience recording of that show. I set aside the time, locked my self away, put on earphones and listened to that recording as closely as I ever listened to anything in my life. I time traveled. The slow, sexy opening chords of JJF. Jagger apologizing for the late hour (it was in fact the 9th). The show opened then closed with a rush. The middle was mostly medium tempo or slower. I felt it was a more low key show than I thought it would be. I was grateful to hear the opening chords of UMT. Even then I grasped that the set list was pointedly chosen. The star of the evening for me was Keith. When I heard the recording I confirmed why. For me this was and always will be classic Keith, playing the music the way he was born to play it. He made it look effortless and very sexy.

Which CD has the "very nice recording ? Would love to pick it up. Please advise. Thanks and I enjoyed your reminiscenses.

There are actually two recordings from this show, each has its strong points. The more or less "original" titles are "Cocaine On A Dentist Chair" and "Born In A Crossfire Hurricane." After that there are other releases under different names. "Cocaine" is a very guitar heavy recording...if you like the guitars! smiling smiley Contact me if you need help getting them.

There is that short video with sound that has part of Taylor's Satisfaction solo and a delicious glimpse of Keith playing LQ.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 31, 2013 11:04

Any photos?? Would love to see some fan photos from the 69 tour

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 31, 2013 13:48

His Majesty
Bellajane
I loved the scene in the cd when Mick Jagger, then Mick Taylor sat down on the stage together.

He plays some mighty tasty licks during that part. cool smiley

Sure does. I feel embarrassed...I meant to say that I have the dvd not the cd of the concert. Oh well.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: October 31, 2013 15:17

Baltimore Civic Center, Baltimore Md. B.B. King opened the show. I remember the Stones were incredibly late coming to the stage. This was the first major act I had seen live and they were amazing. If I had to pick show highlights, I would say Sympathy For The Devil, Midnight Rambler, You Got To Move, Street Fighting Man. Sympathy and Rambler had the additional surprise of stage lighting and theatrics. The affect of bringing up the house lights before Honky Tonk Women through the end of Street Fighting Man reenergized an already spent audience. Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out and the Gimme Shelter Movie really captured the distilled raw energy of the Stones on that tour.

Date: October 31, 2013 17:46

Here it is: The Taylor Satisfaction solo from the 2nd show, but watch for that quick look of Keith playing LQ. I watched him a lot that night. Music was coming out of his body.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:24

RWFish
Baltimore Civic Center, Baltimore Md. B.B. King opened the show. I remember the

Stones were incredibly late coming to the stage. This was the first major act I had seen live and they were amazing. If I had to pick show highlights, I would say Sympathy For The Devil, Midnight Rambler, You Got To Move, Street Fighting Man. Sympathy and Rambler had the additional surprise of stage lighting and theatrics. The affect of bringing up the house lights before Honky Tonk Women through the end of Street Fighting Man reenergized an already spent audience. Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out and the Gimme Shelter Movie really captured the distilled raw energy of the Stones on that tour.

I agree about the effect of turning the house lights up for the last few songs. When was that, just before Little Queenie? Mick really revved it up after Queenie. To this day I can honestly say I have never seen a performer do to an audience what Mick did back on that 69 tour. He just cranked up the excitement, complete control. The fans left begging for more. Jagger was then and always will be considered the master front man. I think Altamont changed MJ, and why wouldn't it? I think he dialed it back some after that.

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: October 31, 2013 22:57

Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts November 29. 1st show.
Although I had been to my share of concerts up to this point, I could not miss this one, being the Stones freek that I was. I missed the Stones in 1966 when they played in this area but was lucky to get tickets this time around because when tickets sold out so fast, they added another show. They played 2 shows this night.
Midnight Ramble,Love in Vain and Street Fighting Man stand out. Loved the whole show. The Stones did not miss a note.
Terry Reid opened.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 1, 2013 03:35

DaveG
I saw the LA Forum 1st show. I have chronicled the events of that experience here before, so I won't bore anyone with the details again, except to say that it was an unforgettable evening, from Terry Reid to BB King to the Ike and Tina Turner Revue, to the Rolling Stones. Went with 15 friends after waiting in line all night at the Forum when tickets went on sale. Having seen them in '66, I was blown away at the transformation, at the "new" look and sound of the group. I was mesmerized.

Dave it is always a pleasure reading your concert recollections, never tedious. Especially when we need a peek at the brilliant era.

Were you able to see any good soul shows back in those days?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 2, 2013 01:02

Altamont, Dec 6.....JOKING!!! My Dad thought I was too young to go to a Stones concert so I missed the Nov 29th show at Boston Garden...I was upset!!! I was 16....but I went in 1972 and every tour after that. Dad bought tickets!! I took the copy of Rolling Stone Magazine announcing their tour dates to my History class and was passing it back & forth to a fellow Stones fan...RIP Geoffrey---he was trying to figure out how to get there to that show...when my teacher saw us with the magazine and in a loud voice said " Miss Johnson, would you like to share with the class what you find so interesting in that magazine"? So I stood up and said, " Why yes, Mr Cirone ( also deceased--a great teacher!) the Stones are playing Boston Garden next week and we really want to go!". He came over to check out the article, read a bit of it and handed it back to me. It was my first bit of public advertising for Mick & Co.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 2, 2013 02:18

The Sicilian
DaveG
I saw the LA Forum 1st show. I have chronicled the events of that experience here before, so I won't bore anyone with the details again, except to say that it was an unforgettable evening, from Terry Reid to BB King to the Ike and Tina Turner Revue, to the Rolling Stones. Went with 15 friends after waiting in line all night at the Forum when tickets went on sale. Having seen them in '66, I was blown away at the transformation, at the "new" look and sound of the group. I was mesmerized.

Dave it is always a pleasure reading your concert recollections, never tedious. Especially when we need a peek at the brilliant era.

Were you able to see any good soul shows back in those days?

Thanks, Sicilian. Really, I don't recall going to any soul shows. Looking back, I would like to have seen James Brown, Otis Redding, and Sam and Dave, to name a few. There were plenty of shows in and around the LA area, but they didn't interest me back then. I did go to see a show featuring The Supremes and The Temptations in around '67. It was a tremendous show, both groups very enjoyable.

There was a small club near our house in East LA that had live music, called The Venice Room. In '68 my dad took me there to see the Louie Bellson Band, with Doc Severinsen sitting in with them. It was a great evening, up close to some big band legends.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 2, 2013 05:02

Wow Chacho! That means that from the first opening show of that tour till the end at Altamont was only about one and a half month's apart. Lot's happened in between and your lucky to have been a part of it all. I didn't get to see them until 1975. Still infamous as a band, and still important as far as rock history's concerned I quess? Nothing much compared to 69 and 72 however, their hugest year's. And I never did get the chance to see them with M.Taylor at their absolute best. Too young.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 2, 2013 05:20

Boston Garden that year around Thanksgiving. From my vantage point the sound was thin. So sorry to disappoint you Stones-O-Philes. Me and cousins in Lexington Massachusetts got hopped up on a pill form of mescaline before we headed out to the show. Mick Jagger had that stupid black Omega shirt on.

The main thing I remember is Mick Taylor playing on Love In Vain which was well done in a shadowed light. Tickets were three dollars.

****** By sound being thin this was just the infamous five. No brass or Bobby Keys. I suppose Stu played piano on some tunes but was not visible to me. Not that I looked because I was unaware of him back then

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-02 05:26 by triceratops.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 2, 2013 05:24

Rob51, I thought pmk251's post summed up the reaction of many.

The Stones arrived in LA in October under a LOT OF PRESSURE (the recent death of Brian, the growing disillusion with Allen Klein, financial problems, not to mention putting together the concert tour.) A lot happened in a short time leading up to Altamont, and Mick was HOUNDED by everybody who wanted something.
In today's music scene, there would be a strong manager to handle it all. By default, Mick was managing it all as best he could with the focus being to show America that The Rolling Stones were a great band with great songs. Someone had to LEAD and no one else in the band wanted that job.

Most everyone at the two Forum concerts had never felt such joy before. This was THE band. The audience accepted shy Mick T because he was now a Rolling Stone and he was a hell of a guitar player. Jagger, Richards, Watts, and Wyman were considered the coolest rock muscians on the planet,

Stanley Booth's book on that tour tells much of the story.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 2, 2013 05:30

stonesrule
Rob51, I thought pmk251's post summed up the reaction of many.

The Stones arrived in LA in October under a LOT OF PRESSURE (the recent death of Brian, the growing disillusion with Allen Klein, financial problems, not to mention putting together the concert tour.) A lot happened in a short time leading up to Altamont, and Mick was HOUNDED by everybody who wanted something.
In today's music scene, there would be a strong manager to handle it all. By default, Mick was managing it all as best he could with the focus being to show America that The Rolling Stones were a great band with great songs. Someone had to LEAD and no one else in the band wanted that job.

Most everyone at the two Forum concerts had never felt such joy before. This was THE band. The audience accepted shy Mick T because he was now a Rolling Stone and he was a hell of a guitar player. Jagger, Richards, Watts, and Wyman were considered the coolest rock muscians on the planet,

Holmes!! Your take is all true. For the young The Stones were a super power. More powerful than Breznev's USSR. They did have all the old responsible people worried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-02 05:33 by triceratops.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 2, 2013 05:43

I seem to remember that there were soundproblems at one of the LA shows with long breaks.The first one?
Amplifiers crashing. "We are not used to those huge places" Stu . .

Date: November 2, 2013 07:30

My journals of that year are in storage and perhaps BluzDude will correct me if I'm vaguely wrong. Frankly, all I have is the best memories of two nights of great concerts. I don't recall that the sound problems were major. I do remember,re Stu, that he was overwhelmed that the Forum held almost 20,000 people.

I believe it was the second night when the eager audience was delayed in getting inside. There had been a sports event that afternoon, posssibly hockey, and the Forum had to be revamped inside before it was ready for the audience and, of course, the band and their equipment. Bottom line was that the Stones did not get on stage until after 1AM in the morning.

We...everyone in the audience...was completely buzzed.) Few complainers. We were so EAGER and completely sure that it would all come together. Probably the most exciting night of our young lives...

All these years later a kinship exists between those who were there. I remember all sorts of great conversations and instant bonding with various members of the audience at the Hollywood Bowl show on the ABB tour as we compared notes -- "Oh, you were at the Forum! what night? Weren't the Stones FANTASTIC?"

We were very innocent in 1969,

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 2, 2013 09:23

stonesrule

Be interested to know your opinion of his book, stonesrule?

Date: November 2, 2013 11:28

Stanley, at that time, was young, from Memphis and really understood the roots of the Stones music. They liked him a lot and opened up to him in a way they seldom have. He saw them on a daily basis. I remember seeing how Keith's eyes would light up when Stanley was around. I think the book is very accurate about them at that crucial time in their career...from the glory of the Forum concerts to the shock and misery of Altamont.

When we eventually meet, Aquamarine, I will tell you more privately. Any English girl who ended up in Louisiana intrigues me! I happen to love Louisiana where I spent many happy times. I once drove the entire state, swamplands and all.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 2, 2013 14:09

I saw the final official show(the one before Altamont) at the Palm Beach International Pop Festival, a three days festival in the swamps in south Florida. Most of the same bands who were at Woodstock(no The Who, unfortunately!) The Stones were eight hours late closing the festival because their plane broke down on the runway in Boston, that's what they told us anyway...smiling smiley They finally came on a 4:30 on Monday morning, by then mnost of the crowd had left. We were literally a few feet away from them...they played the standard '69 setlist, didn't give us a short show and it capped off a great weekend for us who waited around to see them!smiling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 2, 2013 14:57

Stonesrule, didn't they do 4 shows in LA alltogether?
I had that article for years about one of these gigs.Keith said they had big problems. His amp crashed and when they continued Bill could only play for himself. It sounded as if the bass was gone for the rest of the show.Stu talked about it too and the huge arena.

Date: November 2, 2013 17:29

No, there were 2 shows and as my memory cleared this morning the 2 shows were on the same night of November 8. The delay because of the afternoon sports event caused the first show to be very late starting thus the 2nd show did not begin until after 1AM in the morning.

Important to point out that although to some of the English guys working the Stones tour The Forum seemed "huge," it actually was quite a cozy place for the audience. Seating well-arranged, cheaper seats not too high up.

Date: November 2, 2013 18:49

Here's a trivia question for you: How many shows did the band do on Nov. 9th? The answer could very well be three. It depends on when the 2nd show in Oakland started. But the 2nd show at the Forum started well after midnight.

Yeah, the workers at the Forum earned their pay that day: A hockey game in the afternoon, then two shows with FOUR acts in the evening. Thankfully Terry Reid did not play the late show or we would not have gotten home before sun up.

Nowadays the '69 tour can be viewed as quaint. The tour had its travel problems, transportation problems, sound equipment problems...to say nothing about a new guitarist and playing songs BEFORE the album is released. As it was the band played 6 shows in 4 cities in 4 days. But the band forged on and the vibe of that tour is unique. It produced some of the band's most enduring performances.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 2, 2013 22:09

slew
I was only five but I love the sound of the 69 tour

Yeah, the sound of this tour, that's what it's all about!!

[www.premierguitar.com]

IORR newcomers should also look here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:09

stonesrule

When we eventually meet, Aquamarine, I will tell you more privately. Any English girl who ended up in Louisiana intrigues me! I happen to love Louisiana where I spent many happy times. I once drove the entire state, swamplands and all.

It's a date! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home