Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Morrissey comments on Jagger and Stones in new autobiography
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 25, 2013 06:11

I always figured his act was a great big put-on. So he's one of my favorite comedians, even if he is a pompous ass.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 25, 2013 13:22

I haven't read the book but from what I heard he actually wrote the book (or most of it). The amount of writing Keith did on "Life" could be fitted on a post-it note...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 25, 2013 13:37

The amount of writing Keith did on "Life" could be fitted on a post-it note...

......Sheeekers!!!! SO Keef coulda been one of them monk dudes who wrote the entire bible on the head of a pin ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 25, 2013 13:37

blah blah blah, much ado about nothing

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: October 25, 2013 15:26

"the genius secret" is well put.....thats the problem of a lot of Stones haters.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 25, 2013 16:09

i'm currently halfway through this fantastic book.

In my opinion, it's the best music autobiography since Dylan's "Chronicles"

Posted by: Nem ()
Date: October 25, 2013 21:07

Stoneage
I haven't read the book but from what I heard he actually wrote the book (or most of it). The amount of writing Keith did on "Life" could be fitted on a post-it note...

Morrissey has this thing for writing, it's pretty much what he does, unlike Keith!

Adrian-L you make wanna read it even more, I'm receiving it on Monday!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 26, 2013 00:02

Nem
Stoneage

Morrissey has this thing for writing, it's pretty much what he does, unlike Keith!

Adrian-L you make wanna read it even more, I'm receiving it on Monday!

Okay, so that's why Morrissey's music is so much more well known than Keith and the Stones, and I'm sure his book will outsell LIFE.

Real snide comment, Nem.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 26, 2013 00:16

Language comes in two forms, oral and written, both equally valid. Keith's words in Life are nearly all oral, transcribed by someone else, and they show that he has a real talent for the use of emotive language and is a born storyteller. Telling a good tale isn't the same talent as being a good reporter who deals (or should deal) strictly with written facts. That's Bill's talent. Morrissey's talent is the use of the written word and its nuances, dealing not just with facts but using structured written language to explore the implications of those facts.

ALL THESE TALENTS ARE EQUALLY WORTHY.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 26, 2013 00:22

latebloomer

Okay, so that's why Morrissey's music is so much more well known than Keith and the Stones, and I'm sure his book will outsell LIFE.

Real snide comment, Nem.

I reckon Morrissey's first two solo LP's probably out-sold Keith's by some considerable distance... in the U.K., that is.

Date: October 26, 2013 00:32

Date: October 26, 2013 00:49

Fine, I'm not batting too well here, so I'll give Aquamaine the last word, she's much more diplomatic than I am. Besides, I'm not really in the mood to argue.

But, I do want to know more about that zombie killer drone operator...

Date: October 26, 2013 01:11

really???... it's all a bit doom & gloom

ROCKMAN

Date: October 26, 2013 01:16

Rockman

really???... it's all a bit doom & gloom

Then it all must have been a dream...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 26, 2013 01:26

Nem
Stoneage

So @#$%& what? I loved Life and I don't care whether Keith wrote it with his own fair hand or if it was transcribed from interviews.

Date: October 26, 2013 01:31

Braincapers
Nem
Stoneage

So @#$%& what? I loved Life and I don't care whether Keith wrote it with his own fair hand or if it was transcribed from interviews.

Now, why couldn't I just say that? You are my hero, Braincapers. grinning smiley

Date: October 26, 2013 01:34

Then it all must have been a dream......all inside our crazy dream

ROCKMAN

Date: October 26, 2013 01:39

Erm . . . that story at the bottom (*cough*) of the page, there . . . confused smiley

Date: October 26, 2013 03:21

Rockman
Then it all must have been a dream......all inside our crazy dream

A crazy, sad dream then, Rockee...we can only wish it were so.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 26, 2013 16:33

punkfloyd

From the man who sang this about The Stones:

].

...Is this about the Stones specifically? Or about artists past a certain age in general? Or ... ?
And how do we know that (for sure)? (Like: did Morrissey specified this in an interview or something?)

Just a question; I really don't know.

(I do think it's a stupid lyric, though.)

Date: October 27, 2013 02:11

And even if it is about the Stones, the whole point of that paragraph in his book is to explain how/why he changed his mind.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 27, 2013 02:52

in other news -mick jagger is said to have a nervous breakdown worrying about what "morrissey" thinks about him.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 27, 2013 04:01

RMan, could you post or send me the whole text of the article on the autobio?
When I hit the link I could only get the first page. The little arrows wouldn't work for me.

If possible...t'anks. If not, it was good to see what was there, interesting!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2013 04:21

Aquamarine
Erm . . . that story at the bottom (*cough*) of the page, there . . . confused smiley

He is actually quite good at doing that,
I have come to just read the abutting headline winking smiley they are usually more fun

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2013 04:25

duke richardson
I still think he looks like Mitt Romney..
grinning smiley
Kind of looks like Popeye to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-27 04:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Nem ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:20

Wow, I might have been misunderstood! I really enjoyed Life no matter how much of it Keith wrote, I was not criticizing that at all!
And, I was saying that what Morrissey does is writing lyrics (and singing them), while keith also writes the music since he's a guitarist. What I understood from Life is that the Jagger/Richards writing process often started by an impulse from Keith being mostly a riff and some lines, that Jagger "finished". What I mean is that they have a group work, so Keith can write lyrics & music unlike Morrissey who has stuck to writing for 30 years which might make easier for him to write an entire book? But I was not criticizing Keith's ability to write lyrics, I love the ones he wrote, he's my favourite musician (this term including all aspects of music) & that's why I'm here smiling smiley
But well, I expressed myself badly and what I wanted to say is closer to these wise words :
Aquamarine
Language comes in two forms, oral and written, both equally valid. Keith's words in Life are nearly all oral, transcribed by someone else, and they show that he has a real talent for the use of emotive language and is a born storyteller. Telling a good tale isn't the same talent as being a good reporter who deals (or should deal) strictly with written facts. That's Bill's talent. Morrissey's talent is the use of the written word and its nuances, dealing not just with facts but using structured written language to explore the implications of those facts.

ALL THESE TALENTS ARE EQUALLY WORTHY.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 30, 2013 16:03

Stoneage
I don't think The Smiths or Morrissey were ever big in the USA. Neither were britpop. So, basically I don't think americans understand the Morrissey phenomena.

There are rock bands who never made the Top 40 charts in the U.S. but still had a passionate following and very significant influence. The Smiths were well known & loved on the American indie scene. Morrissey still has hardcore devotees in the U.S., including a sizable Mexican-American audience. Johnny Marr isn't doing too bad either - his new solo album is excellent.

I wouldn't say Morrissey is too British, but then I'm an Anglophile so don't go by me. I related to "How Soon is Now" the first instant I heard it; Hatful of Hollow was a watershed album for me. The "songs that saved your life" indeed.

P.S. I've avoided Rolling Stone mag for years, but this review of Moz's book is quite hilarious: [www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 17:47 by Claire_M.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 30, 2013 21:53

RoughJusticeOnYa
punkfloyd

From the man who sang this about The Stones:

].

...Is this about the Stones specifically? Or about artists past a certain age in general? Or ... ?
And how do we know that (for sure)? (Like: did Morrissey specified this in an interview or something?)

Just a question; I really don't know.

(I do think it's a stupid lyric, though.)

"There's a song on this album that has the Rolling Stones in mind because I've been so disgusted by their most recent comeback that I no longer find it sad or pitiful, I just feel immense anger that they don't just get out of the way. You open papers in this country, and every day there's the obligatory picture of, y'know, Mick-with-bags-at-the-airport, or Keith saying he's completely normal now. They just won't move away! The song is called 'Get Off The Stage'."

- Morrissey, The Face, March 1990

Some context provided in these links:
[www.morrissey-solo.com]
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 21:54 by punkfloyd.

Date: November 3, 2013 06:13

ROCKMAN

OT: Morrissey autobiography
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 18, 2014 22:16

Just read Morrissey book.

Am sure diehard fans will love it. Me? Not so much. He is a great talent but also seriously self-centered and rather immature in his worship of Hollywood stars of the past.

So much of the book is about rotten managers who let him down...and I don't doubt a word. But I kept thinking "When are you going to learn from past mistakes and grow up and take some responsibility as an adult?"

This book made me think more highly of Keith's "Life." At least he didn't...whine.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home