Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Morrissey comments on Jagger and Stones in new autobiography
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 24, 2013 15:04

From the man who sang this about The Stones:

].

Re: Morrissey comments on Jagger and Stones in new autobiography
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 24, 2013 15:15

Well, Morrissey is an old man himself now. Or a 52-yearold boy as he likes to call himself...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 24, 2013 15:44

He's a great writer, and I like his honesty here.

(Seriously, 52 is old???)

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 24, 2013 15:45

I can't help but get the impression that Morrissey is a bit of a pompous ass. I like his music (from what little bit I've heard) and I think he's a very good performer, but I just can't warm up to the guy. Maybe it's just me.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 24, 2013 16:04

Bellajane
I can't help but get the impression that Morrissey is a bit of a pompous ass. I like his music (from what little bit I've heard) and I think he's a very good performer, but I just can't warm up to the guy. Maybe it's just me.

He is all that and more. But endlessly interesting to me.

Does he contradict himself? Very well then he contradicts himself. He is large. He contains multitudes.

Date: October 24, 2013 16:09

I do like the song, Please Please,Please Let Me Get What I Want, which I heard in the movie Starter for Ten. It's quite good..I do like his voice.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 24, 2013 16:14

I still think he looks like Mitt Romney..

Date: October 24, 2013 16:22

duke richardson
I still think he looks like Mitt Romney..

He's another pompous ass who I'd much rather forget!grinning smiley

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 16:53

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong. Maybe he's a "pompous ass" (I don't know much about the guy), but not so pompous that he can't admit to mistakes. A real pompous ass would have stuck to his guns, even if he no longer thought it to be true.

Date: October 24, 2013 17:08

True...but I still think he's pompous or arrogant as many people have called him. Maybe at the ripe old age of 52 he's growing up. I have nothing against him personally, it's just my general impression. I'm sure Morrissey won't lose any sleep over it.

Date: October 24, 2013 17:15

Bellajane
True...but I still think he's pompous or arrogant as many people have called him. Maybe at the ripe old age of 52 he's growing up. I have nothing against him personally, it's just my general impression. I'm sure Morrissey won't lose any sleep over it.

I'm sure he is, I wasn't really disagreeing with you or anything. I was just giving him a little credit, because based on how douchey/pompous I've heard he was in the past, I didn't think he would admit to something like this.

Date: October 24, 2013 17:21

NoCode0680
Bellajane

I'm sure he is, I wasn't really disagreeing with you or anything. I was just giving him a little credit, because based on how douchey/pompous I've heard he was in the past, I didn't think he would admit to something like this.

You can disagree with me all you want..I believe in free speech!smileys with beer

Date: October 24, 2013 17:31

I don't think The Smiths or Morrissey were ever big in the USA. Neither were britpop. So, basically I don't think americans understand the Morrissey phenomena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-24 18:09 by Stoneage.

Date: October 24, 2013 17:43

Stoneage
I don't think The Smiths or Morrissey were ever big in the USA. Neither were indie or britpop. So, basically I don't think americans understand the Morrissey phenomena.

I know some Smiths/Morrissey fans, but it's kind of a niche group. "How Soon Is Now?" has always been a radio staple around here though. Britpop didn't really take off, Blur were good for 2-3 popular songs and Oasis for 1-2 albums, but that was the extent as far as I could see. As far as Indie goes, I'm not sure if you're referring to something specific or indie music in general, but indie music has its fans. There are 3 radio shows I know of on rock/alternative stations here in Dallas alone that focus on indie music, though not a whole station or anything.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 24, 2013 17:57

Stoneage
I don't think The Smiths or Morrissey were ever big in the USA. Neither were indie or britpop. So, basically I don't think americans understand the Morrissey phenomena.

Indie music wasn't/isn't big in the US???

Date: October 24, 2013 18:08

Aquamarine
Stoneage

Indie music wasn't/isn't big in the US???

Okey, score out indie then. Indie is a wider concept of course but here in Sweden it was more or less synonymous with britpop. Which it of course wasn't in the USA.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:28

Bellajane
I do like the song, Please Please,Please Let Me Get What I Want, which I heard in the movie Starter for Ten. It's quite good..I do like his voice.

It is also used in the closing sequences of the Arthur Kane biodoc New York Doll, for which Morrissey was interviewed at length.

An instrumental version as done by The Dream Academy is used in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:44

Love the Smiths, love Morrissey thumbs up

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:52

Big Al
Love the Smiths, love Morrissey thumbs up
I count myself as a big fan. BTW, for those of you living in the Bay Area, Johnny Marr is playing the Fillmore on 1 November. I'll be there!

Posted by: Nem ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:56

The Rolling Stones & The Smiths, my two favourite bands smiling smiley
Glad Morrissey recognized his mistake!

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: October 24, 2013 20:58

Never really got into the Smiths when I was growing up but now realise what a great band they were. They really did make some good music.

John Nicholls

Date: October 25, 2013 00:23

The Smiths were probably the most vital British act to emerge in the 1980's. They owned the credible British indie scene and gained a loyal following that few of their contemporaries could emulate. Their music defined a time. They were, really, the first major break-through act on an independent label - Rough Trade - and started a movement that'd continue well in the 1990's and beyond. They're highly revered and rightly so.

Date: October 25, 2013 00:49

Stoneage
I don't think The Smiths or Morrissey were ever big in the USA. Neither were britpop. So, basically I don't think americans understand the Morrissey phenomena.

The Smiths were quite English in their song-themes and general composition. If you look at the other British acts that failed to truly 'crack' the United States, it's a similar theme: The Jam, Blur, Pulp.... not Oasis. They did have some genuine meaningful success in North America circa circa What's The Story (Morning Glory). Some music that is particularly tied to the nation of it's origin, just doesn't truly translate elsewhere. There's lots of brilliant American music that the British 'don't get' as well, I am sure.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 25, 2013 02:01

I only really got into The Smiths when i watched the South Bank Show special on them just after they split up. I'd been aware of them obviously, but for some reason it hahn't clicked until that point. I bought all the albums the next day. They were a great band, Morrissey was a great (and witty)lyricist, Rourke and Joyce were a kicking rhythm section and Marr had something that all guitarists search for, a sound and style that is your own. You can tell 80's Marr a mile off.

It's pretty well known that Marr was a big Stones fan and looking back he was obviously channelling mid 60's Keith visually, but i didn't think they'd be Morrisseys thing for some reason. Glad he's seen the error of his waysgrinning smiley I read he went to one of the LA shows earlier in the year.

A great clip here from Whistle Test(post Old Grey!) during the recording of Meat Is Murder

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 02:23

I had friends who worshipped the Smiths....I appreciate and enjoy them - they were definately original. And I always liked Morrissey's affected weirdness, always determined to be different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 02:23 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: October 25, 2013 02:25

Don't give a sh*t for his music. I agree he's a pompous ass and I think his support of animal rights extremism is particularly offensive.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 25, 2013 02:37

Posted by: Nem ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:05

Yes, Johnny's always been a big fan of 60's stones!

(cool smiley)

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:48

I've always found Morrissey to be funny as hell. And I've wondered if I'm hearing the same guy as everybody else. Can you listen to "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" and not laugh your ass off the whole length of the song? Maybe it's just me.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 25, 2013 03:56

He is a bit of pompous ass and never got the love for the Smiths.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home