Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:37

To me Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton is the best Brown Sugar studio version ever.
I think they should have put this one on Sticky Fingers. Together with Wild Horses featuring Gram Parsons

Re: Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton
Date: October 18, 2013 16:44

It's very good (mainly the vocals, imo), but not as good as the album version.

<Together with Wild Horses featuring Gram Parsons>

Which version would that be? As far as I know no version with Parsons has ever surfaced - we don't even know if there is one...

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:48

I mean this one. Gram played the steel guitar on this version

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:49

Maybe this will turn up on the forthcoming SF re-issue

Date: October 18, 2013 16:54

bart-man

I mean this one. Gram played the steel guitar on this version

Gram never played steel guitar in his life.

Rumours say it's the steel guitar player in the Burritos, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, who plays here, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 16:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 18, 2013 17:58

I remember reading somewhere once that it's mistakenly referred to as Eric Clapton by everyone and that it was actually George Harrison playing. I don't know the truth but it's interesting if it turns out it was George Harrison.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:12

The Eric Clapton Brown Sugar was done at Keith's birthday party. This is what I used to hear.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:37

The Wick
I remember reading somewhere once that it's mistakenly referred to as Eric Clapton by everyone and that it was actually George Harrison playing. I don't know the truth but it's interesting if it turns out it was George Harrison.

I thought I read a Keith's interview mentionning this in the 90's.
As I've never found back this interview and couldn't find any mention of this on the web, I thought I actually dreamed reading this...

Your post makes me now think I might really have read this somewhere spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:38

it doesn't sound much like Clapton..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:49

Brown Sugar: done December 18, 1970, Al Kooper on piano, Clapton on guitar.

The pedal steel on WH was done by Pete Kleinow and the organ by Leon Russel in LA in early 1970, in an overdub session by Denny Cordell. This was confirmed by Gram Parsons in an early 1970's interview. The link to that interview should be on this board somewhere, I posted it a few years ago.

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:57

Clapton is the man...thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2013 03:08

In the Roy Carr Illustrated Record book in 1976, there was a blurb that the Stones considered putting this version on Made in the shade. I have had this on blue vinyl since 1978, and it has always kicked ass. The vocals are better, the backing vocals of Keith are SO much better, and Clapton is fantastic.

THIS would be a perfect record-store day single backed with, what else, @#$%& Blues!!!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2013 08:44

The Wick

As I've never found back this interview and couldn't find any mention of this on the web, I thought I actually dreamed reading this...

Your post makes me now think I might really have read this somewhere spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Well of course if Keith's said this, it has to be true.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 19, 2013 14:09

I used to have it on 7'' in the mid 80's also on blue vinyl,a guy I knew at the time borrowed it and I have never had such a good version since.

Date: October 19, 2013 18:33

adotulipson
I used to have it on 7'' in the mid 80's also on blue vinyl,a guy I knew at the time borrowed it and I have never had such a good version since.

I think this is the version that is on the 'Shelley' version of Hot Rocks.

I have that and the 'coloured' vinyls...those are bootlegs, I think I have 2 or 3 of those...was yours a 12" vinyl b/w c*cksucker blues?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 19, 2013 18:34

The slide playing is the weakest part of it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 19, 2013 19:06

treaclefingers
adotulipson

I think this is the version that is on the 'Shelley' version of Hot Rocks.

I have that and the 'coloured' vinyls...those are bootlegs, I think I have 2 or 3 of those...was yours a 12" vinyl b/w c*cksucker blues?

It isn't.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 19, 2013 20:04

have it on orange 12" vinyl with the infamous blues on the b-side. but brown sugar has a mistake in the beginning.

Date: October 19, 2013 20:15

bluesinc.
have it on orange 12" vinyl with the infamous blues on the b-side. but brown sugar has a mistake in the beginning.

I have yellow, and clear vinyl versions!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2013 21:18

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 20, 2013 00:33

treaclefingers
The Wick

It definitely sounds like Clapton, right from the first slide bit you hear. It has that familiar, distorted tone he plays on, for example, Motherless Children, whereas Harrison's slide had that cleaner, vaguely Hawaiian sound that also tended to be more melodic.

Harrison jamming with The Stones? I've never heard mention of that made anywhere, ever.

Date: October 20, 2013 01:15

stonehearted
treaclefingers
The Wick

It definitely sounds like Clapton, right from the first slide bit you hear. It has that familiar, distorted tone he plays on, for example, Motherless Children, whereas Harrison's slide had that cleaner, vaguely Hawaiian sound that also tended to be more melodic.

Harrison jamming with The Stones? I've never heard mention of that made anywhere, ever.

Look, quite trying to be a trouble maker...Keith's said it's true. Clearly we're safe in the assumption it is.

Sheesh!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2013 01:56

duke richardson
it doesn't sound much like Clapton..

For me neither....sounds more like Taylor

Date: October 20, 2013 10:27

LOL, it IS Clapton smiling smiley

Date: October 20, 2013 12:36

DandelionPowderman

Better to lay the proof out.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 20, 2013 15:03

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Better to lay the proof out.

Aside from the fact that it clearly sounds like Clapton, there's numerous statements about this session from Clapton, Keys, Richards, Kooper and Bobby Whitlock.

According to Clapton he spend December 1970 in London after his touring with the Dominoes in U.S., taking the time to rest, visit friends etc. He and Whitlock met up with Keys on December 18, and were taken to Olympics where Richards was celebrating his birthday.

Mathijs

Date: October 20, 2013 15:07

I meant post such statements to prove it for those that doubt it. Merely saying there are statements by such and such doesn't mean much, post their quotes or where to find them.

It should be easy to prove if there are numerous statements about it.

smiling smiley

Clapton or not, the slide playing is pretty crap. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-20 15:10 by His Majesty.

Date: October 20, 2013 17:18

Still not convinced.....it might be true EC played on B-Sugar but not on this one............I could be wrong but maybe the Clapton version out there somewhere....

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 17:22

NICOS
Still not convinced.....it might be true EC played on B-Sugar but not on this one............I could be wrong but maybe the Clapton version out there somewhere....

What makes you think it's not Clapton?

Date: October 20, 2013 17:24

svt22
NICOS

What makes you think it's not Clapton?

Because it sound like to much like Taylor IMO

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home