Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
-
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 03:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:32 by camper88.

Re: What's The Equivalent Of Brussels Affair for Other Bands?
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 03:21

For Bowie and the Spiders it was Santa Monica Civic '72. For Springsteen it was the Roxy or Bottom Line '75. For Dylan it was "Royal Albert Hall" (actually Manchester Free Trade) '66. For the Clash it would be Lewisham Odeon '80 except there are only scattered songs released and no full soundboard in circulation.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2013 04:01

Presume Teddy you mean the Roxy 78 for Bruce. Bottom Line 15/8/75 would certainly be the one from the early years. From '78 I think the three most fans would argue over the title of 'best Bruce boot ever' would be the Roxy show (7 July), the 'Piece de Resistance' bootleg from Passaic in September and the Winterland one from 15th December. Winterland seems to be the fan favourite, from what I can see.

Santa Monica 72 is a good shout for Bowie (didnt it get an official release a while back?) although the LA Forum show (5th September 74) on the Diamond Dogs tour and the 'Thin White Duke' boot from Nassau 76 would be up there too - the latter was officially released on the 'Station to Station' reissue a couple of years back.

The Dylan RAH (Manchester) show from '66 is probably the most famous live bootleg ever (now of course released officially as Bootleg Series Vol 4)

Maybe the Clash's NY Palladium show from December 1979 would be one of their most highly regarded bootlegs? (it was broadcast on WNEW)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2013 04:07

Its Piece De Resistance for Bruce.

Date: October 18, 2013 04:08

I'd say KISS' is Alive.

I'd also say the Stones Brussels before Brussels was the Ya Yas bootleg. I forget if it was a different show from the MSG one, but I know that was a very popular bootleg.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 18, 2013 04:26

Beatles Japan (or hell, a CD or download of Hollywood Bowl)

Bruce's Roxy show is excellent.

Stoneswise, Liver Than You'll Ever Be deserves mention.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:19

For Zeppelin, I've heard fans rave about Japan... '72, I think. I've never heard it myself.

For R.E.M., I'd say Seattle '84 - it was a Westwood One show and it's fastasic. I prefer Boston '83 (at the Paradise - broadcast on WBCN). The '89 show from Florida that made another Westwood broadcast (and thus tons of boots) is pretty lousy, in my opinion.

I've got a Cheap Trick show from L.A. '77 in a club (Roxy, maybe?) which absolutely rips. Some tracks have dribbled out on box sets, etc. over the years.

Is there a consensus for a Who one? Maybe Tommy-era Tanglewood?

I suppose the Doors would be Detroit '70 (now officially released), but I'm a fan of Miami '69. I'd kill for a soundboard of MSG Jan '69, though.

As for newer bands, Nirvana finally just released the Live & Loud Seattle 12/93 show that MTV broadcast. Lots of Britpop bands released shows at the time on home video, so I suppose they didn't really give things a chance to achieve mystique. Oasis at Knebworth, maybe?

A lot of Elvis' Vegas '69 stand sat in the vaults for decades. Of course, now they've released most of it, but man... talk about someone at the top of his game. Though ultimately, I'd have to go with the Aug. '70 That's The Way It Is shows as his ultimate peak.

I've got some Booker T. & the MGs from '68 which is sh*t-hot. Not sure where it's from, though...

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:35

Dead at Cornell - 5-8-77

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:50

The Police
San Diego 1979

or

France 1980

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:56

JuanTCB
Is there a consensus for a Who one? Maybe Tommy-era Tanglewood?

Amsterdam, September 29, 1969.

Fillmore East, April 5, 1968 also comes close.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 18, 2013 07:25

Gazza

Santa Monica 72 is a good shout for Bowie (didnt it get an official release a while back?) although the LA Forum show (5th September 74) on the Diamond Dogs tour and the 'Thin White Duke' boot from Nassau 76 would be up there too - the latter was officially released on the 'Station to Station' reissue a couple of years back.

The Dylan RAH (Manchester) show from '66 is probably the most famous live bootleg ever (now of course released officially as Bootleg Series Vol 4)

Maybe the Clash's NY Palladium show from December 1979 would be one of their most highly regarded bootlegs? (it was broadcast on WNEW)

The Clash Palladium show was actually 21 Sept 79 (the cover of London Calling, which was released in Dec 1979, was taken at the end of that show). Other excellent ones of theirs include the London Lyceum shows from 12/78 and 1/79 (marred only by some out of tune guitars) and the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ 8 March 1980.

For Pink Floyd, there are the BBC broadcasts from 1970 and '71, the Boston Garden and Nassau Coliseum shows from June 75, and the 9 May 1977 Animals tour show from Oakland.

Date: October 18, 2013 07:30

ab
For Pink Floyd, there are the BBC broadcasts from 1970 and '71, the Boston Garden and Nassau Coliseum shows from June 75, and the 9 May 1977 Animals tour show from Oakland.

I feel Pink Floyd is difficult. The "best boot" would be very much based on what album you enjoy, as most of their concerts were just playing their latest two albums straight through depending on what year that was.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:10

Nice thread idea.

For Zep, okay...I'll freely admit that I prefer them loud and sloppy...which means I lean towards live '77 over 75, 73, 72 or earlier, which all of course have their sublime moments.

It's cliche, almost, but that boot from the Forum from June 21, 1977 (the Listen to this Eddie title) really does strike me as about as good as it gets for them live. But it's not really their "Brussels Affair" as it's probably a bit too sloppy, perhaps. (Kinda like some of the loud but sloppy/great '75 shows for the Stones, maybe??) But it's my favorite performance/bootleg for Zep.

For the Stones, if you put a gun to my head and made me choose one performace/bootleg above all others, I'd have no choice but to go with Brussels for overall sustained/consistent awesomeness, even though there are moments of 69, 70, 71, 72, other 73 shows, 75, 76 (yes, barely...), and even 78 that hit higher PEAKS for me than Brussels '73. Still, Brussels is *probably* my "desert island disc for a thousand years" choice for live Stones. Just as Forum June 21 1977 would probably be my pick for Zep. Does that make it their "Brussels Affair" equivalent? I suppose for me it does, although I can see how you can carve this one up in several ways and prefer other choices depending on what you are judging them on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 08:17 by rocker1.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:28

Gazza
Presume Teddy you mean the Roxy 78 for Bruce. Bottom Line 15/8/75 would certainly be the one from the early years. From '78 I think the three most fans would argue over the title of 'best Bruce boot ever' would be the Roxy show (7 July), the 'Piece de Resistance' bootleg from Passaic in September and the Winterland one from 15th December. Winterland seems to be the fan favourite, from what I can see.

No, the Palladium '79 isn't considered quite prime as a performance, despite being the show Paul Simonon smashed his bass at which was used on the cover of London calling. The Lewisham '80 is considered the Holy Grail for an official release by Clash fans. Bonds '81 is the most famous. I did mean Bruce at the Roxy '78 or Bottom Line '75. Nassau was also considered legendary Bowie, Santa Monica aside. The '74 Bowie was at the universal amphitheater, not the Forum. Agree on the Who at Fillmore East. The Young Vic was legendary before its release. San Francisco '71 is something their fans always talk about. Lots of the legendary bootlegs have eventually been released, such as Brussels.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:30

RollingFreak
ab

I feel Pink Floyd is difficult. The "best boot" would be very much based on what album you enjoy, as most of their concerts were just playing their latest two albums straight through depending on what year that was.

One of the more popular live Pink Floyd bootlegs is their Fillmore West show in San Francisco from April 29, 1970, some of which was broadcast on KQED as "An Hour with Pink Floyd".

1. Granchester Meadows
2. Astronomy Domine
3. Cymbaline
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. Embryo
6. Green Is The Colour
7. Careful Wtih That Axe Eugene
8. Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun (not complete)
9. Saucerful Of Secrets
( Encore )
10. Interstellar Overdrive

It's also notable for one of the few period performances of Atom Heart Mother.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 18, 2013 11:37

for the who it was hull

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 18, 2013 12:06

Frank Zappa has two big boxes of this kind....Beat The Boots vol 1 und 2....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 18, 2013 12:32

Hendrix and Band of Gypsys at Fillmore

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 18, 2013 12:33

terraplane
Hendrix and Band of Gypsys at Fillmore

Nah.

Date: October 18, 2013 12:42

Is this one of the "holy grails" for Crimson-fans, Phil?

It sure is good thumbs up

Date: October 18, 2013 13:13

It is, it's also the original King Crimson final gig. That Mars is @#$%& ace!

Other holy grails for KC are Hyde Park 1969 and Central Park 1974. The 1974 gig being the last gig by KC before Fripp announced Kong Crimson had "ceased to exist."

Many a goosebump moment from that. eg...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 13:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 18, 2013 14:10

His Majesty
Other holy grails for KC are Hyde Park 1969 and Central Park 1974. The 1974 gig being the last gig by KC before Fripp announced Kong Crimson had "ceased to exist."

'Kong' Crimson and New York sit well together. I can picture Fripp scaling the Empire State Building clutching a metallic logo bearing the band's name tightly to his chest as planes piloted by ex-members of the band such as Greg Lake, Ian McDonald, Michael Giles, Gordon Haskell, Boz Burell and Andy McCulloch fly in to gun him down.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 18, 2013 14:18

King Crimson

Date: October 18, 2013 14:19

His Majesty
It is, it's also the original King Crimson final gig. That Mars is @#$%& ace!

I thought so smiling smiley

Is there a full recording of HP? I've seen a little under 2 minute video footage (black and white) of 21 Century Schizoid Man, but that's all...

I'm still in the exploration phase regarding this band. I've bought the 200g vinyl releases of In The Court, Poseidon, Lizard and Red (included are good quality vinyl rip-mp3 downloads of the albums, as well as picture cards etc...

Great band!

Date: October 18, 2013 14:25

His Majesty

I much prefer KC after they joined up with the Sunshine Band. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2013 14:42

RollingFreak
I'd say KISS' is Alive.

I'd also say the Stones Brussels before Brussels was the Ya Yas bootleg. I forget if it was a different show from the MSG one, but I know that was a very popular bootleg.

Live R Than you'll Ever Be - from Oakland 9 November 1969.

'Brussels affair' didnt exist under that title until the CD era as far as I recall. And for many years it was widely bootlegged as coming from Munich. Live R Than You'll Ever Be was certainly the most well known , best selling and iconic Stones live bootleg in the vinyl era (and probably still is)

Date: October 18, 2013 14:45

The Who - The Spectrum, Philadelphia 1973 the King Biscuit Hour show otherwise known as Decidely Belated Response. You can now find the whole show minus a couple of songs. It's their Quadrophenia tour.

Pink Floyd - Amsterdam 69 - The Man & The Journey. Amazing radio broadcast of fantastic mid-period Floyd playing somgs from Umma Gumma, More and other curios.

Patti Smith - Teenage Perversity & Ships In The Night. Fantastic early gig from New York.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Room Full Of Hendrix. DVD from Royal Albert Hall 69 show. Cut with great backstage footage.

Led Zeppelin - Pacific Colisseum Vancouver 75. Amazing show from the 1975 US tour. It's a soundboard recording that only recently came out.

Led Zeppelin - Fillmore West 69. One of the best gigs the band ever did. Incredible versions of material from the first 2 albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 14:53 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 18, 2013 14:51

....um...um....ya'd reckon this'd be easy.....equivalent?....um...um...ummm

ROCKMAN

Date: October 18, 2013 15:28

DandelionPowderman

Is there a full recording of HP? I've seen a little under 2 minute video footage (black and white) of 21 Century Schizoid Man, but that's all...

There is, an audience recording of their set was officially released as part of the King Crimson Collectors Club. A small part of the missing intro to Get Thy Bearkings had to patched up by similar part from later in the song though.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It was also included on the 40th anniversary In The Court box set.

Date: October 18, 2013 15:32

Thanks! thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home