Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Bob Dylan Europe 2013
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 17, 2013 16:35

Just got me a ticket for Düsseldorf. Can anybody who has seen one of the scandinavian concerts tell me if Dylan started at eight o'clock or if he was retarded? I need to book a train home.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 17, 2013 16:42

windmelody
Just got me a ticket for Düsseldorf. Can anybody who has seen one of the scandinavian concerts tell me if Dylan started at eight o'clock or if he was retarded? quote]

Brilliant...

Aren't words and language a wonderful thing !grinning smiley

Date: October 17, 2013 16:48

Spud
windmelody
Just got me a ticket for Düsseldorf. Can anybody who has seen one of the scandinavian concerts tell me if Dylan started at eight o'clock or if he was retarded? quote]

Brilliant...

Sorry, English is obviously not my mother tongue. Is is it correct to ask if he started later (or in teard)?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 17, 2013 17:07

I read that as a Freudian slip...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 17, 2013 17:30

windmelody
Spud
windmelody

Brilliant...

Sorry, English is obviously not my mother tongue. Is is it correct to ask if he started later (or in teard)?

Don't apologise for making us smile .

"started later" would be fine or perhaps "delayed" was the word you were looking for. smiling smiley

You can be sure that next time I'm late for work I'll tell my boss I was retarded.
I think he'll take that as a very honest and truthful explanation !

[To be fair, retarded in it's original meaning is quite correct.]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 17:47 by Spud.

Posted by: AP ()
Date: October 17, 2013 17:34

windmelody
Just got me a ticket for Düsseldorf. Can anybody who has seen one of the scandinavian concerts tell me if Dylan started at eight o'clock or if he was retarded? I need to book a train home.

Sunday concert started shortly after 7:30PM. Note there's ~20 min intermission so expect the concert to last about 2 hours at least.

Date: October 17, 2013 18:03

Thankyou Spud and AP.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 17, 2013 18:25

windmelody

The 'Retarded Tour of Europe' took place in 1991.

Most people though just assumed he was plastered.

He's been mostly compos mentis since the mid 90s.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 17, 2013 20:37

Gazza
windmelody

The 'Retarded Tour of Europe' took place in 1991.

Most people though just assumed he was plastered.

He's been mostly compos mentis since the mid 90s.

1991 was horrible. How disappointed Londoners must have been to see the 1991 Hammersmith residency was far below the standard of the previous year's residency. I saw 12 shows in July. Most of them were horrible. One was exceptional however - Doswell VA on July 21st. I assume Bob was sober that night. People may complain about Bob these days but it isn't because he is drunk.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 17, 2013 23:03

TE
michaelsavage
Sometimes his set list does not matter as nearly EVERY song...
1. either sounds pretty much the same or
2. is so mashed up that is takes about 3 minutes into any one song before you can figure out which song it is.

is that still the case?
On Thursday, 'Tangled up in blue' and 'It's alright ma' was part of that game Gazza mentioned (Name that tune), for me at least. 'Blowin' in the wind' as well. Loved them all.
Have fun tonight Stockholm.

TE
Oslo

Someone would have to pay ME to listen to this...well, the version of "Blowin'" in particular can't be meant serious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 04:14 by alimente.

Date: October 23, 2013 11:02

Düsseldorf was truly fantastic. Somehow his voice rcovered. Dylan and his band are not doing set list changes at the moment. The effect is that the playing was very clean and structured. On the past tours at times the band sounded great, but everything was very loose. On songs like High Water and Early Roman Kings I even missed a little bit of chaos, but on the other hand the musicians sounded incredibly fresh. Pay in blood came in an overwhelming arrangement.

PS: He was neither delayed nor retarded.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 23, 2013 11:21

windmelody
PS: He was neither delayed nor retarded.

Thanks smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 27, 2013 17:55

Could somebody tell me a site where I can download recordings from the current tour?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 27, 2013 18:11

I love that guy, no matter how retarded he may be. He'll never be an artist who just spews his greatest hits by rote over and over and over just to please a fickle crowd and make bigger bucks. He makes his old songs continue to grow, instead of them being stuck in the time it came from. I saw him play 'Blowin' In The Wind' at concert soon after 9/11. The way he delivered it made it seem right then, right now, this song means something now, not 1963.

He is obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but somehow he endlessly tours the world, still drawing thousands upon thousand every night. Many of the uninitiated walk away, shaking their heads, unaware that they heard the very songs they were hoping to sing along too and recreate a long ago feeling. He's a hell of an artist.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 28, 2013 19:31

24FPS
I love that guy, no matter how retarded he may be. He'll never be an artist who just spews his greatest hits by rote over and over and over just to please a fickle crowd and make bigger bucks. He makes his old songs continue to grow, instead of them being stuck in the time it came from. I saw him play 'Blowin' In The Wind' at concert soon after 9/11. The way he delivered it made it seem right then, right now, this song means something now, not 1963.

He is obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but somehow he endlessly tours the world, still drawing thousands upon thousand every night. Many of the uninitiated walk away, shaking their heads, unaware that they heard the very songs they were hoping to sing along too and recreate a long ago feeling. He's a hell of an artist.

I don't doubt for a second that Dylan is a great artist. He was always re-arranging his songs on stage,and I remember well that a lot of (even by then!) "older" Dylan freaks didn't like the 1978 stage versions - just one example (for me, the 1978 tour is one of the best he'd ever done, along with 1966, 1976/76, 1980/1981 and, to a slightly lesser degree,1974 and 1984.

However, new arrangements or new vocal melodies or phrasings don't always work, and of course it's all a matter of personal taste, but that's why I said "someone would have to pay ME to listen to this...", referring to this version of "Blowin' In The Wind". It's my personal taste, it's my personal opinion. I know what I like, and I know what I don't like.

It's not that we have to applaud each and every move of our favourite artists. Somehow, amongst Dylan super fans, there was always this tendency towards arrogance that when one doesn't agree with each and every note Dylan performs, one simply isn't intellectually able to "get it", to "get" the greatness of his artistry. Bullshit, I dare to say! A performance touches you or it doesn't touch you. That's all there is and that's all what counts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-28 19:34 by alimente.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 28, 2013 19:41

Well put, Alimente. For some Dylan can't do anything wrong. Which, of course, he can. Some even tends to worship him like a Jesus figure. Which is close to insanity...

Date: October 28, 2013 20:02

Stoneage
Well put, Alimente. For some Dylan can't do anything wrong. Which, of course, he can. Some even tends to worship him like a Jesus figure. Which is close to insanity...

I never worshipped Dylan like a Jesus figure and never insulted somebody who does not like Dylan. What a tolerant and open minded man I am! Would you now please name a site where I can download recordings from the current tour?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 28, 2013 20:22

windmelody
Would you now please name a site where I can download recordings from the current tour?

Düsseldorf:
[soundcloud.com]

Date: October 28, 2013 20:37

Thankyou Erik!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:40

Stoneage

Dylan himself was frightened by that kind of idolatry and he fled from it. I only idolize him as an artistic figure. I don't know shit about the real Richard Zimmerman. Maybe there isn't one. He made some real clunkers in the 70s and 80s, but I like the way he kept at it and reached a new artistic plateau.

It's unfair to compare him to the Stones because I truly don't think what remains of the Stones is in it for the art. Which is fine for a certain kind of audience. Then again when I saw Brian Wilson the other night I sure as hell didn't want 'Help Me Rhonda' done any different than what I remembered. Maybe Dylan's work lends itself to experimentation. Or maybe it just works for him.

Date: November 6, 2013 23:39

Apparently Dylan played a completely new setlist in Rome tonight, Dylan fans ought to check out expectingrain. Should we believe these tweets? It might all turn out to be a joke. If the setlist change is realy true I am glad to have attended a concert with lots of Tempest songs.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 13, 2013 00:36

I was about to put this to Lou Reed thread, since somehow the beautiful tributes there makes one even more sensitive to appreciate those artists who are still writing fascinating new chapters to their book - there aren't many of them left from the glory days when the music they made changed if not the world, but at least our minds, and made the world more meaningful place to live in.

This is a song from TEMPEST and shit, without one hesitation I would place it to the canon of big Dylan songs, an instant classic. The way he interpets it here -just a few weeks ago in Copenhagen - moves me I could not have believed after all these long and wasted years... if you have a chance, check that guy out if he comes near you.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 00:40 by Doxa.

OT, Bob Dylan at Royal Albert Hall 2013
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: November 27, 2013 10:48

Re: OT, Bob Dylan at Royal Albert Hall 2013
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 28, 2013 13:36

Visitors were told no pics or videos but I am sure there will be some.

If you like the late Dylan stuff, it was a great concert, with terrific musicians and fantastic sound (at least were I was in the middle of row 16) and, finally (!!!) no electric keyboard for the maestro, this time he was on grand piano. And very enthusiastic audience.

If, however, you find the recent Dylan's output not too appealing (my case) and if you are not mad about his keyboard skills, then the sound quality and his amazing band were just not enough...

Date: November 28, 2013 13:48

Martin, I get your point. It would be helpful if Dylan would practise on the Piano a little. But since I especially love Dylan's late works the setlist on the european tour was a dream come true for me.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2013 14:32

Nobody seems to regret Duke Robillard who was fired unceremoniously this Spring after a handful of gigs... >grinning smiley<

Date: November 28, 2013 14:49

Robillard and Dylan seemed to have a problem with each other, we do not know if Robillard left or if he was fired. I enjoy Charlie Sexton's playing, but I hope Robillard has gotten over that episode.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2013 14:54

I went last night too, with Icelandic IORR member Steini, and thought it was great. I think the Stones can learn a lot from Dylan's artistic merit in not wanting to play a greatest hits set and unleash the considerable war horses in his catalogue.

The presentation had a real low key affair about it - low lighting and no frills. I must admit that my recent Dylan concert experiences had brought mixed reactions annd I was slightly fearing that his gravelly voice would be hard to enjoy in such a relatively intimate setting.

Amazingly his voice sounded better than it does on record these days and I think that being on the road has helped hone it into shape. Singers also have to practice as much as musicians.

There were only a handful of songs from the 60s last night (Wednesday) - She Belongs To Me, All Along The Watchtower, and Blowin' In The Wind. And two from the 70s - a stunning version of Tangled Up In Blue and Simple Twist Of Fate.

At times Bob came across like an old testament preacher, especially when he left the piano to just sing, centre stage at the microphone.

I wondered what was going through his head and if memories came flooding back to those two historic shows he gave there in 66 when The Beatles, Stones and the rest of London's pop glitterati were there to worship at the alter of St. Bob.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 28, 2013 17:00

I've found some pictures on Twitter.

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 28, 2013 17:37

my brother in law went to his Amsterdam show. It was embarrassing, not good singing, no communication

all in all, a waste of money.

Jeroen

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home