Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A serious MT vibrato question to OpenG
Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:11

As everybody else I love Mick Taylor's vibrato. It's unique, personal and easy recognizable. But is his vibrato still there the way it used to be? I've seen one recent consert with him, backed by Wentus Blues Band. To be honest, I was disappointed. I didn't once hear THE vibrato, neither with slide nor without. What do you think, is THE vibrato still there or has he lost a bit of it?

Re: A serious MT vibrato question to OpenG
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:14

You saw the gig in Finland recently where my legions of Nordic Stones Vikings attended?
I heard it was so-so. But let me tell you, his gig in december in Gislaved, Sweden, was something else, totally excellent. We also saw him the day before in Stockholm, that was pretty good also. But when he saw that we travelled to Gislaved, he smiled and played his butt off!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:19

Bars - give us a little more detail as to what you saw.

as Jaggeroo mentioned above, it's sometimes a 50 - 50 shot with Mick

the nights he's "on" can be special, other times not so..

how did he look? dis-interested? did he look & act like he wanted to play?
was he adjusting his amp alot? he is a perfectionist about what sound is coming
out and get's pissed sometimes. Let us know - thanks MLC

Date: April 28, 2005 21:24

Well, perhaps "recent" was the wrong word. The concert was last easter in Åbo actually, so it should have been a concert "at this stage of his career". The venue was too big and the audience sucked, no wonder he was uninspired. But could uninspiredness affect the vibrato?

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:25

wayne Perkins

Date: April 28, 2005 22:28

He looked good, played well, didn't adjust his amp so much. I'm not trying to say it was a bad performance, it was very enjoyable but not blistering. But his trademark sound and vibrato simply seemed to be lacking. In other words he didn't sound as expected. Even though he's got a bad night one should think his vibrato would be "normal" since it's probably highly automatized. What about Mr. Perkins?

Posted by: Stranger ()
Date: April 28, 2005 23:05

Bärs, last Easter would have been somewhere between March 25th and 28th, wouldn't it. In the Western world (non Orthodox) anyway.
And Åbo is a place in Finland, right? I believe (no pun) the main religion in Finland is Protestant. But there is supposed to be a small group of Greek Orthodox people living there too. And they will celebrate Easter on May 1st this year.

According to my sources, MT was not in Finland last Easter. And he was not in Finland around Easter the previous year (2004) either. If you go by a normal calendar anyway.
So I'm left wondering who it was that you saw (unless you're Greek Orthodox). Could it have been a Taylor impersonator who can't play a decent vibrato yet - chances are they will never master it...

Date: April 28, 2005 23:24

Last easter was meant to mean easter 2004, but now my girlfriend corrects it to be easter 2003. To be more precise it was on good friday. So how's that according to your sources?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 28, 2005 23:27

MT played with Wentus in Finland in April 2003.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 28, 2005 23:41

Strange dilemma... Shall we trust peoples memories & believe they know what they have seen... ? Its polite. But here we see that sometimes people dont remember. I will always remember I say Thin Lizzy "farewell tour" (yep, they did some of those*) at Walpurgis night in 1983. Exactly 22 years ago back from Saturday. Should probably not have been remembering it if it wasnt for a lot of other things that happened (e.g. I entered a rock stage as a singer myself the very next day). But of course, the concert was something to remember (R.I.P. Phil Lynott!)

* What you see now aint Lizzy, is John Fraud Sykes with friends. An insultment to all intelligent life in universe.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 29, 2005 13:12

Watch the Mayall 70's DVD and watch Taylor on his songs and then compare his
perfromance to Eric Clapton and Bud Wittington - Vibrato is clearly dominant
and Eric had to walk on stage after Taylor and try to pick up where Taylor
left off.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 29, 2005 13:44

Ah, but that was in the 70's.....so does this mean that the fabbled MT can have the 'bad day at the office' as other musicians often critised on this site????

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 29, 2005 14:07

Mayall 70 birthday DVD that came out last year Taylor was 54 years old and
Taylor and Clapton walk off stage together.

Clapton said in an interview once that Taylor's playing was frighting.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 29, 2005 14:25

"Taylor's playing was frighting"... bought the same then as the MT mafia....

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 29, 2005 19:16

ablett - since you don't like Taylor, why are you responding???

go write about how great the stones sound now on one of the other columns..

MLC

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 29, 2005 20:32

MCDDTLC,

He may very well like Taylor. He may very well not like, (but tolerate in a very humourous manner), constant reference to ........

Oh, and what does Mick Taylor have on the end of his feet?

Ans. Vibra-toes.

Posted by: robert_stones1 ()
Date: April 30, 2005 06:37

Why would anyone ENCOURAGE OpenG to rave on and on about Mick T??? I love Mick T but this dude has a strange preoccupation with him.

I agree that the Stones were at their best when he was there, but he VOLUNTARILY moved on and so did they and quite well, thank you with Ronnie...get over it OpenG.....enough's enough...get over it man!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home