Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CYHMK
Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:06

Spanish influence? Sounds like it...

Re: CYHMK
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:10

not to me... blues... starts off rock, thanks to keith, then get into the mick taylor and bobby keys jam... blues/jazz sound... great, great track!

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:21

Its the Stones trying to be Santana in the solo part.

Date: April 30, 2005 21:26

I can imagine dancing Flamenco to it....listen to the drumming too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-30 22:03 by Miss U..

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 30, 2005 21:40

That intro is nothing but 'acid' fueled Chuck Berry ala Keith, the only man that can really do that in the world. The jam part is jazz, I'm not sure what influence, John Coltrane?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 1, 2005 08:40

The whole Santana thing is always such a quick shallow assessment that is being thrown around too quickly. Taylor uses that great sound on the Les Paul on his solo that reminds people of a sound that CS may have used in the 70's (eg Samba Pa Ti or Black magic Woman) but that is where the similarities end. The percussion ensemble is more a tribal groove. Not very Spanish IMO. Bobby keys on the sax comes in totally Stax and Blues vibe. And Charlie's drumming is anything but "Flamenco". Give me a break! Flamenco??? That drumming is vintage Charlie Watts and no one else. It's one of the best passages of recorded Charlie Watts in existence. He turns the snare off and gets most of his drive from only the Ride cym,bal. This is how great CW is. Drummers think that in order to really convey power and movement they must play a lot, loud and on many drums. And witha fixed groove. But CW is total free form here. Rimshots clicking, odd rolls and that damn ride cymbal. Best part is at the end when he shifts onto the bell of the cymbal.

Date: May 1, 2005 09:53

Nice post Chelsea

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 1, 2005 11:08

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Taylor uses that great sound on the Les
> Paul on his solo

Taylor used the Ebony Gibson ES-355 for the solo.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 1, 2005 13:38

Snore...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 1, 2005 14:26

Anyone has the chords played just before and during the solo?

thanks,

- Koen.

Date: May 1, 2005 15:45

it appears to be D-C-G-D-C; C-D-Db-D-G-D-Db-C; G-F-C; Dm7 (?) and a variation of that (2nd string) to start the jam, then it gets rather complicated, lots of variations; flat this, sharp that, kind of chords, most off the D7 I think. I can play them by ear, but, to tell you what they are, forget it! I'm sure someone on here can tell you. Wow, and people think that all The Stones can do is play three chords, think again. (feels good to have my guitar in my hands, thanks!) And what a GREAT song!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-01 15:59 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: May 1, 2005 15:49

I think Taylor has attributed the inspiration for the solo to Larry Coryell.

Also, Taylor was getting pretty much the same tone and sound back in '67 when he first appeared on an album, probably before Santana's first appearance on an album.

Thanks for the info on the guitar Mathijs. Is this the same guitar that Keith used for GS and MR? I think MT used the same model with Jack Bruce.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 1, 2005 16:18

Great analysis ChelseaDrugstore!
Anyone else here hear, when those dreamy guitar chords come along, the connection with that similar chord set Zappa plays (in 6/8 but with a similar feel) during the original studio version of King Kong (1969), around the middle of Bunk Gardner's processed soprano sax solo? I don't know if MT was listening to that kind of stuff. Or maybe this comes from something else that both Zappa and MT got influenced by...

Date: May 1, 2005 16:26

God what is it! People alway's thinking that the Stones, (MT), were getting ideas from Santana and now Zappa? I seriously doubt it. Larry Coryell is much more likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-01 16:34 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 1, 2005 16:34

Well there is no doubt to me that the Stones, as lots of other biggies did, >were< influenced by Zappa, at least during the Sixties, let's say conceptually (listen to "On With The Show" vs. "America Drinks and Goes Home", as well as some other novelty stuff from the Button era). It is documented that Jagger visited Zappa at his home at least once in the 60s for some long "European history" chats and stuff... And to think that Taylor, who apparently emancipated the group so much (according to Watts), was into modern jazz enough to have been possibly influenced by stuff by the Mothers of Invention is no fantastic stretch of the imagination to me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 1, 2005 17:38

RankOutsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it appears to be D-C-G-D-C; C-D-Db-D-G-D-Db-C;
> G-F-C; Dm7 (?) and a variation of that (2nd
> string) to start the jam, then it gets rather
> complicated, lots of variations; flat this, sharp
> that, kind of chords, most off the D7 I think. I
> can play them by ear, but, to tell you what they
> are, forget it!

Thanks - I will have a try. I assume it is in open G, at least the intro riff is in open G. The difficult part will probably be to to find the right positions.

cheers,

- Koen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-01 17:39 by Koen.

Date: May 1, 2005 20:41

Keiths part might be in openG but the 'chords' that are being played in the back ground, (which are what I put in the post), are standard tuning. Listen with headphones to hear the other part, it comes in right after Mick starts singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-01 20:42 by RankOutsider.

Date: May 1, 2005 21:13

Thanks for the information, Chelsea....I'll dismiss the delivery...there is nothing wrong with Latin or Flamenco...it was actually a complement to the percussion & general vibe of the song. Not sure why you perceive that as an insult to CW, or to MT for that matter. "Ain't no capital crime".
Thanks too Smokey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-01 22:01 by Miss U..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 2, 2005 11:09

For the jam, Keith plays a Dm and an Em7, played in open tuning. Taylor plays variations on the Dm chord at the 10th fret, adding a B, C and G to the minor chord.

Mathijs

Date: May 2, 2005 15:58

I would like to see Flamenco dancers perform to CYHMK.
I think some of the best stones songs--- Sympathy (Brazilian rhythm), Continental Drift (Jajouka), Sweethearts Together (Cajun), Hot Stuff (Reggae) have incorporated a rhythm from another culture. It's rumoured Midnight Rambler was originally intended to use Jajouka drumming, but they decided not to do it.
If you listen to Charlie Watts/Jim Keltner project, you can hear Charlie use many diff drumming styles, and hear the African percussion on "Elvin Suite".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-02 20:52 by Miss U..

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 2, 2005 17:26

Flamenco and CYHMK????????????

Flamenco influences on CYHMK are about the same as innuit influences on Brown Sugar...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: May 2, 2005 23:05

Flamenco influences on CYHMK are about the same as innuit influences on Brown Sugar...

LOL

Date: May 3, 2005 00:18

Inuit, hmmm.....Never say never.....LOL

[img.photobucket.com]

and

[img.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-03 00:26 by Miss U..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home