Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 50 & Counting - Final thoughts?
Posted by: Lectriceye ()
Date: October 1, 2013 17:46

1 Yes! It was amazing and they played a lot more songs than I expected them to, from far away they looked like they were in their 30-40's it was only until the close up shots on the screen that you realize that these guys aren't so young anymore.

2 Definitely! I got the lottery tickets but I was willing to pay (a little) more if need be. Although I would have been a little miffed if I had paid $300 for nosebleed seats. I was in the very last row as it was, but honestly I was excited to just be in the same room.

3 It was great! They played a good mix, and I liked the whole vote on a song thing.

4 I will i'm sure but it's not the best they've ever done. I'll listen to it when I feel like re-living the moment though.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 1, 2013 17:48

- Did the performances meet your expectations?
Yes, but I had realistic (i.e. muted) expectations.
Plus from the PPV I knew what the deal was going in.

- Was it worth the price you paid for your seats?

I still would have liked to have paid less, but $400 for two shows was reasonable enough for me.

- Are you happy/disappointed with the setlists/performance?

I did find at the second show I went to, I couldn't quite get into the "greatest hits" run as much as the first show, and ER both nights was a bust for me as I don't find that song all that great. On the other hand, I got CYHMK with Mick Taylor on night 2 so I'll go with happy.

- Will you listen to bootlegs from this tour as much as previous tours?

Mmmmm, no. I may hit Youtube up for a clip once in a while but that's about it.
However I thought the recording of Philly 2 was really good, to whomever did that---congatulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 17:49 by andrewt.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:05

Yes I was very pleased with the performances in general, especially Keef, considering these guys are pushing 70+ yrs old. The performances were consistently well played but there were some trainwreck performances of certain songs like "IORR" and some of the "Gimme Shelter" performances were cringe worthy IMHO.

I have seen every tour since 1975 but have to admit if I had not scored $85 tickets for the 2 Boston shows I would not have gone to a show this tour. Ticket prices were obscene IMHO and it dissapointed me to see the Stones not consider the fans and keep the prices more reasonable and then have the balls to joke about it in the press and at some of the shows.

Setlists were pretty much what I expected and the two Boston shows I went to were very good IMHO but have to say after listening to a number of bootlegs of other shows it pained me to hear some of the trainwreck performances of my favorite Stones song "Gimme Shelter".

Yes, I listen to the Pro recorded shows, like the 2-O2 shows, Newark PPV and Glastonbury, often. Also have those shows on DVD and watch them often.
I have 40-50 bootlegs and official videos of the boys and Glastonbury is one of my favorites, just a fantastic performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 21:51 by oldschool.

Posted by: Caliblues ()
Date: October 1, 2013 18:53

YES - Newark I, Philly I & Philly II

YES - $1,051 not counting PPV fee

HAPPY - All 3 far exceeded my expectations which are always high for The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band as am I

YES - Have watched some on YouTube. Glastonbury stands out! Would love a quality Philly II boot!! As well as Newark & Philly I.

God Bless The Rolling Stones! MSG Grand Finale would be nice!

Date: October 1, 2013 19:16

Final thoughts? Turn out the lights, the party's over?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 2, 2013 03:08

Why final thoughts. The Stones are still together. 50 and counting.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2013 14:43

The print won't change.

Unfortunately, neither will that horrible monkey on that horribly titled hits compilation.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:12

yes and no: O2 second show last november was outstanding; hyde park 1 disappointing
no, it was too expensive
see answer no.1
listening to the shows I've been and watched PPV US show

m.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 13:04

They played much better than I expected (feared) and the sense of joy at the shows was palpable. Short and sweet!

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: October 10, 2013 14:51

Philly # 2 complete show on DVD is in my possesion! Great keepsake from being in the front row. I got it off someone online who posted youtube vids of Philly 2.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 10, 2013 15:25

Philly 2 was a great concert!!!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 10, 2013 15:59

Hard to place a cost/benefit value on a concert for me. After 6 shows on this tour, (5 in the tongue pit) and a trip to London, I've only recently paid off the credit card used to finance the adventure.

The shows themselves were performed very well. I would've preferred more diversity in the set lists, but I did get to see some great guest performances (Clapton was among them) and managed to catch a show that featured CYHMK. (I shot some great videos too that will forever keep my memories vivid.)

Memories that will last a lifetime. The vacation to London for the O2 shows was just an amazing trip for my wife and I. The concert there (with the pre- and after party packages we purchased) we're top shelf all the way. I met some of the greatest people there and at the other shows I attended on the tour.

For me, years from now, I won't remember how much I paid for this adventure (I'll remember it was A LOT though) so for this reason, I feel the memories created far outweigh the cash laid out.

I will listen to live releases from the tour, but probably not as much as the "classic era" live releases. Their product nowadays is too polished for my preference, but it still the Stones. (as long as Mick, Keith and Charlie are there, it's the Stones in my book)

Not sure I answered all of your questions or in the proper order, but I was highly satisfied with the tour. We waited a loooooong time for a Stones fix, and I fear we are very near or have already come to the endo of the line. A year ago, I was waiting with excited anticipation of things to come, now it is all past with nothing Stones related on the foreseeable horizon.

I've always dreaded the day the Stones become past-tense but I fear we may be upon that time.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 16:06

Yes, because I felt things were really coming apart near the end of Bang and I had very low expectations. Keith wasn't nearly as good as he was on Licks but he was still a lot more focused than he was on the later legs of Bang. I also liked the fact that Jagger wasn't over-singing and he seemed a bit more stationary, crooning at the mic circa '69/'72.

Yes, only because I was able to score $85 for all three Chicago shows. Ended up in lower level for C1, got pit for C2, and self upgraded with no issues to lower level for C3. If you could pull off $85 tickets and live in the city of Chicago you really lucked out on this tour that's for sure.

Sure if you compare the setlists to Licks tour you're going to be pissed. Compare them to any other tour and they were fine. Yeah i'd like more rarities but even changing out the hits would be nice --- where was "Under My Thumb" or "Let's Spend the Night Together"?

I've downloaded several shows but the ones I find myself listening to the most are Philly 2, Boston 1, and Chicago 2. For me, these were the strongest shows performance-wise of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-10 16:08 by mnewman505.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 10, 2013 16:56

OK Drake, I'll play along...

- Did the performances meet your expectations? - The performances far exceeded my expectations, especially in Las Vegas. I had prepared myself for a letdown and was completely blown away!

- Was it worth the price you paid for your seats? HELL YES! I got extremely lucky with $85 tickets to three different shows: Vegas, Chicago #2 and Chicago #3.

- Are you happy/disappointed with the setlists/performance? Loved the setlists and Midnight Rambler was @#$%& fantastic. Really enjoyed the choir each night too. I don't have a major problem with the warhorse-run...it's what the majority of the building pays to hear after all, so the vibe is always electric!

- Will you listen to bootlegs from this tour as much as previous tours? Confession alert: I'm really not much of a bootleg-guy but the memories will live on in my Rock N' Roll brain!

Posted by: varv ()
Date: October 10, 2013 19:08

When are they coming back to the U.S. and finish the tour?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 20:47

In June the floundering LA Dodgers brought up a 22 year old Cuban named Yasiel Puig. From then on the team went on an incredible winning streak that took it into the baseball playoffs. Baseball is a game of statistics and Puig's contribution can be measured in terms of batting average, home runs, runs batted in, put outs, etc. But his REAL contribution to the team cannot be measured. He inspired his team mates with a youthful, cocky, crazy arrogance that helped produce wins, but also made you shake your head when his efforts backfired with a bang.

My final thought about the tour concerns Taylor's contribution. It too can be measured when you talk about what he played, how he played it, how long he played, the notes hit or missed, the tone, what worked, what didn't. But I think this tour demonstrated what many of us think is Taylor's REAL contribution to the band. When he is on stage, for better or worse, something is different up there. It feels live, it feels dangerous, perhaps even chaotic, but it is exciting because he is willing to take some chances. You feel music is being created rather then merely performed. You listened to rather than merely feeling the music. I think he inspired the band and brought it to the moment. You cannot quantify that, it is difficult to explain, but there it was. It is what I have been missing and trying to explain for years.

Date: October 10, 2013 21:16

I will never get over the conclusion of Glastonbury when the Stones with Mick Taylor took their final bows. Gives me goosebumps each and every time I view it. When I envisioned them going out in a blaze of glory this is exactly the way I saw it. It was a dream come true.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: October 10, 2013 21:57

pmk251
In June the floundering LA Dodgers brought up a 22 year old Cuban named Yasiel Puig. From then on the team went on an incredible winning streak that took it into the baseball playoffs. Baseball is a game of statistics and Puig's contribution can be measured in terms of batting average, home runs, runs batted in, put outs, etc. But his REAL contribution to the team cannot be measured. He inspired his team mates with a youthful, cocky, crazy arrogance that helped produce wins, but also made you shake your head when his efforts backfired with a bang.

My final thought about the tour concerns Taylor's contribution. It too can be measured when you talk about what he played, how he played it, how long he played, the notes hit or missed, the tone, what worked, what didn't. But I think this tour demonstrated what many of us think is Taylor's REAL contribution to the band. When he is on stage, for better or worse, something is different up there. It feels live, it feels dangerous, perhaps even chaotic, but it is exciting because he is willing to take some chances. You feel music is being created rather then merely performed. You listened to rather than merely feeling the music. I think he inspired the band and brought it to the moment. You cannot quantify that, it is difficult to explain, but there it was. It is what I have been missing and trying to explain for years.

Exactly thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 10, 2013 22:01

I saw the Boston (2) Show. It was the best performance I've ever seen. The setlist was second to none. They were simply on fire that night.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2013 22:12

pmk251

My final thought about the tour concerns Taylor's contribution. It too can be measured when you talk about what he played, how he played it, how long he played, the notes hit or missed, the tone, what worked, what didn't. But I think this tour demonstrated what many of us think is Taylor's REAL contribution to the band. When he is on stage, for better or worse, something is different up there. It feels live, it feels dangerous, perhaps even chaotic, but it is exciting because he is willing to take some chances. You listened to rather than merely feeling the music. I think he inspired the band and brought it to the moment. You cannot quantify that, it is difficult to explain, but there it was. It is what I have been missing and trying to explain for years.

Very, very well put! The following sentence especially puts in words the many complex ideas and feelings I have had of Taylor's contribution: You feel music is being created rather then merely performed. thumbs up

Actually that idea of 'not performing, but creating' has come to mind when I have seen him playing with other people as well (but with the recent Stones, it really stands out). It's like he always puts himself in 'danger', trusting the very moment he is on, and just let it go, by his natural instinct and taste (and of course, skills). The old Hendrixian cliche 'he don't never play the same thing twice' is true with him. Even though not having the fluidity he used to have, but it doesn't matter. It is fascinating to see such a genuine spontaneus player. Even in worst nights that's more interesting to follow than any safe and sure, no risky taken, nor mistakes made, routine playing.

- Doxa

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 10, 2013 22:21

MR - Boston (2)

Glastonbury v Hyde Park.......or any other 'best' gig on latest tour.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 15, 2013 23:51

My opinion on seeing all the gigs on youtube or TV, was that Glastonbury stood out for me.
Gotta say that not having been to any of the gigs,but it just seems that way.

Only seen the BBC show Hyde Park on Saturday just lately , but Glasto had everything.
Hyde Park was a BBC hour and 15 mins taster.

Fans who were there,probably thought they were great gigs,which they were.
Just the intro to 'Start me Up' , and a whole lotta other songs were not as they sounded on the day.
Glasto was to me, that's how it really was.
Only looking at this as an observer of TV, youtube,and not actually seeing any of these gigs live. smoking smiley

Re: Glastonbury v Hyde Park.......or any other 'best' gig on latest tour.
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 15, 2013 23:53

...and now we wait for JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 16, 2013 11:27

Out of the 11 shows we saw from November 25th 2012 to July 13th 2013 the most outstanding:
Philadelphia 2
Anaheim 2
London 2

The one we missed but would have liked to see: LA 2 (Mick Taylor's Night)

Date: October 16, 2013 11:35

Yes,looking back I do remember seeing the reviews and youtube clips of LA2.
That definately sounded like an outstanding gig. winking smiley

Date: October 16, 2013 11:46

Of the complete shows I've seen so far, included Glastonbury, I will still hold the first O2-gig as the best one. It was amazing!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:10

Of the 5 shows I attended - 02 1st show, 02 2nd show, Glastonbury, Hyde Park 1st show, Hyde Park 2nd show - Glastonbury wins hands down.

If a Stones' set starts with Jumping Jack Flash you truly know you're onto a winner. I loved hearing 2000 Light years From Home - however unrehearsed it was and Glastonbury Girl - well, it's already legendary, isn't it. That gig had fire, passion, tension created by the apprehension of not playing to their own audience. It was just tremendous to experience.

And please Rolling Stones - bring it out on DVD/Blu Ray.

Date: October 16, 2013 12:56

I've got the whole Glasto gig on a DVD thanks to a very helpful guy here on IORR.
The sound and video quality is superb.
Only saw bits of the complete show before it got pulled off youtube, but that is the show for me.
Obviously all the gigs were great for all the fans that went to them,and in my opinion ,a memorable tour for so many reasons. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2013 13:41

glasto should be getting the OFFICAL release . much better show and setlist then hyde park . plus you get taylor on three songs (killer cyhmk).

Posted by: rocknroller ()
Date: October 16, 2013 16:11

saw 12-12-15. amazing show and was blown away.

we could use a better official souvenier woith some guests.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home