Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
50 & Counting - Final thoughts?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 30, 2013 22:13

In light of all the OT posts and lack of Stones news, I thought it might be fun to hear everyone's thoughts on the US/UK leg of this tour...

- Did the performances meet your expectations?
- Was it worth the price you paid for your seats?
- Are you happy/disappointed with the setlists/performance?
- Will you listen to bootlegs from this tour as much as previous tours?

For my part I really enjoyed the two shows I got to see in Chicago, but the vibe was very different than previous tours. On ABB the performances were less consistent but every single gig felt like a giant party. This time it felt like the audience had higher expectations due to the prices they were paying. IE: I'm paying 3x more than normal, so they better perform at 3x the level.

I am incredibly proud of the Stones for their performances on this tour. They really focused on playing... I only wish they had taken more chances with the setlist. In terms of bootlegs, I doubt I will listen to this tour very often, but I am glad to have attended.

Ultimately, this tour made me aware of how much I want them to release a new album.

As for the rest of the world, here's hoping the Stones visit you very soon!

Re: 50 & Counting - Final thoughts?
Date: September 30, 2013 23:30

Yes
Yes
Happy
I don't know, since so much stuff has been available in fair quality on YouTube.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:58

Yes
No
Setlists were predictable and largely phoned in. Performances better than could have been expected.
No.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 1, 2013 00:10

Yes X4

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 1, 2013 00:19

Yes, they did a great job. Everyone was on.

Not complaining. I paid $250, which is about what I paid to see McCartney a few weeks later, about the same distance from the stage at each show, they were good seats.

Memory Motel, Whip Comes Down, All Down The Line, You Got The Silver, Emotional Rescue--how could I not be happy?

I generally listen to Stones studio bootlegs and BBC and live stuff from the 60s. But if I see a bootleg CD of the show I saw (Boston II), then I'll pick it up. Also, the last of the Anaheim shows was quite a tour highlight, so yes on that as well. And Glastonbury as well. It would also be great to have a boot of Echoplex, with Mick Taylor playing on the only version of Love In Vain on the whole tour.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2013 00:28

Performances - They played way better than I expected. They were great.

Was it worth the money - Certain things cannot be measured in pounds or dollars. I could afford two, I went to two concerts.

Setlist - didn't work well. The 02 one didn't have a good flow. Park was overloaded with war horses. But here we are discussing if irina shayk looks better in red or black ...

Boots - I'm no big boot fan

The only things that I truly did not like were the guest spots and whatever went wrong with whyman.

All in all, a great tour.

C

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 1, 2013 00:42

Musically this was the best tour I saw (1st one was 1982), they just were lacking youth;-) and punk/energy in comparison. They compensated that with the length of the shows, the performances of Mick T./Bill, the partly surprising set lists and the guests. LOVED the first show in London!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 1, 2013 02:29

No. They essentially ignored their career post 1981.

I didn't go.

Glad they finally did Emotional Rescue and brought Mick Taylor back.

I doubt it.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: October 1, 2013 02:38

My expectations were exceeded. After Europe 2007 I was worried. Sure, some nights were better than others but they really played their asses off.

I'm sick in the head for them so it never crossed my mind to complain about the ticket prices or not go.

Performances were great. I think Staples 2 "ruined" the rest of the tour because they never did a set as great as that again. I still hate Miss You but oh well.

I'll listen to every Midnight Rambler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 02:38 by fahthree.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 03:09

-Did the performances meet your expectations?

The performance was way above what I was expecting. I was stunned when I saw the pay-per-view, Keith was damn fine. Jagger nailed it, and actually sang, sounding better than anyone his age should have a right to.

I think the pricing was disgusting and did a lot to sully their reputation and ruin what should have been a fantastic celebration. I don't care how anyone rationalizes it using free market lexicon, it was a crass money grab. And Keith added insult to injury with his idiotic comments on TV. I was not going to go unless I could get a good 85 dollar seat, yet none were to be had, even going on the pre-sale and day of sale. So my years of spending money on The Rolling Stones was paid back in a large part by getting a free ticket. One of the 600 dollar seats that was right off the side of the stage. Amazing seat. I was lucky.

I was largely disappointed. Some nights the set lists were amazing. Then other nights just standard rote by the book. Overall they should have mixed it up more for each show, especially for the amount of money they were charging. This was yet another instance where fans would get majorly disappointed, seeing an amazing set list with some cool guest, then the show they attended was a basic by the numbers Stones show with some terrible guest.

Yeah I have already, a few good ones. I am not all that psyched by the Hyde Park release, it is ok, but again nothing special set wise. They should really release Glastonbary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 03:11 by whitem8.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 1, 2013 05:42

They played way better than I thought they would

Tickets were too much money but I had to go - I went to three shows. Brooklyn and both Boston shows it was great to take my son to a show.

The set lists were okay. The first part of the show always had some surprises. My main disappointment was that I felt assured that the second Boston show we'd get CYHMK but they did not do it and I've still not seen them do it live.

I do think, and I know this has been talked to death, that they under-utilized Mick Taylor and I wish Wyman somehow could have been included more.

Overall though I thought they were great far better than 2005-2007 and Jagger was AWESOME.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 05:44

Yes to pretty much all. The money is a tough call. I'd rather see the Stones than the Super Bowl but it was an awful lot.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2013 05:59

Very glad they were able to pull it all together and do so overwhelmingly successfully.

I would not have spent the average price commanded and demanded for a ticket on the tour, just no way to justify it to myself so I count myself very lucky to have gotten $85s and gotten unbelievably good seats to boot.

I've got my order in for Hyde Park, but I doubt I'll overly investigate any boots from the tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 1, 2013 06:01

After the PPV I wasn't expecting much, so yeah, they rose to that. They never seemed to really kick off the rust.

No, and I only paid $85. I saw better acts this summer for less money than that.

Worst setlist ever.

I don't listen to any Stones bootleg where Wyman is not the bass player. (But I would buy a DVD of No Security).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2013 13:23

flacnvinyl

Specific questions. Good.
- Yes. They over-all were actually better than I expected. A year ago I wasn't sure if Keith Richards can play a guitar at all any longer. Ronnie was surprisingly good, and the wonder-man Jagger business as usual.
- Yes. £95 for sitting on the grass for 6 hours, and then standing on my feet for 4 hours was alright. Never gonna pay prices they asked for 02 and most of US leg seats. Pure idiotism.
- No. According to the expectations, and can't really imagine anything else by now. The show in Hyde Park I saw was a steady flow of greatest hits. Nice 'extras' there "Street Fighting Man" and "Ruby Tuesday" - worked damn well in London. The performance itself was a bit let down. Keith was breathless, and they didn't sound like a real rock and roll band any longer, but more like old actors mimicking musicians in their roles. Taylor was cool, though.
- No. Except for the Taylor numbers.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 13:33 by Doxa.

Date: October 1, 2013 13:36

<Keith was breathless>

How was his singing, then? grinning smiley

You also got ER, though, which (after the first minute or so) sounds really good on the live album, imo.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 1, 2013 13:39

1 beyond my expectations, 2 yes it was worth it, 3 happy, 4 more so (dvd).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:17

DandelionPowderman
<Keith was breathless>

You also got ER, though, which (after the first minute or so) sounds really good on the live album, imo.

Of course, it was a nice 'oddity' in the set list (even of course knowing that they had played it in US shows), but I think they sounded like not being very comfortable with it, or knowing how to deliver it. Jagger especially sounded like struggling with it, if my memory serves me. I don't think there was anything else valuable in it than being such a rarity. "Doom & Gloom" worked much better.

Since you asked grinning smiley, Keith also had some difficulties in delivering "You Got The Silver"...

- Doxa

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:21

More than that. For me it was by far a dream come true which took just over five years to become real and to be better than most of the countless shows I saw since 1976.

I happened to create a RollingStonesTour Saving account on put the money in the box instead of getting boozed or stones. Yes I paid a fortune for me and my princesse eye rolling smiley London 02 both (VIP and tongue), 6 times VIP PIT and 1 great seats in the US, Gardenparty spoiled at Hydepark. It was worth every cent and every penny.By the way the saving book is more than empty eye popping smiley

We did get a lot of different songs, except at Hyde Park which was a rundown and truncated show at both nights. But I do not complain. A lot of different songs in 11 shows

Yes London both shows I have marvellous recordings

Date: October 1, 2013 14:35

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
<Keith was breathless>

Of course, it was a nice 'oddity' in the set list (even of course knowing that they had played it in US shows), but I think they sounded like not being very comfortable with it, or knowing how to deliver it. Jagger especially sounded like struggling with it, if my memory serves me. I don't think there was anything else valuable in it than being such a rarity. "Doom & Gloom" worked much better.

Since you asked grinning smiley, Keith also had some difficulties in delivering "You Got The Silver"...

- Doxa

It is evident to me that Mick re-arranged this for the road, making it somewhat different (not in a cool way, imo) to avoid fvck ups - especially when it came to the stops.

I don't think he was struggling that much, though, but it sure sounded very different.

Posted by: Barney ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:35

Yes, but they were different. London 2nd show in 2012 was superb, Chicago 31 and 3 were good, Hyde Park 2nd show was great, thanx to the audience and weather.

Yes, 1x Tonguepit, 1x floor, 1x 85$ and Tier 3 (but close to the stage).

Yes, especially the show in London. Hyde Park was not surprising, but Ruby Tuesday and SFM were nice extras

I listenen al lot to London (2012) less to Chicago (quality is not that good) and loved Hyde Park

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 1, 2013 14:40

...waddayamean, final ?? It says 'Counting', doesn't it?!... smoking smiley

Yeah. It was (or rather: became...) better than I feared; Keith is playing/ sounding really downscaled, which I regret; Ronnie is playing better than ever, and is really holding the fort these days, which I admire.
Yeah.
disappointed; not enogh variation, not enough surprises, not enoug depth.
Yeah. (But I must add I don't listen to a lot of'em anymore, these days.)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:24

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

They were above my expectations, played elegant.

The Rolling Stones is FANTASTIC.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:34

flacnvinyl

- Did the performances meet your expectations?Yes at O2, no at Hyde Park
- Was it worth the price you paid for your seats?Yes at O2, no at Hyde park. And the O2 was more expensive btw.
- Are you happy/disappointed with the setlists/performance?Can you guess? Yes at O2, no at Hyde Park.
- Will you listen to bootlegs from this tour as much as previous tours?I have listened to the O2 bootleg a good few times. I listened to a bootleg of my Hyde Park show - the first - but a couple of times was enough.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 1, 2013 16:04

Wasn't it just another Ponzi Scheme?

Date: October 1, 2013 16:46

rebelrebel
flacnvinyl

- Did the performances meet your expectations?Yes at O2, no at Hyde Park
- Was it worth the price you paid for your seats?Yes at O2, no at Hyde park. And the O2 was more expensive btw.
- Are you happy/disappointed with the setlists/performance?Can you guess? Yes at O2, no at Hyde Park.
- Will you listen to bootlegs from this tour as much as previous tours?I have listened to the O2 bootleg a good few times. I listened to a bootleg of my Hyde Park show - the first - but a couple of times was enough.

Please explain why the Hyde Park performance was inferior to the O2 performance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 16:49 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: October 1, 2013 16:54

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

It's the Rolling Stones and they are still bloody fantastic!!!!

Date: October 1, 2013 16:58

They certainly rose to the occasion.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 1, 2013 16:59

yes
no
pre Midnight Rambler yes, post Midnight Rambler no
pre Midnight Rambler(inclusive) only yes

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: October 1, 2013 17:27

1. Yes
2. Yes (paid 85 for each show)
3. I liked that they did ER. I wish they would have given each show the same amount of Taylor. I did get CYHMK at Philly 2, but would have liked more Taylor at Boston 2. I would have been fine with the same setlist every night, if it meant equalizing the shows for everyone who attended.
4. I listen to the 3 shows I have in over the air quality, which includes the Hyde Park "official."

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home