Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Your 80's Favourites
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 28, 2013 00:59

OK, so how about a discussion on our favourite groups and acts of the 1980’s? Here’s the deal: they have formed, or, at least, released their earliest music in this decade. When debating this period before and what we like and dislike, there has been a tendency to focus on those 60’s and 70’s acts who continued into the eighth decade: Neil Young, Bowie, The Stones, et al. So, with that in mind, we’re looking at the likes of The Smiths, Style Council, Guns N’ Roses, Stone Roses, Madonna, New Order and so on. My own view is that, yes, the production – especially the drum sound – has particularly dated, but there were some terrifically exciting and vital music released, also.

My own favourite from this decade are The Smiths. They were definitely, in my opinion, one of the very finest single and LP’s acts of the decade. They had an ace axe-man in Johnny Marr – someone who created musical landscapes and such colourful instrumental passages – and in Morrissey, a lyricist so out-there and the tailor-made pop-star for the NME-buying public of the 80’s.

On the other end of the spectrum across the Atlantic, there was the L.A.-based Guns N’ Roses; a throwback to more wild times in many ways, yet with a fresh enthusiasm for a new generation looking for their very own Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. In Axl Rose they had one of the ultimate voices in rock: a kind of coked-up, Jack-Daniels infested bellowing rock-star for an age-group who felt Jagger and Tyler too belonging to their parents’ generation. In Slash, a mixed-race, Anglo-American, they had their very own Jimi Hendrix.

So, how about everyone else? The above-two acts I have focused on are probably the ones I listen to and enjoy the most. I never tire of How Soon Is Now? and Sweet Child O’ Mine.

Re: OT: Your 80's Favourites
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 28, 2013 01:33

Specials -- Ghost Town....
Waterboys --- Whole Of The Moon
Jesus Mary Chain ...My Bloody Valentine

ROCKMAN

Date: September 28, 2013 01:58

Rockman
Specials -- Ghost Town....

Good choice. It's definitely a favourite recording of mine, too. Didn't they release their first recordings in the 70's, though? Never mind, I'll let ya off. Actually, with ska in mind, how about Madness? They may have formed and released their first record in, I think, '79, but they're largely seen as an 80's act. They were terrific: Our House, Baggy Trousers, It Must Be Love, One Step Beyond...

Date: September 28, 2013 02:02

their first recordings in the 70's...prob right BigAl....
Ghost Town just makes it into the 80's ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 28, 2013 02:07

Rockman
their first recordings in the 70's...prob right BigAl....
Ghost Town just makes it into the 80's ....

Ghost Town went top-ten in '81 and according to their Wikipedia entry, they appear to have had more 80's releases than 70's. They qualify for our thread. thumbs up

Date: September 28, 2013 02:13

...OKay Al I'm with you .... They's in ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:14

Lots and lots of great music going on in that decade!

Most exciting movement was the birth of underground house music. Still love most of it. And rap / hip hop.

Traditional bands: Prince, Talking Heads, the very first Cure, Cult, Inxs, the Depeche Mode, just to name a few. Well, of course gnr's appetite was huge, but it was more an early 90s proto grunge album.

Police and Clash are more the birth of the 80.

But even the old farts poured out some tremendous stuff in those years.

One of the best stones album, undercover, Bowie' let's dance. Tom waits completely reinvented himself. I even loved Bruce's Nebraska.

C

Date: September 28, 2013 02:27

OK, flicking through my beloved iPod, here are some of my favourite releases featuring 80's acts :-

Louder Than Bombs - The Smiths
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
The Stone Roses - Stone Roses
The Immaculate Collection - Madonna
Best Of, Vol.1 - Depeche Mode
Best Of Volume 1 - Van Halen - I feel like I'm cheating, now.
Singles - New Order
The Ultimate Collection - Whitney Houston
Greatest - Duran Duran
The Essential Michael Jackson - yep, I know his 70's successes, but he was considered the King Of Pop in the 1980's!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 02:33 by Big Al.

Date: September 28, 2013 02:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 02:34 by Big Al.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:36

REM and Pylon, two of my favorite Athens, GA bands.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 28, 2013 02:55

Date: September 28, 2013 03:16

Date: September 28, 2013 03:27

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:31

Diana Ross

The Rolling Stones

Rod Stewart

Alice Cooper

Whitesnake

Def Leppard

Toto

Foreigner

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:40

Replacements

Meat Puppets

The Plugz

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:47

A good decade for songs. Not too many great albums in the Eightees.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 28, 2013 21:57

The only music I was listening to in the 80's was Weird Al Yankovic. But I like many acts of the 80's. Some acts considered 90's acts actually formed and first recorded in the 80's, like Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. But straight 80's acts I like Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure (first album in '79), some Duran Duran, etc. Many more, but those are the ones that popped in my head first.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 28, 2013 22:01

T.C.Matic
Einstürzende Neubauten
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
The Gun Club

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 28, 2013 22:06

latebloomer

Without a doubt REM are way out on the top of my list.

No love for B-52s latebloomer, another Athens band?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 28, 2013 22:29

Stewart Copelands band was absolutely incredible back then...

Date: September 28, 2013 22:46

Munichhilton
Stewart Copelands band was absolutely incredible back then...

Curved Air?

He was only in the band during the 70s.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: September 28, 2013 23:09

What no love for The Cult? They released the "Love", "Electric" and "Sonic Temple" albums in the 80's. Take a look at these videos and you can see the evolution of the band from new wave goth to rockers.

[url=

][/url]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 23:20 by oldschool.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 28, 2013 23:14

treaclefingers
latebloomer

Yes, much love for the B's as well, treacle...I remember when they played at college parties and,at first, we all thought they sucked. Love Tractor was another great Athens band, I think they started around 1980.

But, nostalgia may be playing a role here, a lot of things I loved when I was young, I now cringe at. Have to give them all another listen, excepting REM.

Date: September 28, 2013 23:18

oldschool
What no love for The Cult? They released the "Love", "Electric" and "Sonic Temple" albums in the 80's

[url=

][/url][/quote]

[i]She Sells Sanctuary[/i] was college staple at the Pit Pub UBC, in the 1985-86 timeframe.

Loved it.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: September 28, 2013 23:23

treaclefingers
oldschool
What no love for The Cult? They released the "Love", "Electric" and "Sonic Temple" albums in the 80's

[url=

][/url][/quote]

[i]She Sells Sanctuary[/i] was college staple at the Pit Pub UBC, in the 1985-86 timeframe.

Loved it.[/quote]

Just a fantastic band and still are. Saw them recently do the complete Electric album which kicked arse.

Added two more videos one from each of the three albums and the transformation from a ruffle wearing goth band on the "Love" album to all leathers rockers on " Sonic Temple" is pretty amazing IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 23:24 by oldschool.

Date: September 29, 2013 00:21

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 00:48 by tatters.

Date: September 29, 2013 00:23

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 00:27

latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer

Yes, much love for the B's as well, treacle...I remember when they played at college parties and,at first, we all thought they sucked. Love Tractor was another great Athens band, I think they started around 1980.

But, nostalgia may be playing a role here, a lot of things I loved when I was young, I now cringe at. Have to give them all another listen, excepting REM.

True that; but w/ me I have also found that a lot I used to cringe at, I can now appreciate. I really hated most 80's bands, and the synth pop. Took some perspective until I realized how much great songwriting was in play.
Of course there were also some top rock bands around. Psychedelic Furs, Gun Club, Pixies, Joy Division, Cocteau Twins, Jesus & Mary Chain, Echo & Bunnymen.
I can recall exactly, to the second when I switched over to digging the 80's. I had been stuck in Punk, and couldn't make the change-over. One day in a club I heard Richard Butler break into the falsetto "ah-ooh" at the end of Psy Fur's "Love my Way"; with those great drums underneath. It was right there it hit me that it was high time to get with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 10:40 by FortuneTeller800.

Date: September 29, 2013 00:28

Rick Astley anyone?

Date: September 29, 2013 00:40

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home