Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Berlin before the world cup...i doubt
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: April 27, 2005 20:11

Personnaly, i doubt about a show just before the world cup.
The grass on the pitch will be damaged.
What are the exact dates for the first match and the final and where?
In 1998, nobody could touch the pitch before the tournament (Paris SDF).
The Stones played two weeks after the final and Johnny Halliday later.
They can play in Berlin but not in a stadium devoted to football.
What do you think?

Re: Berlin before the world cup...i doubt
Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: April 27, 2005 20:22

This would not be a normal concert I suppose, they would just play three songs before the game on a small stage - but broadcasted via television worldwide. Compare this to the Superbowl show. Macca had the best promotion for his tour he could get, most gigs sold out in under ten minutes.
We all know the Stones had problems to sell out their european shows last time (in fact no stadium show in Germany was sold out), so this would be a perfect promotion. Man, this would really rock! The games will be shown on big screens in every city to masses of people - they would all see the Stones rock!!!

Date: April 27, 2005 20:36

Sorry, there is no game on June 8, so this will purely be an opening ceremony for the games. But maybe that means a lot more Stones on a bigger stage...

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 27, 2005 20:49

World Cup starts June 9th in Munich!!!
There will be a great opening show in Berlin on the 8th of June.
Great, if the Stones rock the new Berlin Stadium. it will be on tv. worlwide---and I think this is Watching more than the Superball.

Date: April 27, 2005 20:52

"Superball", lol, Deutscher was?

But right, this was my point. Opportunity knocks for the Stones, I think they will do it - you canĀ“t get better promotion.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: April 27, 2005 21:02

Superball = Superbowl? hahahah :-)

Well, I agree with some of the above statements - it would be a great publicity for the Stones, millions of people would watch it and it would definitley boost their ticket sales. Could be interesting - and if Bjornulf posts a rumour on his news page I'm sure it bases on reliable sources.

Date: April 28, 2005 16:04

I say we go for it! I'll speak with my FIFA-contact and ask him to find out. If anyone knows, it should be the FIFA.
Time for us to quote JFK: Ich bin (ein) Berliner! I'll be back later with info...
In the mean time - don't get your knickers in a twist (if you're wearing any...) and all the best!

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: April 28, 2005 16:07

I think they mean that they will play at the ceremony. Like the Olympics. No one on the field except the band, during the ceremony.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: April 29, 2005 16:40

They probably could, but have they ever played at Superbowl?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2005 16:43

Wolter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they mean that they will play at the
> ceremony. Like the Olympics. No one on the field
> except the band, during the ceremony.

correct

>They probably could, but have they ever played at Superbowl?

no. Thank God.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 29, 2005 18:20

The Rolling Stones were asked to play at Superbowl a few years ago but they turned it down. Not their cup of tea, really. They are in their own league. They would never play at an opening ceremony, but if the berlin event is a full-scale concert, then the chance is much higher. The big question is, will Paul McCartney and U2 accept to be warm-up acts for the Stones. The Stones would for sure contract to be the last act on the bill on such an event.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RN ()
Date: April 29, 2005 20:43

This sounds naiv. The Stones havn't played any events in the last 30 years or so. No "Live Aid" or whatever. And then they open the Soccer world championship in Germany ?
Never. And McCartney would never accept a role as opener for the Stones. He usually headlines the shows, see again "Live Aid", "Concert for New York" ...

I hope they will play the "Olympiastadium" anyway in their upcoming tour in Europe 2006 !

RN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 30, 2005 03:30

The Stones didnt play Live Aid because as a band they were working on Dirty Work and relationships were so bad. They were asked to play it, but turned it down.

They dont tend to do "one off" events, but such an event when it coincides with a tour and gets huge worldwide coverage (and theres NO bigger event than the World Cup) would give them an amount of publicity that money couldnt buy. the Stones will be touring Europe at the same time as the World Cup takes place. It would be an easy gig for them to do. a couple of songs, a zillion euros in the bank, 3 billion people watching. Its not hard to work out the benefits.

I didnt get the impression that all of these acts were going to be on the same bill. At this stage, FIFA and the people promoting this opening ceremony would just be fishing around for big name acts worthy of the event. If the Stones agreed to do this gig, trust me - they wont even ask McCartney or U2.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 30, 2005 14:08

They did the environment concert in LA in 2003 and a Pepsi corporate concert. If there is money or some sort of promotion they will do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home