Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 224
Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 27, 2014 17:45

nightskyman
michaelsavage
Stones, The Who, The Clash, Zep - those are the real rockers

The Beatles rocked in the early days (that we can see via the old films) and the Hamburg tapes from the 1962-3 era. They rocked in front of the Queen (Twist and Shout) and Ed Sullivan (I Saw Her Standing There). They rocked on the Apple rooftop (January, 1969).

And they rocked on great recordings (see Past Masters Vol. 1 & 2) and selected tracks from ALL of their albums. They rock on the classic Chuck Berry cover 'Rock and Roll Music.'

Don't know what else to say about em,' beyond that the Beatles are rockers.

From the Sgt. Pepper album on, their best work was pop craft and ballads. The 1:30 version of "Sgt Pepper" before "A Day in the Life" rocks, but that's about it on that album. There is nothing even remotely rock and roll on Magical Mystery Tour. The White Album has a handful of good rock tracks, but all of the best tracks from Let it Be and Abbey Road are ballads. By that time, the Beatles treated "rock and roll" as nostalgia, and their touchpoint was the 50's - Chuck Berry, doo wop. I can certainly listen to "One after 909" or "Get Back" or "Come Together" or "Oh, Darling!" or "Octopus' Garden", and they are all nice uptempo rockin tracks.

But then I pull out Let it Bleed and listen to "Gimme Shelter", "Live w/Me", "Midnight Rambler" and "Monkey Man", and well, there just really isn't any comparison.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 27, 2014 17:45

michaelsavage
zzzzzzzzzzz

Sure. Tell everyone my password.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 27, 2014 17:51

drbryant
nightskyman
michaelsavage

The Beatles rocked in the early days (that we can see via the old films) and the Hamburg tapes from the 1962-3 era. They rocked in front of the Queen (Twist and Shout) and Ed Sullivan (I Saw Her Standing There). They rocked on the Apple rooftop (January, 1969).

And they rocked on great recordings (see Past Masters Vol. 1 & 2) and selected tracks from ALL of their albums. They rock on the classic Chuck Berry cover 'Rock and Roll Music.'

From the Sgt. Pepper album on, their best work was pop craft and ballads. The 1:30 version of "Sgt Pepper" before "A Day in the Life" rocks, but that's about it on that album. There is nothing even remotely rock and roll on Magical Mystery Tour. The White Album has a handful of good rock tracks, but all of the best tracks from Let it Be and Abbey Road are ballads. By that time, the Beatles treated "rock and roll" as nostalgia, and their touchpoint was the 50's - Chuck Berry, doo wop. I can certainly listen to "One after 909" or "Get Back" or "Come Together" or "Oh, Darling!" or "Octopus' Garden", and they are all nice uptempo rockin tracks.

But then I pull out Let it Bleed and listen to "Gimme Shelter", "Live w/Me", "Midnight Rambler" and "Monkey Man", and well, there just really isn't any comparison.

Exactly. Rock vs Pop

You have to admit that the Beatles' later period ballads were tremendous, among the greatest songs ever written - In My Life, The Fool on the Hill, Hey Jude, The Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Let it Be, Something, Because. All iconic. But, personally, I would trade them all for the UK 45 Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let it Rock.

Posted by: 1962 ()

The Beatles is the greatest band of all time.

The Rolling Stones is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

Simply as that.

The Beatles is for everyone, the Stones is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 17:53 by 1962.

Date: March 27, 2014 17:56

which explains their popularity. Much safer pop music for the masses and grandma and auntie and for the elevator. Sort of like ABBA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 27, 2014 17:56

michaelsavage
zzzzzzzzzzz

that's scarey mick, er mike.

Date: March 27, 2014 17:57

Stop bashing the Beatles!

Ouch

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()

Nah, Beatles are really not for me. Never liked them. Only George Harrison and John Lennon solo, yes.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 27, 2014 17:58

drbryant
nightskyman
michaelsavage

'Monkey Man' better than, say, 'Come Together'? 'Live with Me' better than 'Get Back'? It's up to any one person's opinion as to what is the real rock and roll. I'd say they're both great at rock and roll (with these examples you give), regardless if the Beatles focused on 'pop craft' (as you put it) and ballads.

So what if it was for nostalgia's sake? They're still good rockers...real rockers, that is. And the performance on the rooftop (reiterating) is real rock (Dig a Pony, One After 909, I've Got A Feeling, and Get Back).

Also, 'Gimme Shelter' imho is actually an attempt at 'pop craft.'

And you missed 'Good Morning, Good Morning' from Sgt. Pepper's - - a decent rocker, perhaps not to everyone's tastes.

Date: March 27, 2014 18:15

Gimme Shelter = "pop craft" - HAHAHAHahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 27, 2014 18:19

michaelsavage
Gimme Shelter = "pop craft" - HAHAHAHahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Perhaps you should have added a few more ha has just for good measure.

Remember - Peace and Love, Peace and Love

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2014 18:23

drbryant

hahaha...

Date: March 27, 2014 18:42

michaelsavage
which explains their popularity. Much safer pop music for the masses and grandma and auntie and for the elevator. Sort of like ABBA

Like Abba?, um, NO!

Date: March 27, 2014 18:43

You miss the point

Date: March 27, 2014 18:44

Hairball
drbryant

hahaha...

Touche!

Date: March 27, 2014 18:46

michaelsavage
You miss the point

I don't think so, but, go ahead and explain your point. The Beatles are only for elevator music?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 27, 2014 18:46

michaelsavage
You miss the point

I think the problem is that most everyone is missing your point.

I find the key to making this all work is actually having a point.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 27, 2014 18:51

Beatles win on cuteness and first to do Ed Sullivan, and hugging stuffed animals.
Stones win on music, sound, songwriting,etc.

Date: March 27, 2014 19:01

MKjan
Beatles win on cuteness and first to do Ed Sullivan, and hugging stuffed animals.
Stones win on music, sound, songwriting,etc.

Joking aside, clearly more to it than that. You marginalize the entire Beatles album catalogue while inflating whatever the Stones did.

I think both are great, or are equals. Whether they liked or not they were intimately connected throughout the sixties (see Andrew Oldham, 'I wanna be your man,' 'We Love You,' Maharishi, etc.). They even used the same film director (Michael Lindsay-Hogg).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 19:03 by nightskyman.

Date: March 27, 2014 19:16

Don't know why I even bother with this silly debate anymore...to each his own. But here goes....

For the record, I was born and raised on the Beatles ('63) and would have to place them one small notch above the Stones from my personal perspective.
And although I was aware of the early Stones hits (Satisfaction, etc.) in my early years, I didn't really get into them until '75 with the purchase of Made In The Shade
which eventually led to my Stones obsession. With that said, and even after having seen the Stones live 50 times, I still give the nod to the Beatles.

But, here's a treat for the Beatle haters to relish in....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 19:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:18

Just listened to The Beatles album Past Masters Volume 2in the car...nearly drove of the road when Lennon 'It's a love that last forever..' in 'Don't let me down'...PHEW..this is far über just Rock'n'Roll...

Lennon Rules!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:48

At the moment "Don't Let Me Down" would be my prime nomination for a greatest Beatles song among the many candidates, yes. Difficult and almost meaningless to present only one song, but I could do that.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:58

So what is the point of this comparison all he time?

Date: March 27, 2014 19:59

treaclefingers
michaelsavage
You miss the point

I think the problem is that most everyone is missing your point.

I find the key to making this all work is actually having a point.

How cute

Date: March 27, 2014 20:03

or shall I say, "How cute, Emma"

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 27, 2014 20:07

The Beatles is the greatest band of all time.

The Rolling Stones is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

Simply as that.

The Beatles is for everyone, the Stones is not.

Or not that simple. Split between this post and another in the thread Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin, I made a response there that especially you motivated me to, 1962, so I present a copy here as well

Witness
This post actually motivated by some posts in that Beatles v Stones thread. However, what I remembered to have read, caschimann, was your post instead in this thread.

caschimann
It´s pretty simple:

Led Zep are the perfect Rock-Band.

My very Stones are the perfect Rock´n Roll-Band.

What attracts me by the Stones, is not caught by their being "the perfect rock'n'roll band". That only and only that. To me not primarily either, unless you refer to what I once myself in another discussion referred to by the following words

And in another thread not so long ago, DandelionPowderman, after first having used a more vague term, that at first puzzled not only me, came up with "wonkiness" and in one sentence presented it as
"That wobble, or wonkiness, is bound to be there when Keith is leading the band rhythmwise, and Charlie and Bill are masters playing around with it."

In that precise meaning I would myself agree to your view, but even then only in part. Not in that sense, I think it is to diminish what the Stones stand for. Which is rock'n'roll, rock, R&B, blues, soul, pop and much that cannot be easily subsumed under those more or less broad categories.

I am not always sure what I myself should understand by 'rock'n'roll' as contrasted by 'rock', even if I have some vague ideas. Even less I would know what you or other posters as well mean by that term.

The implication is that the Rolling Stones to me are much more than a rock'n'roll band. And I agree with others that the Beatles are not without rock or rock'n'roll.

If I should venture an alternative, I would suggest that the Stones have more of the original music forms (blues, R&B, soul etc) built in their own original music than the Beatles, and that part of the greatness of the Stones lies therein. Only one part, though, there are other parts as well.

Date: March 27, 2014 20:12

jjo
So what is the point of this comparison all he time?

Haha, good question. In the meantime....

Date: March 27, 2014 20:13

Who wants to hear beatles on a STONES site. Strange

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home