Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 224
Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 2, 2014 18:50

There ARE, I assume, Beatles sites where people can go, yes?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2014 18:54

michaelsavage

yes but unfortunately there are no Beatles vs Stones threads.

They're all John vs. Paul, or Paul vs. George, or George vs. John.

.... or Ringo vs. Pete Best (kind of like our Taylor vs. Wood)

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 2, 2014 20:20

treaclefingers
michaelsavage

Lets go with Ringo..he was the most gifted.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 2, 2014 20:38

MKjan
treaclefingers
michaelsavage

Lets go with Ringo..he was the most gifted.>grinning smiley<

Ringo vs. Pete Best..that's not kind to Pete...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 2, 2014 21:13

Poor meekscarey, still cannot fathom the historical link between the two bands, and talk objectively.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2014 21:28

Nor does he object to talking about any other band.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 2, 2014 23:20

For anyone in the DC area who wants to see some Beatles and Stones togetherness:

Company Premiere
March 5, 2014-March 9, 2014

John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Eisenhower Theater

When The Beatles and The Rolling Stones invaded America back in the 1960's rock 'n' roll changed forever. Relive this revolution in Trey McIntyre's A Day in the Life, an energetic, thrillingly visual and emotional journey set to classic Beatles' tunes. Through poignant lyrics, hard-driving guitar licks and strutting dance, Christopher Bruce's highly-acclaimed rock ballet Rooster, is the penultimate "battle of the sexes."

A Day in the Life
Choreography by Trey McIntyre
Music Songs by The Beatles

Rooster
Choreography by Christopher Bruce
Music Songs by The Rolling Stones

There Where She Loved
Choreography by Christopher Wheeldon
Music by Frederic Chopin and Kurt Weill
Performance dates and times:

Wednesday March 5, 2014 at 7:30PM (Preview Night)
Thursday March 6, 2014 at 7:30PM (Opening Night)
Friday March 7, 2014 at 7:30PM
Saturday March 8, 2014 at 1:30PM & 7:30PM
Sunday March 9, 2014 at 1:30PM & 6:30PM

2700 F St. NW, Washington, DC 20566

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 2, 2014 23:28

whitem8
Poor meekscarey, still cannot fathom the historical link between the two bands, and talk objectively.

Under a new name? I'm unaware of this.

Re: Beatles 1962-70 vs. Stones 1964-72
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 3, 2014 01:07

whitem8
Drake I don't think there was anything in my post that was a personal attack. And yes you were stating an opinion as was I as a counterpoint. It is cool you are fan of their later stuff. I was just trying to point out that I also really like their early stuff, and I don't think most casual Beatles fans only listen to their later catalog. Their early albums still sell tons, and albums like 1 and 1962-66 are huge sellers, with a lot of their early tracks.
So sorry, again, nothing was meant on personal. I was also laying out that on this board there are times it is hard to have objective conversations about The Beatles.
And yes! I agree with you about Magical Mystery Tour being a very underrated album! It was one of Lennon's favorites.

Magical Mystery Tour is a great album, but it's a great album in the way that Frank Sinatra's September of my Years, or Abba's Super Trouper, is a great album. Fantastic songs, brilliant performances, but it doesn't rock at all. Beggars Banquet, on the other hand, is raw, unpolished, not as popular with the general public, and, in the three-song sequence with Street Fighting Man, Prodigal Son and Stray Cat Blues, encapsulates everything that is so special and enduring about rock and roll.

Date: March 3, 2014 01:13

Marhsall
I've Always thought 'Between The Buttons' superior to 'Sgt's Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', when comparing albums between the 2 bands.

I wish they never tried to best 'Sgt. Peppers' w/ the material that ended up as 'T.S.M.R'. The follow up to BTB-pre-Beggars album could have been another GREAT record in the style of 'All Sold Out' , 'Yesterday's Papers' , 'My Obsession' , Connection' , 'Complicated' , 'Back Street Girl' & the GREAT unreleased 'I Can See It' aka 'Get Yourself Together', they were really getting a rough & solid R'n'R sound.

(I'm not going go to go into the technical aspect of the overall 4 track recordings; I.e. Pre-mixing the tracks, bouncing & overdubs.) The overall songwritng & GROOVE they achieved w/ 'Buttons' was a huge step fwd! Wish we could have had one more to follow this, ala 8 track before 'Beggars' & skipped the whole Beatles posing era!

This is one point of view I have had trouble understanding over the years. Between the Buttons has always been an album that I've never enjoyed, despite many efforts to do so. I can understand that it is music that is evocative of the swinging London of 1967, but it all sounds so dated. Whereas Let it Bleed, with tracks like "Gimme Shelter", sounds timeless.

Date: March 3, 2014 01:35

whitem8

Wow. Did you come up with that yourself or did Daddy help?

Date: March 3, 2014 01:37

drbryant
Marhsall
I've Always thought 'Between The Buttons' superior to 'Sgt's Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', when comparing albums between the 2 bands.

I wish they never tried to best 'Sgt. Peppers' w/ the material that ended up as 'T.S.M.R'. The follow up to BTB-pre-Beggars album could have been another GREAT record in the style of 'All Sold Out' , 'Yesterday's Papers' , 'My Obsession' , Connection' , 'Complicated' , 'Back Street Girl' & the GREAT unreleased 'I Can See It' aka 'Get Yourself Together', they were really getting a rough & solid R'n'R sound.

(I'm not going go to go into the technical aspect of the overall 4 track recordings; I.e. Pre-mixing the tracks, bouncing & overdubs.) The overall songwritng & GROOVE they achieved w/ 'Buttons' was a huge step fwd! Wish we could have had one more to follow this, ala 8 track before 'Beggars' & skipped the whole Beatles posing era!

This is one point of view I have had trouble understanding over the years. Between the Buttons has always been an album that I've never enjoyed, despite many efforts to do so. I can understand that it is music that is evocative of the swinging London of 1967, but it all sounds so dated. Whereas Let it Bleed, with tracks like "Gimme Shelter", sounds timeless.

I feel sooo sorry for some people on this site...why do they not just kinda go over to the beatels site - and stay there? BTW "dated"!! HAHAHHAHAH

Date: March 3, 2014 02:27

michaelsavage
drbryant
Marhsall

I feel sooo sorry for some people on this site...why do they not just kinda go over to the beatels site - and stay there? BTW "dated"!! HAHAHHAHAH

Wow, what an intelligent comment! You must be a true fan, not a particularly articulate one, but a true fan! congratulations!

Date: March 3, 2014 03:54

yeah michaelsavage, aka meekscarey, aka, mr. done deal...really articulates his passions well.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: March 3, 2014 23:19

why you haten on the guy som much ?

Date: March 3, 2014 23:42

Veetles are better than Stones as Justin Bieber is better than Kurt Cobain.

Date: March 4, 2014 00:03

jjo
why you haten on the guy som much ?

Right?! Just showing my love for the Stones and these "people"....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2014 00:06

emotionalbarbecue

Amanda Bieber totally has a point!

I'm not sure what the point is, but I'm sure there is one!

Date: March 4, 2014 00:07

So Justin Bieber IS a girl???!!!

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: March 4, 2014 17:34

If Justin Bieber's parents had done the right thing and spanked him when he needed it he might be more of a tolerable human being. I have never seen anybody that deserves to be punched in the face more than he does. He has never heard the word "NO". Thank God my kids are past the age of paying any attention to this waste of flesh.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: March 5, 2014 15:28

emotionalbarbecue

Reading this I laughed so hard I spit out my coffee!

smileys with beer

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: March 5, 2014 23:23

emotionalbarbecue

Yes twitter was huge back in Kurt Cobain's day. LMAO!

Date: March 5, 2014 23:30

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: March 6, 2014 00:20

I read this book. It was OK. You can only compare the two in the 1960's. My fascination has always been comparing John and Georges guitar playing to Brian and Keiths. Kind of hard to do because they were four different guitar players. I will highlight what I think they all did well. I'd say it is a tie just like the book rated them.

John- played triplets better than anyone. All My Lovin for instance. Also played lead guitar on You Can't Do That. John's guitar playing was always underrated but it was the sound of the Beatles. I Want to Hold Your Hand is a perfect example of this. The sound of John's guitar makes the whole song.

George- George always played kind of politely but it fit nicely. His forte was rockabilly guitar. Just listen to Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby and Honey Don't. His best work was lead guitar on And Your Bird Can Sing. Phenominal! Not to many guitar players who can pull that off.

Brian- England's first slide guitarist. He torched I Wanna Be Your Man and got an incredibly authentic blues sound on Little Red Rooster. His slide took a pure blues tune to #1 for the first and only time in history. His Bo Diddley runs on Mona are hypnotic and unique. And this guy used open tunings in the early 60's.
Plus half the riffs are his. The Last Time, Cloud, Helper.

Keith- The worlds best Chuck Berry guitarist. Chuck must have been sick when he first heard Keith play. Carol, Down the Road Apiece, You Can't Catch Me. Keith put bite into his playing. Route 66 was rough and raw. Of course responsible for the other half of riffs. The most famous one in history. Satisfaction. John was the Beatles sound. Keith was the Stones.

Just my take on what these four guys did great on guitar. Of course I left out a lot of good guitar from all four but I hate typing on my Kindle.

Date: March 6, 2014 00:47

michaelsavage
no, I mean Beatles song. Majority

I've never heard The Beatles song called Majority.

Date: March 6, 2014 01:06

JumpinJackOLantern
I will always love the Beatles, but I will never forgive them for quitting on their fans. I really blame John. They brought much joy to the world until that self serving and self destructive bastard Lennon destroyed it all.

Explain how The Beatles "quit on their fans".

Oh wait.

Nevermind.

Date: March 6, 2014 09:18

ovalvox
I read this book. It was OK. You can only compare the two in the 1960's. My fascination has always been comparing John and Georges guitar playing to Brian and Keiths. Kind of hard to do because they were four different guitar players. I will highlight what I think they all did well. I'd say it is a tie just like the book rated them.

John- played triplets better than anyone. All My Lovin for instance. Also played lead guitar on You Can't Do That. John's guitar playing was always underrated but it was the sound of the Beatles. I Want to Hold Your Hand is a perfect example of this. The sound of John's guitar makes the whole song.

George- George always played kind of politely but it fit nicely. His forte was rockabilly guitar. Just listen to Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby and Honey Don't. His best work was lead guitar on And Your Bird Can Sing. Phenominal! Not to many guitar players who can pull that off.

Brian- England's first slide guitarist. He torched I Wanna Be Your Man and got an incredibly authentic blues sound on Little Red Rooster. His slide took a pure blues tune to #1 for the first and only time in history. His Bo Diddley runs on Mona are hypnotic and unique. And this guy used open tunings in the early 60's.
Plus half the riffs are his. The Last Time, Cloud, Helper.

Keith- The worlds best Chuck Berry guitarist. Chuck must have been sick when he first heard Keith play. Carol, Down the Road Apiece, You Can't Catch Me. Keith put bite into his playing. Route 66 was rough and raw. Of course responsible for the other half of riffs. The most famous one in history. Satisfaction. John was the Beatles sound. Keith was the Stones.

Just my take on what these four guys did great on guitar. Of course I left out a lot of good guitar from all four but I hate typing on my Kindle.

thumbs up First time I agreed with everything written...you got it when it comes to the subject guitarplaying...smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 09:19 by Come On.

Date: March 6, 2014 22:40

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
I will always love the Beatles, but I will never forgive them for quitting on their fans. I really blame John. They brought much joy to the world until that self serving and self destructive bastard Lennon destroyed it all.

Explain how The Beatles "quit on their fans".

Oh wait.

Nevermind.

I am just glad they went away...

Date: March 7, 2014 00:30

meekscarey why don't you go away from Beatles threads? Are you really a closeted lover of all things Fab? I bet you have a Beatle wig and dance to I am the Walrus juggling eggs. You are the egg man!!

Date: March 7, 2014 20:40

who are u talking to? (maybe someone on a beatles site? ha ha)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home