Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones should have used Mick Taylor the way the Eagles used Bernie Leadon this year
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 25, 2013 11:17

I know its probably been talked about a bunch of times at this point, but I'm just getting back to listening to the Eagles, and its sad to see what the Stones could have done with Mick Taylor this year. I know the Eagles were brining back Bernie, but I didn't know exactly how he was being used.

Their setlist was set up perfectly. They basically went through their catalogue in chronological order, which meant Bernie was featured for all of the first set. They played about 27-28 songs a night and Bernie was featured every night on half of those (14 on average). On for all of the first set which features all songs he played on, then back for the whole encore.

Just would have been great if the Stones did this with Taylor this year. Would have been awesome to have him on 10 songs from that period, plus the full encore, each night. Sure, it may have been the highlight every night, but it would have been so cool for fans. Again, I know this has probably been talked about a lot, but I'm just seeing how the Eagles used Bernie and immediately thought this is exactly how Taylor should have been used. I loved the one show I saw this year, don't get me wrong, but this is absolutely how it should have been done.

Re: Stones should have used Mick Taylor the way the Eagles used Bernie Leadon this year
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 11:40

I didn't see the Eagles but I totally agree with the concept you proposed or some variation of it. In a perfect world...

Re: Stones should have used Mick Taylor the way the Eagles used Bernie Leadon this year
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 25, 2013 15:46

In a perfect world...
Don Felder would be touring with the Eagles too.

No such thing.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:01

Don was not asked to participate in this reunion due to ongoing legal battles. Randy Meisner was asked but declined due to health reasons.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:32

Funny how the Eagles, with their highly un-admired reputation as pure businessmen (Henley & Frey), should've put more thought into how to musically represent their former band member on tour than the Stones...

Date: September 25, 2013 16:34

Denny
Funny how the Eagles, with their highly un-admired reputation as pure businessmen (Henley & Frey), should've put more thought into how to musically represent their former band member on tour than the Stones...

Might have something to do with what Leadon was willing to accept as well?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 25, 2013 16:55

So we've learned the Stones should treat Taylor like Leadon but instead they treat him like Felder...or do they treat Wyman like Felder?

Or perhaps Felder treats the Eagles they way Wyman should...

Date: September 25, 2013 16:59

Munichhilton
So we've learned the Stones should treat Taylor like Leadon but instead they treat him like Felder...or do they treat Wyman like Felder?

Or perhaps Felder treats the Eagles they way Wyman should...

He says nice things about them?..

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 17:10

One year ago nobody would seriously believe that The Stones would play together with Mick T. And / or Bill. The idea of Mick T. playing (as a guest) on all concerts of (a leg of) a tour was even less imaginable. Yet it happend. I guess if they played in the same setup as in 1972 and they would play just as well as in 1972, most people would still complain.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 25, 2013 17:14

The situation with MT was different - we will never know what the real reason why MJ did not use MT more - was it because he could not handle physically playing on more songs due to him coming out of REHAB 30 days prior to the start of the tour,or was it because MJ did not want everyone in the world to see what the stones could sound like with MT featured more on the warhorses compared to the present line-up the last 40 years.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: September 25, 2013 17:26

Hopefully we'll see more MT in the future...

Date: September 25, 2013 17:31

The Stones should have used Mick Taylor to play songs like "Time Waits For No One" ; "Silver Train" ; "Ventilator Blues" ; "Tops" ; "Winter" ; and "Plundered My Soul" ; "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"etc. .

They also left him on the sidelines when they did play "Live With Me" ; "You Can't Always Get What You Want" ; and "Gimme Shelter" .... "Shine a Light" as well.

"Sway" could have been a minute longer in duration with more time for Taylor's guitar work. "Love in Vain" only at 1 concert .... the warm-up concert at that ????

It doesn't make much sense to me. It seems like a wasted opportunity. Although,there is still time. They could still perform those songs with him if they really want to. I suppose that it will depend on their level of desire to do so.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 18:18

I love Taylor but his stamina is questionable.

Date: September 25, 2013 19:37

DoomandGloom
I don't understand why people are saying that. He seemed fine to me at all shows, and he also played varying songs each time, so I'd say he was only restricted because Jagger restricted him, not by his own accord.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:16

RollingFreak
DoomandGloom
I don't understand why people are saying that. He seemed fine to me at all shows, and he also played varying songs each time, so I'd say he was only restricted because Jagger restricted him, not by his own accord.
He had some shaky moments. As far as Jagger restricting it's his, Keith's and Charlie's show and they did an amazing job this year. These guys are rock elders and may not think on their feet as quickly as we'd like. Still they presented Taylor in a good fashion, ripped up The US, Glasto and London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-25 21:17 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:21

Wonder what Leadon is getting paid

Date: September 25, 2013 21:30

DoomandGloom
RollingFreak
DoomandGloom
He had some shaky moments. As far as Jagger restricting it's his, Keith's and Charlie's show and they did an amazing job this year. These guys are rock elders and may not think on their feet as quickly as we'd like. Still they presented Taylor in a good fashion, ripped up The US, Glasto and London.

thumbs up

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 26, 2013 00:25

I don't think the Eagles are as fragile as the Stones in terms of egos and drug problems. They worry about Ron Wood and his many trips to rehab and how it would make him feel. Plus, neither Ron or Keith seem that adaptable to having a new player. They could do it for a song or two, but maybe not more, not without a lot more rehearsal than they were willing to put in. While I believe Taylor should have been used more and would have even attended a show if he had been, I understand what the Stones are dealing with. I'm not a huge Ron Wood fan, but I worry about him, too. He has a lot of fans who love him and a bunch of kids to worry about, so yeah, I can understand why they'd make him a priority over Mick T.

Date: September 26, 2013 00:30

Well, he is a band member. Why shouldn't they give him the priority.

I really can't fathom why you bring Ronnie into this? He was very excited about playing with Taylor again.

Of course they could have played more songs with Taylor without rehearsing more. BS, TD, JJF etc. MR was good every night, so there wasn't anything wrong with the adaptability.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 26, 2013 01:35

We also need to remember that it was Taylor who quit. It is not as if the Stones have been begging him for years and he finally said 'ok guys, i'll do it'. Instead, he chose to the leave the band. Having him come back for 'only' one or two songs is both a trial by fire and an honor for Taylor.

I think at this point he has proven that he can hold it down and be a team player. Hopefully this results in a new studio album featuring Taylor on some songs, and a new tour on that album with Taylor playing more often.

I still think the reason why Taylor is viewed as 'amazing' and Ronnie is viewed as 'lesser' by some, is because Ronnie is almost always mixed at half the volume of Keith.

Date: September 26, 2013 01:49

flacnvinyl
I still think the reason why Taylor is viewed as 'amazing' and Ronnie is viewed as 'lesser' by some, is because Ronnie is almost always mixed at half the volume of Keith.

No, Taylor is viewed as amazing because he played on the albums during the Stones golden period and Ronnie played it relatively poor albums with one or two exceptions. Taylor got to prove his greatness by adding and collaborating on the Stones best work, and unfortunately for Ronnie he joined when they were past that. Has nothing to do with people not knowing how good Ronnie is. Its that in the context of the Stones, he's never really done anything outstanding.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 26, 2013 02:44

You would think Bernie is poor due to not having worked on big stuff much in the last 30 years. I heard nothing from him. I was shocked when I read he was worth 70 million due to his early Eagles efforts songwriting and recording royalties.

Irv Azoff is why these guys are so rich. He set up the best deals for them and had an insanely demanding way that was legendary with many stories.

What you see for Bernies tour participation was what We all though Mick Taylor was going to get on tour

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 02:51

In another case of completely misunderstanding what the fanbase wants, Mick just read this and fired Taylor before hiring Bernie Leadon for the next tour.

Date: September 26, 2013 03:08

triceratops
What you see for Bernies tour participation was what We all though Mick Taylor was going to get on tour
Its not what I thought would happen. Its just what should have happened.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:26

RollingFreak
triceratops

You are in the minority on this

Date: September 26, 2013 03:47

triceratops
RollingFreak
triceratops

You are in the minority on this

I guess I'm in the minority too. I also felt this was how Taylor should have been used, but like many things with the Stones, it made too much sense for them to actually do it. There's "Common Sense" and there's "Stones Sense". Common sense tells you that if the Stones are playing a song from the Taylor era, or a signature song of his, and Taylor is part of the show, then Taylor should be out there. Where Stones sense concludes that Taylor should stay backstage and Gwen Stefani should come out. As much as I wanted Taylor to have a larger role, I was very skeptical about it, and wasn't surprised to see him being under-utilized. But at the same time I try to stay open-minded and think that maybe there was a rational explanation for this that we're just not being told. There have been a few theories.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 26, 2013 04:22

Taylor was onstage with them for most of one show--back in 1981. Maybe Mick--Jagger that is--wasn't pleased with the results and didn't think such an extended appearance should be repeated....

....or maybe it just works like this: The Stones present themselves onstage as they exist in the present day--and that is the version of themselves they wish to present to their audience. Current members are there for the whole show, and past members get a guest interval in the set as a nod to their past line-ups because this was the nature of this most recent tour, that is, a look back.

Now that the 50th anniversary shows are over and the band is presently entering its 52nd year, there may be a few Taylor supporters who will be disappointed when he is not present for the next tour--that is, if the next tour takes on a different theme, beyond "50 & Counting". After all, he's not about to be made a permanent special guest, is he?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 04:33

Happy24
One year ago nobody would seriously believe that The Stones would play together with Mick T. And / or Bill. The idea of Mick T. playing (as a guest) on all concerts of (a leg of) a tour was even less imaginable. Yet it happend. I guess if they played in the same setup as in 1972 and they would play just as well as in 1972, most people would still complain.

smileys with beer

Date: September 26, 2013 04:39

stonehearted
Now that the 50th anniversary shows are over and the band is presently entering its 52nd year, there may be a few Taylor supporters who will be disappointed when he is not present for the next tour--that is, if the next tour takes on a different theme, beyond "50 & Counting". After all, he's not about to be made a permanent special guest, is he?

Maybe, I don't know. If he makes better money doing one or two songs than touring solo (I have no idea what he makes solo or made on this tour), and if the Stones think they'll make more money with Taylor than without him, then I could see it happening. If there is another tour that is. I think both parties would be better off not doing that though. Either bring him in or cut him loose. A tour with Taylor would be good, as would a tour without Taylor, but another tour with Taylor doing jack shit is just frustrating to watch. If I'm just watching the Stones play Gimme Shelter I'm a happy man, but if I see them playing it and know Taylor is backstage playing games on his cell phone then it makes me think of what COULD be instead of what we're getting. It's a little greedy for sure, but can't help but think it. Just like I couldn't help but be disappointed over the missed opportunity of having the '69-'74 lineup on stage together, even just for one song. Bill was there Taylor was there, but they never went on stage together. I thought that was a real shame.

Date: September 26, 2013 04:56

NoCode0680
stonehearted

Maybe, I don't know. If he makes better money doing one or two songs than touring solo (I have no idea what he makes solo or made on this tour), and if the Stones think they'll make more money with Taylor than without him, then I could see it happening. If there is another tour that is. I think both parties would be better off not doing that though. Either bring him in or cut him loose. A tour with Taylor would be good, as would a tour without Taylor, but another tour with Taylor doing jack shit is just frustrating to watch. If I'm just watching the Stones play Gimme Shelter I'm a happy man, but if I see them playing it and know Taylor is backstage playing games on his cell phone then it makes me think of what COULD be instead of what we're getting. It's a little greedy for sure, but can't help but think it. Just like I couldn't help but be disappointed over the missed opportunity of having the '69-'74 lineup on stage together, even just for one song. Bill was there Taylor was there, but they never went on stage together. I thought that was a real shame.

Agreed 100%. Also, its just ridiculous to watch Taylor sitting behind the stage waiting for Satisfaction. I mean, thats literally us watching Taylor watch the Rolling Stones which he is legitimately a part of! I can get past it if he's backstage and doing stuff, even if that means playing on his phone. But watching him just sit there and wait for his turn is really upsetting.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home