Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:41

Naturalust
NeddieFlanders
I guess so, there's ebayers already offering the Best Buy +1-version, like this one (I don't think it's fake):

[www.ebay.com]

N

Surely not fake, delivery dates are listed as between Sept 30 and Oct 6, no one has this in hand yet but I've heard that copies will soon be shipped out to many internet bloggers and other music reviewers so we will soon be getting more detailed song by song reviews as part of the incredible media PR blitz for this record.

It's amazing how much PR and hype is going into this release in light of how quietly the Stones slipped the SF live release out. I can't recall many other records with this much build up actually.

there was much more build up for dirty work.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:49

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 21:26 by Naturalust.

Date: August 14, 2015 21:17

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
I never bought Keith's claim that MM was lifted from the "Japanese thing" he had done and always thought he was just a bit jealous that such a beautiful Stones song was done without him. It's one of those things we'll never know, like Bill's claim to have written the JJF riff, either you believe him or you don't. Besides, it's like saying some of Keith songs were lifted from Chuck Berry. Keith probably had played hammered riffs with droning strings before, it's pretty common guitar technique but I think Micks use of it in the construction of MM was where the song was born and he it the one who did all the work to create it. Watching Keith playing this one on tour has only supported by opinion.

some of keith's songs were definitely lifted from Chuck Berry. and keith will be the first to admit to it.

Well he certainly didn't tell his publisher, lol. My comment was in regards to his claim that he had the Moonlight Mile riff and that Mick lifted it from him. If I recall it was not in the "inspired by" vein that Keith uses with reference to Berry but more of the "I actually wrote that" attitude which think is a bit of a stretch. And also to point out that those riffs Keith uses on IORR and other songs are cliche guitar phrases that are just as common in the guitarists toolbox as the hammered droning stuff Mick uses in MM.

I agree with maindefender that Crosseyed Heart better be good with all the PR. I think Keith must be proud of it in any case and I'm delighted he's putting anything out at this point. Bring it on!

you messed up the quotes again.

Date: August 14, 2015 21:29

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
I never bought Keith's claim that MM was lifted from the "Japanese thing" he had done and always thought he was just a bit jealous that such a beautiful Stones song was done without him. It's one of those things we'll never know, like Bill's claim to have written the JJF riff, either you believe him or you don't. Besides, it's like saying some of Keith songs were lifted from Chuck Berry. Keith probably had played hammered riffs with droning strings before, it's pretty common guitar technique but I think Micks use of it in the construction of MM was where the song was born and he it the one who did all the work to create it. Watching Keith playing this one on tour has only supported by opinion.

some of keith's songs were definitely lifted from Chuck Berry. and keith will be the first to admit to it.

Well he certainly didn't tell his publisher, lol. My comment was in regards to his claim that he had the Moonlight Mile riff and that Mick lifted it from him. If I recall it was not in the "inspired by" vein that Keith uses with reference to Berry but more of the "I actually wrote that" attitude which think is a bit of a stretch. And also to point out that those riffs Keith uses on IORR and other songs are cliche guitar phrases that are just as common in the guitarists toolbox as the hammered droning stuff Mick uses in MM.

I agree with maindefender that Crosseyed Heart better be good with all the PR. I think Keith must be proud of it in any case and I'm delighted he's putting anything out at this point. Bring it on!

Again? Who's keeping track? LOL But thanks for pointing it out I just deleted the post since you've quoted it here with the correction.

Date: August 14, 2015 23:21

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust

Again? Who's keeping track? LOL But thanks for pointing it out I just deleted the post since you've quoted it here with the correction.

IORR Incorporated pays me a bonus each time I catch you messing quotes up, that's the only reason I keep track. I'm sure you understand.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:46

Turner68
keefriffhards
They are all Jagger Richards compositions
Moonlight Mile Lyrics about a head full of snow sounds keefy
Dead flowers has Keith singing and playing guitar
Sway has Keith's opening riff and general Stonsey sound to it
Come on your not telling me Keith has nothing to do with those songs

Maybe he was bombed out on smack when they did the final recordings, but who know's what inspiration Keith added to those songs

Maybe Keith cant remember having much to do with those songs, he is not in a position to argue really

One thing is for sure Mick Taylor can take a hell of a lot of credit for some songs but that's another matter for another day

hmm these are excellent points. in fact, i remember hearing somewhere that a keith riff (called "japanese thing" or something like that) was included in moonlight mile.

also, although it's likely true Jagger wrote most of "dead flowers", it's likely keith came up with most of his parts, just like although jagger 'wrote' most of SFTD keith came up with the whole guitar solo and the bass line, and we don't know who came up with the beat for the song.

however, i'm guessing that Naturalist got his info from his meetings with Keith in Mexico in the 80s (he also learned a lot about keith's marriage and sobriety strategies during these adventures)h and/or his regular interactions with the Taylor camp, so we probably shouldn't question him.

indeed, while one could argue that since Mick said in 2015 about Moonlight Mile that "Of course, some of the things we added later were there to enhance the mood we had come up with - like overdubbed guitars by Keith and Mick, Bill’s bass, Jimmy Price’s piano and Paul Buckmaster’s strings", it's very likely that Naturlist's info is better than Mick Jagger's. those times he and keith had together in Mexico were really memorable.

Naturalust i would love to know Keith's sobriety strategies, would you be so kind as to share them please, plus i could use them winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 00:06 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 15, 2015 00:27

keefriffhards
Naturalust i would love to know Keith's sobriety strategies, would you be so kind as to share them please, plus i could use them winking smiley

Only the purest and very finest of course and as far as alcohol goes, practice till you become a true professional with enough tolerance not to fall about and make a complete fool of yourself. It helps to have an huge bank account and a job where you don't have to get up till you damn well please. winking smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 00:38

Naturalust
keefriffhards

Only the purest and very finest of course and as far as alcohol goes, practice till you become a true professional with enough tolerance not to fall about and make a complete fool of yourself. It helps to have an huge bank account and a job where you don't have to get up till you damn well please. winking smiley

yes i might of guessed lol
I have been practising very hard for 33 years and i still haven't quite got the hang of it yet winking smiley
Thanks for your response NL

Date: August 15, 2015 00:51

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

yes i might of guessed lol
I have been practising very hard for 33 years and i still haven't quite got the hang of it yet winking smiley
Thanks for your response NL

Russel Brand is pretty good as far as an ex-addict talking about kicking it.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 15, 2015 00:53

Beast
Pino Palladino, The Who's bass player.

Pino's been friends with Steve Jordan for years.

He played with him in the John Mayer Trio, and worked with Steve and wife Meegan Voss' band The Verbs.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:09

bye bye johnny
Beast
Pino Palladino, The Who's bass player.

Pino's been friends with Steve Jordan for years.

He played with him in the John Mayer Trio, and worked with Steve and wife Meegan Voss' band The Verbs.

It would be easier to list who Pino hasn't worked with. A truly great bass player, imo.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:11

sorry to go back to last nights debate about Dead Flowers not having anything to do with Keith
It just came to mind that Keith chose to play that song at the Gram Parsons Tribute concert
I wonder why he played that particular song if it had nothing to do with Keith Or Gram Parsons
I heard that Parsons influenced Keith into country music
Looking at the clip below of Flowers with Keith really getting into it, just makes we wonder
Also the drug references like a needle and a spoon for instance seems to be more a line Keith would use in the song

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 15, 2015 01:24

keefriffhards
sorry to go back to last nights debate about Dead Flowers not having anything to do with Keith
It just came to mind that Keith chose to play that song at the Gram Parsons Tribute concert
I wonder why he played that particular song if it had nothing to do with Keith Or Gram Parsons
Looking at the clip below of Flowers with Keith really getting into it, just makes we wonder
Also the drug references like a needle and a spoon for instance seems to be more a line Keith would use in the song

[www.youtube.com]

To be fair Gram probably influenced Mick a bit too....The closest we have to understanding the writing f this one is this 1971 quote from Mick, which doesn't really tell us if Keith was involved but surely insinuates Jagger put considerable time into it prior to recording it. (from timeisonourside)

Dead Flowers was all written before (we recorded it). I'd played it a hundred times at home.

- Mick Jagger, 1971

Date: August 15, 2015 01:30

Naturalust
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

To be fair Gram probably influenced Mick a bit too....The closest we have to understanding the writing f this one is this 1971 quote from Mick, which doesn't really tell us if Keith was involved but surely insinuates Jagger put considerable time into it prior to recording it. (from timeisonourside)

Dead Flowers was all written before (we recorded it). I'd played it a hundred times at home.

- Mick Jagger, 1971

I know Mick said that, but i just wondered what it sounded like i guess before Keith Keeferized it lol
When Mick and Keith used to share the mic stand to sing Flowers is really was something to behold
The way they harmonised on it was something else smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 01:31 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:42

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

- Mick Jagger, 1971

I know Mick said that, but i just wondered what it sounded like i guess before Keith Keeferized it lol
When Mick and Keith used to share the mic stand to sing Flowers is really was something to behold

we'll never know. i think the example of SFTD is a good one, naturalist and i discussed it above. mick clearly says "i wrote it" but you can see in the movie (which you must see if you haven't) that the song was pretty half-baked when mick brought it to the band, and you can see keith (and others) working his butt off to turn it into everything it ended up being.

when mick says "i wrote it" i think that mostly means the lyrics and the melody of the vocal. leaves lots of room for others to have impacted it in a huge way.

generally speaking, in my view keith is the main songwriter in the band.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:51

Turner68
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

- Mick Jagger, 1971

we'll never know. i think the example of SFTD is a good one, naturalist and i discussed it above. mick clearly says "i wrote it" but you can see in the movie (which you must see if you haven't) that the song was pretty half-baked when mick brought it to the band, and you can see keith (and others) working his butt off to turn it into everything it ended up being.

when mick says "i wrote it" i think that mostly means the lyrics and the melody of the vocal. leaves lots of room for others to have impacted it in a huge way.

generally speaking, in my view keith is the main songwriter in the band.

Well lets just say when they were working together back in the day the sum of the parts was indeed probably better that that either of the parts alone. I just feel that Mick's role in writing music has been somewhat misunderstood and often marginalized with most people thinking that Keith was the "main songwriter" as you put it when in fact Jagger made a huge contribution to the music as well as writing the words and melody for many great songs.

I would actually love to hear what Mick would have done with Trouble. lol

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 15, 2015 02:19

you guys are so far off topic its sad.

Date: August 15, 2015 04:05

tumbled

is that bad?

Date: August 15, 2015 05:04

Turner68
tumbled

is that bad?

It happens all the time , no worries but it's bad form when people go to a thread expecting to discuss Keith's record and have to wade through our talk about Krith and Micks songwriting contributions.

My apologies for my part in it, but the OT stuff we've been on is definitely worthy of its own thread.

Anyway to steer back on topic, I did get an email yesterday from Keith's PR people suggesting I preorder the record.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:28

i was hoping that the bonus track would be keiths version of ONE MORE SHOT

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:32

the bonus is LOVE OVERDUE. just checked Bestbuys web page. oh well

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 15, 2015 07:58

Track Listing
1. Crosseyed Heart
2. Heartstopper
3. Amnesia
4. Robbed Blind
5. Trouble
6. Love Overdue
7. Nothing on Me
8. Suspicious
9. Blues in the Morning
10. Something for Nothing
11. Illusion
12. Just a Gift
13. Goodnight Irene
14. Substantial Damage
15. Lover's Plea
16. Love Overdue [Bonus Track] - (featuring Lee "Scratch" Perry)

[www.bestbuy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 08:06 by rogerriffin.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 15, 2015 11:00

I was waiting for One More Shot as bonus track..eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 15, 2015 12:10

[touch.latimes.com]

"Several songs offer up big Stones-like rockers with beefy grooves and tasty guitar work, which is probably what most listeners look for in a Richards album"

Exactly!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 15, 2015 12:30

Well. the song crosseyed heart is keith's boogie from voodoo brew cd 2, song 9

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 15, 2015 14:20

KRiffhard
[touch.latimes.com]

"Several songs offer up big Stones-like rockers with beefy grooves and tasty guitar work, which is probably what most listeners look for in a Richards album"

Exactly!

This album will be wonderful. Very promising song-titles, too. Keith still rules, no doubt about it. Mick will be jelaous. I can almost hear the "beefy grooves" even now.

Btw, tonight I had a horrible nightmare. In a newspaper I read "Keith Richard died at sixty-eight." When I woke up, I felt quite confused and strange.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2015 14:54

[www.youtube.com]

That rendition of Dead Flowers is from a Willie Nelson & Friends show in 2002.
The Gram Parsons Tribute Show was in 2004. Keith played on Love Hurts, Hickory Wind,
In My Hour of Darkness and Wild Horses.

Date: August 15, 2015 15:12

quote="with sssoul"]

[www.youtube.com]

The Gram Parsons Tribute Show was in 2004. Keith played on Love Hurts, Hickory Wind,
In My Hour of Darkness and Wild Horses.[/quote].

Lol. Sorry yeah I do realise this fact, but made a hideous mistake again. Not much help really am I lol.
Mind you. It was worth making this mistake just for the fact that Mr know it all did Not pick up on it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 20:13 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 15, 2015 15:44

keefriffhards
quote="with sssoul"]

[www.youtube.com]

In My Hour of Darkness and Wild Horses.
. Lol Sorry yeah I do realise this fact but made a hiddious mistake again. Not much help really am I lol. Mind you. It was worth making this mistake just for the fact that Mr know it all did Not pick up on it[/quote]

Don't take it so hard, it's not personal. I still get it wrong all the time, secure in the knowledge that somebody here will catch me when I fall.

As for Dead Flowers, the fact that it had been played a lot before it was brought into the studio suggests that the original idea was Mick's, because that's the way he likes to work, whereas Keith is more likely to bring a skeleton of a song and let the band put the flesh on the bones in the studio.

Outside of the Stones, Keith usually sticks to songs he feels are his, but maybe DF was somebody else's choice on the Willie Nelson show.

Date: August 15, 2015 16:26

Thank you. And that's a very good point Green Lady. More than likely, Keith just thought it was an ideal song for a good jam with them all involved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 19:19 by keefriffhards.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home