Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sad reflection while listening to IORR
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:31

I was listening to the vinyl of It's Only Rock 'n Roll and looked at the inner sleeve. It's nice that the Stones remembered about their co-workers and put their pictures instead of band photo, but I noticed something very sad - all of them are gone:
- Keith Harwood - died in 1977
- Ian Stewart - died in 1985
- Nicky Hopkins - died in 1994
- Billy Preston - died in 2006
- Andy Johns - died in 2013

Time waits for no one indeed. On the other hand it's kind of uplifting that the band is still well and active after all these years...

Re: Sad reflection while listening to IORR
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:38

Guy Peellaert (he did the album cover) - died in 2008

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 21:41

franzk
I was listening to the vinyl of It's Only Rock 'n Roll and looked at the inner sleeve. It's nice that the Stones remembered about their co-workers and put their pictures instead of band photo, but I noticed something very sad - all of them are gone:
- Keith Harwood - died in 1977
- Ian Stewart - died in 1985
- Nicky Hopkins - died in 1994
- Billy Preston - died in 2006
- Andy Johns - died in 2013

Time waits for no one indeed. On the other hand it's kind of uplifting that the band is still well and active after all these years...

I came to a similar and sad realization not too long ago myself, while listening to a Jimi Hendrix Experience album. I of course always knew Hendrix was dead, and I had heard about the passings of Noel and Mitch, but it didn't hit me until that day that the whole band was dead. I don't think that can be said for any other band I'm a fan of.

And I know Billy Cox is considered a member of The Experience, but I'm talking about the classic lineup.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2013 22:08

GumbootCloggeroo

If there's a positive to come out of all these sad coincidences, its a safe bet that pretty much everyone in the photo that inspired the album cover are long gone too!

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 22:15

wow i never knew the art came from that picture

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:01

Gazza rules! >grinning smiley< thumbs up

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:37

I don't think the cover art for iorr was inspired by this nazi image. It more closely resembles a scene from the never finished 1930's film I, Claudius, with Charles Laughton as Claudius. Everyone except the stones are dreesed in Roman garb.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2013 00:24

1930's film I, Claudius, with Charles Laughton as Claudius

Hey yeah saw a doco about that movie years ago .... sure was an interesting story

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 12, 2013 01:13

Gazza
GumbootCloggeroo

If there's a positive to come out of all these sad coincidences, its a safe bet that pretty much everyone in the photo that inspired the album cover are long gone too!

@#$%& had some paintings 2

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 12, 2013 01:17

I always get a sad reflection when listening to Time Waits For No One, because, sadly, time waits for no one....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 12, 2013 02:04

stonehearted
I always get a sad reflection when listening to Time Waits For No One, because, sadly, time waits for no one....

but... but... I thought time was on our side?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2013 02:07

millerman60
I don't think the cover art for iorr was inspired by this nazi image. It more closely resembles a scene from the never finished 1930's film I, Claudius, with Charles Laughton as Claudius. Everyone except the stones are dreesed in Roman garb.

You dont?

The columns in the background, fawning masses on the side of the steps with their arms outstretched saluting, and the way the principal figures at the front are walking.

Yeah. Total coincidence!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 12, 2013 03:41

Max'sKansasCity
stonehearted

It is, but only if you use it well. Like a glass of beer--if you wait too long to drink it, it will go flat and won't be worth drinking, then you'll be left wondering about the glass of beer that might have been.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 12, 2013 04:14

stonehearted
Max'sKansasCity
stonehearted

It is, but only if you use it well. Like a glass of beer--if you wait too long to drink it, it will go flat and won't be worth drinking, then you'll be left wondering about the glass of beer that might have been.

oooooohhhhhhh so its like a drinking game, now it all makes sense, Thanks

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 12, 2013 04:59

Gazza
millerman60

You dont?

The columns in the background, fawning masses on the side of the steps with their arms outstretched saluting, and the way the principal figures at the front are walking.

Yeah. Total coincidence!

I know what he means. I saw a documentary years ago in college about it. And, like most things, it ended up on You Tube. Check at about 3:20 on the clip. Did Peelleart see this? Who knows? I doubt it. Then again, I saw it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2013 05:19

....that's it tomk.... thanks man ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 12, 2013 07:00

Gazza
GumbootCloggeroo

Ouch.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 12, 2013 13:32

Gazza
GumbootCloggeroo

Gazza , pure genuies .awesome!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 12, 2013 13:35

Gazza , can you identify the Nazis in the photo behind @#$%&?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 12, 2013 14:54

The Stones themselves are survivors -- none of them dead since Brian in '69.

Beatles are half gone, The Who too. Original Jimi Hendrix Experience gone too.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:54

philrock90

It didn't

Date: September 12, 2013 19:06

TheGreek
The man to @#$%&'s left appears to be Rudolf Hess.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:10

GumbootCloggeroo
TheGreek
The man to @#$%&'s left appears to be Rudolf Hess.

That's what I thought. It looks like his big ass head, plus he's the only Nazi (high ranking at least) I've seen that wore that long sleeve shirt/tie uniform.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 12, 2013 19:12

There was a lot of flirtation with Nazi imagery in the mid-70s, with Bowie, Iggy, Lou Reed and a bit later the "punks". I suppose it was seen as outrageous and unfortunately as an aesthetic. Not saying the Stones knowingly or unknowingly participated, but they already had experience in donning German uniforms (Brian Jones anyway). In Britain of that era I imagine it would be like kids of 20 years ago co-opting a Soviet fashion sense -- definitely going piss off the parents.

In his book "Rock Dreams, Guy Peellaert has the Stones all in Nazi regalia btw, so I am assuming the IORR cover shot was not an accident.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:32

A lot of people say it isn't, they may be right. I'm sure @#$%& and his buddies weren't the only people to be photographed ceremoniously descending down some stairs. It is pretty similar, but I don't know.

When was that Nazi picture taken? Some people are saying it comes from "I, Claudius" (1937), could the scene in question have been a hint at the picture? Cinema of the time often was influenced by what was happening. Also, you can't put it past the Nazi's to co-opt cinema (even though it wasn't released, but I guess they could have found/seen something.) to make themselves look good/dramatic.

Now you guys have me wondering if Luke, Han and Chewie were Nazis.

I know the similarities aren't AS striking.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:42

NoCode0680
you can't put it past the Nazi's to co-opt cinema (even though it wasn't released, but I guess they could have found/seen something.) to make themselves look good/dramatic.
If you haven't seen Triumph Of The Will, you must. It is brilliant filmmaking.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:45

GumbootCloggeroo
NoCode0680
you can't put it past the Nazi's to co-opt cinema (even though it wasn't released, but I guess they could have found/seen something.) to make themselves look good/dramatic.
If you haven't seen Triumph Of The Will, you must. It is brilliant filmmaking.

I've heard of it and seen many clips, but never actually watched the whole film.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 12, 2013 19:54

Gazza
GumbootCloggeroo

Staggering. ..never knew this but it's clear this photo is the inspiration.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:08

Me don't know how to post a photo but the Guy Peellaert image of Stones as Nazis (along with several others) can be seen here:

Stones as nazis

So coinkydink I think not.
And yes "Triumph of the Will" was extremely influential to this day. Again, Bowie for one was well aware.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:39

michaelsavage
philrock90

It didn't

yes it did,its a pretty well known fact thats been around for years in stonesland.
i've got his book and he had some dark ideas.back then it didnt seem like a big deal but looking back its some pretty out there stuff.or maybe things have turned back into the 1950's as far as attitudes toward art and those kind of things go....i dont know.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home