Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Love You Live - Overdubs
Date: September 12, 2013 17:12

flacnvinyl
I will just leave this here...

Ya Ya's raw acetate mp3 - http://www.hatfieldmedia.com/The Rolling Stones - 1969 - Get Yer Ya Yas Out raw acetate - sbd.zip

Thanks, Drake! Taylor's guitar (in the centre of this acetate-mix) is almost bouncing out of my headphones grinning smiley

The reason for replacing it must surely be that the rhythm playing is WAY too busy during Keith's solos.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 12, 2013 18:16

Overplaying was always MT's "Achilles Heal.

He was also a bugger for overembellishing a simple but already perfect riff.

Not all the time...but he often struggled to appreciate that less is sometimes more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 18:18 by Spud.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 12, 2013 18:31

Spud
Overplaying was always MT's "Achilles Heal.

He was also a bugger for overembellishing a simple but already perfect riff.

Not all the time...but he often struggled to appreciate that less is sometimes more.

Too many notes for your ears. Never listen to counterpoint. You couldn't handle it.

Date: September 12, 2013 18:37

DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Ya Ya's raw acetate mp3 - http://www.hatfieldmedia.com/The Rolling Stones - 1969 - Get Yer Ya Yas Out raw acetate - sbd.zip

Thanks, Drake! Taylor's guitar (in the centre of this acetate-mix) is almost bouncing out of my headphones grinning smiley

The reason for replacing it must surely be that the rhythm playing is WAY too busy during Keith's solos.

On LQ? You must be kidding.

If someone only could remove the crackle! It's better than Ya Ya's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 18:46 by kleermaker.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 12, 2013 19:23

The vocal overdubs on GYYYO and LYL are painfully obvious, especially on LYL. The Mannish Boy overdubs are a travesty.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:29

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

There are three guitars, though grinning smiley

Date: September 12, 2013 20:22

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

There are three guitars, though grinning smiley

Only at the end, if I'm right. Blondie perhaps?

Date: September 12, 2013 20:25

No, not only in the ending.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 12, 2013 22:06

I love hearing Keith's harmonies on Little Queenie!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 12, 2013 23:48

Great, thanks...but I definatly can hear 3 guitars on Little Queenie - strange!

Date: September 13, 2013 00:12

It's not strange. It's after Keith's overdubs, but before the final mix.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: September 13, 2013 00:43

vudicus
I thought the comment was "Do the Horrendous to that if you can", the Horrendous being a kind of made up dance that Ronnie mentions in his Autobiography.

I thought that too, and now with your supporting comment, it finally makes sense. Thanks.

Edit: Just listened again to confirm. I didn't want to hear it from the beginning, I just...dropped it in. cool smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 13, 2013 00:48

kleermaker

Too many notes for your ears. Never listen to counterpoint. You couldn't handle it.

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

There are three guitars, though

Only at the end, if I'm right.

Funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 00:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 13, 2013 07:40

DandelionPowderman
schwonek
Ok, someone sent me this one:

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Date: August 7, 2009 16:10

In all reality Ya-Ya's, LYL and Still Life do NOT have that many overdubs. Yes, most vocals were redone, there's editing of songs to make them a bit shorter as long jams often don't work on a live record, but as far as guitar overdubs are concerned there really aren't that many done. Ya-Ya's has NO guitar overdubs at all, side 1, 2 and 4 of LYY has NO guitar overdubs I can think of, Still Life has only a few (Shattered and Let's Spend in the middle 8, and the solo of UMT always sounds suspicious to me).

The only live recording that actually is truly reworked is the recording that we all praise so much: El Mocambo. The (six+) guitars of Mannish Boy, Cracking Up and LRR are all done in the studio, the harmonica is redone, vocals are redone, and there's added piano as well.

Mathijs

Well, this is not entirely correct. Take Crackin' Up, for instance, there is no doubt that Ronnie added one or two guitars there - but the original three guitar tracks we hear on the bootleg are kept on the LYL-album.

I can't really hear any guitar overdubs on Mannish Boy or LRR? Maybe one on the latter...

The solo on UMT (Still Life) is the original Keith-solo, albeit the mixing is very clever, making it sound a bit better.

I love Keith's backing vocals on Tumbling Dice (LYL). Something he never did live ever grinning smiley
not quite sure about that. I would say that backing vocals on Tumbling Dice are from Billy Preston.

Date: September 13, 2013 09:22

jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

In all reality Ya-Ya's, LYL and Still Life do NOT have that many overdubs. Yes, most vocals were redone, there's editing of songs to make them a bit shorter as long jams often don't work on a live record, but as far as guitar overdubs are concerned there really aren't that many done. Ya-Ya's has NO guitar overdubs at all, side 1, 2 and 4 of LYY has NO guitar overdubs I can think of, Still Life has only a few (Shattered and Let's Spend in the middle 8, and the solo of UMT always sounds suspicious to me).

The only live recording that actually is truly reworked is the recording that we all praise so much: El Mocambo. The (six+) guitars of Mannish Boy, Cracking Up and LRR are all done in the studio, the harmonica is redone, vocals are redone, and there's added piano as well.

Mathijs

Well, this is not entirely correct. Take Crackin' Up, for instance, there is no doubt that Ronnie added one or two guitars there - but the original three guitar tracks we hear on the bootleg are kept on the LYL-album.

I can't really hear any guitar overdubs on Mannish Boy or LRR? Maybe one on the latter...

The solo on UMT (Still Life) is the original Keith-solo, albeit the mixing is very clever, making it sound a bit better.

I love Keith's backing vocals on Tumbling Dice (LYL). Something he never did live ever grinning smiley
not quite sure about that. I would say that backing vocals on Tumbling Dice are from Billy Preston.

Then you'll be wrong. Listen closely. They're separated to Keith's side, of memory serves.

Preston may very well have provided back up vocals as well, but it was Keith's I had in mind. Very rough vocals.

Date: September 13, 2013 09:56

DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

Then you'll be wrong. Listen closely. They're separated to Keith's side, of memory serves.

Preston may very well have provided back up vocals as well, but it was Keith's I had in mind. Very rough vocals.
I think I recognize keith's voice especially when he sings "in the funkhouse nowwww.."
But to me, most of the time,background vocals are Billy Preston's.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2013 09:58

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Funny you…. This IS the Ya Ya’s version…..First you state LQ is THE prime example of Taylor’s fantastic rhythm playing, then when it is discovered it actually is an overdub by Richards you don’t like the track at all, and now you think this version is better than Ya Ya’s while it IS the Ya Ya’s version…There’s a lot of wishful thinking going on with you Taylorites!

In the right channel in the background is Richards original (live) guitar, on the left is Richards overdubbed rhythm guitar as heard on Ya Ya’s.

The overdubs: in the right channel from the start the dark, heavy guitar playing the rhythm pattern is Richards. This guitar is completely removed for Ya Ya’s. Starting from 1:08 a new rhythm guitar can be heard in the middle of the spectrum. It plays throughout the rest of the song, and sounds much like Taylor’s original track.

In the first turn-around another overdubbed guitar is added, panned to the middle –it’s the heavy, thick guitar by Richards. This overdub is also on Ya Ya’s.

At 3:10 you hear why Taylor’s guitar has been removed: he plays a rhythm going against Charlie’s ‘2’ and ‘4’, and against Richards’ laid-back ‘and 2 and 4 beat’. Taylor emphasizes the ‘1’ with his ‘tadada-dum’ rhythm, just clashing with the rest of the band.

After the turn-around the thick guitar disappears, leaving the three guitars: Richards’ original track, the overdubbed rhythm part, and Taylor in the middle, removed on the official release. The outro has Taylor’s turn-around riff again.

Mathijs

Date: September 13, 2013 10:07

who's able to recognize the background vocal on "do you think that you're the only girl around..." on LYL album ?
Keith or Billy...or Mick himself ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 10:10 by jpasc95.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:09

I wonder how MT felt with KR doing the overdub over his guitar?
I doubt he would have felt too good.
Judging by the guitarists I read from on this board, alot of them have inflated egos....it would be deflating being told their guitar part is bad.

Date: September 13, 2013 10:12

jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
schwonek

[www.iorr.org]

and...

Mathijs

I think I recognize keith's voice especially when he sings "in the funkhouse nowwww.."
But to me, most of the time,background vocals are Billy Preston's.

Maybe, but Keith is singing throughout, albeit a bit subtle.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:16

jpasc95
who's able to recognize the background vocal on "do you think that you're the only girl around..." on LYL album ?
Keith or Billy...or Mick himself ?

Keith overdubbed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 13, 2013 10:33

Walter Schäppi's site with info on overdubs

Yes he missed some overdubs but this guy posted info about overdubs years ago so let us not complain. Thank you Walter Schäppi.

Date: September 13, 2013 12:56

Mathijs
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Funny you…. This IS the Ya Ya’s version…..First you state LQ is THE prime example of Taylor’s fantastic rhythm playing, then when it is discovered it actually is an overdub by Richards you don’t like the track at all, and now you think this version is better than Ya Ya’s while it IS the Ya Ya’s version…There’s a lot of wishful thinking going on with you Taylorites!

In the right channel in the background is Richards original (live) guitar, on the left is Richards overdubbed rhythm guitar as heard on Ya Ya’s.

The overdubs: in the right channel from the start the dark, heavy guitar playing the rhythm pattern is Richards. This guitar is completely removed for Ya Ya’s. Starting from 1:08 a new rhythm guitar can be heard in the middle of the spectrum. It plays throughout the rest of the song, and sounds much like Taylor’s original track.

In the first turn-around another overdubbed guitar is added, panned to the middle –it’s the heavy, thick guitar by Richards. This overdub is also on Ya Ya’s.

At 3:10 you hear why Taylor’s guitar has been removed: he plays a rhythm going against Charlie’s ‘2’ and ‘4’, and against Richards’ laid-back ‘and 2 and 4 beat’. Taylor emphasizes the ‘1’ with his ‘tadada-dum’ rhythm, just clashing with the rest of the band.

After the turn-around the thick guitar disappears, leaving the three guitars: Richards’ original track, the overdubbed rhythm part, and Taylor in the middle, removed on the official release. The outro has Taylor’s turn-around riff again.

Mathijs

All in all more Taylor thus than on the Ya Ya's version. But I was mainly aiming at Jumpin' Jack Flash. Better version here than on Ya Ya's, but not as good as the GS movie version.

Date: September 13, 2013 13:05

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Mathijs

All in all more Taylor thus than on the Ya Ya's version. But I was mainly aiming at Jumpin' Jack Flash. Better version here than on Ya Ya's, but not as good as the GS movie version.

What do you mean better version?

It's the same version with a Keith solo guitar overdubbed.

A bit annoying that Keith's guitar is centered throughout the song, only to give room for the rarely heard overdub in the left speaker.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2013 13:11

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

Mathijs

The actetate JJF is EXACTLY the same as on Ya Ya's, except for the quite ridiculous sounding Richard's solo overdub.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 13, 2013 13:15

The kleerie flubs just keep on coming. grinning smiley

Date: September 13, 2013 13:16

Maybe he thought the overdub was Taylor? More Taylor, please! winking smiley

PS: I know you can take a joke, kleerie smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 13:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 13, 2013 13:38

kleermaker
You couldn't handle it.

(alweer) Bijzonder neerbuigend...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 13, 2013 15:29

Kleerie will always have the last laugh.
The great man Mick Taylor will always be the greatest Stones guitarist..then and moreso now!
God forbid the overdubs that have been done for keith and ron...

Date: September 13, 2013 15:34

Eleanor Rigby
Kleerie will always have the last laugh.
The great man Mick Taylor will always be the greatest Stones guitarist..then and moreso now!
God forbid the overdubs that have been done for keith and ron...

Seriously, that spot will ALWAYS be taken by Mr. Keith Richards.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home