Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Celebrate The Clash Box Set
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:03

Quite a press conference...in a way I'm glad they didn't show up in leather and chains, or like they'd just stepped off the Cardiff stage in '77...but it's also too bad...

Box set is brilliant by the way...really great

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:08

kowalski
The box set in good hands :

[blog.lesoir.be]

Is that Paul Simeonon, Topper Headon , Mick Jones going left to right?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:23

Yes. That's Paul Simenon, Topper Headon and Mick Jones. Aging, it's unavoidable.

I got Hits Back and the CD LP box set last week. The remaining box sets (Sound System and vinyl LPs) arrived today. Sound System looks spiffy.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:29

Munichhilton
I'm glad they didn't show up in leather and chains, or like they'd just stepped off the Cardiff stage in '77...but it's also too bad...

It only seems that way because we haven't been following them regularly over the years like The Stones, and therefore haven't gotten used to their aging process the way have with The Stones. Instead, we have to suddenly blend our last associations of them together as a band--in 1982--with those of 2013. Quite a shocker at first, but the Stones are, in fact, quite a bit older. Imagine if they'd stopped in 1982 and then they reform in 2013 and we see them for the first time min 30 years--then we'd understand better all those snide ageist comments at the foot of every Daily Mail article on The Stones.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 17, 2013 02:16

Paul and Mick played a couple of years ago with Gorillaz. They were great. And no later than this year I saw Mick Jones on stage along with Rachid Taha playing guitar on Rock The Casbah and singing Should I Stay Or Should I Go among other songs... He was still fresh and full of energy. And clearly happy to be here.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 17, 2013 02:32

Mick Jones says he's leaving future releases to the bootleggers. Does this mean they don't have a lot of live recordings in their vault? There's a classic WNEW radio broadcast from '79(?) that needs to be unleashed. Strummer's ad-libbing is ridiculous, he called out tapers as "Johnny Greens"!!!! Band is relaxed and the music is beautifully paced throughout!!!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 17, 2013 02:52

Gazza
I've always loved Sandinista. Even if its too long. They never played better and the best of it is as good as 'London Calling'.

I'd love to hear a proper 'band' recording of the songs on 'Cut the Crap'. Surely there are studio versions of those songs in the vaults before Bernie Rhodes ruined them with drum machines and that awful mix? When they played those songs live in 1984 they sounded really promising. I still think about half of the released album is really good.[/quot

Comparing this to London Calling is just, well, silly

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 17, 2013 02:56

and Cut the Crap is properly named

Date: September 17, 2013 03:32

stonehearted
Munichhilton
I'm glad they didn't show up in leather and chains, or like they'd just stepped off the Cardiff stage in '77...but it's also too bad...

It only seems that way because we haven't been following them regularly over the years like The Stones, and therefore haven't gotten used to their aging process the way have with The Stones. Instead, we have to suddenly blend our last associations of them together as a band--in 1982--with those of 2013. Quite a shocker at first, but the Stones are, in fact, quite a bit older. Imagine if they'd stopped in 1982 and then they reform in 2013 and we see them for the first time min 30 years--then we'd understand better all those snide ageist comments at the foot of every Daily Mail article on The Stones.

Technically I stopped emotionally aging in 1982...I look pretty good!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:41

Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton

Technically I stopped emotionally aging in 1982...I look pretty good!

Same here! I feel pretty good, too.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 17, 2013 05:28

Maindefender
Mick Jones says he's leaving future releases to the bootleggers. Does this mean they don't have a lot of live recordings in their vault? There's a classic WNEW radio broadcast from '79(?) that needs to be unleashed. Strummer's ad-libbing is ridiculous, he called out tapers as "Johnny Greens"!!!! Band is relaxed and the music is beautifully paced throughout!!!
I was at that show. The cover of london Calling was shot that night. It was broadcast live over, as you say WNEW or as Strummer said went out "live, over WSHIT." Edited out on the rebroadcasts.

Johnny Green was a roadie. Strummer sings Here comes Johnny Green with the gaffer tape, that's what he was referring to not bootleggers.

The headline of the NY Post that day was about a huge offer for the Beatles to reunite. Strummer held up the paper on the stage and ripped in in half after saying how the next number has a line about phony Beatlemania, and they tore into London Calling (which was a few months away from release).

I share the sentiments of some about how the Clash are special, about how their music has a spark and freshness at the same time as nostalgia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 05:29 by Rokyfan.

Date: September 17, 2013 05:53

Rokyfan
Maindefender
I was at that show. The cover of london Calling was shot that night. It was broadcast live over, as you say WNEW or as Strummer said went out "live, over WSHIT." Edited out on the rebroadcasts.

Johnny Green was a roadie. Strummer sings Here comes Johnny Green with the gaffer tape, that's what he was referring to not bootleggers.

The headline of the NY Post that day was about a huge offer for the Beatles to reunite. Strummer held up the paper on the stage and ripped in in half after saying how the next number has a line about phony Beatlemania, and they tore into London Calling (which was a few months away from release).

I share the sentiments of some about how the Clash are special, about how their music has a spark and freshness at the same time as nostalgia.

It would be a good show to release properly mixed I suppose, but it's so widely available would it sell much?

The Police had an absolutely stellar set at the same venue in November 1979, also broadcast by WNEW which has gone on to become a must have for those of us in love with early Police...

Date: September 17, 2013 06:28

Maindefender

believe it or not the clash did not have a lot in their vault. the shea stadium release a few years ago was found in an old box while one of the members was cleaning or moving or something and they didn't even know they had it until then

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 17, 2013 06:37

keefriffhard4life
Maindefender

believe it or not the clash did not have a lot in their vault. the shea stadium release a few years ago was found in an old box while one of the members was cleaning or moving or something and they didn't even know they had it until then

I wonder about the shows that appear on "From Here To Eternity: Live". Not counting the track from Shea Stadium there are recordings from 5-6 different shows. Did they just have a few stray recordings from those shows or did they have some entire shows and pick out their favorites? I see several more of the Lyceum '78 show tracks are going to be on "Sound System".

Date: September 17, 2013 07:43

NoCode0680
keefriffhard4life
Maindefender

I wonder about the shows that appear on "From Here To Eternity: Live". Not counting the track from Shea Stadium there are recordings from 5-6 different shows. Did they just have a few stray recordings from those shows or did they have some entire shows and pick out their favorites? I see several more of the Lyceum '78 show tracks are going to be on "Sound System".

i wonder about that too. i'm just repeating what one of the band members said

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 17, 2013 08:11

Munichhilton
Rokyfan
Maindefender

It would be a good show to release properly mixed I suppose, but it's so widely available would it sell much?

The Police had an absolutely stellar set at the same venue in November 1979, also broadcast by WNEW which has gone on to become a must have for those of us in love with early Police...
I taped that Police show along with the Springsteen Passaic show the year before, all kinds of great shows they used to broadcast, I remember Graham Parker, the Cars, Peter Tosh at the Bottom Line. I think I threw out my box of old casettes years ago. I remember sitting there having to look at the cassette windows and guess whther to turn the thing over or if there was enough room for another song. For years the only live Bruce I had were those homemade 3 cassettes.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 17, 2013 12:28

Rokyfan
Maindefender

Thanks Rokyfan for the explanation, I always thought it was "get the tape" from someone recording the show. A lot of the sources I see is missing English Civil War, which is a bummer.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 17, 2013 14:21

Topper should be a poster child for Just Say No.smoking smiley

Date: September 17, 2013 17:33

keefriffhard4life
Maindefender

Same story happened with Mick Jones and the Vanilla Tapes [London Calling #1]...these guys apparently didn't think their works were worth much...

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 17, 2013 17:59

Munichhilton

New Google Mini Doc too where they give it up to the Stones as their influences:

Apparently Mick Jones attended Hyde Park 1969...

Go get it.

"No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones / In 1977..."

I was a HUGE Clash fan back in the day and they never would have acknowledged a Stones connection back then. I didn't realize until later how much the Clash image and mystique was contrived hence I won't be spending any money to buy this stuff for the third or fourth time or thereabouts. Besides, I still have every note on original issue vinyl in pristine condition.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 17, 2013 18:07

keefriffhard4life

The shea stadium release a few years ago was found in an old box while one of the members was cleaning or moving or something and they didn't even know they had it until then

Joe found the box at his home... amazing huh?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 17, 2013 22:45

dcba
keefriffhard4life

The shea stadium release a few years ago was found in an old box while one of the members was cleaning or moving or something and they didn't even know they had it until then

They had recorded Shea with Glyn Johns for a live album which was scrapped after they sacked Mick Jones. Joe came across the tapes much later and thought they sounded good. He suggested they release them. Sony in the meantime had been impressed by the Boston Orpheum '82 tapes that someone there had taken a shine to. A decision was taken to dig up all the multi-tracks, which only amounted to Bonds '81, Lyceum '78' assorted recordings from Rude Boy. These were picked through for the From Here to Eternity album. Full shows exist on multi-track from Bonds, Boston and the Lyceum, but that seems to be it. There are two track shows recorded for FM that are good that Sony has suggested releasing (Amsterdam '81, Jamaica '82) but the remaining Clash have resisted, reasoning that they are out there for the fans for free online. As for the Vanilla Tapes, Mick did know they were someplace in his old house, where is first wife Daisy lived with his daughter. When Daisy moved out after many years. all the tapes and band ephemera were moved to a lockup. That's the legend of fining the Vanilla Tapes in a cupboard. True, but with an explanation.

Date: September 17, 2013 23:27

TeddyB1018
dcba
keefriffhard4life

They had recorded Shea with Glyn Johns for a live album which was scrapped after they sacked Mick Jones. Joe came across the tapes much later and thought they sounded good. He suggested they release them. Sony in the meantime had been impressed by the Boston Orpheum '82 tapes that someone there had taken a shine to. A decision was taken to dig up all the multi-tracks, which only amounted to Bonds '81, Lyceum '78' assorted recordings from Rude Boy. These were picked through for the From Here to Eternity album. Full shows exist on multi-track from Bonds, Boston and the Lyceum, but that seems to be it. There are two track shows recorded for FM that are good that Sony has suggested releasing (Amsterdam '81, Jamaica '82) but the remaining Clash have resisted, reasoning that they are out there for the fans for free online. As for the Vanilla Tapes, Mick did know they were someplace in his old house, where is first wife Daisy lived with his daughter. When Daisy moved out after many years. all the tapes and band ephemera were moved to a lockup. That's the legend of fining the Vanilla Tapes in a cupboard. True, but with an explanation.

Those Rude Boy multis have to be worth a release I would think...if theres a whole show...those are some of the best versions of those songs you're gonna get...don't tell me those are overdubbed too?

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: September 20, 2013 21:45

Does anyone know if the 5 LP vinyl box is digital or analog mastered?

Also, there are two versions of the vinyl box, one from Sony and one from Music on Vinyl. Anybody know what's up with that or why there are two? It looks like it's the same track listing on both.

Date: September 20, 2013 22:30

You may find the infos you're looking for in this thread, on Steve Hoffman forum : Big Clash Box in September

Date: September 22, 2013 14:26

Studio Masters versions of London Calling and Combat Rock are now available on HDTracks and Qobuz. These albums never sounded so good to my ears. eye popping smiley

[www.qobuz.com]

[www.hdtracks.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2013 13:07

ROCKMAN

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 2, 2013 18:57

jeeez, i love the Clash!
A nice rarity from my collection:
Music weekly press ad signed after the gig in Queens hall in Leeds 1978 together with Topper's signed drumstick used on the same gig.

Date: October 2, 2013 19:00

steffiestones
jeeez, i love the Clash!
Music weekly press ad signed after the gig in Queens hall in Leeds 1978 together with Topper's signed drumstick used on the same gig.

Damn steffie....those are sticks for the vault...hope you got a nice boot recording to hear those sticks in action again!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 2, 2013 19:04

Munichhilton
steffiestones
jeeez, i love the Clash!

Damn steffie....those are sticks for the vault...hope you got a nice boot recording to hear those sticks in action again!

Yeah, Topper was in great shape on this gig i guess...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home