Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Celebrate The Clash Box Set
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 2, 2013 20:44

some cool flickr photostreams of the pop-up exhibition here.

no IORRian went,eh?

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 4, 2013 11:19

The Clash's Mick Jones wrote songs with Joe Strummer before his death
Published Thursday, Oct 3 2013, 1:43pm EDT | By Mayer Nissim

Mick Jones has said that he and Joe Strummer wrote songs together before Strummer's death in 2002.

The guitarist told Cerys Matthews and a BBC Radio 6 Music audience recording last month that they had planned to do an album together while Strummer worked with The Mescaleros.

The Clash with Cerys Matthews

"We did write some more songs together and he was going to do them with The Mescaleros," said Jones.

"We wrote a batch - we didn't used to write one, we used to write a batch at a time - like gumbo."

He added: "The idea was he was going to go into the studio with The Mescaleros during the day and then send them all home. I'd come in all night and we'd all work all night."

"I would be awake, and he didn't want me to scare the others! We were going to do the record overnight, while he was making the other record."

Jones continued: "That didn't come to nothing because that wasn't going to work, we knew that but it was a nice idea.

"Later on, a few months later we were at some opening or something and I said, 'What happened to those songs?!'

"If you didn't do them straight away and get them back straight away, it was like, 'What's wrong with them?!'

"So, I went, 'What happened to the songs?!' He went, 'Oh man, they're the next Clash album'."

Story from: [www.digitalspy.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 4, 2013 11:44

Yep. I remember Mick telling me about this shortly thereafter. He felt like he was cheating with Joe on the mescaleros but Joe had another scheme in mind. There are no demos of those with Joe's vocals but they did write five or six unreleased songs in '87 that Mick recorded with BAD after No. 10 Uppimg St.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 4, 2013 13:01

Just listened to the newly remastered London Calling. It's beautiful, can't believe how improved both the vocals and instruments are improved in the best way possible. Mick Jones should remaster the Sticky Fingers release!!!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 4, 2013 14:50

stonehearted

Anyway, I will go for months, years even without listening to The Clash, but whenever I come back to the music it always sounds the same--great!

So... you like Yoko Ono and the Beatles?
Get your head checked, boyo! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 4, 2013 14:54

Munichhilton
NoCode0680
I'm in. Love me some Clash. I've never been able to get into Sandinista though, except a couple songs like Police On My Back and The Magnificent Seven, though I prefer the live version of that one from Shea stadium where they do it as a medley with Armagideon Time.

Sandinista! is an acquired taste, but you gotta love the fearless experimentation...The Leader, Sounds Of The Sinners, In Heaven (not just here), and of course the inimitable Lose This Skin!!

All great tunes...

Definitely ... I love all those tracks, and I think they have a couple nice reggae tracks too, like "One More Time"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 14, 2014 11:53

FaNta$tiC L!vE f00TaGe of tHe Cla§h in MuNi[h, 1977,
especially the close up in the middle:

video: [www.youtube.com]

CLash: Train in Vain
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 2, 2014 06:47

Any Clash fans?
I was 13 the first time I heard this song..is this not one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever recorded. It perfectly encapsulates for me why the Clash were different from every other punk band. The music is joyous, the lyrics mournful and sad, Mick Jones delivery is vulnerable...and it creates this whole mood.
They had soul where everybody else had volume.
The sound feels warm, not alienating and pissy. For me, its the Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Sly and Family Stone, and the Clash.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-02 06:49 by stupidguy2.

Re: CLash: Train in Vain
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2014 07:10

thumbs up

I was 16 in High School when I first heard the Clash, right when London Calling came out.
They have always been in my top 10 favorite bands...so much variety:
Punk, funk, reggae, rock, rockabilly, rap, etc., etc., etc.

Was fortunate to see them several times:

At the Santa Monica Civic 1980 with Jamaican DJ Mikey Dread as opener.
Opening for the Who at L.A. Coliseum 1982.
And finally at the US Festival '83...I believe it was the last US show (or any show?) with Mick Jones in the band.

"I see all my dreams come tumbling down
I won't be happy without you around
So all alone I keep the wolves at bay
There is only one thing that I can say..."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 2, 2014 07:10

Love the live version, with Joe Strummer laying down some solid and righteous rhythm guitar.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 2, 2014 07:48

I like Train in Vain, have The Essential Clash album, but the Clash had a major major charisma deficit.

That's why I love Jimmy Cliff's 2011 cover of The Guns of Brixton, because he has the charisma the Clash didn't.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 2, 2014 08:49

Fan? Of Course, The Clash is probably only second to Stones for me...

superb song this train in vain..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 2, 2014 10:03

Great song, great Live band. Have seen them only live once, in Amsterdam. Love the cds London Calling and Sandinista !!!

One of my favourite bands,

Jeroen

Date: September 2, 2014 10:57

I'd only known Train in Vain, and so it wasn't until Combat Rock came out that they entered my young life and I then discovered London Calling, Sandinista....
Combat Rock was my bible that year. Every song, cut for cut, was essential to my life at that time. It was that weird, sometimes lonely adolescent period and I would wear my CLash t-shirt to school like body armor.
That's what they meant to me. Whether they were sining about class warfare, injustice, Central America....they made me feel like I was part of something...and at that age, that was epic.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 2, 2014 11:02

I got an import copy of the London Calling album in December 1979, more than a month before it was released in the United States, during Christmas break in my sophomore year of college. I played that record to death for months. I was like a missionary in my dorm the next semester. "Have you heard the new Clash album? Let me play you a side."

Train in Vain was a last minute addition to that album. On the first pressing, it's not listed on the LP jacket. The only mention of it anywhere on the packaging is in the etching between the groove and the label on side 4: "Track 5 is 'Train in Vain.'"

I saw the Clash a bunch of times over the years, including the heavily bootlegged Passaic, NJ show from March 1980. On a good night with Topper Headon behind the kit, they were explosive!

Date: September 2, 2014 11:37

I remember looking for the track listing for TIV on London Calling - and it took me a while to realize where it was......it was like a hidden jewel you had to stumble across.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 2, 2014 17:42

trainnvain has been the front of any email address I've had since the 90s.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2014 18:08

London Calling is one of the all time best rock albums.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 2, 2014 20:20

Good point about how this song exemplifies what the Clash had that most punk bands did not. So many, many great songs. The bridge from Guns on the Roof keeps coming to mind in the wake of current events "I'd like to be in USA, thinking that the wars are done, I'd like to be in Europa saying goodbye to everyone . . . . . "

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 2, 2014 23:09

Train In Vain by The Clash, I love it!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 2, 2014 23:47

Rokyfan
Good point about how this song exemplifies what the Clash had that most punk bands did not. So many, many great songs. The bridge from Guns on the Roof keeps coming to mind in the wake of current events "I'd like to be in USA, thinking that the wars are done, I'd like to be in Europa saying goodbye to everyone . . . . . "

They had both sides of the coin, like Jagger/Richards and some other supergroups, with one guy who was sort of the serious purist, and the other who liked being the big popular star. Once they lost one side of that, the balance went too far in one direction, a la Cut the Crap.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 3, 2014 06:12

stupidguy2
Any Clash fans?
I was 13 the first time I heard this song..is this not one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever recorded. It perfectly encapsulates for me why the Clash were different from every other punk band. The music is joyous, the lyrics mournful and sad, Mick Jones delivery is vulnerable...and it creates this whole mood.
They had soul where everybody else had volume.
The sound feels warm, not alienating and pissy. For me, its the Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Sly and Family Stone, and the Clash.

[www.youtube.com]

yeah it's a great song.
the clash were one of the last truly great rock bands.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 3, 2014 07:08

I don't think the Clash have aged well. The seem kind of one-dimensional with their politics. However, they are the band of my youth. In 1978, I moved from California to London for six months. The Clash seemed to personify everything that was cool in London in 1978. Joe Strummer's early death made me very, very sad. I have some lyric sheets written in his hand from the "Give 'Em Enough Rope Album." They were given to me by a friend here in San Francisco who was on hand when the Clash were remixing the album in this city.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:53

1. Stones
2. the Clash
3. The WHo
4. Zep

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:16

I read that the NME review of London Calling was pretty negative, and headlined `Give Em Enough Dope And They Turn Into The Rolling Stones`

I can`t find that article anywhere on line, I`d love to read it...

anyone??

Date: September 6, 2014 00:07

That was in Sounds, not the NME.

Posted by: eraser ()
Date: September 6, 2014 00:18

TeddyB1018

Written by Garry gobshite Bushell if I remember correctly, around the time he started hanging out with dodgy right-wing bands

Date: September 6, 2014 10:01

eraser
TeddyB1018

Written by Garry gobshite Bushell if I remember correctly, around the time he started hanging out with dodgy right-wing bands

Exactly.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home