Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Joe Satriani on Mick Jagger
Posted by: nobodysbusiness ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:06

An extract from one of the nicest Musicians I've ever met talking about one of the nicest Musicians he's ever met. Very cool.

A lot of people might not know that you spent a bit of time in Mick Jagger's solo group, and I was curious if you had any good stories from that time in your career, or could possibly tell me how that partnership arose.
That was a great turn of events for me, the most unlikely! January of '88, I'm on my very first tour as an instrumental solo artist, never done it before in my life, scratching my head every night trying to figure out how to pull off the gig and losing several thousand dollars a week on this three week tour. Two weeks into the tour, I get a call when I'm in Boston from my friends at Bill Graham Presents who were running the Jagger tour in New York City, and they asked if I'd come down for an audition. And I thought, "That's the silliest thing I've ever heard in my life. I'm definitely going to do it, but I know I'm not going to get the gig." Because I never thought of myself as ready for prime-time.

But, I did get the gig, and Jagger turned out to be one of the coolest guys I've ever met in my life. Great performer, very funny and interesting to hang around with in the band room, backstage, after the gigs. And of course on stage, he was the most aggressive and most tireless performer I've ever encountered. He just loved his audience, he loved performing, and he'd do anything to help everybody have a great show. I was just blown away by that. It gave me kind of a renewed sense of how you can be a good band leader and an inspiration to the whole crew with how you behave and how you run a show -- he was really that good.

The funny thing about that is that at the end of that audition, we had just played "Red House" and I kind of maybe was feeling a little light-headed because I had just realized I just got this gig and I'm jamming Hendrix with Mick Jagger, and I said, "Hey, we're playing the Bottom Line tomorrow night, why don't you come down and jam with us?" And I said it as a joke, and he just said, "OK, yeah, I'll be there."

Sure enough he shows up and jumped on stage at the end of the show and totally blew the audience away. I'll never forget that. He's just an awesome guy and just really genuine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-07 00:16 by nobodysbusiness.

Re: Joe Satiani on Mick Jagger
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:10

One of the coolest Jagger stories I have read, thanks for posting

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:19

Jagger seems happier away from the Stones. The Stones seem like a job and he's contracted to be with these certain people he's not really interested in playing with anymore.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:29

Joe Satiani

Satiainen is finnish language and it means: Crabs. Joe crabs is very unhealthy. Dont listen to him.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:31

24FPS
Jagger seems happier away from the Stones. The Stones seem like a job and he's contracted to be with these certain people he's not really interested in playing with anymore.

I hate to say you're right, but I think you're right. Luckily, he fulfills his part of the contract awfully well.

I think he does like playing with them somewhat, though. When the Stones put it all together, there's nothing like it. He knows that.

Posted by: nobodysbusiness ()
Date: September 7, 2013 00:01

It was over 20 years ago when Joe was playing with Mick.

Re: Joe Satriani on Mick Jagger
Posted by: capsula ()
Date: September 7, 2013 00:43

Great story!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 7, 2013 01:41

nobodysbusiness
An extract from one of the nicest Musicians I've ever met

Great story indeed. Thanks for posting. Are you the interviewer ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 7, 2013 02:04

MrMonte
24FPS

I hate to say you're right, but I think you're right. Luckily, he fulfills his part of the contract awfully well.

I think he does like playing with them somewhat, though. When the Stones put it all together, there's nothing like it. He knows that.

People very close to Jagger might have some idea, but I don't think there's any way for the rest of us to know whether he enjoys anything about the Stones anymore. He's a pro, and if the job calls for him to look like he's having a good time onstage with his mates, then he'll do it.

Date: September 7, 2013 02:12

So now the question is - Is there audio/video of that Bottom Line performance?

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home