Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556Next
Current Page: 55 of 56
Re: Hyde Park Show on Showtime in USA
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 21, 2013 15:22

also in the Netherlands, Ned 3. Stones on TV, Crossfire Hurricane and Hyde Park
jeroen

Date: December 22, 2013 02:59

I was at the second show. There was a huge amount of energy in the air before the show, and it got ramped up considerably during the concert. They were very tight.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 22, 2013 05:12

What did they cut out? It's only 95 minutes long.

Re: Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live : DVD & BluRay due Nov. 11
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: December 23, 2013 03:05

gotdablouse
A very nice movie, much better than LSTNT, the "offscreen" commentary (reminiscent of Crossfire Hurricane) works really well and the odd selection of backing tracks (Till The Next Time, Hide Your Love !!) works very well. Actually it conveys an "emotion" (44 years since HP 1969, Brian, first concert by Taylor, etc...) that wasn't really felt at HP1 or HP2 where it seemed very much "business as usual" for The Stones.

It wasn't loud enough but SFM, MR, GS really sounded as "mean" and "groovy" as they ever did. If only for MR with Taylor this 50th Tour was all worth it!

Just watched the Showtime version and was very pleasantly surprised by the film. I thought it was very beautiful and poignant. With all the moaning about the cuts, I was struck by the exquisite little details captured by the cameras--onstage and off.

At a point where the Stones' performances have been so thoroughly boiled down to sets of their most dependable, tried-and-true tunes, the interest of the whole thing seems to me to be about the personalities of the band and the power of the audience's gathering. These shows are something like the ultimate "victory lap" and a last chance to celebrate the phenomenon of the Stones. The movie catches all that in such a lovely and sensitive way. Amazing how far away we are from Scorcese's 2006 portrait...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 23, 2013 16:34

Rev. Robert W.
gotdablouse
A very nice movie, much better than LSTNT, the "offscreen" commentary (reminiscent of Crossfire Hurricane) works really well and the odd selection of backing tracks (Till The Next Time, Hide Your Love !!) works very well. Actually it conveys an "emotion" (44 years since HP 1969, Brian, first concert by Taylor, etc...) that wasn't really felt at HP1 or HP2 where it seemed very much "business as usual" for The Stones.

It wasn't loud enough but SFM, MR, GS really sounded as "mean" and "groovy" as they ever did. If only for MR with Taylor this 50th Tour was all worth it!

Just watched the Showtime version and was very pleasantly surprised by the film. I thought it was very beautiful and poignant. With all the moaning about the cuts, I was struck by the exquisite little details captured by the cameras--onstage and off.

At a point where the Stones' performances have been so thoroughly boiled down to sets of their most dependable, tried-and-true tunes, the interest of the whole thing seems to me to be about the personalities of the band and the power of the audience's gathering. These shows are something like the ultimate "victory lap" and a last chance to celebrate the phenomenon of the Stones. The movie catches all that in such a lovely and sensitive way. Amazing how far away we are from Scorcese's 2006 portrait...

very nicely put!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 23, 2013 19:25

Rev. Robert W.
Just watched the Showtime version and was very pleasantly surprised by the film.

I am glad that you liked it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 24, 2013 16:24

I watched this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Rolling Stones are the elder statesmen of rock and now, at this point in their career, it's all about entertainment and having fun. There's nothing left to prove really...they've made it time and time again. My favorite period is the Mick Taylor Years. You simply cannot compare the energy and the rawness of the performances back then to now, but that would be patently unfair to expect that, anyway. On the way to work this morning I listened to my Philadelphia Special (1972) cd and it was awesome. Mick Taylor was phenomenal... but he was very good at Hyde Park...just didn't get enough of him!! It's thoroughly enjoyable watching summer concert films, expecially in the winter. We really need the sunshine and warmth right now. I particularly love watching the crowd, young and old enjoying the music. That blonde little boy dancing was precious. Having said this, I can't wait to see some videos from their 14 on Fire Tour..it will definitely warm the heart!

I don't know if anyone picked up on this, but something Mick Taylor said in his voice over struck me as a little odd. Maybe it's just a manner of speech and absolutely nothing more which I presume is the case. When talking about the Hyde Park Concert in 1969 and his debut with the band, he referred to himself as "I remember him as being...." I'm sure that was Taylor's voice, and then I believed Charlie chimed in and said that he was very amusing and it was a joy having him, etc., etc. Sorry, but I can't remember this brief voice over verbatim, but it appeared that he was detached or disassociated from his younger, possibly more troubled, unhappy self. Just an observation, I probably got it all wrong..just have to watch it again, and see if I get that vibe.

Also, as a side note, CYHMK was played during the promos for the film "The Family." That's on MOD right now...don't know if the song is part of the film.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 12, 2014 08:31

After spending most of the day reading this thread on Sweet Summer Sun (I wasn't able to stay with the thread before due to illness) I wondered when I started reading which show each song was from. Many great people took the time here and elsewhere to make lists, listen to audience recordings etc... There were also comments on the different mixes between the video releases and the audio releases. Great works!

I wondered as I read did anyone put together a complete show from Sweet Summer Sun? We have great sound and like the LPs it would be nice to hear the concert straight though.

Then according to what I read there was a version of the song from one night on the audio releases and sometimes a different version from the other show on the video releases.

What I gathered was all audio releases have the same performances (same date) and all video releases have the same performance.

There were interesting notes on the different mixes.

One thing that is not clear from everything I read is about "Doom and Gloom." Was "Doom and Gloom" from two different nights on the audio and video releases? One listing seems to say that "Doom and Gloom" is a mixture of two different performances/nights.

I haven't compared anything myself. When comparing the audio and video releases, I assume everyone was comparing the audio from the audio and video releases. Are there that many variations as I have compiled from the list below? If so, then which do you think is the better performance?

Any help and comments are appreciated as I'd love to have the best tracks put together as one album. If these tracks are compiled, do you think there should be three Keith songs in a row or is "Before They Make Me Run" Better than "Happy" and "Happy" should be a bonus track. Should any song be cut for not being strong enough? Should any song be a Bonus Track?

Is there a version of Midnight Rambler that was released on "Sweet Summer Sun" that was not edited/cut?

Is "All Down the Line" and "Bitch" the only songs not released? Any guess as to why "All Down the Line" didn't make the final releases.

If the information I read is correct we have a few songs with different performances. What are the marker to show the differences? Which version is better?

Are these lists below accurate? Thank you for your help for all of the posts written, lists made, etc...

Start Me Up ---------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
It's Only Rock and Roll --------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Tumbling Dice ------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/06 Audio
Emotional Rescue -------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Street Fighting Man ------------------ 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Ruby Tuesday -------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Doom & Gloom ------------------------ 07/13 Video --- 07/06 Audio or mix of both nights
Paint It Black --------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Honky Tonk Women ----------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
You Got the Silver -------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/06 Audio
Before They Make Me Run --------- 07/06 Video --- 07/06 Audio
Happy ------------------------------------ 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Miss You --------------------------------- 07/13 DVD --- 07/06 Audio
Midnight Rambler --------------------- 07/13 DVD --- 07/06 Audio
Gimme Shelter ------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Jumping Jack Flash -------------------- 07/13 DVD --- 07/06 Audio
Sympathy for the Devil -------------- 07/13 DVD --- 07/06 Audio
Brown Sugar ---------------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
You Can Always Get ------------------- 07/13 Video --- 07/13 Audio
Satisfaction ------------------------------ 07/06 Video --- 07/06 Audio

07/06
Beast of Burden
Before They Make Me Run
Doom & Gloom
Jumping Jack Flash
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Sympathy for the Devil
Tumbling Dice
You Got the Silver

07/13
Brown Sugar
Doom & Gloom
Emotional Rescue
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock and Roll
Jumping Jack Flash
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Paint It Black
Ruby Tuesday
Start Me Up
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy for the Devil
Tumbling Dice
You Can Always Get What You Want
You Got the Silver

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 12, 2014 11:15

exilestones

Are these lists below accurate?

Regarding the Video: as latvianinexile already mentioned it before, the Video is a mixture of both days. Watch the Video with focus on Keith. Look at his 'Headband' - it's regularly wound with a knot on the left side on 13th July. On the 6th July it wasn't wound properly and has a tip at the right. Thereby you can see indeed, that almost the entire Video is a mixture of Stage-scenes from both days, except the songs from the 13th. Compare it to the Photos by gotdablouse: Pics HP#1 and Pics HP#2.

exilestones

I wondered as I read did anyone put together a complete show from Sweet Summer Sun?

I did it for myself, because I was at HP#2. I took the japanese Blu-ray and assembled the Videos in the order from the 13th. Now I have the Setlist from HP#2, but it's not the real Show because of the reasons mentioned above.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 15:35 by Irix.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 12, 2014 14:07

With regards to the video, I think every song has a mixture of both nights. I can see myself on both Midnight Rambler and Jumpin' Jack Flash, but I only went to HP #1.

Edit: sorry Irix, just read your post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 14:08 by Bastion.

Date: January 12, 2014 14:30

Bastion

What's wrong with it? confused smiley

The 1st List in exilestones' Post isn't accurate regarding the Videos, because the Videos described with "07/13" (apart from ER, SFM, RT, Happy) containing also Stage-scenes (I cannot compare the audience) from the 6th July. The beginning of 'Satisfaction' is from the 6th July, but you can also see Stage-Scenes from the 13th (look at Keith's Headband).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 15:10 by Irix.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 12, 2014 14:37

So has no one else had any trouble with the interlacing on the Blu Ray? Everyone's HD picture is fine? No jagged pixelation on fast movement?

I returned mine to amazon jp and am hoping if I wait a while the next batch of Blu rays will have it corrected.

Date: January 12, 2014 14:55

jammingedward

So has no one else had any trouble with the interlacing on the Blu Ray? Everyone's HD picture is fine? No jagged pixelation on fast movement?

No problems with the picture quality on my japanese Blu-ray (which is interlaced too). Maybe the described issues are caused by the 'Picture-Enhancement-Functions' of the TV / Display or BR-Player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-12 15:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 12, 2014 15:22

Irix
Bastion

The 1st List in exilestones' Post isn't accurate regarding the Videos, because the Videos described with "07/13" (apart from ER, SFM, RT, Happy) containing also Stage-scenes (I cannot compare the audience) from the 6th July. The beginning of 'Satisfaction' is from the 6th July, but you can also see Stage-Scenes from the 13th (look at Keith's Headband).

haha nothing! I just basically repeated what you said.

Date: January 12, 2014 15:45

Bastion

Bastion

Irix

haha nothing! I just basically repeated what you said.

Ahh, ok - I had it misunderstood then. You meant that you saw my Post too late ..... smiling smiley

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 12, 2014 21:42

DandelionPowderman
I enjoyed the 1999 version of Little Queenie, even though the 1969 version was better. Just saying...

I revere the '69 tour as much as anyone, but really? I think the 1997-'98 Queenies are a prime example of how the boys have grown in their blues/soul/rock&roll covers...

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 13, 2014 00:36

Irix
jammingedward

No problems with the picture quality on my japanese Blu-ray (which is interlaced too). Maybe the described issues are caused by the 'Picture-Enhancement-Functions' of the TV / Display or BR-Player.

Thanks, I tried mine on two different tvs so it could be my Blu ray player...

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 13, 2014 02:00

I saw it on Norwegian telly this christmas. "IOOR", "Doom And Gloom" and "Brown sugar" was great. "Happy" was trial of patience. "Jumping Jack Flash" was too laid back. "Satisfaction" was pathetic. Can`t these guys start playing some other songs after all these years?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 13, 2014 06:54

Thanks for all of the information. Very much appreciated. What I meant to ask is what audio do we have? Other than the mix, is the audio different from the audio releases (iTunes/CD) than the video releases (DVD/Blu-ray)? Which audio tracks do we have?

I am trying to figure-out what are all of the true soundboard tracks do we have from 2012-2013? Glastonbury, Newark and London is all I know about.

Then after I have list of all soundboard tracks from 2012-2013, then I'd like to figure-out (your help is greatly appreciated) which are the best tracks.

The real question is, "If you were going to put together a live album from 2012-2013, which tracks would you use?" What are the best tracks.

One thing for sure is that the songs change and mature during the tour. I saw the three US shows in 2012 and then a few shows in 2103. Philadelphia II and Washington DC were great! I notice there was more guitar work on "Doom and Gloom." "Doom and Gloom" was a more mature version June 2013 than it was in 2012.

"Brown Sugar" sounded excellent in DC n 2013. I loved it!. "Brown Sugar" and the old old chestnuts usually put me to sleep. I'm always interested in the new songs or different songs more than the usual songs.

"Worried About You" was a very mature version in DC and it was great!

I've heard many people say that the Stones were best in Philly II and DC. I also heard people say that Glastonbury was better than Hyde Park. What do you think.

Thanks for everyone's good Stones work! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the best audio soundboard tracks.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 28, 2014 07:03

I know.... you need another review of this film like you need another hole in your head. Well I have been putting off watching it until I had time to watch it in totality with some great beer. Belgian ales and a great cherry tobacco blend in my pipe and it's a great night. I really really wanted to like this film, but I can't...

Keith is mixed WAY too low. What in the world were they thinking! Bring him up! Midnight Rambler sounds weak because of the mix.

This film has the worst snare sound of all time. It sounds like a tom. No crack. No top end.

The kick is just a thud. Poor mixing.

The bass saturates the entire mix. It is way too loud. I love Darryl's playing but he is not the focal point of the band. It sucks the life out of the mix. Way too much 250-320Hz.

THE EDITING!!! It was butchered in post production! They had so many killer shots that get cut off after half a second in order to show some kid dancing in the dirt or a fan freaking out. I am all about celebrating and seeing the fans but frequently there is some stunned zombie behind the cute girl dancing.

Rack focus shots! Too freaking many!

Why does every single beautiful wide tracking shot also incorporate zooming???

The guys at Eagle Rock need to go watch Under My Thumb from Let's Spend The Night Together. Beautiful shots that hold for 10-20 seconds that let you the viewer sink into the experience. Those are missing shortly.

The Stones put on a decent performance but it feels without purpose. Extremely predictable setlist with Doom and Gloom being the best of the day/night.

Does anyone else feel like Gimme Shelter is the 'Lisa' song? Is there a contract that states she must get to sing the track X number of times or it's not a Stones tour? Don't they realize that she can sing ANYTHING! How about some classic soul tunes!

Ronnie is stellar. As always. For once we can hear all of his parts clearly. That is aside from the part in Brown Sugar when he is dancing but we hear his guitar from a different night playing great licks.

Charlie does a great job. Obviously it is not 1981 but he really does great for his age. Love the skip! I only wish the sound was mixed properly. So hard to enjoy his high hat snare interplay when it is mixed so badly.

Keith has some great moments throughout. Tough to be critical honestly. Such beautiful playing, he just doesn't seem very inspired. Happy should be Keith-focused but instead very little solo and lots of 'anything-but-Keith' shots.

Mick is great. Nuff said! I am still astounded that he has adapted so well to his age. Insane capability. Cheers Mick!

Chuck Leavell is someone I really want to like but never can. Such goofy playing. Midnight Rambler is not a 'happy' tune. Sassy piano licks are great for Live With Me etc, not Rambler.

I will never watch it again. Glad to have seen them in Chicago but will likely not revisit any gigs from this tour in the future.

I am still a hardcore fan just not impressed. Too stylized, too edited and mixed to turn the entire band into mush instead of emphasizing each instrument.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:12

flacnvinyl
I know.... you need another review of this film like you need another hole in your head. Well I have been putting off watching it until I had time to watch it in totality with some great beer. Belgian ales and a great cherry tobacco blend in my pipe and it's a great night. I really really wanted to like this film, but I can't...

Did you watch the DVD or the blu-ray. Blu-ray audio track is in 24bit/96kHz and sounds great.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:55

Bluray. My comments on sound are directly related to the actual mix. This is also a popular mixing trend. Handsome Girls sounds light years better than Live In Texas.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:05

flacnvinyl
Bluray. My comments on sound are directly related to the actual mix. This is also a popular mixing trend. Handsome Girls sounds light years better than Live In Texas.

I agree with you. The fact is Sweet Summer Sun mix is overly compressed. Still, the hi-res version sounds way better than the CD version. I wish they release it as a hi-res download like ABKCO did for their Live in England..

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:45

jammingedward
Irix
jammingedward

Thanks, I tried mine on two different tvs so it could be my Blu ray player...

Hello!
I had the same problems with interlacing, and jagged pixelation.
I complained to my local retailer 3 times, and each time I got a new Blu Ray disc of the show.
As there were no improvements regarding the pixelation I decide to switch off all the picture enhancement functions on my TV set (a high end Panasonic Plasma, VT-60) and it turned out right!

Still the overall quality of, Shine a Light, is better, but due to the fact that it is 1080p 24hz rahter than 1080i.

Regards!

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:35

Bellajane
I watched this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Rolling Stones are the elder statesmen of rock and now, at this point in their career, it's all about entertainment and having fun. There's nothing left to prove really...they've made it time and time again. My favorite period is the Mick Taylor Years. You simply cannot compare the energy and the rawness of the performances back then to now, but that would be patently unfair to expect that, anyway. On the way to work this morning I listened to my Philadelphia Special (1972) cd and it was awesome. Mick Taylor was phenomenal... but he was very good at Hyde Park...just didn't get enough of him!! It's thoroughly enjoyable watching summer concert films, expecially in the winter. We really need the sunshine and warmth right now. I particularly love watching the crowd, young and old enjoying the music. That blonde little boy dancing was precious. Having said this, I can't wait to see some videos from their 14 on Fire Tour..it will definitely warm the heart!

" I remember him as being "

That's Charlie speaking.

And yes, having seen the band in all live forms in Europe since 1973 - the Taylor band was the most forceful and sublime - they were just on whole higher level of intensity and excellence. Unsurpassable at their peak.

I don't know if anyone picked up on this, but something Mick Taylor said in his voice over struck me as a little odd. Maybe it's just a manner of speech and absolutely nothing more which I presume is the case. When talking about the Hyde Park Concert in 1969 and his debut with the band, he referred to himself as "I remember him as being...." I'm sure that was Taylor's voice, and then I believed Charlie chimed in and said that he was very amusing and it was a joy having him, etc., etc. Sorry, but I can't remember this brief voice over verbatim, but it appeared that he was detached or disassociated from his younger, possibly more troubled, unhappy self. Just an observation, I probably got it all wrong..just have to watch it again, and see if I get that vibe.

Also, as a side note, CYHMK was played during the promos for the film "The Family." That's on MOD right now...don't know if the song is part of the film.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 31, 2018 09:02

with sssoul
Title5Take1
I like Mick quoting Shakespeare after Doom and Gloom:
"Blow like sweet roses in the summer air." — LOVE'S LABOUR'S LOST
"And summer's lease hath all too short a date." — Sonnet 18

Those quotes puzzled me at the show. I can't shake the impression that the person entrusted to come up with an apt quote
googled too fast and thought those two lines were from a single work
("... and what poet starting with Sh did he mean??" "Damn, I forget! Well - how many can there be??" eye rolling smiley )

I love the Rolling Stones

Peter O'Toole reciting the above Sonnet 18 line here >>>[www.youtube.com] (at 20 seconds).

Question: Japan sweet summer sun
Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 5, 2023 11:37

I have a question about the Japan version of Sweet summer sun. Which version included all Japan bonustracks Tumbling Dice (video) and the audio of Happy, Beast of Burden, All down the line and Bitch?
And where can order this set if I live in the Netherlands?

Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Question: Japan sweet summer sun
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 5, 2023 12:05

This one. From Ward Records
VQXD-10071
EAN:4562387192458
[wardrecords.com]
It is out of print. And sold out.
The only way get it is second hand market.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 5, 2023 12:09

ironbelly
This one. From Ward Records
VQXD-10071
EAN:4562387192458
[wardrecords.com]
It is out of print. And sold out.
The only way get it is second hand market.

Thnx for your reply and answer

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 5, 2023 15:56

Anyone who purchased the Ward Records VQXD-10071 Sweet Summer Sun was eligible for a bonus CD in a DVD sleeve containing the tracks:
Japanese edition limited bonus
01. All Down The Line
02. Bitch with Gary Clark Jr.
03. Beast of Burden
The bonus CD in the original release contains only one track:
01 Happy (Thanks Ironbelly)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-05 16:16 by UrbanSteel.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556Next
Current Page: 55 of 56

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home