Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Side Two of Tattoo You
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 13:39

Spent week in hospital for dehydration when I was a kid ...
So I gotta make sure that don't happen again ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 3, 2013 13:46

I was getting there in Hyde Park. Luckily, the silly bar was close by..

Date: September 3, 2013 16:07

Munichhilton
Side two does have a better cover...

Sure...but you don't judge a book by its cover...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:37

Re the guitars on Friend. The part that that doesn't sound too Keith to me is the arpeggio during the verses (starting at 0.37).

Of course this means nothing, as Keith has played thousands of parts that don't sound like him. It reminds me of (a simplified version of) the arpeggio that is played on Time waits for no one (which could also be Keith, but I always assumed it was MT).

The intro riff could be anyone. It doesn't have odd accents or variations, and this is not very Keith. Take Worried about you (some stellar playing by Keith btw). No two verses are played the same way. Same if you listen to Keith's guitar parts on Angie (same age of the first take of Friend). Sure Keith is more recognizable on the overdub of the No Security version.

C

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:55

wanderingspirit66
Munichhilton
Side two does have a better cover...

Sure...but you don't judge a book by its cover...

Wait, there's a book?

Date: September 3, 2013 20:01

liddas
Re the guitars on Friend. The part that that doesn't sound too Keith to me is the arpeggio during the verses (starting at 0.37).

Of course this means nothing, as Keith has played thousands of parts that don't sound like him. It reminds me of (a simplified version of) the arpeggio that is played on Time waits for no one (which could also be Keith, but I always assumed it was MT).

The intro riff could be anyone. It doesn't have odd accents or variations, and this is not very Keith. Take Worried about you (some stellar playing by Keith btw). No two verses are played the same way. Same if you listen to Keith's guitar parts on Angie (same age of the first take of Friend). Sure Keith is more recognizable on the overdub of the No Security version.

C

It's only one guitar, and Keith is doing parts of what you are describing live in 1981.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2013 20:35

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 3, 2013 21:05

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

It's only one guitar, and Keith is doing parts of what you are describing live in 1981.

I know, but I still am not convinced.

Not once in 81 he plays the intro riff (it was Jagger's duty). Yes there are some arpeggios that might resemble the studio version, but they are more rough, and with Keith's typical TM timing and accents.

C

Date: September 3, 2013 23:13

He plays the opening riff in every version, but not as the opening of the song smiling smiley

The arpeggios are more or less the same, but the sound isn't...

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 06:51

No disrespect to your topic Mongoose because this has always been one of my favorite sides of an album too to be sure! The 70's were when the Stones ruled though don't you think? And I can't think of anyone else that's ever had the kind of power or sway or whatever you want to call it as what the Stones held over us all back in those wonderful much missed days. They were @#$%& great! And even though it was true that Keith couldn't play a solo like Page or Clapton or a dozen other guy's could in those days the Rolling Stones were who we wanted to see and listen to and no body else really much mattered.

PS. Much wine!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 06:56

Not to add to Woodite/Taylorite type taking sides, but I'd much rather see Sonny Rollins join the Stones on stage than Bobby Keys. (I saw Rollins live a few years ago and he was brilliant.)

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 5, 2013 11:21

treaclefingers
I recall being dismayed the first time I turned the vinyl over and played side two. ALL SLOW SONGS?!?!

Very quickly though this became an essential part of the catalogue for me, and amongst my favourite.

Same here! I bought the cassette in 1983, aged 14, and was initially underwhelmed by Side 2. But the songs, as a unit, took on a soothing, meditative quality especially when listening on my contraband Walkman as I swotted for exams. I used up a lot of batteries rewinding to "Worried About You" rather than plowing through Side 1. When I hear Side 2 today, I'm immediately transported to that strange time in my life.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2013 15:36

DeanGoodman
treaclefingers
I recall being dismayed the first time I turned the vinyl over and played side two. ALL SLOW SONGS?!?!

Very quickly though this became an essential part of the catalogue for me, and amongst my favourite.

Same here! I bought the cassette in 1983, aged 14, and was initially underwhelmed by Side 2. But the songs, as a unit, took on a soothing, meditative quality especially when listening on my contraband Walkman as I swotted for exams. I used up a lot of batteries rewinding to "Worried About You" rather than plowing through Side 1. When I hear Side 2 today, I'm immediately transported to that strange time in my life.

Wow....strange days indeed! Just read your stones 'bio' ( [www.deangoodman.com] )
I highly recommend reading this...you've led a very interesting existence!
I was also at the Vancouver show where you got married.

Anyway, just wanted to say very cool. Thanks Dean.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: September 5, 2013 16:58

I always thought this was the best

Date: September 6, 2013 02:14

Thanks, Treaclefingers, you are too kind! dg

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: September 6, 2013 05:13

Dean, I am a year older than you and loved your excerpt so much, I bought your book. I have only seen the Stones a mere 14 times when they came to NY starting in 89. You were probably at all my ny shows! I was also at Brooklyn last year and I agree with your assessment. smileys with beer

Date: September 6, 2013 18:39

I should admit there is no Stones content: hard to surpass Bill German for surreal personal experiences. I will send u a physical copy once I'm done.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: September 6, 2013 23:56

Not a problem...yes Bill German is very entertaining ( met the man and he is one of a kind). I enjoyed your writing style and access to the
inner circle in rock n roll....cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-06 23:57 by JerkyLittleGIJoe.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 7, 2013 19:47

Thanks for all the comments on this thread.

Glad to see that this one got some nice discussions going on!

Shameless Plug #4576 (but sort of Stones related, musically) - my band, The Amazing Mongooses, now has our second album out on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, and many more fine music downloading sites. Give us a listen, OK?

Cheers.....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home