Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pink Floyd and the Stones
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:42

As a 70s teenager, I have heard lots of Floyd without ever becoming a fan(atic). A bit to slick for me. But I'm currently reading a PF bio that mentions Mick and Stash (among others) from the Stones circle.

Any Stones connections to share? Thoughts on PF? Stonesrule, did/do you know these guys?

Re: Pink Floyd and the Stones
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:46

love pink floyd .dark side, wish you were here, animals , and the wall .truly masterpieces. my compliments to waters , gilmour ,wright, and mason .true pioneers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 30, 2013 17:55

Yeah, kinda a PF Big 4 - I like 'em just never went to that big fan stage. Heard these a lot as a kid, "Animals" was just a little too out there for me. Good info in this book about the legendary Syd too. Not knowledgable enough about PF to know about errors, etc.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 30, 2013 18:11

when did this book come out ?

Date: August 30, 2013 18:16

After the Live 8 gig. 2006 or 2007 is my guess.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2013 18:24

Elmo Lewis
I like 'em just never went to that big fan stage.

Same here. In fact, I have always loved their first album.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 30, 2013 19:05

Very good book... Like Elmo, I'm not enough of an expert to know about any questionable comments in the book but I do know I chose to read that specific book as many of the reviews by fans and critics alike were along the lines of: "If you're only going to read one book on Pink Floyd, read this one". As I only wanted to read one book about them, I ended up with that one and found it very informative and enjoyable. A good read.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 30, 2013 19:10

Syd Barrett was a huge Stones fan. The first songs he learned when he played dances in Cambridge were covers of Stones songs such as It's All Over Now. I think the Floyd might have covered I'm A King Bee by Slim Harpo.

It was reported that he would often play Dylan and Stones albums at his house in Cambridge.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 30, 2013 19:53

Silver Dagger
I think the Floyd might have covered I'm A King Bee by Slim Harpo.

They certainly did. I like the Barrett-era Floyd a fair bit, but I loose interest there after.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 30, 2013 20:15

Their first original song they recorded sounds a bit Stones-like.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 30, 2013 20:33

I love Pink Floyd as well as Rolling Stones but I've never heard of their collaboration.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 30, 2013 20:55

I only like Wish You Were Here (track)

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 30, 2013 21:26

Single Malt
I love Pink Floyd as well as Rolling Stones but I've never heard of their collaboration.

I don't think they ever did either, but certainly Mick and Stash were in the same Swinging London scene as Floyd in the late sixties, so no doubt they probably ended up running into each other at nightclubs etc.

Date: August 30, 2013 22:07

andrewt
Single Malt

I don't think they ever did either, but certainly Mick and Stash were in the same Swinging London scene as Floyd in the late sixties, so no doubt they probably ended up running into each other at nightclubs etc.

Yeah, that's what I meant, not musical collaboration. Partying together, etc.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 30, 2013 22:21

Elmo Lewis
andrewt
Single Malt

Yeah, that's what I meant, not musical collaboration. Partying together, etc.

Okay. That's what probably happened...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 30, 2013 22:34

Here's Ronnie playing with David Gilmour, among others.

Date: August 30, 2013 22:50

Cristiano Radtke

Saw that on TV - helluva line-up. Paul Rodgers is in great shape, but doesn't seem to know the words.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 31, 2013 12:38

I fully appreciate Pink Floyd. In my opinion, the band is by far the greatest act of the psychedelic -art rock and one of the four or five greatest bands in the entire rock history (i post the Stones at #1).

The Stones and Pink Floyd... I think both have inaugurated the era of stadium -rock. And (a coincidence) they did their biggest - in terms of attendance- tours, almost at the same time. In 1994-95.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 31, 2013 13:43

Elmo Lewis
Cristiano Radtke

Saw that on TV - helluva line-up. Paul Rodgers is in great shape, but doesn't seem to know the words.

thats a very cool version,...its cool to see Ronnie still havin fun playin his guitars

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 31, 2013 18:22

I was converted completely to them with Animals, still love it.
Saw the band in the 1994-95 era.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:09

laertisflash
I fully appreciate Pink Floyd. In my opinion, the band is by far the greatest act of the psychedelic -art rock and one of the four or five greatest bands in the entire rock history (i post the Stones at #1).

The Stones and Pink Floyd... I think both have inaugurated the era of stadium -rock. And (a coincidence) they did their biggest - in terms of attendance- tours, almost at the same time. In 1994-95.

Agree, along with Beatles, Zep, Dead and the Who - 6 greatest in rock history. What's your other picks?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 31, 2013 21:59

I am not too great an admirer of Syd era Floyd: some of their stuff is a bit too childish on Piper At The Gates of Dawn.

However, I love all their stuff from Saucerful through to Division Bell. Floyd without Roger Waters is an underrated entity.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 31, 2013 22:04

Some similarity between Stones TSMR album and Floyd's 'Piper' album in 1967 (but then, there was a lot of psychedelic stuff that year).

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 31, 2013 22:07

tomcasagranda
I am not too great an admirer of Syd era Floyd: some of their stuff is a bit too childish on Piper At The Gates of Dawn.

However, I love all their stuff from Saucerful through to Division Bell. Floyd without Roger Waters is an underrated entity.

Roger Waters was not on 'Division Bell' album or the one previous (only Gilmour, Mason and to some extent Wright).

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 31, 2013 22:19

David Gilmour is a huge fan of The Stones, although he slams the current state of the band. In this interview from 2006 he stated that "Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] should get a life ... I'm a big Stones fan but they haven't done anything that matches their earlier stuff in years."
[classicrock.about.com]

BTW, I think I've seen some photos of Gilmour right in front of stage in Hyde Park '69.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:12

2000 LYFH, my catalogue (let's say "top 10") does include, of course, the legendary bands you mention. But my #2 most favourite band is Creedence Clearwater Revival! Other historical bands i fully appreciate? Kinks, Jethro Tull, Velvet Underground, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Cream, Clash, Dire Straits. (Now you have a "top 15" list...)

PS : From the newer bands i like Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Primal Scream, Black Crowes and many others.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 1, 2013 09:51

We were en route to Pink Floyd concert in Baton Rouge early 70s & had to turn back due to mechanical troubles! We were bummed....sad smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:27

I just love Pink Floyd. So different than the Stones. Yet, just as joyful.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 07:36

Hey he wasn't wrong and there's nothing wrong with someone stating the obvious.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: September 7, 2013 12:40

The only Floyd I like is when Syd Barrett was in the band. He had a real unique style in all areas. The rest of their catalog is bland to me.
As for Gilmour, I think he's way overrated as a guitarist and he used a lot of Hendrix licks which he played in a sterile fashion. Technically alright and spot on, but not emotionally appealing nor tremendously creative. It sounds to me like he created a solo, then plays it the same for the rest of his life. Syd Barrett had a million times more passion as well as heart and soul in what he did.
I don't know what they did after Syd left, but I am not a fan with the exception of maybe Shine On.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home