Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A Look Back On Stripped
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 16:03

a great live album i would have to say the best after ya ya's. this got released in 1995 for the voodoo lounge tour. stripped being a play on the title unplugged its a fantastic album a pretty good mix of songs the spider and the fly being the best on it imo.the album is made up of studio sessions and 3 club shows the club shows are usally regarded as the best shows of the tour shows at the Brixton Academy In London the Olympia in Paris France and The Paradiso in Amesterdam. anyways i just wanted to remind everybody of stripped with all this talk of the brixton academy soundboard

01."Street Fighting Man" – 3:41 (live in Amsterdam on 26 May 1995)
02."Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan) – 5:39 (live in London on 19 July 1995)
03."Not Fade Away" (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin) – 3:06 (live in the studio in Lisbon from 23–26 July 1995)
04."Shine a Light" – 4:38 (live in Paris on 3 July 1995)
05."The Spider and the Fly" – 3:29 (live in the studio in Tokyo from 3–5 March 1995)
06."I'm Free" – 3:13 (live in the studio in Lisbon from 23–26 July 1995)
07."Wild Horses" – 5:09 (live in the studio in Tokyo from 3–5 March 1995)
08."Let It Bleed" – 4:15 (live in Paris on 3 July 1995)
09."Dead Flowers" – 4:13 (live in London on 19 July 1995)
10."Slipping Away" – 4:55 (live in the studio in Tokyo from 3–5 March 1995)
11."Angie" – 3:29 (live in Paris on 3 July 1995)
12."Love in Vain" (Robert Johnson) – 5:31 (live in the studio in Tokyo from 3–5 March 1995)
13."Sweet Virginia" – 4:16 (live in the studio in Lisbon from 23–26 July 1995)
14."Little Baby" (Willie Dixon) – 4:00 (live in the studio in Tokyo from 3–5 March 1995)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 16:09 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: A Look Back On Stripped
Date: August 29, 2013 16:19

It's up there with the best they ever did, imo.

The only lacklustre performances are Dead Flowers and Let It Bleed, imo. The rest is excellent. So are some of the songs on Stripped Companion.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:00

Top Live Album!

Feel proud to have 3 songs recorded in Lisbon, Portugal, the only ones in 50 years!

Love Stripped!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:01

Even though some individual tracks are stellar (and all-over rather high quality)I have never get used to the 'nature' of album. Pretty hard to call it as a "live album". A strange combition of real live tracks and then these studio tracks, which reflect the then popular "unplugged" concept, and I don't it works very well. I think the television version, including wonderful version of "Gimme Shelter" is - and works - better.

But still my favourite late-day Stones album, thanks to those surprisingly fresh versions of old songs (esp. "The Spider And The Fly", "Wild Horses", "Love In Vain"). Damn good "feel" in them. But they should have left Dylan's masterpiece alone, one of their worst artistic choices ever (and damn, they even made a video of it).

- Doxa

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:01

this cd should have had tracks of the club gigs cause the shows were very good tracks like gimmie shelter from pardiso,still a fool,down in the bottom and gimmie shelter is only on single cd.

Date: August 29, 2013 17:04

Doxa
Even though some individual tracks are stellar (and all-over rather high quality)I have never get used to the 'nature' of album. Pretty hard to call it as a "live album". A strange combition of real live tracks and then these studio tracks, which reflect the then popular "unplugged" concept, and I don't it works very well. I think the television version, including wonderful version of "Gimme Shelter" is - and works - better.

But still my favourite late-day Stones album, thanks to those surprisingly fresh versions of old songs (esp. "The Spider And The Fly", "Wild Horses", "Love In Vain"). Damn good "feel" in them. But they should have left Dylan's masterpiece alone, one of their worst artistic choices ever (and damn, they even made a video of it).

- Doxa

I don't disagree about it being a poor artistic choice. However, the rendition was excellent. In fact one of the best concert performances they ever have done, imo.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:12

The only recording where they played "Shine A Lightning" live! cool smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:16

Like Voodoo it sits in that odd 90's retro thing that was in during that time, but much of that stuff has a coldness and plasticity to it that I could never really get past.

This is around when I saw them at Wembley and I was left with similar coldness after that too.

Voodoo, 1995 Wembley concert and Stripped are the stones being pushed by Don Was to be something they were not at the time and are not now, that being The Rolling Stones circa their first ten years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 17:18 by His Majesty.

Date: August 29, 2013 17:17

As long as it sounds good...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 17:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 29, 2013 17:21

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

I don't disagree about it being a poor artistic choice. However, the rendition was excellent. In fact one of the best concert performances they ever have done, imo.

I agree that play it rather well, but I think that - that they play it well according to their own standards - actually shows how the song is "too big" for them to have anything to say of it, or even do some kind of justice to it. The song just loses its magic, and sounds like "any other" song; technically or formally okay, but no real substance. And I think recording a version of maybe the most important rock track ever, was a rather cheap shot - I'm looking for their version of "A Day In The Life" or "Hey Jude"...

I think it says a lot that there was some years ago a thread here at IORR of best Dylan's covers, and no one suggested this...

- Doxa

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:24

Rolling Stones Stripped
or
Eric Clapton doing Layla and Crossroads Unplugged?

The Stones!!!!

Date: August 29, 2013 17:26

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

I agree that play it rather well, but I think that - that they play it well according to their own standards - actually shows how the song is "too big" for them to have anything to say of it, or even do some kind of justice to it. The song just loses its magic, and sounds like "any other" song; technically or formally okay, but no real substance. And I think recording a version of maybe the most important rock track ever, was a rather cheap shot - I'm looking for their version of "A Day In The Life" or "Hey Jude"...

I think it says a lot that there was some years ago a thread here at IORR of best Dylan's covers, and no one suggested this...

- Doxa

I agree - but I had to point out how well they played it. And I've never heard an open G-tuned guitar sound so beautiful.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:30

All Down the Line, Stripped Companion, brilliant.

Date: August 29, 2013 17:30

triceratops
Rolling Stones Stripped
or
Eric Clapton doing Layla and Crossroads Unplugged?

The Stones!!!!

Clapton too fell in to the 90's retroism with From The Cradle.

Same coldness from that too.

It should be brilliant, but some how it just doesn't rise above it being some people in a studio playing music.

Date: August 29, 2013 17:32

But Dylan's "answer" is good though, even though he haven't released "Brown Sugar" officially...

- Doxa

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:47

I love Stripped. I wish I had its Companion. sad smiley

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 18:17

Aquamarine
You can find it here [bootleg-rambler.blogspot.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 29, 2013 18:18

this whole unplugged thing was such a flash in the pan so to speak thing ,that lasted a couple of years then faded out. what a load. some artists material in my mind does not translate that well to acoustic unplugged instruments .

Date: August 29, 2013 18:20

Godxofxrock9
Aquamarine
You can find it here [bootleg-rambler.blogspot.com]

Many thanks! Have to see how this works on my new computer when I get home, all my cunning devices for things like unzipping RARs don't work on my Mac but maybe I won't need them.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 18:42

open-g
The only recording where they played "Shine A Lightning" live! cool smiley

They released it on Shine a Light the deluxe version. Not a great version though, Stripped is much better.

Date: August 29, 2013 18:52

TheGreek
this whole unplugged thing was such a flash in the pan so to speak thing ,that lasted a couple of years then faded out. what a load. some artists material in my mind does not translate that well to acoustic unplugged instruments .

When it worked, sometimes magic happened, though, like Nirvana.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:09

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

I agree - but I had to point out how well they played it. And I've never heard an open G-tuned guitar sound so beautiful.

I think they got away with it because of a) the coincidence of their name check in the title, and b) it was a great version and a real crowd pleaser live.

Date: August 29, 2013 19:10

Aquamarine
TheGreek

When it worked, sometimes magic happened, though, like Nirvana.

Yeah, that was a good one!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:12

Aquamarine

It's great - love Memory Motel, among others. Try Hot Stuff section on IORR.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:16

14 tracks on the original album but at least 6 official b-sides available here and there :

All Down The Line
Black Limousine
Tumbling Dice
Gimme Shelter
Live With Me
It's All Over Now

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 29, 2013 19:29

Stripped is a great album! The 1st Stones album I ever bought.

Their version of Like A Rolling Stone is awesome! Killer video too! Damn all who dare say otherwise!! winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 29, 2013 20:56

Maybe this is another of those newer fans vs. 'classic' fans. I don't get much out of Stripped as a studio recording. I'm sure this would have made a great concert, but it would have required much smaller venues with much smaller gate receipts, therefore being off the Stones radar. Hearing them do these songs live would have been a treat. But they really pale in comparison to their original studio recordings. And they don't have their bass player by this time to give it that extra Stones sound.

As I said, live, it would have been great, and you don't notice the bass playing as much in a live setting. I still think the Stones version of Like A Rolling Stone is a joke. It illustrates how lost they were studio wise in the 90s. They seemed incapable of coming up with anything fresh that expanded what they've already laid down. I know some people aren't fond of Steel Wheels, but I just listened to it in the car and, to me, it's the last Rolling Stones album with that magic chemistry.

Date: August 29, 2013 21:06

What do you mean with studio, all the songs are live - either in the studio or on club stages?

How could the venues be smaller? In Toshiba Studios and in Portugal there were only a few people watching the live performances.

And Brixton, Olympia and Paradisio are hardly big venues...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:18

The live B-sides were great, although Gimme Shelter is not nearly as good as what would come out on NO SECURITY. Live With Me is great - yet it's a bit thuggish.

Without any doubt though Black Limo and All Down The Line are beyond awesome, as well as Tumbling Dice.

I didn't care for I'm Free. I agree Let It Bleed is not very good but I do like Ronnie's playing in Dead Flowers. SFM is beyond brilliant. Shine A Light is great, Spider is nice - Honest I Do is even better though!

I thought Wild Horses, as nice as it is, is a bit weak. Angie - well, there's just no help for that one.

Slipping Away is nice. Love In Vain is pretty nice - unfortunately it will always be compared to the YA-YAS version.

Sweet Virginia is excellent.

It's really too bad they haven't done a deluxe reissue of this album - a whole second disc could be included with all of the B-sides etc as well as what else is left. Obviously a second disc would be...

STRIPPED COMPANION
1. Honest I Do [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
2. Let's Spend The Night Together [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
3. No Expectations [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
4. Beast Of Burden [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
5. Memory Motel [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
6. Let It Bleed [ Toshiba Studio Sessions, Tokyo, March 03-05 ]
7. Tumbling Dice [ Backstage Rehearsals - Olympia, Paris - July 2, 1995 ]
8. Gimme Shelter [ Paradiso, Amsterdam - May 26, 1995 ]
9. Live With Me [ Brixton Academy, London - July 19, 1995 ]
10. Black Limousine [ Brixton Academy, London - July 19, 1995 ]
11. All Down The Line [ Paradiso, Amsterdam - May 27, 1995 ]
12. Dead Flowers [ Paradiso, Amsterdam - May 27, 1995 ]
13. Shine A Light [ Paradiso, Amsterdam - May 27, 1995 ]
14. Sweet Virginia [ Brixton Academy, London - July 19, 1995 ]
15. Rip This Joint [ Brixton Academy, London - July 19, 1995 ]

[bootleg-rambler.blogspot.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:25

For those that haven't heard or looked or don't know here are some...

Honest I Do

LSTNT

No Expectations

Beast Of Burden

Memory Motel

All Down The Line

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home