Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Mick: 'Get On Up' film & HBO TV series
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 5, 2014 10:22

Whenever did a film's popularity or success start being judged by the size of its afternoon audiences? confused smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 5, 2014 10:39

Isn't summer off-season for movies? At least it is here in Sweden. Anyway movies are mostly for kids these days. Music documentaries about musicians older than their grandparents
aren't going to draw lots of kids to the cinemas. These kind of films always have a limited target audience. I remember when I saw SAL at the local cinema. We were four people in the audience.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 5, 2014 18:37

I plan on seeing the movie this weekend, looking forward to it.

I do know someone who is a James Brown fanatic who saw it and said he couldn't get over the fact (according to him) that they switched around the characters of the alto and tennor sax players. He said to him it was like seeing a movie about the Stones where Bill played guitar and Brian played bass.

...if it's true, then I'm glad I didn't know the players as I don't want to let something like that ruin a movie for me.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 5, 2014 19:12

proudmary
ZantiMisfit
I predict the final tally in the U.S. will be around $25 million. In the U.S., films make most of their box office numbers the first weekend, then drop off dramatically.

Well, you're wrong. To say about the low-budget movie that it bombed while it took third place in the box office - it's just bias. The film made half of its budget in the first weekend, they are excellent results, especially for the film not designed for teenagers and without any big star
btw - except USA there are other places on Earth, did you know that?

What in that prediction was a knock on the film? That's the way it goes here, and the US is obviously where it's going to make the bulk of its money.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2014 19:19

Beast
Whenever did a film's popularity or success start being judged by the size of its afternoon audiences? confused smiley

Never said that. just said it was a shame more people weren't there. In my mind it was a great movie so in my eyes it a success.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 5, 2014 19:21

Beast

Ahh......who said that. People just commented that they were surprised there weren't more people there.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 5, 2014 19:23

I saw the movie this past weekend. I would give it 3 stars. The guy who played JAmes Brown was really good. Oscar worthy in my opinion. I admit I loved James Brwons music but didn't know a lot about him . I actually don't want to know about performers lives to much. What I see from themn on stage and hear is enough for me. But it was interesting to see the ups and downs of this mans life. I think they tried to balance the movie with his greatness and his demons as well. Plus I am pretty sure some of it was BullS*** but hey thats the movies. Mick Jagger was credited with the performance's and he did a treffic job of. The sound was great and it looked real. So kudos to him for that.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 6, 2014 03:00

Saw the movie this afternoon, and it was actually a respectably-sized audience for a weekday afternoon, plus they were really into it, sang along, etc. I think I was the only white person there. I'd give the movie a 3.5 out of 5--great performances, and music, of course, but a bit clunky in places, and I'm not sure how well the structure worked. But well worth seeing, I'd recommend it.

Regarding the four Stones watching JB at the TAMI show, btw, I wasn't even sure which four they were supposed to be (except Mick), so none of them need feel slighted!

P.S. Forgot to add major kudos to the person who did the wigs! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-06 03:03 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: August 6, 2014 03:46

Saw the movie today and loved it. Nice and loud! Thought everyone did a great job. My James Brown collection only consists of most of his live albums. I think I might have a compilation somewhere. Again, great movie!

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 6, 2014 03:49

Saw it as well. Average at best.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2014 04:12

Stoneage
Isn't summer off-season for movies? At least it is here in Sweden. Anyway movies are mostly for kids these days. Music documentaries about musicians older than their grandparents
aren't going to draw lots of kids to the cinemas. These kind of films always have a limited target audience. I remember when I saw SAL at the local cinema. We were four people in the audience.

Exactly the opposite in North America. That's when the movies really make their money. Second is the Christmas releases.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 6, 2014 05:29

Yes. All movies down with few ex epitome. However, this film only cost 30 million so it will make some money as it grossed 14 million so far.

Date: August 6, 2014 06:18

StonesCat
proudmary
ZantiMisfit
I predict the final tally in the U.S. will be around $25 million. In the U.S., films make most of their box office numbers the first weekend, then drop off dramatically.

Well, you're wrong. To say about the low-budget movie that it bombed while it took third place in the box office - it's just bias. The film made half of its budget in the first weekend, they are excellent results, especially for the film not designed for teenagers and without any big star
btw - except USA there are other places on Earth, did you know that?

What in that prediction was a knock on the film? That's the way it goes here, and the US is obviously where it's going to make the bulk of its money.

This kind of film rarely makes it huge at the box office. With that said, if there is any truth to Oscar buzz about the lead actor, that could translate into some additional mileage. As well, lots of money to still be made after it's out of theatres.

By comparison, the movie RAY, made $75 million in the US, $50 million overseas on a $40 million budget:

[en.wikipedia.org])

I'm sure that was considered an unqualified success. I'm sure they'd be thrilled with 1/2 that total take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-06 06:21 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: August 9, 2014 15:03

Saw the film last night and thought it was excellent. Besides the lead actor, who did a fantastic job, I loved the way it jumped around timewise with all the flashbacks showing what happened as a child that made Mr. Brown the man he was. Excellent film and highly reccomended.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 14:49

Date: August 14, 2014 17:44

Strange, there seems to be an echo in here. grinning smiley

Brstonesfan

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2014 19:33

Saw GET ON UP last night. It was good, not great; the focus was on his drive to become what he was. His ego was clearly out of control. The music was given a lot of room, which was nice. It got the point across it was about the music, which, ha ha, helped drive the ego to get the plane, change the promotional attitude, get that money. But his central motivator, at least in the movie, was the music.

It was a bit long though. At times I felt myself wanting to nod off. Chadwick Boseman was awesome though. He did an incredible job. Fantastic.

Date: August 16, 2014 04:41

hmmm...sounds like it's something I should look for on Netflix at the appropriate moment.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 16, 2014 05:00

Dd you notice in the TAMI show scene they showed four Rolling Stones? FOUR! No Bill. Will the revisionism and abuse never stop? I am sure they could have found a guy to stand there who looked as vaguely like Bill as the guys who looked vaguely like Mick, Keith, Brian, and Charlie.

Date: August 16, 2014 05:14

71Tele
Dd you notice in the TAMI show scene they showed four Rolling Stones? FOUR! No Bill. Will the revisionism and abuse never stop? I am sure they could have found a guy to stand there who looked as vaguely like Bill as the guys who looked vaguely like Mick, Keith, Brian, and Charlie.

Mick is 'sticking it' to Bill for being an arse after the 2012 show.

Date: August 16, 2014 05:20

treaclefingers
71Tele

Mick is 'sticking it' to Bill for being an arse after the 2012 show.

He was arse before that, cropping him out of band pictures. Shameless.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: August 16, 2014 23:54

You didn't hear the story about Bill at the t.a.m.i show? Didn't get to meet James and almost missed the show! He was out talking photographs of girls legs....

Date: August 17, 2014 00:22

OCarol
You didn't hear the story about Bill at the t.a.m.i show? Didn't get to meet James and almost missed the show! He was out talking photographs of girls legs....

Really? No, I didn't.

Date: August 17, 2014 00:26

71Tele

Yes this was talked about early in the post. You have to remember what ever you think of Bill. he quit the band. I guess Mick and Keith will never let him forget.

Date: August 17, 2014 05:47

How could you all identify which four they were supposed to be? I saw four young guys standing there and it took me a minute to realize they were supposed to be the Stones--none of the actors looked like any of them. I guessed the one we saw the most of was supposed to be Jagger, but really, any of the others could have been any member of the band.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 17, 2014 07:24

Aquamarine
How could you all identify which four they were supposed to be? I saw four young guys standing there and it took me a minute to realize they were supposed to be the Stones--none of the actors looked like any of them. I guessed the one we saw the most of was supposed to be Jagger, but really, any of the others could have been any member of the band.

"Keith" had a horrible black wig on...

Date: August 17, 2014 16:43

alieb
Aquamarine

"Keith" had a horrible black wig on...

Nobody looked like the 4 Stones other than Mick from a distance. I think it might of been Jaggers humor to do that purposely for a laugh for himself.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 17, 2014 16:51

Saw it two weeks ago, like the fact that the movie was about James Brown and his music, not just about Mr. Brown.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 17, 2014 17:04

No Bill here...or Charlie for that matter....

Date: August 17, 2014 17:12

OCarol

that joke would have killed had you done a spell check before posting.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home