Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar Players: SFTD solo
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 24, 2013 15:12

Help please from any guitar players out there...

What key is SFTD in for the purposes of soloing - is it E or B?

I'm a bit confused...the chords are E D A B which doesn't quite fit either.

Any help much appreciated. Sorry if it's a dumb question!

confused smiley

Re: Guitar Players: SFTD solo
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 24, 2013 15:27

The Chords are E D A E Only going to the B for "Please to meet you" part (then back to E and repeat once more).

I'm not really a guitar player, but I'm pretty sure any garden variety pentatonic scale solo in E will work just fine. That's why its always so befuddling as to why Keith seems to struggle with it so.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: August 24, 2013 20:59

Soloing will be in the key of E. Keith and Mick both use the pentatonic scale over E-D-A, while Mick also uses the mixolydian scale when the band plays the E chord. Taylor plays the G# note (mixolydian scale) and that gives it a more melodic feel.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 25, 2013 02:29

E

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2013 05:48

Unless you're Keith in Miami in 1994 - then it dips into E flat (or D sharp, whatever your preference is).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 25, 2013 06:11

tomcat, this guy's pretty good :-

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2013 12:38

Big Al
tomcat, this guy's pretty good :-

So much wrong with the opening licks though.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 13:17

[www.iorr.org] ---->SFTD.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 18:49

classical blues scale in E fits well.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 25, 2013 19:02

E blues scale with accidentals to follow the chords as needed.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2013 21:12

dadrob
E blues scale with accidentals to follow the chords as needed.

Accidentals are key. peace

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 23:12

blues scale : E G A B D
accidentals : Bes ?

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: August 26, 2013 00:29

blues scale : E G A B D
accidentals : Bes ?

Blue notes?

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: August 26, 2013 01:02

I saw something very interresting lately, it was a outtake from the move One plus One, and it was Brian and Nicky Hopkins jamming togehter in the studio with Brian playing acoustic and Nicky Hopkins improvising a solo on the Hammond with it. And lo! and behold it was Nicky that was playing the exact solo that Keith played (later?) on SFTD. Go figure that.

Date: August 26, 2013 01:11

thabo
I saw something very interresting lately, it was a outtake from the move One plus One, and it was Brian and Nicky Hopkins jamming togehter in the studio with Brian playing acoustic and Nicky Hopkins improvising a solo on the Hammond with it. And lo! and behold it was Nicky that was playing the exact solo that Keith played (later?) on SFTD. Go figure that.

Yah sure about that? It's not just footage from the released film?

Where did you see this?

Date: August 26, 2013 01:27

Yes I am sure about this, I saw it on a video docu on Youtube, but don't know which one it was anymore (I thought it was the part one of the Taylor years, but just checked it and it wasn't on that one, so I don't know where I saw it but I definetly did) It might be on the movie, however if it is I must have noticed it before, so I doubt it.

Date: August 26, 2013 01:38

Nicky playing the exact solo Keith played later is not in the film and the only footage outside of the film that are known about are of the fire starting in Olympic Studios.

Please find this video you saw. smiling smiley

Date: August 26, 2013 01:43

Yes I am trying, I thought it might have been the last episode of the Brian Jones years, but that one is not on Youtube (anymore?). Damn this is frustrating.

Date: August 26, 2013 01:44

I'd like to hear Nicky start off the way Keith did grinning smiley

Links, or it didn't happen...

Date: August 26, 2013 01:50

With respect, I'm thinking you've just mis remembered a bit and the footage is from the film, but isn't quite as you recall.

I would like to be wrong because that would be some mighty cool footage if it is as you say.

Date: August 26, 2013 02:02

His Majesty
With respect, I'm thinking you've just mis remembered a bit and the footage is from the film, but isn't quite as you recall.

I would like to be wrong because that would be some mighty cool footage if it is as you say.

Yes you are right and I just found it it is on the video "The Rolling Stones the second wave" (which is from the movie), and seeing it back it isn't what I thought I had heard. My apologies for my overactive imagination.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: August 26, 2013 02:46

thabo
His Majesty

Yes you are right and I just found it it is on the video "The Rolling Stones the second wave" (which is from the movie), and seeing it back it isn't what I thought I had heard. My apologies for my overactive imagination.

Isn't the whole solo on this song an interplay, or call and response between Nicky Hopkins piano and Keith's guitar?? And if the bit with Nicky on the organ is from the first recordings than it is not so far stretched to say that at least the outlines of the guitar solo were inspired by Nicky Hopkins. I do recall Ry Cooder also blaming Keith of copying his contributions in the studio, and it could explain some of Nicky's rancune against the Stones in later years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home