Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fogerty/Mellencamp tour
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2005 19:31

These two are supposed to tour the States together this summer. As one who has seen them both, this should be a great show and reasonably priced. Fogerty was excellent last fall in Atlanta. Good match of talent.

Re: Fogerty/Mellencamp tour
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 20, 2005 19:37

Mellencamp is nowhere near Fogertys talent.
Never understood the succes of Mellencamp

Date: April 20, 2005 19:53

It's a short list of the people who have the songwriting talent of Fogerty.

Date: April 20, 2005 20:15

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a short list of the people who have the
> songwriting talent of Fogerty.

That's true.

Date: April 20, 2005 22:33

Last fall, Fogerty played a good mix of classics, rarities, and new stuff. While he doesn't jump around, etc., he really seemed to be having a great time (smiling, talking to the audience, etc.). Mellencamp is a high energy performer though, and does have some good songs. I think this will be an excellent pairing.

Date: April 20, 2005 22:51

I saw Fogerty a month ago. Excellent show.

I guess Mellencamp is something only Amercians will like and the obvious exceptions. He was never that big in Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-20 22:51 by BowieStone.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 00:28

I'm a huge Mellencamp fan. I highly recommend his Greatest Hits CD that came out late last year. Perhaps his music is geared more towards a North American audience. Out of curiousity, for readers outside of North America, are The Eagles big in your country? They're popular in Canada but I think they're really popular in the States. Their Greatest Hits CD is the biggest seller of all time in the States now.

Date: April 21, 2005 00:33

I think for most europeans... The Eagles = Hotel California. Period.
I never hear them on the radio, I never read news about them.

Their greatest hits album sold about 28 million copies in the US and the worldwide sales of that album are about 35 million, I guess.
Now, Thriller sold 27 million in the US and 59 million worldwide. I guess that shows that The Eagles have mostly an American audience.

Date: April 21, 2005 10:37

Listen to "The Lonesome Jubilee". It's a killer album by Mellencamp. Haven't heard more than a couple of other records by him though.

Posted by: jss ()
Date: April 21, 2005 12:25

"i've had a bad day and i hate the f**kin' eagles man." -jeff lebowski

that pretty much sums it up over here

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: April 21, 2005 12:43

Sounds like a great ticket!
I really like Mellencamp from Scarecrow and onwards. For the last 20 years I think he has made good records. He has developed his songwriting skills through the years. What strikes me the most, is his ability to put different musicians together and always come up with some of the best American rock&roll. His guitarplayers are always tremendous and they all seem to know the Rolling Stones-guitarbook very well, breaking down the barriers between rythm- and leadguitars.
Recommended listening:
Lonesome Jubilee
Whenever We Wanted To (The track "So Tough" is very Stones-inspired (cowbells, rough guitarriffs).
Big Daddy (Martha Says is a standout track)
Naked (he had a hit with his cover of Van Morrisons "Wild Nights")
Trouble No More (Very nice covers of some highlights in modern American music, including blues, soul and country)

He also made a standout-track (only guitars, drums and vocals, no bass, almost like the Stones on "Had it With you" DW) on the Bob Dylan-initiated Jimmie Rodgers-tributealbum. Really something to check out.

Cheers,
Gunnar

Posted by: marston ()
Date: April 21, 2005 13:16

PLease post when tix go on sale

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: April 21, 2005 14:41

Eagles are being called one of the greatest live concerts ever on this tour of theirs here in America. Quite frankly, when Keith comes on stage in the beginning, there is more excitement than the 1st 5 Eagles songs put together. As for Fogerty/Mellencamp...both beat the Eagles as well. Don't feel bad about not getting the Eagles in Europe...consider yourselves fortunate.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: April 21, 2005 15:05

Have to speak out in favour of all three acts. Mellancamp evolved into a great songwriter and performer in the mid/late eighties and has fought the music industry almost his whole career to put out his music and not what the record execs told him to. Thanks John for not selling out. The music of the eagles, ccr (fogerty), and mellancamp his wholesome americanized music that quite frankly I would not expect the stuffy shirts in Europe to appreciate. I will not argue that it's pretty much been a cash-grab as far as the Eagles are concerned over the last ten years but their shows have been fantastic for those who can afford them and their harmonizing is second to none in my opinion. You can have your genesis, queen, yes, etc. over on your side of the pond but for me great music lies in the continuation of the great blues players and songwriters from yesteryear and I believe these acts accomplish just that, as well as our beloved Stones and others as well.

Date: April 21, 2005 16:08

On a Stones-related note, the Eagles recorded a song on On The Border called
"My Man" about the late Gram Parsons. It features some of the b-bender guitar that Gram helped invent.

P. S. Gram is a great, ironic name for a junkie!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:03

Mellencamp was cool on his 2001 tour when he opened with "Gimme Shelter." His band used a violin to cover the Lisa Fischer vocal part.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 21, 2005 20:53

I saw Mellencamp once in the early 90's and he was very good. I always thought his first few albums had a very Stones-like sound. The songs Play the Guitar and a few others which I can't think of had very bluesy guitar riffs.

Date: April 21, 2005 22:12

"Serious Business" from Uh-Huh sounds like an open-g guitar.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: April 21, 2005 22:51

Mellencamp's 'Get a LEg up" is very, very stonsey.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 22, 2005 00:19

I would love to see this combo!!!

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: April 22, 2005 09:07

"Mellencamp is nowhere near Fogertys talent.'

You're right, he's miles ahead.

Fogerty was amazing as a writer for a four year period.
Mellencamp has been kicking butt for more than quarter of a century.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 22, 2005 15:09

Who gives a shit about the Beagles? I mean come on!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: April 24, 2005 12:00

i'm disappointed to see so many posts on this. Fogerty I respect, but Mellencamp can go stab himself with a rusty blade, repeatedly, and frequently. John Mellencamp is one of the many MANY reasons I have completely stopped listening to FM radio. smiling smiley
Drake

Date: April 26, 2005 16:54

Sorry, drake, but he has quite a bit of good songs. Maybe it's an American thing, as those outside the US don't seem to get him (or Springsteen). Also, monkey man, Fogerty's new stuff is better than 99% of the crap that's out there now.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 1, 2005 09:41

Like I said, I respect John Fogerty. His solo work + CCR is classic material which most people enjoy. I know alot of people who feel the same about Mellencamp but I could care less. My beef is not with Fogerty, its with Mellenhead. Jack and Diane sucks. Its a shitty irritating song. BTW, I'm from KY (US).

Posted by: Parachute Man ()
Date: May 1, 2005 10:46

Come on drake.. I guess that the only song you heard from John Cougar is Jack & Diane, it's a great song but you're right it's a big hit and they play it too often on fm radio.

Of all John Cougar albums "Scarecrow" is my absolutely favourite and I don't think JCM is just an American thing, btw does anybody know if he is on his way to Europe on this tour?
Kenny Aronoff played the drums with Fogerty on his Sweden tour earlier this year.. right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home