Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Largest 60's Crowd?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:11

DGA35
Just wondering what would be the Stones biggest concert in the 60's while Brian was still playing with them? Not sure if they played any stadium shows back then? I know that when they played Vancouver in 65 and 66, they played the Forum and Agridome, both holding around 4000.

they did play some stadium shows, albeit smaller stadiums.

The 1966 US Tour kicked off at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma. for example.
On the same tour they played Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York and Winnipeg Stadium and in 1967 the European tour ended with a show at Panathinaikos Stadium in Athens.

By 1966-67 the shows in North America and continental Europe were regularly taking place in arena sized venues and (as in the above cases) stadiums which would have had arena sized capacities.

They were actually playing arenas in the US as far back as their first tour in June 1964, although attendances were a bit underwhelming to say the least.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:41

1965 Berlin Waldbühne. Open place - more than 20.000 fans.
The young Stones were fascinated and very impressed. A gig to remember . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 01:41 by CousinC.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:55

In Yyteri Beach Midsummer Festival (Finland) 1965, there was said to be 11 000 people (though I have heard different numbers as well). But some people have claimed that most of them were actually watching a local tango orchestra in a different stage...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 01:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:07

Altamont obviously

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:09

Bashlets
Altamont obviously

Read the first sentence/question.

smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:46

Even without Brian, was Altamont more than Hyde Park? Seen so many different estimates for both? Seen Hyde Park at 250k up to even 500K!
At this point, the 20k in Berlin is the most so far!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:10

Gazza
DGA35
Just wondering what would be the Stones biggest concert in the 60's while Brian was still playing with them? Not sure if they played any stadium shows back then? I know that when they played Vancouver in 65 and 66, they played the Forum and Agridome, both holding around 4000.

they did play some stadium shows, albeit smaller stadiums.

The 1966 US Tour kicked off at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma.

Manning Bowl capacity was 21,000.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:21

21k capacity but did they draw that many? Winnipeg Stadium was mentioned here earlier and it can hold 30k for football but I doubt they drew anywhere near that back in 66. I'm even wondering if they actually played Winnipeg Stadium as opposed to the 10k Winnipeg Arena which has been torn down now?
They played Maple Leaf Gardens earlier and even though that held around 16000, I've seen pics of that show and there was nowhere near that amount there.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:34

Don't know what it was in 1966, but the current seating capacity of the Hollywood Bowl is listed as 17,376. Forrest Hills Tennis Stadium was probably close to that, maybe 16,000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 03:35 by tatters.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 22, 2013 03:40

It's ironic that by the time of the 1969 tour (with Mick Taylor) the Stones finally achieved the status to earn via larger arenas that Brian Jones wasn't around to witness it (or play with the band). A pity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 03:41 by nightskyman.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:03

Maybe Longleat in '64?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:09

In North America, it looks like it's between the Bowl, Forest Hills, the Montreal Forum, and Maple Leaf Gardens. Most other arenas at that time held between 8,000-14,000.
The Manning Bowl says it used to hold 21,000? From the video of it's last days I'm posting below, it looks like it can barely hold 10,000. Then again, appearances can be deceiving. And who knows how many tickets were put on sale.

Date: August 22, 2013 04:34

tomk
The Manning Bowl says it used to hold 21,000?

Yes, according to Wiki, and also according to bloggers excerpted below who are from Lynn, Massachusetts, and who were also actually there at the concert. It was their only Boston-area show on this tour, and one of only two shows that tour in all of New England.

An interesting footnote: The Beatles were also considering playing the Manning Bowl on their '66 tour, so it must have had the above-mentioned capacity, but because of the riot that occurred at the Stones concert, they chose instead to play at Suffolk Downs racetrack just one town to the south (in Revere).

Here's a video showing a poster advertising the show. As is noted in the clip (from 5:01), tickets were available through ticket agencies in Boston and Cambridge, a coffee house, and five area bowling alleys--but no record stores.

In the blog page that features this video, one responder tells of someone he knows who was at the show:

"I live in Malden, MA which is a couple towns away.. but my dad grew up in Lynn. He was 13 when the Rolling Stones played Manning Bowl in 1966. He’s told me about the show many times over the years and how huge it was considering the Stones were relatively new to the U.S at the time. Your YouTube video was really informative, interesting, and added a lot to what I know about the show. Thanks!

FYI: Manning Bowl was torn down in 2004 and replaced with a smaller football stadium. It was, however, HUGE in terms of capacity for a high school stadium, it fit 20,000+ people."

--Matt

Video and blog reply at: [blog.postercentral.com]

Here's another blog message from the "Former Lynners" message board, a woman who recounts her experience of the Manning Bowl concert and of how during the riot she was nearly blinded by the tear gas and caught up against the Stones limo in the mad rush of fans--the Stones actually had to push her out of the limo and back into the crowd, which she was leaning halfway in at the time....

"Hi all,
I'm the infamous Cathie Stamos that "Still in Lynn" mentioned on her
posting about the Stones concert. I'm new to the group, although a
couple of my closest friends are already members (Hi Sheryl & Sue).
Knowing that I saw the Stones at Manning Bowl, Sheryl forwarded me
the website that is selling this poster. There is one problem w/this
poster--the Stones did not play in Lynn on 6/2/65. The Stones played
at Manning Bowl on June 24, 1966. I was there, right in the thick of
things - right up front, and it was in 1966 not 1965. The fact that
this other poster has the venue listed as "Lynn H.S. Football Field"
is sketchy by itself....I mean, has anyone ever heard of Lynn H.S.
Football Field? There isn't even a Lynn H.S....just Lynn Classical,
Lynn English, Tech, St. Mary's, etc. The football field has always
been known as Manning Bowl. In addition, the backup bands on this
poster were not the same bands that opened for the Stones in 1966.
The bands in 1966 were The McCoys (Hang on Sloopy), The Standells
(Dirty Water), The Tradewinds (New York's a Lonely Town When You're
the Only Surfer Boy Around {I think that was their only hit song}).
I have asked around and no one remembers this 1965 concert. Hell, I
know I would have been there. My brother says no....1966 was the
only time they played there. Also, I think had they played in 1965,
the Lynn Police would have had a clue how to handle a concert
crowd. There were wooden horses, and I counted 11 police officers
in front of these wooden horses trying to hold back the crowd. (A
nice cop actually let me squeeze between two of the wooden horses and
stand in front of him w/a clear shot to the stage which was about 15
feet in front of me. I was getting crushed and I had to promise not
to run up to the stage. There was no one between me and the stage.)
The Lynn Police had no idea about concert crowd control, hence their
dropping tear gas (boy did that kill my eyes, blinded me, black
mascara running down my face) to disperse the crowd. I have many
original articles and photos (including my infamous photo, which by
the way was not of me trying to get into the limo, but me face to
face w/a Lynn Cop as the wooden horses and crowded came crumbling
down behind me. I did end up bent over, leaning on my belly halfway
through the back window of the limo-I was halfway in and the Stones
had to push me back out against the crowd that was behind me)...."

Full blog message at: [groups.yahoo.com]

Date: August 22, 2013 04:43

fyi, the other New England concert on the 1966 tour, in Hartford on June 27, was before just 8,000....

Full details at: [articles.courant.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 22, 2013 05:03

stonehearted
fyi, the other New England concert on the 1966 tour, in Hartford on June 27, was before just 8,000....

Full details at: [articles.courant.com]
]

Interesting clip, Stonesheart. I'm not trying to one-up you, I'm just trying to answer the original question. The city of Lynn's website regarding the gig puts the attendance at 8,000. The passage of time being what it is probably puts the attendance between 8,000 to 15,000 perhaps. It says they've drawn as high as 23,000 for events. As I said, appearances can be deceiving as the place looks rather small. Anyway, the restoration they did looks good.

[www.ci.lynn.ma.us]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2013 06:01

nightskyman
It's ironic that by the time of the 1969 tour (with Mick Taylor) the Stones finally achieved the status to earn via larger arenas that Brian Jones wasn't around to witness it (or play with the band). A pity.

they were absolutely big enough to play them before 1969.

The essential difference was that in 1969 the audience listened instead of screaming throughout the performance.

Plus they were for the first time touring with a sound system that was more appropriate for an arena than a ballroom.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 22, 2013 07:05

They also played the old Boston Garden on the Fall '65 tour, as well as Maple Leave Gardens and the Montreal Forum - those had to be 15,000+ easily. Whether or not they sold out, of course, is another matter entirely.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 22, 2013 07:22

Doxa
In Yyteri Beach Midsummer Festival (Finland) 1965, there was said to be 11 000 people (though I have heard different numbers as well). But some people have claimed that most of them were actually watching a local tango orchestra in a different stage...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yep, I've seen estimations that 10 to 15 000 attended the show at Pori. No-one knows the real amount...

Date: August 22, 2013 10:01

Single Malt
Doxa

- Doxa

Yep, I've seen estimations that 10 to 15 000 attended the show at Pori. No-one knows the real amount...

Heh, taken how famous the show was - it is a big part of Finnish rock - and culture - history now; the first time a high profile long hair act in Finland (well, there actually was only The Beatles and the Stones at the time) - it nowadays looks like half of the nation of certain age were there... Even though that is not true (not much extra money among the teenagers then), it was a big event, and seemingly very many was at least aware of it. There were lots of newspaper, radio and tele reporting of it (and of band's arrival, etc,), and the whole show actually was shown in television (of which only a small part has survived).

Funnily, even Keith Richards remembered the show 23 years afterwards, and was able to describe the landscape in Yyteri Beach accurately in an interview...

- Doxa

Date: August 22, 2013 10:07

Doxa

- Doxa

Footage from that gig was posted here earlier, no?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 22, 2013 10:27

Remember that playing stadiums in the 60s was very different than today. When Beatles played Shea fans were only in the stands not on the field! Same with the Stones, so you have to take away a couple of thousands viewers when compare to today's standards.

Date: August 22, 2013 10:52

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yes, actually two of them, the survived bit of Finnish national television show, plus the private silent film in color, which is here:

[www.youtube.com]

P.S. What do I do wrong, since I can't make my clips to be seen any longer here?confused smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 10:54 by Doxa.

Date: August 22, 2013 10:56

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yes, actually two of them, the survived bit of Finnish national television show, plus the private silent film in color, which is here:

P.S. What do I do wrong, since I can't make my clips to be seen any longer here?confused smiley

- Doxa

Sometimes, there's an "s" in the "http:"--so when you see "https:", just drop the "s" and the frame will show.

Date: August 22, 2013 11:08

Thanks stonehearted!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Re: 1960's Rolling Stones questions and wonderings
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2013 14:33

Hmmm this has bern merged. thumbs down

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 22, 2013 16:25

Another merge?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 26, 2013 10:54

Brian, when & where did you first know your band was really taking off into zones beyond your wildest dreams? How'd that make you feel? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:02

Any pics of Keith's pet junkie?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:26

owlbynite
Brian, when & where did you first know your band was really taking off into zones beyond your wildest dreams? How'd that make you feel? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You may not get an answersmoking smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:22

Gazza
nightskyman

they were absolutely big enough to play them before 1969.

The essential difference was that in 1969 the audience listened instead of screaming throughout the performance.

Plus they were for the first time touring with a sound system that was more appropriate for an arena than a ballroom.

True about the sound system...
however, the Beatles performed a sold out concert at a then huge Shea Stadium packed with teen fans (what was it, at least 65,000) in August, 1965. It was considered the largest ever for a pop group performance up to that time. The sound system didn't matter for the Beatles.

I don't think the Stones were quite as big enough as the Beatles to pull something like that off.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home