Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Happy 70!
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: August 17, 2013 21:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-17 21:50 by JJackFl.

Re: Happy 70!
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 00:27

if this is today's pictures celebrating robs deniro's birthday?

Then this is so nice.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 18, 2013 00:51

This photo appears to have been taking some time ago, 2012 or 2011, when Keith showed up at an award ceremony. See the gold thingy he's holding in his left hand? It was some achievement award he was given a while back.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 00:53

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 18, 2013 02:30

Funny, NoCode...Godfather 2 is on AMC right now, they're doing a marathon today.

One of my few brushes with fame...I stood next to DeNiro once. He's a short, little guy. Wish I'd had the nerve to say something.

Happy Birthday, Mr. DeNiro!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 18, 2013 02:46

Here's a neat story...

About 20 years ago, a charming older friend of ours was visiting her son in NYC. She'd just come from the airport and was trying to negotiate the cab & her bags. In the lobby, a man offered to help her. He carried her bags up to her son's apartment. When her son greeted her, she told him that she just wanted to give the nice young man a tip. The fellow insisted it wasn't necessary. She thanked him & when he left, her son exclaimed that the nice young man was Robert DeNiro.smoking smiley

Date: August 18, 2013 03:12

Very nice story, memphiscats!

Date: August 18, 2013 04:17

latebloomer
Funny, NoCode...Godfather 2 is on AMC right now, they're doing a marathon today.

One of my few brushes with fame...I stood next to DeNiro once. He's a short, little guy. Wish I'd had the nerve to say something.

A Godfather marathon or DeNiro marathon? I don't like the way AMC normally (not always, but often) does their Godfather marathons. Rather than show the 3 movies they always show that "The Godfather Trilogy: 1901–1980" version, where the entire trilogy is presented as one long movie in chronological order. So the movie begins with the death of Vito Andolini in 1901 and all the flashbacks before progressing through the rest of the 3 films. It's really stupid and ruins the second film entirely. It's really stupid.

Date: August 18, 2013 04:45

NoCode0680
latebloomer

A Godfather marathon or DeNiro marathon? I don't like the way AMC normally (not always, but often) does their Godfather marathons. Rather than show the 3 movies they always show that "The Godfather Trilogy: 1901–1980" version, where the entire trilogy is presented as one long movie in chronological order. So the movie begins with the death of Vito Andolini in 1901 and all the flashbacks before progressing through the rest of the 3 films. It's really stupid and ruins the second film entirely. It's really stupid.

Don't think they spliced it that way NoCode, cause they went from Michael in Cuba to Vito killing Fanucci, then back to Cuba. I bailed after that, but I think it's a Godfather marathon.

Date: August 18, 2013 04:58

latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer

Don't think they spliced it that way NoCode, cause they went from Michael in Cuba to Vito killing Fanucci, then back to Cuba. I bailed after that, but I think it's a Godfather marathon.

OK, then they're showing them the right way. If they were showing "The Godfather Trilogy: 1901–1980" the Fanucci killing would take place in like the first 20 minutes and Michael going to Cuba would have been 3 hours or so later.

I was just reminded of the first time I saw Part II. I hadn't even seen the first one, but I decided to watch it on HBO one night back when I was 10 or so. The main thing I remember is that HBO did a 20 minute Intermission during the movie, which I haven't seen done before or since. They just played the soundtrack over a picture of Michael and a 20 minute countdown timer.

Date: August 18, 2013 05:09

NoCode0680
latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer

OK, then they're showing them the right way. If they were showing "The Godfather Trilogy: 1901–1980" the Fanucci killing would take place in like the first 20 minutes and Michael going to Cuba would have been 3 hours or so later.

I was just reminded of the first time I saw Part II. I hadn't even seen the first one, but I decided to watch it on HBO one night back when I was 10 or so. The main thing I remember is that HBO did a 20 minute Intermission during the movie, which I haven't seen done before or since. They just played the soundtrack over a picture of Michael and a 20 minute countdown timer.

The Godfather got me in trouble in middle school. My teacher sent me to the office after seeing me reading the book in class. They didn't think it was appropriate for an 11 year old, so they called my Mother. She said if I got it from home, then it was fine. I got to read a lot of interesting books that way. grinning smiley

Date: August 18, 2013 06:04

latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer

The Godfather got me in trouble in middle school. My teacher sent me to the office after seeing me reading the book in class. They didn't think it was appropriate for an 11 year old, so they called my Mother. She said if I got it from home, then it was fine. I got to read a lot of interesting books that way. grinning smiley

Did you like the book? I didn't care for it. All that crap about Lucy and her oversized vagina hanging out with the doctor in Vegas, and constantly describing the snot problems Michael had after the altercation with McCluskey, kinda took me out of the story.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: August 18, 2013 06:32

DeNiro will be in panama next month for the shooting of Roberto Duran story.
He plays the role Ray Arcel, Duran's trainer.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 18, 2013 07:56

latebloomer
Thanks latebloomer!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 18, 2013 08:30

stonehearted
This photo appears to have been taking some time ago, 2012 or 2011, when Keith showed up at an award ceremony. See the gold thingy he's holding in his left hand? It was some achievement award he was given a while back.

Here's the source of the picture - Keith getting that silly "brass balls" award a couple of years ago:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2013 13:03

AMC have been showing the Godfather films in original versions (albeit heavily edited for TV). GF2 is 4.5 hours with commercials! Thankfully they're not showing the version where 1 & 2 were put together in chronological order. Was a bad idea. That messed up the integrity of GF2, which I think was a better movie than GF1. An American cinema masterpiece. Notice I'm not mentioning GF3. Haha.

Date: August 18, 2013 13:26

Date: August 18, 2013 13:39

Date: August 18, 2013 15:10

NoCode0680
latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer
NoCode0680
latebloomer

Did you like the book? I didn't care for it. All that crap about Lucy and her oversized vagina hanging out with the doctor in Vegas, and constantly describing the snot problems Michael had after the altercation with McCluskey, kinda took me out of the story.

I don't remember being bowled over by it, but I was very young. I DO remember the Lucy part, which I am sure is one of the reasons my teacher thought it was not an appropriate book for a youngster to read. In general, I think the book doesn't get great reviews. It's one of the rare cases where most people agree that the movies are much better than the original book.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 18, 2013 15:19

memphiscats
latebloomer
Thanks latebloomer!

He's clearly not a nice young man...I've seen him kill loads of people..once even with a baseball bat...sheeesh

Date: August 18, 2013 15:36

latebloomer
I don't remember being bowled over by it, but I was very young. I DO remember the Lucy part, which I am sure is one of the reasons my teacher thought it was not an appropriate book for a youngster to read. In general, I think the book doesn't get great reviews. It's one of the rare cases where most people agree that the movies are much better than the original book.

Yeah, I can't think of many books that were actually outdone by the movie, but it's not unheard of. The Godfather, Jaws and The Shining are a few that come to mind.

crholmstrom
AMC have been showing the Godfather films in original versions (albeit heavily edited for TV). GF2 is 4.5 hours with commercials! Thankfully they're not showing the version where 1 & 2 were put together in chronological order. Was a bad idea. That messed up the integrity of GF2, which I think was a better movie than GF1. An American cinema masterpiece. Notice I'm not mentioning GF3. Haha.

It was a bad idea, Coppola's idea believe it or not. It was made for NBC by Coppola in the 80s' (and later when 3 came out tacked that on also), and sold as a mini-series to raise money for "Apocalypse Now". It amazes me he would butcher his own films like that, I don't even think George Lucas would tear up one of his films like that. But the WHOLE POINT of GF2 is the juxtaposition Vito and Michael, showing where and how the son goes wrong and doesn't measure up to his father. If all you have are the 1958 scenes you'd still have a pretty good movie, and an interesting series of events, but has the entire theme of Michael's moral decline compared to Vito's strength of character removed. Which is kind of the whole point of the movie.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2013 15:41

NoCode0680
latebloomer

Yeah, I can't think of many books that were actually outdone by the movie, but it's not unheard of. The Godfather, Jaws and The Shining are a few that come to mind.

crholmstrom

It was a bad idea, Coppola's idea believe it or not. It was made for NBC by Coppola in the 80s' (and later when 3 came out tacked that on also), and sold as a mini-series to raise money for "Apocalypse Now". It amazes me he would butcher his own films like that, I don't even think George Lucas would tear up one of his films like that. But the WHOLE POINT of GF2 is the juxtaposition Vito and Michael, showing where and how the son goes wrong and doesn't measure up to his father. If all you have are the 1958 scenes you'd still have a pretty good movie, and an interesting series of events, but has the entire theme of Michael's moral decline compared to Vito's strength of character removed. Which is kind of the whole point of the movie.
totally agree!smileys with beer

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 17:50

memphiscats
Here's a neat story...

About 20 years ago, a charming older friend of ours was visiting her son in NYC. She'd just come from the airport and was trying to negotiate the cab & her bags. In the lobby, a man offered to help her. He carried her bags up to her son's apartment. When her son greeted her, she told him that she just wanted to give the nice young man a tip. The fellow insisted it wasn't necessary. She thanked him & when he left, her son exclaimed that the nice young man was Robert DeNiro.smoking smiley

Nice to read,thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home