Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. Allen Lanier of Blue Oyster Cult
Date: August 15, 2013 06:26

Original Blue Oyster Cult keyboard/rhythm guitar player Allen Lanier passed away yesterday. Such a great underrated band

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-15 12:59 by keefriffhard4life.

Re: OT: R.I.P. Allen Lanier bass player of Blue Oyster Cult
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 15, 2013 07:46

Yeah, I just heard about this. Huge loss, and he was a great musician. One example that springs to mind is his piano playing on Jim Carroll's Catholic Boy album, especially on I Want the Angel:

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 15, 2013 09:51

keefriffhard4life
Original Blue Oyster Cult bass player Allen Lanier passed away yesterday. Such a great underrated band

Hi keef - Allen played keyboards and rhythm guitar not bass in Blue Oyster Cult. Very sad news. I'm sure Patti Smith will be very upset as they were an item in the mid 70s. Saw them quite a few times around this time whenever they came to London. A really great band. RIP Allen.

Date: August 15, 2013 09:58

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life
Original Blue Oyster Cult bass player Allen Lanier passed away yesterday. Such a great underrated band

Hi keef - Allen played keyboards and rhythm guitar not bass in Blue Oyster Cult. Very sad news. I'm sure Patti Smith will be very upset as they were an item in the mid 70s. Saw them quite a few times around this time whenever they came to London. A really great band. RIP Allen.

sorry i'm a big fan of B.O.C. too. the press release i read had him mentioned as the bass player but i checked and he doesn't play bass. funny thing the only article i can find that says he played bass is the first one i saw

Date: August 15, 2013 12:18

Maybe out of respect to him you could change the thread title.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 15, 2013 12:23

Saw them several times in the 70's when I was in high school. They always put on a good show & there were several good albums. A show a few years ago was still enjoyable but Allen was definitely missed. RIP

Date: August 15, 2013 13:00

Silver Dagger

done. like i said no clue how that slipped past me or the editor of that article for that matter. i just listened to SECRET TREATIES last week too

Date: August 15, 2013 13:07

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

done. like i said no clue how that slipped past me or the editor of that article for that matter. i just listened to SECRET TREATIES last week too

Secret Treaties is such a great album. Dominance And Submission, ME 252, Astronomy - all absolute stone classics.

Re: OT: R.I.P. Allen Lanier of Blue Oyster Cult
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 15, 2013 13:34

r.i.p. it was the end of july and there was a show on VH1 that had buck dharma on from BOC and i was thinking of all of the albums and shows back in the seventies.good band .

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 15, 2013 13:39

I saw him with Blue Öyster Cult in a good concert in 1993.

RIP Allen Lanier

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 15, 2013 17:10

Silver Dagger
[I'm sure Patti Smith will be very upset as they were an item in the mid 70s.

They were indeed. In addition, Lanier co-wrote and played on "Elegie," the last song on Horses, while Smith wrote lyrics for some BOC songs like "Career of Evil" from Secret Treaties.

Date: August 15, 2013 17:26

loog droog
Silver Dagger

They were indeed. In addition, Lanier co-wrote and played on "Elegie," the last song on Horses, while Smith wrote lyrics for some BOC songs like "Career of Evil" from Secret Treaties.

And she wrote lyrics for Vera Gemini on Agents Of Fortune.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 15, 2013 17:57

We were talking about BOC here just recently. I'm a huge fan -- agree with Silver Dagger about "Secret Treaties" but even their later albums always had some stellar tracks. Lanier was sort of their connection to the mid/late 70s NYC scene via Patti Smith and all that. Accordingly he developed a nice heroin habit -- I know his health caused him to leave the touring band a few years back but don't know the details nor does it matter. He contributed to some great music with his keyboards and second guitar. In the Soft White Underbelly he wrote a lot but dried up in the BOC days. Nonetheless he came up with these two tracks -- sort of off the BOC grid but I love them.

True Confessions

In Thee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-15 17:57 by Wry Cooter.

Date: August 15, 2013 19:07

Lanier was pretty devoted to Patti. He stayed with her and nursed her back to health after she took that fall off the stage in '77 and messed herself up. She wore a neck brace for a couple of months.

Her rising back from that near-death incident is why she called her next album "Easter."

I never heard "In Thee" before, but I read that it was his farewell to Patti, who left him for and eventually married Fred Smith of the MC5.

Sounds like a Gary Lewis song to me.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: August 15, 2013 20:14

Secret Treaties is an all-timer. BOC a much underrated band with an incredible musical dynamic and lyrics I think only the band understood. I vaguely remember a note on the Secret Treaties album that noted you could send away to the band for the album's lyrics. This, of course, was pre-Internet.

Date: August 15, 2013 21:11

MrHappy
Secret Treaties is an all-timer. BOC a much underrated band with an incredible musical dynamic and lyrics I think only the band understood. I vaguely remember a note on the Secret Treaties album that noted you could send away to the band for the album's lyrics. This, of course, was pre-Internet.

Right. I did that, and received an envelope jammed with (then) blue computer paper, with holes along the edges that had lyrics from their albums printed out. Pretty stark.

BOC also had their own logo, which was kind of mysterious, sort of an upside down question mark with sides. A story about them in CREEM talked about them being badgered by a Jewish activist who claimed that it was some sort of coded proxy for a swastika.

Look at the artwork on Secret Treaties...they seemed to be going for some sort of unexplainable mystique.

Date: August 15, 2013 21:21

Silver Dagger
loog droog
Silver Dagger

She also wrote the lyrics for the great ballad Debbie Denise on Agents. I didn't even realize it until I read the credits last night to see if Allen had co-written the song. He didn't, but did contributed a beautiful keyboard part.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 15, 2013 21:53

Silver Dagger
loog droog
Silver Dagger

Vera Gemini - haven't thought about that one for awhile, but it's a great song, with Patti adding vocals, too. Will have to dig out the old lp tonight and give it a spin in memory of Allen

Date: August 15, 2013 21:55

andrewm
Silver Dagger
loog droog
Silver Dagger

She also wrote the lyrics for the great ballad Debbie Denise on Agents. I didn't even realize it until I read the credits last night to see if Allen had co-written the song. He didn't, but did contributed a beautiful keyboard part.

And the fifth Beatle - Murray The K - co-wrote This Ain't The Summer Of Love on that album.

Date: August 15, 2013 22:05

Silver Dagger

And the fifth Beatle - Murray The K - co-wrote This Ain't The Summer Of Love on that album.

Great song. It was originally done by noted rock writer Don Waller--who in '76 was writing for LA fanzine Back Door Man-- with his group the Imperial Dogs. I didn't know Murray had a hand in it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 15, 2013 22:13

sad smiley

-RIP
Allen
Lanier

Thank you for the great music you gave us, you will live forever through it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 15, 2013 22:27

Saw BOC in the early 80's in Orlando at "The Rock Super Bowl" with UFO, Firefall, Cheap Trick, and Heart.

Dave from Molly Hatchet joined BOC onstage for a rocking version of "Roadhouse Blues" and they had that great robotic Godzilla that breathed fire behind the stage. One of the BOC guys rode a Harley onto the stage. Lots of fun ......

Date: August 15, 2013 22:46

loog droog
Silver Dagger

Great song. It was originally done by noted rock writer Don Waller--who in '76 was writing for LA fanzine Back Door Man-- with his group the Imperial Dogs. I didn't know Murray had a hand in it.

Yeah, the Imperial Dogs version is pretty great and quite different from the later BOC version. I didn't realize either that Murray Krugman was Murray the K. That seems strange. Anyway, the BOC version basically changes the verses, musically and lyrically, and retains the chorus.

Date: August 15, 2013 22:47

I could be mistaken, but I believe the co-write for the marvelous "This Ain't the Summer of Love" goes to BOC co-producer Murray Krugman (along with vision-man Sandy Pearlman), not Murray the K, whose last name was Kaufmann. They did have some pretty cool lyricists -- Pearlman, Patti Smith, Helen Wheels, Michael Moorcock, and the great R. Meltzer.

Glad to see Allen and the amazing Blue Oyster Cult getting some love today.

Date: August 15, 2013 23:39

You're right, Wry, that the credit is Murray Krugman. I didn't bother to check Silver Dagger's Murray the K claim but it definitely seemed odd. Yeah, they used some great lyricists. It's funny that Meltzer the iconoclast wrote something like Burning for You. I love that song but it's pretty conventional, lyrically, by his standards. Mind you, "time to play b-sides" is a great line.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 15, 2013 23:42

Wry Cooter
We were talking about BOC here just recently. I'm a huge fan -- agree with Silver Dagger about "Secret Treaties" but even their later albums always had some stellar tracks. Lanier was sort of their connection to the mid/late 70s NYC scene via Patti Smith and all that. Accordingly he developed a nice heroin habit -- I know his health caused him to leave the touring band a few years back but don't know the details nor does it matter. He contributed to some great music with his keyboards and second guitar. In the Soft White Underbelly he wrote a lot but dried up in the BOC days. Nonetheless he came up with these two tracks -- sort of off the BOC grid but I love them.

True Confessions

In Thee
Love True Confessions. Agents of Fortune is a terrific album all the way around. But all anyone remembers is DFTR.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 16, 2013 17:23

UGot2Rollme
Silver Dagger
loog droog
Silver Dagger

Vera Gemini - haven't thought about that one for awhile, but it's a great song, with Patti adding vocals, too. Will have to dig out the old lp tonight and give it a spin in memory of Allen

Allen wrote the music and Patti wrote the lyrics for Kimberly too:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-16 17:24 by seitan.

Date: August 16, 2013 20:31

Kimberly is my favorite Patti Smith song -- forgot about that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home