Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 67
Re: OT: Paul McCartney - "New" album and other Macca stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:07

Yes the Stones have become stale, there's no denying that.
In fact I opted to see them only once on the Zip Code tour as I realized one would be enough - and indeed it was.
For the record, I saw them six times during the 50/Grrr tour, but all were within driving distance. The farthest I went was Vegas (a six hour drive from home), but Vegas is Vegas and has much more to offer than just a Stones show so it was worth the journey.And the main reason I even went to six shows was the promise of seeing Mick Taylor with them, and although his presence was minimal he was indeed the highlight of every show - especially Staples II. Going back to ABB tour, I saw them maybe 10 times and was even able to see them in Nijmegen, Netherlands (a long way from home) as our travel plans coincided with the show - although we did make a special detour in our itinerary for that. Going back to Licks '02/'03- I saw them so many times I lost count, but it was at least 20 times. From Los Angeles to Stockholm and alot of places in between. Theaters (Stockhom Cirkus, Vredenberg, Astoria, et al), arenas (Staples, Wembley, SECC, et al), and stadiums (Ajax, Twickenham, Pac Bell,et al). There was so much variety during that tour regarding venues and setlists that there was never really a dull moment, although I admit I did become slightly jaded towards the very end.

With all that said, the Stones have become a family tradition, and if they come back to California I will no doubt pay to see them - but once will be enough.
They're like the County fairs that come to town once a year - even though you know what to expect, there's something about them that keeps you coming back.
Perhaps there will be one new rollercoaster to ride, or one new type of food to eat (deep-fried pickles, etc. ha), but everything else remains the same.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:14

I like your analogy Hairball. There has been a decrease in number of shows every tour for me too. Ironically Licks was my big tour also with 15 shows. Although I'm a big Beatles Fan I only saw Paul 3 times on any tour and Ringo twice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:22

Yes frankotero I'm also a huge Beatles fan, and have only seen Paul twice.
First time about 10 years ago at MGM Vegas (thought it was ok), and more recently at Dodgers stadium in 2014 which was absolutely GREAT!
Never have seen Ringo, but never really had the urge to do so...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:27

Hey those County Fair concerts have been of a better quality in the last few years. More name acts are on the circuit and something for everyone.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:27

Recent Stones setlists have been completely not worth even looking at... That said, I am sure the shows are still a joy. I love the show, yes, it has pretty much been all the same show for the last 10 years, but I still enjoy it. I'll go to another show if they come around. Hopefully after a new album. ABB was not special, but I am still hoping the next one will be. I always enjoy the first listen, anyway! Kudos to Macca, Springsteen and others for putting in the greater effort and variety in every show. That said, you just can't criticize a rock and roll band touring in their 70's. We are lucky the Rolling Stones are not long gone... There's a new album coming... Keep the faith. Worst case scenario, it's not that good. So what?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:32

I have seen Paul 3 times and Ringo once.

Some of Ringo's early All Starr Bands were excellent - just check the other players and see if they're to your liking.

I saw him with Joe Walsh, Nils Lofgren, Burton Cummings, Todd Rungdren (sp.?), Timothy B. Schmidtt (sp.?), and Zak Starkey. Damn good band and lots of variety - Of course, Ringo doing Beatles and solo stuff, but a couple of songs by each of the others.

Where else are you gonna get "Rocky Mountain Way", Bang The Drum", "American Woman", and "A Little Help From My Friends" by the original singers in a 2 hour show?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 18, 2016 18:35

I really like the song "New" from New.

Sounds like Paul channeling Cheap Trick aping the Beatles playing a Beach Boys song - all in a good way.

The ending sounds like Paul aiming for a similar ending to "God Only Knows". He is an admitted freak for Pet Sounds.

Date: March 18, 2016 18:42

Ringo is playing in the area in June, I've never seen him, is it a good show?

Date: March 18, 2016 18:47

Tate
That said, you just can't criticize a rock and roll band touring in their 70's. We are lucky the Rolling Stones are not long gone... There's a new album coming... Keep the faith. Worst case scenario, it's not that good. So what?

I hear ya, but yes you can criticize them. Everyone tours into their 70's. Even bands with one member remaining. Too many with members still fighting for whatever reasons. If they can tour they can play. My feel good dollars are all dried up. I don't like to pay for spoiled food. I expect it to be fresh, yet familiar to my eye and memory.

Date: March 18, 2016 19:41

Elmo Lewis made a very good point about seeing Ringo. Sometimes you get more out of the rest of the band, funny enough I guess. My favorite was with Jack Bruce and Peter Frampton. Damn that was a rocking time. All of Ringo's tours are nice but that one sticks out for me. Todd Rodrung (can't spell it) and Joe Walsh was a good second. Back to Paul, absolutely love this band of his. They're both great and entertaining. Can't wait until 28 May in Dusseldorf. My favorite German Beer is there too. Uerige if anyone knows it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 19, 2016 05:51

I saw Ringo's first Allstar tour with Billy Preston, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Clarence Clemmins, and I can't remember who was on bass! In Michigan at this outdoor venue called Pine Knob. It was incredible! Everyone was so into it. HE opened with It Don't Come Easy and the entire place blew apart. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Circles, Nothing from Nothing, it was a memory lane night of amazing music everyone knew like their own DNA. Great show.

Date: March 19, 2016 10:10

Wow, you're lucky. The first Ringo tour in Europe was in 92? Anyhow, that's when I saw him. He doesn't come over very often. But it's nice when he does.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 19, 2016 19:51

I've seen Paul three times (which, as much as I loved all three shows, is probably enough, at today's concert prices), George once (1974, with Ravi Shankar), and Ringo once.

So, I guess I've seen three fourths of the Beatles!

(And half of Led Zeppelin: Robert Plant three times, and John Paul Jones with Them Crooked Vultures. Sure wish Jimmy Page would finally come through with this "oh, yeah, I have a new album and new tour happening in the next several months" routine that he has been doing now for, what, about 12 years?)

As for Ringo, GO see him, you will have a good time. It's a big "sing along," always with some great musicians in the band. My concert had Rick Derringer, Gary Wright, Edgar Winter, etc., so there is always good music to be performed.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 24, 2016 20:07

I'm taking this with a grain of salt: Headline:"Not To Be Outdone By Keith Richards, Paul McCartney Joins ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean 5’"

I have no idea if this is true or satire or ... or ...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 25, 2016 09:35

It's true.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 06:22

Read at theprovince.com website that Paul will be in Vancouver filming his part for the new Pirates movie next month. He's doing 2 concerts in Vancouver on the 19th and 20th so there's talk that he'll be rehearsing in town, too, since his tour starts a week or so earlier in California.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:09

Another show anounced todsy : Prague 16 June

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 29, 2016 16:20

The Sicilian
Tate
That said, you just can't criticize a rock and roll band touring in their 70's. We are lucky the Rolling Stones are not long gone... There's a new album coming... Keep the faith. Worst case scenario, it's not that good. So what?

I hear ya, but yes you can criticize them. Everyone tours into their 70's. Even bands with one member remaining. Too many with members still fighting for whatever reasons. If they can tour they can play. My feel good dollars are all dried up. I don't like to pay for spoiled food. I expect it to be fresh, yet familiar to my eye and memory.

Extremely well put! You've convinced me. I will still enjoy hearing the new album, though. Some might liken live the experience to aged wine rather than spoiled food, but when the songs are all 20, 30, 40+ years old, they do get stale, especially as the vocal range diminishes and the guitar playing is compromised.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 30, 2016 22:12

Does anyone know if Paul has an opening act for his upcoming tour? I'm going to the first Vancouver show and it starts at 8pm.

Date: March 30, 2016 22:16

He usually does not have an opening act.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 31, 2016 00:09

DGA35
Read at theprovince.com website that Paul will be in Vancouver filming his part for the new Pirates movie next month. He's doing 2 concerts in Vancouver on the 19th and 20th so there's talk that he'll be rehearsing in town, too, since his tour starts a week or so earlier in California.

Yes I heard he's going to be in the Pirates 5 film.
OUT goes Keith
IN comes Macca

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 31, 2016 09:26

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 31, 2016 10:10

whitem8
He usually does not have an opening act.

Last year in Eurrope he had a useless DJ "opening"...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 31, 2016 11:01

Yes, there is some pre-show activity. I suppose it's to keep us from getting bored.

Date: March 31, 2016 11:49

All I remember was a montage of snippets of songs from his whole career - about 15-20 minutes in total length, played round in a continuous loop. They were mostly, if not all, songs he didn't do live.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 31, 2016 12:01

I've seen him 3 times (but not for more than 10 years) & he's never had an opening act. He does a long show. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 31, 2016 13:09

frankotero
Yes, there is some pre-show activity. I suppose it's to keep us from getting bored.

(I'm old... the years in the following yarn may be wrong...)

Paul toured the USA in (I think) 1990. I heard gruesome tales from friends of the scenes in the pre-show video. Things like an elephant being electrocuted etc. All in a Good Cause (the video that is), but grim all the same.

When it came to the European leg of the tour we got tickets for our 7 year old but I was worried about how to deal with the pre-show video.

So I wrote to Paul. (At the time I had an address that work to his staff due to other reasons).

I posted the letter on a monday.

On the friday morning before I left for work the postman rang the doorbell with a package for me. It was from Paul's office, it had a tape of the pre-show video, and a message on a comp slip... "See for yourself".

Neat.

(It worked. We watched the video, timed the bits where eyes had to be averted, and our daughter was instructed when to look away ahead of events.)

So, her second ever concert was 10-15 rows back from the front at a McCartney show. Her first was, of course, The Rolling Stones.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 31, 2016 17:49

Wow. Result! You've brought her up the right way Cap'n smiling smiley I guess she's early 30s now.

Paul did a World Tour in 89/90, reaching these shores in early 1990 I think. Co-incided with our own boys' Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour.

I didn't ever see Macca until May last year at the O2. I took my parents, who are the same age as him. Loved it. What a fantastic long 40 song show he does, playing 2 hrs 45 mins. I was so impressed I went to his very next show, in Birmingham, followed by further shows in Norway and Sweden. So far I'm doing Paris and Rock Werchter this year.

It's a totally different concert experience from the Stones for me. The Stones certainly generate far more crowd excitement than Macca and will always be my no 1. Macca plays about 25 Beatles songs in his set and has a huge body of work to draw on. He scores on sheer musicianship, playing an instrument as well as singing on every song. Bass/Electric/Ukelele/Grand Piano and Electric Piano, never leaving the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-31 17:51 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 31, 2016 18:35

I remember that animal rights video to well. I had to turn my head several times during it. That was on the 1993 euro tour. Don't know if/when it was played anywhere else. I know he's a big advocate for this but I thought it was a bit much. Sure he just wanted to make a point though. During the 2001/04 Euro tours he had the super long pre-show with dancers. I prefer the 2004 version, that was very entertaining.

Date: April 1, 2016 04:03

Yeah that was the Off the Ground tour and the song was Looking for Changes. Not a bad album, and some great songs in the setlist.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home