Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Oh No, Not You Again
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 12, 2013 18:28

The number was played at the Julliard press conference because the title line is so perfect for the occasion.
Self-mocking humour is something the Stones are really excellent at and in this case
it very neatly took the wind out of the sails of any sagging journalists' plans
to write something snide about "oh no not another Stones tour".

Let go of their ears - they know what they're doing.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 12, 2013 18:47

with sssoul
The number was played at the Julliard press conference because the title line is so perfect for the occasion.
Self-mocking humour is something the Stones are really excellent at and in this case
it very neatly took the wind out of the sails of any sagging journalists' plans
to write something snide about "oh no not another Stones tour".

Let go of their ears - they know what they're doing.

Bollocks - how do you know that then? Did Mick tell you himself? What kind of journalist is likely to write off a Stones tour? The papers are too happy getting column inches out of the old rockers.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 12, 2013 22:28

Good new song off of a good new album, it will always be special

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 12, 2013 23:15

...a decent filler.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 12, 2013 23:27

I like it. The lyrics make me chuckle and it is a nice fast rocker. Certainly no classic but I have heard much, much worse.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2013 04:43

I was excited by the performance at the press conference, but quite disappointed by the studio-take and subsequent live renditions. I thought it'd be more, but it's a mere filler.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 13, 2013 05:43

flacnvinyl

4. The hidden guitars are too low in the mix! In particular the 'first' note in the chorus. There is a great note that gets hit in the background and should have been front n center.

How loud in the mix should "hidden" guitars be? confused smiley

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: August 13, 2013 08:12

the worst song on the album

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: August 13, 2013 09:01

By far,the best song on Bigger Bang. Also,after the album was released they interviewed Mick Jagger. They asked him if any of the songs had personal meanings,and he said this song did.Seeing him sing this song in concert reminded me
of when he sang Some Girls in 1999.Sheer rock with a lot of emotion.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 13, 2013 09:14

Silver Dagger
Bollocks - how do you know that then? Did Mick tell you himself? What kind of journalist is likely to write off a Stones tour? The papers are too happy getting column inches out of the old rockers.

LoFL: by "bollocks" I guess you mean "golly! I never thought of that!"
It was 100% obvious at the press conference what the (clever and humourous) intent was,
but maybe that was overshadowed for you by the surprise that they debuted a brand new rocker that way
after everyone watching the PC preparations had been saying that would never ever happen, ever.

As for column inches ... sure, but as you've surely noticed there are plenty of papers (bloggers, etc)
that prefer the inches to consist of remarks about the band's collective weight plus some wheelchair'n'skeleton jokes.

The very pointed way Mick announced the title made the intention perfectly clear,
and quite a lot of the audience plainly got the joke. The number behind the disarming title was fit for purpose too.
All in all, one of the great Stones press conferences. Well done

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 17, 2013 15:39

Like It's Only Rock & Roll, this is a song that doesn't quite live up to its killer title, but it tries damn hard and it's a lot of fun to listen to (and a lot of fun to play, judging by that press conference video). Good lyrics spoiled by a couple of lines that try to be amusingly shocking but end up being just crude.

Sounds like a real incident - I wonder who she was?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 17, 2013 16:42

Agree with the folks who think it's a great title, but phoned-in filler.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 17, 2013 19:24

When i first heard this track i was really excited to hear the rest of the album. And we all know how that turned out..
I actually really like the lyrics, and the words for Biggest Mistake i love as well. Mick reflecting on his older years, not afraid to be his age. Just a shame he feels we can only accept his 25 year old self in concert.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2013 01:07

rollmops
I like it. I like this "garage" approach. Ron's guitar on the left and Keith "scratch-scratch" richards on the right trading riffs during the verse then full blown attach on the chorus. Lyrics are direct, no @#$%& around the bushes.The song sounds "drunk" like it could fall apart at any moment but for me it doesn't. I like that tension.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You summed it up perfectly, I love it as well!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2013 01:28

Good tune, but embarassing juvenile shite lyrics (did a 61 year old man REALLY write that? Shudder)

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 18, 2013 16:57

very good rocker.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 18, 2013 17:00

The song kicks butt. Love it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 18, 2013 17:22

I recall waiting with baited breath for online snippets of the album when it first came out, SOL, Rough Justice and Back of My Hand were first.

It was pure joy hearing those songs for the first time, even SOL (but for a moment). My favourite was Back of my Hand.

ONNYA I thought was excellent, save the stupid 'jello' line and I really thought the album was a great return to form. This Place is Empty is also excellent (again, save the tits line - what is it with mammary references on this album anyway?)

Having said that, they did appear to lose the sense of editing their material, the album I think was their longest ever. If they'd cut out 4 or 5 songs, and added Under The Radar, this would stand up as a classic.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2013 17:57

treaclefingers
...If they'd cut out 4 or 5 songs, and added Under The Radar, this would stand up as a classic.

Totally agree, and I have my choices of songs to remove:

Dangerous Beauty
Sweet Neo Con
Look What The Cat Dragged In

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 19:22

Loved it. My favorite on that cd/
It had that Respectable vibe to it...they hadn't sounded that raunchy and raucous since, well Some Girls.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 18, 2013 20:53

<A typical Stones-by-numbers tune, the band so much in their safe zone that is no wonder if not any creative spark is to be heard. Like noted above, the "energy" in delivery is rather illusional - a bit like a make up thing to hide the other weaknesses,...>

"illusional energy" as a cover-up....Nicely put and spot on. I have felt that for years.

<<Yes. To me, this actually speaks to a larger point: do the Stones understand, anymore, what really good music is? In other words, even as their creative fires have dimmed, has their aesthetic judgment remained, or has it disappeared too?>>

<<<Good tune, but embarassing juvenile shite lyrics (did a 61 year old man REALLY write that? Shudder)>>>

After so many years, what does one expect from the band? For me it is a good song, a well crafted song, a well played song and perhaps some honesty, maturity in the lyrics. For me there needs to be something there to appreciate even in a modest way. There are not going to be any more monster hits. What did Lennon say about song writing? Tell the truth, make it rhyme and give it a back beat. Honesty equates to me as some spark of creativity, some point of artistic courage. I do not think the band has it in it.

These are all inter-related comments and IMO hit at the heart of the matter with the band and has for a long time. I will add one other point: At some point for me the overwhelming negativity of the band, the put downs, the sleaziness, the misogyny, the sexual combat, became tedious. It permeates so much of its music. Once I realized that is really all Jagger has to say, some where along the way, I lost interest.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 19, 2013 01:24

pmk251

After so many years, what does one expect from the band? For me it is a good song, a well crafted song, a well played song and perhaps some honesty, maturity in the lyrics.

Agreed. At first I thought you meant ONNYA was "a good song, a well crafted song" etc, but then I realized you mean it is not.

Drew

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 19, 2013 03:22

Love it. Song kicks butt.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home