Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 6, 2013 01:49

...for all the nay sayers...I wonder where you were when the inflatable penis came around...or the inflatable wolf...or honkey tonk women.....

Re: GRRRegory creator Walton Ford on Stones fans - "I was glad that they didn’t like it "
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 6, 2013 01:50

I wouldn't want them on my wall either.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2013 01:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 6, 2013 01:56

What I think of the logo:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 02:40 by shadooby.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 6, 2013 01:57

ryanpow
When I listened to the Mick interview on the NPR thread, it rubbed me the wrong way when the interviewer asked him "Want to talk about Gimme Shelter? " and he says "No, not really, but I will.". I have the same reaction to this.

I couldn't agree more. I listened to the four of them online in a row and left Mick for last because I figured he would say something arrogant and dickish. And I was right; his comments were lazy and thoughtless. "That's Keith playing guitar, Charlie enters, blah, blah, blah.

The only thing interesting to me was that his harp solo was only two notes. Charlie and Ron were much more generous and kind. Keith just told the same story we've heard 1,000 times.

T@3

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 6, 2013 02:02

stonehearted
Big Al
The Stones have never used an animal in any of their promotional artwork before, have they?

Once, but it seemed to make a bit more sense.

There's more than 'Bridges To Babylon'. 'Goats Head Soup' and TOTA '75 f'rinstance.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 6, 2013 02:08

There's some serious monkey business going on here...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 6, 2013 02:30

TeaAtThree
ryanpow
When I listened to the Mick interview on the NPR thread, it rubbed me the wrong way when the interviewer asked him "Want to talk about Gimme Shelter? " and he says "No, not really, but I will.". I have the same reaction to this.

I couldn't agree more. I listened to the four of them online in a row and left Mick for last because I figured he would say something arrogant and dickish...

That's why I listened to his first, to get that out of the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 02:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 6, 2013 02:37

I preferred this myself but did think the gorilla was quite funny, for while, but it's this one that's got the staying power for me.........

Poster for the cancelled concerts in Cardiff and Pembroke castles in 1973

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 02:39 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 6, 2013 02:40

EddieByword
I preferred this myself but did think the gorilla was quite funny, for while, but it's this one that's got the staying power for me.........

See, this is what I want! More great posters like this! Gorilla-free!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 6, 2013 03:00

I hate it now because Walton Ford wanted to piss me off just because I'm a Stones Fan. F Gregory F Walton. Gorillas are God's waste time anyway...eat, crap, sleep and beat there chests. If you eliminate Gorillas from the planet it has absolutely no effect on the food chain or eco-system. One more thing, as you read in the article he just slapped tongue and lips on something existing, so he really didnt design nothing. ANY of us could has Photoshopped Tongue and Lips on anything too. Mick got ripped off by his "friend" LOLOLOL, this dick calls himself an artist because he uses pre-historic tools. F you Walton...f'ing dick

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 6, 2013 03:07

drake
GRRRegory is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad gimmic. Most of the people I know in daily life strongly disliked the cover. The reaction was not one of 'oh thats funny, very tongue n cheek.. punny, etc..', instead it was one of 'Did the Stones really think I would like this??' Dignified offense is how I would describe it.

Most of us are not 12 year old kids. I'm 30, most dedicated Stones fans I know are 45+, and honestly, none of us are too pleased by the cartoon crap...

Someone who was around, tell me how the Harlem Shuffle music video went over back in the day...

Very well as I recall. The mix of the Stones and animated figures was seen as very innovative. It was about the only aspect of Dirty Work that got a very favourable reaction.

Date: August 6, 2013 03:30

nick
I hate it now because Walton Ford wanted to piss me off just because I'm a Stones Fan. F Gregory F Walton. Gorillas are God's waste time anyway...eat, crap, sleep and beat there chests. If you eliminate Gorillas from the planet it has absolutely no effect on the food chain or eco-system. One more thing, as you read in the article he just slapped tongue and lips on something existing, so he really didnt design nothing. ANY of us could has Photoshopped Tongue and Lips on anything too. Mick got ripped off by his "friend" LOLOLOL, this dick calls himself an artist because he uses pre-historic tools. F you Walton...f'ing dick

And...as you can see above, the idea sticking some lips on an animal - albeit the above being mythological - wasn't even an original one........

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 6, 2013 03:34

EddieByword

That is only lithograph I ever purchased. Currently hanging on the wall above my main video editing workstation. Brilliant design...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2013 03:37

And...as you can see above, the idea sticking some lips on an animal - albeit the above being mythological - wasn't even an original one........

YEAH Big Ange wins that one ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2013 04:07

Rockman

You dirty bsatard............grinning smiley .........Lila does LA and Ange does animals.........

Date: August 6, 2013 04:09

flacnvinyl
EddieByword

That is only lithograph I ever purchased. Currently hanging on the wall above my main video editing workstation. Brilliant design...

I know, you said that before when I posted it, I was jealous then and still am...........

My sister was going to the Cardiff show.........until the local council got cold feet..............Show's off boys.............argghhh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 04:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 6, 2013 04:19

Not a fan of it and think the tour shirts with it are ugly but it fits the Stones I think.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 6, 2013 05:53

stonehearted
Big Al
The Stones have never used an animal in any of their promotional artwork before, have they?

What do you call this? smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 6, 2013 05:56

latebloomer
That made me laugh...a little to close to home, eh? grinning smiley

I remember my initial reaction to the gorilla was shock, it was completely unexpected. So I can't say I loved it from the beginning, but I never hated it. It grew on me and now I love it, can't imagine anything better.

Funny. I can't imagine anything worse.

The guy is obviously off his rocker. He has to defend something that completely sucks. It's hilarious.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 6, 2013 06:12

Rockman

I would have preferred one of his paintings without the added lips and tongue. I'm tired of every Stones project having to have an associated variation on the theme of the logo. It's a terrific logo, one of the best around, but enough.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 6, 2013 06:23

The artist is obnoxious. No one in their right minds is going to spend $7,500 on his hideous creation. The gorilla was an embarrassment, a lame attempt at corporate rebranding. I hated seeing it pop up on the video screen during the show, like subliminal advertising. I felt bad for Mick when people laughed at him drowning in L'Wren's gorilla coat. But he has only himself to blame: His fashion and artwork choices have been mostly lousy since the early '70s. The merchandise has become unbuyable.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: August 6, 2013 06:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:15 by camper88.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 6, 2013 06:43

bye bye johnny
stonehearted
Big Al

There's more than 'Bridges To Babylon'. 'Goats Head Soup' and TOTA '75 f'rinstance.

I seem to recall a mule on the cover of YA-YAS. There was a (kiwi?) bird on the '73 New Zealand tour poster. And there was another lion, on the "Beast Of Burden" sleeve.

Anyway, if Mick approached an artist known for his "King Kong" paintings, chances are he already had an idea about the direction in which he wanted the artwork to go, and Walton Ford just ran w/it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 6, 2013 07:21

He took the Stones' tongue logo and added it to King Kong. So it's not only bad art, it's lazy art.

Date: August 6, 2013 07:37

71Tele
He took the Stones' tongue logo and added it to King Kong. So it's not only bad art, it's lazy art.

It's a "send-up", not unlike the original logo, which was a send-up of paintings of the Hindu goddess Kali. They've done it numerous times, e.g., the Peelaert design for IORR, or the SG cover being a send-up of wig ads.

Noun

send-up (plural send-ups)

1.A satirical imitation of a work of art or a genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 07:41 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 6, 2013 07:47

GRRRegory is becoming off topic here. This Douche wanted to stick it to us.

‘How cool that I get an opportunity to piss their fans off?'

That's the line, remember it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-06 07:51 by nick.

Date: August 6, 2013 07:57

nick
GRRRegory is becoming off topic here. This Douche wanted to stick it to us.

‘How cool that I get an opportunity to piss their fans off?'

That's the line, remember it.

So, mission accomplished then, right?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 6, 2013 08:15

Ha-ha, funny story by the artist. Though I would agree with him on most accounts I have to wonder who he thinks will buy this expensive picture if "the fans" hate it. Is there enough people that buy paintings of bands they don't like? I did get one great piece of information though, didn't know it was meant as a metaphor of King Kong. That's pretty cool, and completely different to the gorilla marketing tool theory I once read somewhere on iorr. Anyhow, I did like the lips and fangs immediately, but the gorilla thing I didn't understand. I was on the fence with that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2013 08:59

It's right in line with the post-Wyman Stones, lazy, non-artistic and money grubbing. Most of the album covers post Tattoo You have been incoherent with little impact. I mean what the hell does Bridges to Babylon mean, and how does it tie in with the music created for that particular album? The spiked tongues for Voodoo Lounge were the last interesting piece I remember.

And good look with selling that kitschy (in a non-ironic way) junk for so much money. Guess where the only place you'd find such suckers with that kind of money willing to buy such crap? Hard-core Stones fans, nimrod. So, Walton, the feeling is mutual....f-off. Now don't get anGRRRy.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home