Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love Is Strong - for Chelsea and Rank.
Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 15, 2005 22:26

Wanted to spare people this tirade on the Jagger Lyrics post. You think the song is strong?

Not only are the lyrics weak - so is the music- EXCEPT the harmonica.

Plodding bass - dum, dum, dum, etc.

Drums - dead flat sound, no life or nothing remotely interesting going on.

Keith's guitar - so obvious and non-original cf Wicked as it Seems.

Ronnie's Guitar (overdubbed) - splurts in so obviously.

Totally mock tension. Risable.

Clean production. All instruments cleanly separated. Nothing remotely approaching studio chemistry.

One nice harmonica link can not deliver this dire dirge.

If ANYONE finds this stuff convincing they desperately need to get an injection of life-spirit.

(Speaking of which, and by complete coincidence, my four-year-old daughter has just chosen a T Dice from Montreux session - now that's Jagger singing as if he gives a shit).

(Now it's Let It Loose -they sure do).

Re: Love Is Strong - for Chelsea and Rank.
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: April 15, 2005 22:32

I like the song very much - it's among the classics for me.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 15, 2005 22:37

Deidre (A fellow Dirty Work devotee!),

You make a lot of good points. The only saving grace of the song in my mind is Jagger's vocal. Like all of his studio work since SW, he's really strong here.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: April 15, 2005 22:39

(Reply to JKF).

Very convincing!

Well, now Potted Shrimp is running, which is an out-take and it rips the roof off anything on VL. Charlie and Taylor. Whole damn deal. Wow they had FUN.

And no daft lyrics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-15 22:41 by Deidre.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 15, 2005 23:15

I don't like Love Is Strong very much and i agree with pretty much everything Deidre writes. It's a very hollow sounding song which has very little to recommend.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: April 15, 2005 23:46

Deirdre is weak, dum - dum, dead flat, ridiculous, miserable, damfool, foolish, hilarious, laughable, laughworthy, ludicrous, outrageous, silly, unbelivable, comical, absurd, derisory, farcial, preposterous, bizarre, imbecile

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: April 16, 2005 00:05

Talk about OVER-analyzing.

Great song and great in concert and a mistake to replace it during the VL tour with SFTD.

Date: April 16, 2005 03:17

fxc,

Think yourself lucky - that was the abridged critique!

Here's an even shorter one. The main riff is not interesting/new. The vocal line follows the same pattern as the guitar. The beat plods. There is one change of pace which builds up to a ridiculous 'climax' "we make a beautiful team", or "I need some time". You need some time? Er. Ok. I see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-16 03:27 by Deidre.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 16, 2005 07:14

IMO LIS just pretty much ...is. I can not honestly judge this song out side of my whole Rolling-Stoned-World. It kind of grooves along and doesn't do that much. But since it IS a Stonestune I have to consider it.
Now on STONES terms it is weak. I blame @#$%& Don Was. here Keith comes with a dead rip on Wicked. He has just relased the damn song, right? And a real producer who wasn't all starstruck from being in the same room with the Glimmer Twins would have said "Look Keith, yeah nice riff. But how about something new?" But Was gushes "Oh genius! He is extrapolating on the musical themes explored on the Wicked opus..."
I still stand by what I say about the lyrix. My opinion is that in LIS the words really do not matter. Now WHY they don't matter seems to be another discussion.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: April 16, 2005 09:41

I don't understand how you can be sooooo hostile towards a song by a band you suppossedly like. It's NOT a piece of shit song. No, it's not Tumblin' Dice but then few of their songs, (of late), are.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: April 16, 2005 12:49

Thanks for the frank replies, guys.

To explain my hostility......and utter disdain!.......here's the context:-

Dirty Work I liked. Lyrics, the whole package. Lots of new ideas there in every department. Jagger singing with some passion and conviction. Didn't mind the 3-year wait for that.

Like SW even better - more of a genuine band feel - again, new ideas and some new styles. A fresh energy and loadsa great Keith solos. Well worth the wait. Great tour(s). Triumphant return.

Then FIVE years. Their longest gap ever. So much anticipation......but also trepidation.......how would a Bill-less Stones sound?

Then came the answer...

First track on Voodoo...........OH MY GIDDY GOAT!!!!!(couldn't quite bring myself to blaspheme there).

"Is this peice of lifeless tripe the best they could come up with?" I didn't analyze, I just listened in appalled shock. The next track was even worse and the one after worse still. They were Fifty-year olds trying to regain their 'outrageous' dangerous, image. They'd lost any band-feel. That awfully slick production. Sad, sad, sad.

I'll spare you the rest. But tremendous disappointment...because I cared. And for the first time I didn't get the feeling that they did care. Whole project an exercise in marketing, manipulation, image-creation.

The ones where I feel Jagger is not singing from his head, (and Keith etc playing from their heads), is Moon is Up and Out of Tears, Mean Disposition.

But hey, I've liked 3 of their last four albums, so hope I can still be considered a 'contemporary' Stones' fan. Only, listening to GHS outtakes last night - really put things in perspective. (And that was my daughter's fault, honest!)

I won't die of shock, (you'll be disappointed to hear!), if the next album's a Turkey.

No Expectations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-16 12:51 by Deidre.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 16, 2005 14:25

Deidre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Well, now Potted Shrimp is running, which is an
> out-take and it rips the roof off anything on VL.

Deidre, we agree at last! And now the 1.000.000 Dollar question: Is PS better than BTZ?

Date: April 16, 2005 15:24

Deidre, when you're right, you're right.

Date: April 16, 2005 18:40

Shrimp, I knew this thread would be worthwhile!

Answer: PS is not better than BTZ. They are both very good, just in different ways.

One million dollars please. (Cheque payable to Dame Deidre 'Doodlebug' Broom-Duster, c/o BV @iorr.org).

And your question, (for $999,999, (incl. postage)):

Are you sure the song named in your honour is from 1970/71 and not a GHS out-take?

My studio-boot (IORR) says it was done in at Elektra, California, 1972. The (wonderful)wah-wah makes me think '72, not earlier.

Chelsea,

So you love BTZ too?! Cheers.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 16, 2005 19:05

What I don't like:

The bass line, the wanna-be-sexy vox, the tempo (too slow)

All in all, I agree, a lame wais ...

Still, if you add a funky bass and speed up the tempo, it't ain't that bad!

C

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 16, 2005 19:09

Potted Shrimp recorded:

17 - 31 October 1970 Newbury, Stargroves. (and I Think PS is 'SLIGHTLY' better than BTZ................)

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: April 16, 2005 20:00

love is strong is a good song.deidres comments are totally nonsens.a real dummy.dirty work a good album?one of their worst ever

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2005 20:19

Love Is Strong is the last of the great Stones songs.
The harp wails and the guitars are battling it out the whole way. Charlies drums kick ass.

After that we had "Anybody Seen My Baby".

What the @#$%& was that?

The rapping in the middle of that song destroyed it, and when listened to today, it is completely outdated...probably more so than any Stones song. Mid-nineties crap from the worlds greatest rock band. If we were to judge the Stones based on "Anybody Seen...", I 'd say that they pretty much suck. Even U2 has had better days.

Date: April 16, 2005 22:03

Hairbrain,

No point in repeating myself......but as for the drums.....they pat one politely on the bottom. You must have a very sensitive posterior, darling.

But you raised a good theme......'Last of the Great Stones' Songs'.

Worthy of another thread perhaps.......but for my trading-chips......One HiT.

Date: April 16, 2005 22:09

Has anyone heard The Stones do LIS live? I have not. What is BTZ? And, how do I obtain acopy of that and PS?

Also, I have alway's heard that The Stones wrote "Silver Train" for Johnny Winter, is that true? Because I believe he did release a recorded version before the release of GHS. BTW, I'm listening to the remastered GLIYWI . The original LP I had as a kid was pretty awful but this remaster rocks.

Date: April 16, 2005 22:21

Rank,

BTZ is Back To Zero, which I like but which Potted Shrimp doesn't like.

PS is Potted Shrimp - a 70s out-take track,(also user-name of erstwhile IORR person).

Good news about the remaster.

Date: April 16, 2005 22:27

The only saving grace from the song One Hit is the guitar by Jimmy Page.

The rest is sad, sad, sad...the back-up singing, mechanical drums, etc....the beginning of the downward spiral I'd say. And what about the video of this song? It's been years since I've seen it, but the stench still lingers in my brain. Complete nonsense!

Date: April 16, 2005 22:34

So Deidre, how can I hear these infamous out-takes?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2005 23:08

Potted Shrimp - Olympic Sound Studios 1970

The Trident Mixes - CD689
Ultra Rare Trax vol 3 - TGP CD103
Hillside Blues - VGP214

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2005 23:38

Rock, where can I get them? Cd Universe?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2005 01:27

VGP should be the easiest to find....try Buy Sell Trade first or Ebay

Let me know if you have no luck.

ROCKMAN

Date: April 17, 2005 02:19

Back To Zero is not a Stones song. Appeard on DW by absolute mistake. While keith wasn't looking Jagger pirated this outtake of him and his little whipping boy du jour, Chuckie, on to the record.

Date: April 17, 2005 02:44

Chelsea,

I like so many things about this track......but one of the best.....Keiths' and Rons' guitar "converstion". I've always considered it their show really.

Hairbrain,

Yes, Jimmy P's guitar is great. But it's mere icing. The Cake is in Keith's and Ronnie's work. That electric rhythm is SO Pure Keith - totally arresting and gut-gripping. (Far more committed than anything on Undercover). And the jingling acoustic as intro. .... and throughout. Other guitars going on. Dense.

We'll differ without begging.

Date: April 17, 2005 03:20

Diedre...may I call you Detritus?

You have some valid points regarding One Hit. I do like the accoustic, but it's been so damn long since I took the time to give it a fair listen, that I've simply forgotten the qualities of the tune.

Still though, Undercover had some gems on it such as Too Much Blood. The afro-carribean rhythm section and that whacky horn section! If it weren't such a dance tune, I'd say it rocks!!!

Love Is Strong was a comeback in some ways from the disastrous '80's sound of Steel Wheels, etc. The Stones seemed to be seeking and yearning for the glory days when they relied on their simple production and pure rock and roll essence. Perhaps a bit contrived sounding, but it had the essence of the signature Stones sound, unlike many others before or since.

Date: April 17, 2005 06:08

The quote: "I don't wanna pop!!!"
Heady stuff, I daresay. Jagger tackles socio-eco-politico-atkinsdietical-matic issues. Paralleled only by the Keithian dogma on extra marital relations: "...cause you're married anyway...ow shit!"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home