Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Paul McCartney's Son on David Letterman Show
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 31, 2013 03:25

Did anybody else catch him on guitar last nite? Was so underwhelmed, forgot his first name. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: OT-Paul McCartney's Son on David Letterman Show
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 31, 2013 05:16

James, same as his father.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:20

This doesn't bode well for the Sons of The Beatles project.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:27

He was on LETTERMAN once before with a band and was first-rate. But last night his solo acoustic song was two chords—and barely different chords—over and over. Two chords can work in rock if you have Keith and Charlie bashing a lot of sloppy feel into those chords. But a solo acoustic number requires at least three chords! He could carry the tune alright, but I was really disappointed after being impressed with his prior time on LETTERMAN, with that tight band backing him.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:35

The first time he was on Letterman he just seemed weird, like a chunky, bald Paul that couldn't sing. Last night he was listenable but still the two chords were a bit much. I can't tell if he's putting people on, or what. Must be terrible to be in the shadow of such a giant that you can't figure out what to do with your life to make it worthwhile without trying to do the same thing.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:48

not impressed .i think it would have come across better if he had a band backing him .unless you are dylan or neil young or bruce !

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 31, 2013 14:04

As I understand this is just a way to get Sir Paul to the show. So Sir Paul will probably be on Letterman very soon now.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 31, 2013 14:55

Long John Stoner

Stephen Stills is his father.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 14:58 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 31, 2013 15:13

!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 12:39 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 31, 2013 20:56

Miserable bastard

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 1, 2013 00:31

tatters
Long John Stoner
Stephen Stills is his father.

Holy crap, you nailed it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 05:18

Well, it is interesting. I think a lot of this is James coming out of a fog of many years of struggles with family and his mental health. I have read a bit about his battles and it must have been even harder being so public and in Paul's shadow. I am not too into his music, but I do think that at least he is getting out there and trying. This seems like something personal he needed to do for himself and his family. Who am I to judge it. I just don't need to buy his music, but also respect what he is trying to do.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 1, 2013 06:31

Hadn't he been Macca's son he would be anyware near to a Letterman show.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: August 1, 2013 07:43

All paid for with Daddy's money. If he went on X Factor (yuck I know) he would be kicked off PDQ but the McCartney name and money will overcome any obstacle.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 08:10

What happened to the band? I liked him better with them:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2013 08:27

...saw it ... didn't get a thing from it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 1, 2013 09:07

Big Al
Miserable bastard

yeah, profoundly unhappy.

He sights the stones as an influence and 'thanks them' on his album...maybe this topic isn't OT after all?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:20

BlackHat
All paid for with Daddy's money. If he went on X Factor (yuck I know) he would be kicked off PDQ but the McCartney name and money will overcome any obstacle.

I daresay that the vast majority of bands or artists liked by people on this board would suffer a similar fate.

Thankfully.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 1, 2013 16:00

I haven't listened to James McCartney much..indifferent about what I have heard..
but when a guy decides to put his work out there, perform, make himself known through his work all the while knowing he'll be subject to all the comparisons to beatles this and Paul that..

that's brave at least. he'll either grow and mature or become a curiosity..risky of him to enter into that..

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 2, 2013 01:48

Gazza
BlackHat

I daresay that the vast majority of bands or artists liked by people on this board would suffer a similar fate.

Probably so.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 2, 2013 04:32

Big Al
Miserable bastard

I couldn't get through this...Wretched.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 2, 2013 05:32

He certainly is not happy, and he doesn't smile at all, not when he shakes Letterman's hand after performing his song and not once during the BBC interview clip. In any photo you see of him, you need only look at his eyes and the expression surrounding them to see the despair that resides within.

James McCartney: "It's really not great to be here...."

"You say hello, and I say, Who cares?...."

It cannot have been easy growing up Beatle, and there are numerous cases of bitterness (Julian Lennon) and other problems of adjustment, such as with Heather McCartney about which was written at length by Howard Sounes in his Macca bio Fab.

Another Beatle offspring who cringes under the enormous shadowy weight of being Fab progeny is Jason Starkey, second son of Ringo and Maureen.

Jason Starkey, born in 1967.

Jason worked in the music industry, becoming a road manager and drummer. He once said: “Being Ringo Starr’s son is the biggest drag of my life. It’s a total pain. In 1987, Jason was fined £125 after being caught stealing a car stereo, and in 1989 appeared twice in court on drugs charges. He lives in London with his wife and two kids.

Source: [www.feelnumb.com]

Another site on Beatle offspring: [www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 2, 2013 06:41

The Sons of Beatles are already in their angry "Let It Be" phase.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: August 2, 2013 07:08

I would think being a child of a Beatle or any famous musician that chose to go into music, would never have a chance to be looked at as anything other than the child of. They would have to understand this hugh draw back going into music as a career choice. On one hand they have a hugh advantage and on the other its a no win situation.... I wish him the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-02 07:12 by ohcarol.

Date: August 2, 2013 07:14

Thanks for all your input, guys. You are a hoot! >grinning smiley<
After James played, my impression of both the audience's & Paul's band's reactions were just flat, stunned silence. All knew this was the blood of a legend in front of them but nobody knew where to go with it. I wouldn't have known for sure it was Paul McCartney's son except for the facial family resemblance. Don't follow the Sons of Beatles.
And yes, it's hard to grow up in the shadow of any famous parents...or not, the way most of us did. confused smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 2, 2013 14:27

71Tele
Big Al
Miserable bastard

I couldn't get through this...Wretched.

Funny bloke he really isn't...does he?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 2, 2013 14:30

I have read that he struggled with depression for a long time, and most probably is on meds. He had a significant struggle after Linda died. He was very close to Paul, and then Paul started seeing Heather him and James fell out. James was not a fan of Heather. They did patch up. Life as Paul's son must had been hard. Its so hard...

Date: August 3, 2013 08:21

whitem8
I have read that he struggled with depression for a long time, and most probably is on meds. He had a significant struggle after Linda died. He was very close to Paul, and then Paul started seeing Heather him and James fell out. James was not a fan of Heather. They did patch up. Life as Paul's son must had been hard. Its so hard...

Similar to stories I hear from my friends....things is tough all over! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 3, 2013 11:29

I'd never seen a picture of him before. The facial resemblance is stunning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home