Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Best 5 Minutes Of The Tour...
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:55

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
What's the combined time of Lady Jane from O2 and Ruby Tuesday from Hyde Park?

Lady Jane is just a nice song, but Ruby T. is a masterpiece. But what a poor rendition at Hyde Park! Gimme the studio version any time. I prefer the live rendition done by Melanie Safka much more. This live version is bloodless and soulless. A singalong mass song. Good grief.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? confused smiley

Beautifully sung, performed and played. Some ace tenor-playing from Tim.

Excellent rendition that really casted new life to this song, imo.

Yeah Dandie, some of us listen with a critical ear to the Stones too.cool smiley

You know that I do, too, kleerie.

Why was this version weak - Mick's singing? Keith's playing?, Charlie's drumming? The sax playing Brian's part? The interplay? The sound? The ending wasn't tight enough?

Usually, when I criticise something I tell why. I'll await your grounds with particular interest, as this was a version I really enjoyed on the new live album.

The singing is horrible, the guitars poor, the tempo too fast and I miss any soul. In a word: the melancholic, nostalgic mood of the song doesn't come across at all.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:01

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

Lady Jane is just a nice song, but Ruby T. is a masterpiece. But what a poor rendition at Hyde Park! Gimme the studio version any time. I prefer the live rendition done by Melanie Safka much more. This live version is bloodless and soulless. A singalong mass song. Good grief.

Yeah Dandie, some of us listen with a critical ear to the Stones too.cool smiley

Why was this version weak - Mick's singing? Keith's playing?, Charlie's drumming? The sax playing Brian's part? The interplay? The sound? The ending wasn't tight enough?

Usually, when I criticise something I tell why. I'll await your grounds with particular interest, as this was a version I really enjoyed on the new live album.

The singing is horrible, the guitars poor, the tempo too fast and I miss any soul. In a word: the melancholic, nostalgic mood of the song doesn't come across at all.

eye popping smiley

65.000 disagree with here. And I think you're provable wrong on all accounts smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 16:02

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty

eye popping smiley

65.000 disagree with here. And I think you're provable wrong on all accounts smiling smiley

If the mass has to decide ...

Date: August 1, 2013 16:08

Of course not.

Well, my point is that you are contradicting yourself here. The tempo isn't too fast, and if you don't like Mick's singing here, you surely wouldn't like it on MR, Sway or CYHMK either - something you never bring up when you talk about those songs (because Taylor is guesting on them, perhaps? winking smiley )

There is more soul in this version than in all the Sways and CYHMKs on this tour combined, imo. From Keith's acoustic playing and back up vocals - via Charlie's elegant touch on the drum rolls to the beautiful singing and sax playing.

It's ok that you don't like it, kleerie, but tossing out tempo flaws and bad singing just won't do here winking smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Of course not.

Well, my point is that you are contradicting yourself here. The tempo isn't too fast, and if you don't like Mick's singing here, you surely wouldn't like it on MR, Sway or CYHMK either - something you never bring up when you talk about those songs (because Taylor is guesting on them, perhaps? winking smiley )

There is more soul in this version than in all the Sways and CYHMKs on this tour combined, imo. From Keith's acoustic playing and back up vocals - via Charlie's elegant touch on the drum rolls to the beautiful singing and sax playing.

It's ok that you don't like it, kleerie, but tossing out tempo flaws and bad singing just won't do here winking smiley

I've said the arrangement of Sway and Jagger's singing on it sucked big time. For reasons of politeness I've nothing said about Ronnie's slide piece.

I also have said the Ramblers were played in the style of the current band. That must tell you enough I guess. Jagger's singing on the Knockings was ok, but not góód. He was also much helped by the back up singers.

The tempo of both Sway and Ruby T. just kills those songs: really too fast. Consequence is that the mood of the song stuck in the mud. Jagger's singing on RT is mannered to my ears. But you know the mass accepts and loves everything the Stones do. They're living legends, living Mme Tussaud dolls. It is as if you are a witness of the glorious past. But, like Ruby, it's gone a long time ago.

Date: August 1, 2013 16:23

The tempo is not too fast. That's easy to establish.

You are perhaps talking about the dynamics - the slow-downs after each chorus - the build-ups and then the stuff that happens right before the choruses?

Date: August 1, 2013 16:29

DandelionPowderman
The tempo is not too fast. That's easy to establish.

You are perhaps talking about the dynamics - the slow-downs after each chorus - the build-ups and then the stuff that happens right before the choruses?

Maybe our expert His Majesty can let shine his light on this issue?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2013 19:18

The audiences sang along to the very rough versions of Ruby Tuesday in 1967 too. grinning smiley

In 2013 Tim Ries played Brian's recorder lines (on soprano sax) far better than Brian himself played them live in 1967. Focusing on Tim's playing, seems to me he is very in tune with the feel and atmosphere of the studio version.

Focusing on the whole band, seems to me the feel and meaning of the song takes hold of them all to differing degrees. It is a powerful song that makes you muse on things and lives gone by. Maybe I'm just projecting though, but I don't think so. This Hyde Park version just gave me goosebumps. smiling smiley

The Rolling Stones project take on Ruby Tuesday with Tim on tenor sax and Bernard on vocals is babababa-beautiful!

If Keith did indeed write both melody and lyrics he was/is @#$%& amazing!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 19:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: August 1, 2013 19:29

From what i´ve heard Streetfighting Man from second Hyde Park is hard to beat, i´ve heard it performed great before but Hyde Park version was Stones magic.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: August 1, 2013 20:27

My best five m. "in concert": sorry for the cliche but... the last 5 minutes of the stones actually on stage at HP 2nd... 2.5 last minutes of satisfaction and 2.5 m of crowd cheering and fireworks... MJ on the catwalk singing than running back to the stage and the crowd get crazy... 2 last rounds by him to the stage corners and the show is over. Am thinking to myself "god he is a PRO". who can hear anything from satisfaction live anyway? just cheers and fringes of riffs... but still magical 5 minutes. Definetly after all these month and the ticketmaster flops back before the O2 gigs that left me with blue balls.

Best 5 minutes "musically"? Gimmie Shelter with Florence Welsh! loves it. Shes natural for stones live thing.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: August 1, 2013 20:53

When they counted the money?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 1, 2013 21:08

steini
From what i´ve heard Streetfighting Man from second Hyde Park is hard to beat, i´ve heard it performed great before but Hyde Park version was Stones magic.

Yep! That one was the best from both Hyde Park concerts! It was incredible to watch live!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home