Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Doxa, how about your Hyde Park concert?
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 29, 2013 22:59

I always enjoy reading your posts. If you gave your review already , i missed it.
I would love to know your thoughts about 2013 Stones after seeing them live...

Re: Doxa, how about your Hyde Park concert?
Date: July 29, 2013 23:12

He said something about MR being the best ever...

Just kidding, Doxa, we're awaiting a full report smiling smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:49

Can I add my name to those interested? Please say you enjoyed it!

Date: July 31, 2013 17:32

Hum, i really thought a lot of people would be interested in this.
Doxa, one of the finest posters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 31, 2013 17:36

We were due to meet up there but never heard from him. Hope he made it.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 31, 2013 17:56

I thought IORR was a community, not The Doxa Show.

Doxa, have you ever drank water? If so, did you like it? Can you write a ten thousand word essay on your thoughts regarding water? Thanks! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2013 18:03

GumbootCloggeroo
I thought IORR was a community, not The Doxa Show.

Doxa, have you ever drank water? If so, did you like it? Can you write a ten thousand word essay on your thoughts regarding water? Thanks! tongue sticking out smiley

water essay in one word:

"QUENCHING!"

Date: July 31, 2013 18:32

Of course this is a community, a Stones community, and i am just asking one of its finest posters about his impressions about a Stones concert not about water or some other stupid item.
Sorry if you don´t like it Gumboo, but you are totally wrong.
You sound kind of jealous....

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 31, 2013 18:34

What exactly am I jealous about, varilla?

Date: August 1, 2013 00:16

That we want Doxas review and not yours.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 1, 2013 02:45

varilla
That we want Doxas review and not yours.

Who is "we"?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2013 02:51

Hmmm.... still figuring out what to say, since I truely think I'm not qualified to judge a show that seems to be for everyone such a celebrated thing... but thanks for asking, varilla.

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2013 02:58

Doxa
Hmmm.... still figuring out what to say, since I truely think I'm not qualified to judge a show that seems to be for everyone such a celebrated thing... but thanks for asking, varilla.

- Doxa

Did you have fun?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 1, 2013 03:00

I suspect that Doxa is of the mind that it is better to say nothing then to say something not so completely nice?

Date: August 1, 2013 03:33

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

Did you have fun?

Oh yeah... eight hours under the sun to keep the spot in front...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 1, 2013 06:07

Doxa

- Doxa

Ok, how about the 24 years of shows previous to that? How do you feel about that whole period?

Date: August 1, 2013 10:20

Okay, let's try to say something. Actually it is rather to do a "review", since there is so much invested in the experience, and so many ways to look at it.

First of all, it was a tremendous event - and taking all the nostalgia involved, that very place, rather accaptable ticket prices - which actually was even more than I thought beforehand. Never seen so many tongue shirts in my life, and what was even more, so many young - or relatively young - people wearing them. The Stones really gather so many different people from different places together. For a long time Stones fan that was really heart warming. The whole atmosphere, not only inside the gates, but in that whole part of London was breathing The Rolling Stones. One felt like witnessing something unique and significant. Even though Ray Davies was great in previous night - thanks Elton! - and the whole big crowd beautifully sing-alonging in that warm night "Waterloo Sunset" etc., it was clear in the moment one stepped in to to the festival arena in Saturday, and that now we are heading for altogether "bigger" thing.

One thing for a certain. The Rolling Stones is much bigger thing than the whole Hyde Park Summer Festival or whatever it is called. Made one almost feel sad for all those nice pubs and bars and whatever there was all around, since they really were secondary, and a rather huge bulk of people just headed to get a spot as near as possible to the main arena. Me too. And even more harder it was for the other performers - of which I didn't know any - who really were struggling in trying to entertain the Rolling Stones audience. Each of them sounded like trying to apologize their existence in that context. In a theory they were as equal as The Stones as performers, but in a practise - there was only one reason why all those people were there.

Of course, my view considers only the "poor side of town" - I suppose for the people who had paid so called typical prices for a recent Rolling Stones concert, it might have been a bit different, since they had a "place in the sun" by a lesser effort. But we poor multitude buggers had surely the sun, but damn long day under it.... (but the five-pound cold beers made it easier, if only one could get through the crowd, which, by every token turned to be more and more difficult..)

Let this continue... winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 1, 2013 10:26

I'm very jealous of you getting the Ray Davies-show! I tried to go back just to catch it, but couldn't make it happen smiling smiley

Did he play some deep cuts as well (I've seen the warhorses/singalong-numbers on video)?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 1, 2013 10:33

There are people on here that post really interesting and informative posts.
There are also some on here that write absolute rubbish,including myself ,at times, that we can just ignore.

It's always nice to read something of interest on here ,especially in the 'off season' when not many Stones sightings or tour news. winking smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 10:46

DandelionPowderman
I'm very jealous of you getting the Ray Davies-show! I tried to go back just to catch it, but couldn't make it happen smiling smiley

Did he play some deep cuts as well (I've seen the warhorses/singalong-numbers on video)?

I'm not any deep fan of Davies in the sense I would know all his stuff, and since I knew every song he did, I guess there was no deep cuts. Very strongly Kinks emphasized, and even within it - to use our vocabulary - "war horses" oriented. All the classics. Which was very fine with me - which I guess suits to "typical" Stones audience as well. Funnily, I recall thinking while watching his set and doing my little sing-a-long contribution, this is like it mostly feels like to majority Stones audiences. Sometimes it is not good to be a "hardcore fan" - one loses some authentic, beautiful moments, when good, quality music just charms you.

- Doxa

Date: August 1, 2013 10:51

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I'm not any deep fan of Davies in the sense I would know all his stuff, and since I knew every song he did, I guess there was no deep cuts. Very strongly Kinks emphasized, and even within it - to use our vocabulary - "war horses" oriented. All the classics. Which was very fine with me - which I guess suits to "typical" Stones audience as well. Funnily, I recall thinking while watching his set and doing my little sing-a-long contribution, this is like it mostly feels like to majority Stones audiences. Sometimes it is not good to be a "hardcore fan" - one loses some authentic, beautiful moments, when good, quality music just charms you.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 1, 2013 13:32

Doxa
Sometimes it is not good to be a "hardcore fan" - one loses some authentic, beautiful moments, when good, quality music just charms you.

- Doxa

Classic Doxa!

It is things like is that makes people ask for your opinions.

smileys with beer

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2013 14:55

Still waiting for the review ...

Date: August 2, 2013 10:34

You've already criticised the show heavily yourself. Why do you need a review?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 2, 2013 15:08

DandelionPowderman
You've already criticised the show heavily yourself. Why do you need a review?

I didn't, except the rendition of Ruby T. But even then I'm always interested in some people's opinions. One of them is Doxa for well known reasons.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 2, 2013 16:08

It seems that this interest around Doxa's reviews are not so much about his opinion, than it is about admiration for his prose. That is fine, but instead of asking about his opinion, you can ask for some nice written paragraphs about the stones. That would be more in line with your expectations.

I think Doxa could make some good money writing a book about the stones.

Date: August 2, 2013 18:46

Good prose indeed, but substantial opinion also, one of the best in this forum

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 10, 2013 00:43

Dear Doxa,
did you really like the show of ray davis? I saw the kinks in 1993 and was excited of this free-show in london. I ws lucky to see him and listen to all the great kinks-hits once again. And he did it in hyde park which was great because the kinks were so "london"!
But: he missed the tune too often and his perfomance was so weak not only in my opinion. he went very old. The stones in the next day were so fresh and groovy, I couldn´t believe ist. Ok, the setlist could have been more experimental to make me happy, but if you compare the power of a Mick Jagger with Ray Davis - swinging London is longime gone.
But it was a weekend I will never forget!!!!

P.S. please keep on posting, your thoughts are very welcome!

Date: August 10, 2013 12:34

Deardoctor, I need to say that I have no comparison of Davies/Kinks shows, since this was the first time I saw the guy. True that he had some problems sometimes to stay in tune, but to my eyes he did a marvellous job. I think he had a dignity. And yeah, like you, I had those feelings that it was exceptional - being in London and all that. During the "Waterloo Sunset", I recall thinking The Stones need to continue here and do "Street Fighting Man" - which they gladly did!

Jagger is a different animal altogether, and I can't really make comparisons to Davies. Mick is a living miracle, almost unhuman force of nature, who we admire from a distance, while Davies is so immediate to the crowd, so human. And in a way there is nothing so capturing in the man himself, but it is just the songs and his voice which makes trick, while Jagger is an attraction, or a show, of its own, the great songs just being the part of it.

- Doxa

Date: August 10, 2013 12:58

Hmm... I guess I need to say a few words about the Stones performance as well, even though I'm not usually keen on making reviews of my concert experiences, because they tend to be so, how can I say, subjective. But let me try.

Like I said above, to me the whole thing was more of an event, a great big party, of which the whole crowd - a big Stones family - made a huge part, so actually how did the band perform, was secondary. But like many have said, they did a good show, and the audience loved every moment of it. So to say anything more "objective", "critical" or more "serious" about it, sounds like missing the point. Pragmatically speaking, the band played exactly as good as was needed. We were all having fun, and the band provided us exactly the soundtrack or show we were waiting for.

For example, when the band started, and Keith screwed up the intro of "Start Me Up", I didn't notice anything at all - how could I? I was jumping and screaming my lungs out, and totally excited as a hardcore fan can be when hearing and seeing - what is, for five years? - the Stones live. It was this kind of feeling which carry me through the first numbers, so no time or interest to make any (mental) notes. And I suppose for to get that feeling I was travelled there and put some euros on the table.

More to come. (I am afraid this is going to be a long story...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 13:03 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home